Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

In epilogues/sequels:
  • Naruto
  • Ichigo

As part of the main story:
  • Goku
  • Taiyo/Mutsumi

I'm sure there are others, but I'm not thinking of them off the top of my head. Unless Woble calling Kurapica Dada counts?

Off the top of my head:
Goku
Naruto
Ichigo
Inuyasha
Kenshin
Ken from Tokyo Ghoul
Taiyo/Mutsumi
Obviously Sakamoto
Gash Bell's sequel doesn't have the protag as a parent but some of the side characters are.
Jonathan Joestar/Joseph Joestar/Jotaro Kujo/etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Silver2195 posted:

In epilogues/sequels:
  • Naruto
  • Ichigo

• Goku
  • Taiyo/Mutsumi

I'm sure there are others, but I'm not thinking of them off the top of my head. Unless Woble calling Kurapica Dada counts?
Half the jojos too.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 5, 2024

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

If we're talking epilogues, most of the Demon Slayer main cast are confirmed to have had kids.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

harry potter

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ATP_Power posted:

If we're talking epilogues, most of the Demon Slayer main cast are confirmed to have had kids.

I refuse to accept Zenitsu ever got laid.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

In epilogues/sequels:
  • Naruto
  • Ichigo

• Goku
  • Taiyo/Mutsumi

Add Seven Deadly Sins in the sequel category. Meliodas, Ban, Diana, and King all have children.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I missed U19 what was the big deal with it that made it so infamous?

It's not so much most of it's own shittiness as it is that it provided a convenient reference point for Jump's biggest flops. If, like U19, you don't make it to 19 chapters, you really flopped.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

From the rush of new series trying to find a new replavement for the big ones, it stood out as not being just mediocre and forgettable but actively bad.

Also the name helps :v:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I had a rough day today but the highlight of it was the latest chunk of Dark Gathering posted to the Jump app

There are no shortage of horror-flavored manga that are not strictly horror stories, from Jojo to Jujutsu, but Dark Gathering feels less like "an action adventure story that has horror elements" and more like "a horror story that has action and adventure elements"

There's a semi-dialog free sequence at the end of volume 6 that is downright Berserk-y, not in terms of the artwork (it's good but no one is Miura, except maybe Takehiko Inoue) but in terms of your brain coming to grips with the poo poo you're seeing and being like "drat."

read dark gathering

p.s. the anime is mid

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I am cackling at the end of this chapter of UU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

sakamoto days was brutal this week

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

Yes, this absolutely rules.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

panko posted:

I will never get tired of the absolute horror show that is osaragi.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

panko posted:

:stare: Osagiri...what the gently caress...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Arist posted:

Same, was just thinking ”drat, sure wish there was more Feng” during the last arc too

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

panko posted:

lol love her sawing a circle underneath the guy like she's looney tunes character.

Arist posted:

:same:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The mangaka of MamaYuyu should really do a horror series next as they're pretty good at making monsters and striking images. It just wasn't a good fit for a typical fight series. I'm enjoying Greens Greens Greens now that it has settled down into actually doing the story and is out of the set up with a reluctant protagonist.

Also for people talking about the poor UU translator I have to give it to Roboco's seeing as they had to do all those rap battles and were able to actually have them work in English.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Arist posted:

Same.
Feng owning Shen Long while asleep just makes it better.

That dragon definitely seemed like a Dragonball tribute to me.

Sakamoto: Osaragi doing the ring. :allears:

Between these 2 stellar chapters this was a great manga weekend.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Undead Unluck: I can't believe Arale collected the Dragon Balls!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
lol lotta good panels this week.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Undead Unluck: I can't believe Arale collected the Dragon Balls!

God she really does look like an evil Arale.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, Mamayuyu ended in the biggest wet fart I've seen in Jump. It just... had the main villain still be around for a final fight that the series ended on without even properly starting.

I've seen series end before the final fight. I've seen them skip over it. But I've never seen a series slap in a pointless final fight just to not finish it.

Also, I haven't said this before, but looking at dead series walking, Two on Ice is ridiculously talky. If Chainsaw Man is at one extreme for dialogue in Jump, this is over at the other end, just filling panel after panel with words, never letting the action speak for itself. Which is a pretty big drawback.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you ever commit to reading a bad series because you know it's gonna end soon anyway?

I thought I was doing that with nue's exorcist but it's just... not gonna get cancelled, is it?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

you ever commit to reading a bad series because you know it's gonna end soon anyway?

I thought I was doing that with nue's exorcist but it's just... not gonna get cancelled, is it?

Not soon, at least. It's selling about the same as Kill Blue, and that's looking stable. (Worse than Kagurabachi which is a surprising hit, but not bad.)

I've done it too, to be clear. Best feeling is when the series gets good and survives. But if it survives without improving, you have to know when to cut losses.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Generally a series has to be really bad for me to give up on it, so I wind up reading bunch of mediocre series. Nue has been teetering on that edge pretty much since it debuted. Like, it’s not terrible, but it’s a sad world where Nue gets to live but MMA gets the axe.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Super Smartphone also ended right before the final fight with the promise it would be resolved in a chapter released in the last volume. I don't think that content ever got translated though.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
A slightly better look at some of the new WSJ series:

https://x.com/WSJ_manga/status/1776989868729512162

https://x.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1777058250598346985

https://x.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1777062994825912333

https://x.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1777065916255072334

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Gotta be real, none of those images look promising.

chiasaur11 posted:

So, Mamayuyu ended in the biggest wet fart I've seen in Jump. It just... had the main villain still be around for a final fight that the series ended on without even properly starting.

I've seen series end before the final fight. I've seen them skip over it. But I've never seen a series slap in a pointless final fight just to not finish it.

Also, I haven't said this before, but looking at dead series walking, Two on Ice is ridiculously talky. If Chainsaw Man is at one extreme for dialogue in Jump, this is over at the other end, just filling panel after panel with words, never letting the action speak for itself. Which is a pretty big drawback.

Tbh I got the feeling that maybe the mangaka was expecting to get a couple of chapters more than they got, or even had this chapter finished before they announced the cancelation and had no time/will to do a rewrite.

As for Two on Ice, that chapter really read like they're expecting to do at least another arc, which is very presumptuous of them.

Centuria: first of all, :stare: and second of all, I am immediately intrigued. Definitely in the mood for some dark fantasy

Witch Watch: Kan being tortured by magic is when this series is at its best

Blue Box: :3:

Nue's Exorcist: this series will never improve, and it will outlive other, better manga. It'll get at least a hundred chapters

Shadow Eliminators: tbf, if I was gonna eat an axe kick from hell with no way to stop it, I'd probably comment on that too

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Centuria looks amazing, I hope it manages to not be cancelled.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Akane's Dragonball tribute cover. :unsmith:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I will hope at least one of the upcoming series is good and lasts as long as it needs to.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Plutonis posted:

Agreed, but I was halfway hoping it would be a Vinland Saga style drama about slaves and not a dark fantasy.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

This week’s Anemone wasn’t fantastic or anything, but not having the main protagonist show up at all helped a lot.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Yeah I started reading it. Immediately liked the opening pages but haven’t finished yet. It seems promising.

Julias posted:

A slightly better look at some of the new WSJ series:

https://x.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1777058250598346985

I’m not the only one who sees Luffy in the lead?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, that was my first thought as well. :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Jump Plus is slower to cancel series, at least. Jiangshi X lasted almost a year.

A lot depends on where things go from here, I think. Despite having a very long opener, we don't know what the normal flow of the story is going to be, which leaves a lot of room for something to catch on... or for things to kind of fall apart.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is Tokyo revengers over or is the mangaka doing double time?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kingtheninja posted:

Is Tokyo revengers over or is the mangaka doing double time?

Revengers ended last year yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Mumbling posted:

This week’s Anemone wasn’t fantastic or anything, but not having the main protagonist show up at all helped a lot.

Wolf Lady is the only most interesting character in the series so far