Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Hell yes. PM me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Awesome I want to sign up for some 'Mech carnage too! PM works for me or email holybat2003@yahoo.com

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Knowing that eventually I will have a turn has caused me to play some random matches against the AI just so that I can get used to some of the nuances of the system. I think I'll be ready to get headcapped on the first turn of firing now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Maybe all Goons have a secret Edge score of 1.

This way it'll take at least two turns to get headcapped.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
All you new folks should hop into the #megamek channel on irc. People will be happy to start megamek games and introduce you to the perils of the dice in BT.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
And the perils of playing really badly and standing behind cover when there is a justice foot around.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
AtlantisMantis has now timed out. Shadow Gamer is up in the Gladiator!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Everybody is hating the poor Gladiator. :smith: Won't someone hop in the saddle and slay its enemies?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Man I'll gladly take a Gladiator.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
So would I. The Gladiator might be my favourite mech in this mission.

Well, after the Raven. Go Raven!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Not that Raven. That Raven is an abomination.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
No, it's not. I'm pretty sure that picture that has been posted here has been retconned at some point. :colbert:

Sarna also depicts this as the RVN-1X.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

It doesn't have a proper Beagle Active Probe, it is an abomination. :mad:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

No, it's not. I'm pretty sure that picture that has been posted here has been retconned at some point. :colbert:

Sarna also depicts this as the RVN-1X.

EWE is an abomination; Ergo, the primitive Raven is an abomination as well. Sorry to do this to you.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Pfff, judging it by the rules. You are all so very shallow!

Unlike me, who only judges it by its looks. :smugbert:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
A Raven kills a Timber Wolf in the Mechcommander intro. Ergo the Raven is badass.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

Pfff, judging it by the rules. You are all so very shallow!

Unlike me, who only judges it by its looks. :smugbert:

All the awesome mechs look completely derpy. I wouldn't ever be able to give up any of those mechs, so I just try to forget what they look like when I gush over them.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

KnoxZone posted:

All the awesome mechs look completely derpy. I wouldn't ever be able to give up any of those mechs, so I just try to forget what they look like when I gush over them.

For me it's the other way round. I have a hard time enjoying playing a mech, no matter how awesome its loadout is, when it is ugly. Style over substance, I guess.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Fil5000 posted:

A Raven kills a Timber Wolf in the Mechcommander intro. Ergo the Raven is badass.

Oh, that's right. I knew there was some reason why seeing Ravens fills me with a cold rage and a need to alpha strike.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Oh, that's right. I knew there was some reason why seeing Ravens fills me with a cold rage and a need to alpha strike.

It should be clarified that if the Timber Wolf's rear armor hadn't been wrecked (and its pilot's attention distracted) by the flight of LRMs from the Centurion, the Raven would have died quickly and painfully.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

landcollector posted:

It should be clarified that if the Timber Wolf's rear armor hadn't been wrecked (and its pilot's attention distracted) by the flight of LRMs from the Centurion, the Raven would have died quickly and painfully.

To be fair, though, setting up those backshots was the point of the exercise. The whole point of the video is about how teamwork, as coordinated by you, the MechCommander, could let out gunned Sphere 'mechs beat technically superior Clan 'mechs.

And that Davion colonels like to feel pretty when invading a planet.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
What you both mean is how lovely the Mad Cat is in all respects :colbert:

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Axe-man posted:

This is irony and/or hatred for an overpowered mech, right?

It does look rather symmetric though, but maybe that's not what Battletech players are looking for.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Axe-man posted:

cwDeici posted:

This is irony and/or hatred for an overpowered mech, right?

Lessee, iconic mech of Clan Wolf, has "wolf" in the name... yeah, that's a "gently caress it" in my (horribly prejudiced) book.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

The biggest problem with the Timber Wolf, (outside of being a clan mech) is that it is no Summoner. Aidan Pryde found this out the hard way.

VVV They certainly aren't built for a protracted battle (like most Falcon mechs of the time), but they are very mobile and capable of skirmishing at range before finishing off the enemy with the critseekers.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 9, 2011

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

The only good Summoners are C, and maybe D. Just putting that out there. An LBX with only ONE ton of ammo? Or a gauss with just one ton of ammo, but two of srm-6s? Also it is ugly as hell.

edit: I retract my earlier statement. The C doesn't have nearly enough ammo either.

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 9, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

KnoxZone posted:

The biggest problem with the Timber Wolf, (outside of being a clan mech) is that it is no Summoner. Aidan Pryde found this out the hard way.

VVV They certainly aren't built for a protracted battle (like most Falcon mechs of the time), but they are very mobile and capable of skirmishing at range before finishing off the enemy with the critseekers.
summoners don't get small lasers, though.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

The Viper is a skirmisher. The Ice Ferret is a skirmisher. The Grendel is a skirmisher.

The Summoner is a boat for cowardly wusses who need a 70 tonner's armor to pretend they're contributing to a battle.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

summoners don't get small lasers, though.

This wouldn't be an issue had Precentor Derpface not ordered his badly damaged Level IV to close to 30 meters of a Timber Wolf. Sit at 200 meters and pick it off with long range weapons like the 'medium laser'!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

LeschNyhan posted:

The Viper is a skirmisher. The Ice Ferret is a skirmisher. The Grendel is a skirmisher.

The LP Gargoyle is a Skirmisher!

... but no, seriously, all variants are 5/8[10]/5

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

What's with the extra bracketed value for run speed?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

What's with the extra bracketed value for run speed?

Myomer Acceleration Signal Circuitry [MASC]

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

YESSSSSSS. Ok see? This is how you make a monster. This is what the Summoner wishes it could be.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
MASC is always hilarious to me, if you roll poorly once, you aren't going to be happy.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Axe-man posted:

MASC Battletech is always hilarious to me, if you roll poorly once, you aren't going to be happy are going to die in a hilarious fashion.

Made this more accurate.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Axe-man posted:

MASC is always hilarious to me, if you roll poorly once, you aren't going to be happy.

There're absolutely no drawbacks to using MASC every other turn.

VVVV I'll have to double check that. I could've sworn the first turn was nothing and it was every subsequent turn, but they might've changed that or I could be misremembering since very few of my games include MASC.

... Still hilarious when you've got a perfect 10-hex straight-line charge set up, though, since that's a good 80 damage right there (at the cost of 8-ish points of self-damage).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 10, 2011

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PoptartsNinja posted:

There're absolutely no drawbacks to using MASC every other turn.

3+ for boom, you will roll a two the first turn. :colbert: It happens a lot and you get a lot of 2s/12s.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LeschNyhan posted:

The only good Summoners are C, and maybe D. Just putting that out there. An LBX with only ONE ton of ammo? Or a gauss with just one ton of ammo, but two of srm-6s? Also it is ugly as hell.

edit: I retract my earlier statement. The C doesn't have nearly enough ammo either.
You don't understand how Infernos work, clearly.

Also if you don't field the G then you are evil and wrong and should feel bad :colbert:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

You don't understand how Infernos work, clearly.

Also if you don't field the G then you are evil and wrong and should feel bad :colbert:

I would remove a DHS and put in either an additional ton of SRM ammunition or armor instead.

Edit: On a different note, whose bright idea was it to place the Turkina B's TC in its right arm?

landcollector fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

KnoxZone posted:

The Summoner is one of those Mechs that I just look at and wonder where all the tonnage went.

• Locked thread