Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

MockingQuantum posted:

Also I don't know if I'm just unlucky but out of the five Leuchtterm notebooks I've had, four of them were really terrible for fountain pen ink. Tons of bleed/feathering/showthrough and it took a while to dry (though long drying times happen with Rhodia/Tomoe River too). Didn't seem to matter what kind of ink I was using either. Gel pens were fine though.

Inconsistency is the worst. Let's say there is a notebook brand that is good 50% of the time, for me that means the price of the books is doubled plus it is some kind of lottery. I'd rather pay highest possible price for a consistent book as it'll be cheaper in the long run from not having to throw out bad books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You know what day it is today? That's right it's the day THE MACHINE is activated new Delta day! Hooray!

In this case we have this lovely blue resin pen with an antiqued brass cap, made to commemorate a conference of the United Nations held in Naples in 1994.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

my JetPens shipment arrived last night :toot:

i had slight concerns about the TWSBI ECO feeling cheap/scratchy based on what i had read, but they were unfounded. it does have more feedback than my Metro, but I'm just generally even more engaged with the act of writing, and the lines are still reasonably compact! it's not gonna be my Hobonichi pen but it will do just fine in my Midori MD.

on that note, Tomoe River letter paper with Midori envelopes? classy. sexy. luscious, even.

i loaded the ECO with Iroshizuku shin-kai and it's a dreamy ink. it even looks great when smudged! i got 3 Color Set B mostly for the yama-budo but im gonna be just fine spacing them out over a period of months i think. gonna try and really fall in love with each ink

for now, ill go back to cross-stitch land, where shopping runs are $10 :)

(but i'll still be lurking because i wanna be informed when i eventually drop $200 on a pen lol)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Does Midori make those Japanese style side-opening envelopes? I would like some of those

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
How come whenever I pick up my Kaweco Perkeo, no matter how long it's been, it always writes perfectly immediately, but every other pen I own is so goddamn whiny about being ignored? Wah wah you haven't used me for a month I need to be washed out. Babies.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

catgirlgenius posted:

my JetPens shipment arrived last night :toot:

i had slight concerns about the TWSBI ECO feeling cheap/scratchy based on what i had read, but they were unfounded. it does have more feedback than my Metro, but I'm just generally even more engaged with the act of writing, and the lines are still reasonably compact! it's not gonna be my Hobonichi pen but it will do just fine in my Midori MD.

on that note, Tomoe River letter paper with Midori envelopes? classy. sexy. luscious, even.

i loaded the ECO with Iroshizuku shin-kai and it's a dreamy ink. it even looks great when smudged! i got 3 Color Set B mostly for the yama-budo but im gonna be just fine spacing them out over a period of months i think. gonna try and really fall in love with each ink

for now, ill go back to cross-stitch land, where shopping runs are $10 :)

(but i'll still be lurking because i wanna be informed when i eventually drop $200 on a pen lol)

Chalk up another win for the TWSBI eco!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

sb hermit posted:

Chalk up another win for the TWSBI eco!

It's real good. I love my 580 too but the nib in it is too big so I hardly ever use it. Now that TWSBI seems to have outgrown some of their QC issues I think they're most easily recommendable manufacturer if someone is asking you what to get that's one better than a Metro.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
The Eco's design is absolutely my fave. There's just this ineffable quality to the colored clear ones that I cannot resist.

But also I hope they don't crank out more clear colored ones because I cannot afford to become an avid Eco collector.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

one more point in favor of the ECO: when you drop it it's fine. when you drop a Metro it gains a minuscule dent in the cap that prevents it from sitting securely unless you apply concerning amounts of force, eventually resulting in tragedy suprisingly cool-looking ink scarification on the strap of your fancy Hokusai notebook.

it took some doing but i finally got my ECO handwriting to be almost as small as my Metro equivalent, also.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Anyone have experience with the TWSBI Diamond? Kind of in the market for a compact fountain pen, so could use any other recommendations.

Alternatively (and somewhat off topic but I couldn't find a better thread to ask and this one seems the most relevant): is there an alternative to the Fisher Space Pen that writes finer than their "fine" size? I'm not so in love with the idea of carrying a fountain pen around with me every day in my pockets, and the Space Pen Bullet is perfect for me aside from it being a little wide for my tastes.

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021
Hello Thread,

I was wondering if anyone can provide some recommendations on loose leaf paper?

My favorite notebook has been the Apica Premiums, but I want something I move around when organizing. I tried to find some loose leaf version of the same paper but no luck so far, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

GrunkleStalin posted:

Hello Thread,

I was wondering if anyone can provide some recommendations on loose leaf paper?

My favorite notebook has been the Apica Premiums, but I want something I move around when organizing. I tried to find some loose leaf version of the same paper but no luck so far, any recommendations would be appreciated.

I am not familiar with the Apica premium but for letter writing I use either Clairfontaine Triomph or Rhodia "Le R", both are good.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Yesterday, I bought myself a cheap and cheerful Platinum Preppy Fountain Pen with a medium nib. No idea as to quality, but it's a low enough price I won't be too sad if it's not great. It's been a few years since I've used a fountain pen.

Additionally - in case anyone wanted to post about journalling with their fountain pens, there's now a journalling thread.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

froglet posted:

Additionally - in case anyone wanted to post about journalling with their fountain pens, there's now a journalling thread.

gently caress yeah, I am all over that poo poo and will do an effort post soon.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

froglet posted:

No idea as to quality, but it's a low enough price I won't be too sad if it's not great.

Yeaaah about that.

The Preppy is way better than it has any right to be, especially properly cleaned and maintained. It is pretty fragile though.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Eye dropper that Preppy and you can just have almost an entire bottle of ink in your pen for some reason

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Eyedropper it with Noodler's and just dilute it with water every few years when it starts to run out. You'll make a bottle of ink that would've lasted a decade last for ten!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I realized I had both pens inked, so here's a comparison of the FA nib and the Soft Fine in a Falcon.

look at that sheen. :pcgaming:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

God i want a 823 so bad. I can't wait until i get a job and can buy pens again

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Today I purchased my first gold nibbed pen: a Sailor Pro Gear Slim Shikiori Vega Fountain Pen. It is smaller than most of my other pens and I'll go back to that shop when I am ready to drop 400 for a 1911.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Non-fountain pen dumbassery continues.

https://i.imgur.com/U6ao29r.mp4

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
A man walks to his mailbox. He opens it. There is a vellum envelope, neatly folded, sealed with a wax stamp. It is addressed to him, in a fine round hand, the burgundy ink shimmering in the daylight with finest flecks of gold. There is no return address, and no postmark. It has been hand delivered. He sniffs the air. Cedarwood. He sniffs the envelope. It is the envelope that smells of cedarwood. He closes the mailbox and walks back into his home, sitting at the dinner table, the envelope in hand. He gingerly unpeels the wax seal, and extracts from the envelope a folded sheet of cream parchment, smelling of cedarwood. He unfolds it. The sheet has words, written in the same looping hand, but in black ink, with finest gold flecks flickering in the cheap incandescent light like a fire from the middle ages. He reads it. He reads it again. The message is not long. He reads it a third time. He wonders who has sent him, dressed in the gilt finery of traditional correspondence long past, an invitation to lurk more. Curious, he thinks. He must show this to his wife. He wonders what she will say.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The Lamy blue cartridge I started out with finally ran out! :toot:

This Tsuki-yo is a real nice off-blue. I get why y'all are so into this hobby.

It's less dark irl.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 13, 2022

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Y'all know by now

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Every time I see a Delta I think of you, Grack

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Good. Next step, every time you see a Delta, buy it and mail it to me.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

grack posted:

Y'all know by now

That is a classy Delta, for sure.

Kaweco finally got me. This Iridescent Pearl plastic they got for the Sport is so much fun to look at.

(photo on a sewing project to get my phone to focus)

The EF nib has a bit of feedback, it being an EF. Not sure if I want it glassy or if I will appreciate it more like this.

I need to get one of those Sailor Studio inks for it, like 224 or something. Thoughts?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The iridescent pearl Sport is really interesting me but I find the general shape of the Sport to be so very weird. How is it to write with?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Mad Hamish posted:

The iridescent pearl Sport is really interesting me but I find the general shape of the Sport to be so very weird. How is it to write with?

Posted it feels fine. The octagonal shape doesn't really come in to play for me; it's close enough to a circle.

I will say if you have large hands it may be more challenging! I am only 5 feet tall.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Usually the plastic ones are a tad light for me - makes them feel a bit cheap. Not that that stopped me getting the iridescent one, haha. (The aluminum sport is the sweet spot for weight for me, the brass is too heavy)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

grack posted:

Y'all know by now
This is the first one that I see and think "that is really nice, I wonder how it writes".

effika posted:

That is a classy Delta, for sure.

Kaweco finally got me. This Iridescent Pearl plastic they got for the Sport is so much fun to look at.

I need to get one of those Sailor Studio inks for it, like 224 or something. Thoughts?

I think you should put in iroshizuku kiri-same or fuyu-syogun although those grey inks might be hardly readable with an EF, so tsuki-yo or shin-kai would be nice.
Never bought a sport, they seem too tiny to me but I do have a Kaweco Student in backorder for almost three months now, let's give the store a call.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

grack posted:

Y'all know by now

what is this, a gamma? epsilon?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Doctor Dogballs posted:

what is this, a gamma? epsilon?

Omicron

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Does anybody happen to have a Nemosine Re-entry nib they're not using? I have one in 1.1mm stub on my Vac700R and I love it, but I'd like a non-stub alternative, and they're not available anymore and evidently haven't been for some time.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Another day, another non-fountain-pen :pcgaming:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Something's fishy here...

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

Absolutely majestic.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

gschmidl posted:

Another day, another non-fountain-pen :pcgaming:

That's incredible and I need one, where did you get it?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Waci posted:

That's incredible and I need one, where did you get it?

The local art museum, I'm afraid.

e: it's probably one from here? https://www.modulor.de/en/fish-ballpoint-pen-l-145-mm-diverse-colours-fish-types.html

e2: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002191984351.html

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Thank you! Time to order weird poo poo off of AliExpress and see if I still remember it by the time it arrives.