Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

Reliably getting away with securities fraud requires a high degree of discretion. Do you think he even knows what that word means?

He might be able to learn it if a teenaged girl told it to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
There are some government-run animal shelters out there, but a lot of them are going to be privately owned.

I'm BWM because I can't figure my taxes out. I tried the IRS calculator before and it said I would owe something like $900 at the end of the year, now it says -$150. This is why I just say gently caress it and put in a 0 for exemptions on the W4 and pray it works out at the end of the year. Meanwhile a friend of mine opts to have a fairly large amount withheld from every paycheck, so they often get several thousand dollars back at the end of the year. I can't understand why you would give the government a 0% loan for that long, but I guess it feels rewarding getting the huge return?

It'd be nice if the tax system was a little less complicated.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Zamujasa posted:

There are some government-run animal shelters out there, but a lot of them are going to be privately owned.

I'm BWM because I can't figure my taxes out. I tried the IRS calculator before and it said I would owe something like $900 at the end of the year, now it says -$150. This is why I just say gently caress it and put in a 0 for exemptions on the W4 and pray it works out at the end of the year. Meanwhile a friend of mine opts to have a fairly large amount withheld from every paycheck, so they often get several thousand dollars back at the end of the year. I can't understand why you would give the government a 0% loan for that long, but I guess it feels rewarding getting the huge return?

Giving the government a 0% loan isn't nearly as bad when the return on a savings account is 0.1%.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I do 0 because I never know which clubs/bars/bandleaders are going to send me a 1099.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Dik Hz posted:

Giving the government a 0% loan isn't nearly as bad when the return on a savings account is 0.1%.

That's true, but there are things other than a savings account it could go to, like paying down debt, or emergencies/other unexpected expenses.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

I love living in a company with a PAYE tax system. I literally never worry about paying tax, it's always worked out correctly. I don't quite understand why the US has the system it does.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Lady Gaza posted:

I don't quite understand why the US has the system it does.

Because companies like Intuit and H&R Block lobby the government to keep the tax code and filing process complicated.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I need a letter from the government authorizing my employer to make changes to withheld taxes. It took me three months to finally get it and then it turns out they put my previous employer on the form and my current employer HR wouldn't accept it.

So that's why I'm just getting a five digit BWM tax refund.

Also we are Canadian and going on a vacation in USD in February so I'm going to get railed by the exchange rate.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Use the irs w4 calculator

Are there any calculators that I can plan for 2016 with? Googling around and they are all only calculating for the rest of the current year.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

cowofwar posted:

I need a letter from the government authorizing my employer to make changes to withheld taxes. It took me three months to finally get it and then it turns out they put my previous employer on the form and my current employer HR wouldn't accept it.

So that's why I'm just getting a five digit BWM tax refund.

Also we are Canadian and going on a vacation in USD in February so I'm going to get railed by the exchange rate.

I just went to Montreal and the exchange rate loving owned, but a cab driver slipped me a fake $5 which was BWM

Jan 11, 2004

Xenoborg posted:

Are there any calculators that I can plan for 2016 with? Googling around and they are all only calculating for the rest of the current year.

Unless your particular state had a significant tax change for 2016 any 2015 calculator should be fine for preliminary estimation.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

cowofwar posted:

We are BWM because we are Canadian and going on a vacation in USD in February :(

If you are leaving the Great White North to somewhere that never goes below freezing then it's BWM but Good With Life.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

If someone hypothetically were to run a BFC equivalent to the The Gay Abortions Awards to commemorate the year in BWM, what would be some categories you'd like to see? So far I'm (hypothetically, of course) thinking:
-Biggest BFC trainwreck thread
-Funniest Redditor
-Worst mainstream media article
-Worst Social Media/Crowdfunding
-Worst BWM from elsewhere on SA
-Best Derail
-Worst With Money (overall grand prize)

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 19, 2015

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I`m living in the US right now getting paid in CAD so I`ve been getting effed in the a-zone with the long slide the past couple years. On the bright side, I did dollar cost average the whole way down and was able to save a decent amount when the exchange rate worked in my favor. I`m still holding out hope for crippling deflationary pressure but it looks like inflation might be more likely. Hopefully I`ll still be able to afford the premium brand cat food after moving back to Canada.

One of the benefits of living here is the :911: as gently caress things I overhear every once in a while though. Some guy replaced the standard 23 gal fuel tank in his lifted F150 with a 50 gallon tank because he was tired of having to fill up twice a week. Think of all that time saved! :thumbsup:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Worst advice given/best completely false information

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Was GTAT this year because I think that GTAT thread has to get some sort of award.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

My payroll company ADP sucks because they can't process my T1213 to make automatic payments to my RRSP account and reduce my withholdings.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

pig slut lisa posted:

If someone hypothetically were to run a BFC equivalent to the The Gay Abortions Awards to commemorate the year in BWM, what would be some categories you'd like to see? So far I'm (hypothetically, of course) thinking:
-Funniest Redditor
-Best Derail
-Best horse equity story.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
- best derail
- best humblebrag
- best story about a teenage girl messing up her life by attempting car insurance fraud because like, holy crap that really happened

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nail Rat posted:

And to put it simply, you're wrong. If there were only places with high standards, there wouldn't be a problem at all.

You are simply wrong. This is crazy talk. Your point is that if [effectively impossible thing] happened, then you would be right. Since [effectively impossible thing] will not happen, you are completely wrong.

Setting so high a standard that you deter most prospective adopters is not ideal. If almost nobody is willing to jump through the hoops due to all the bullshit, then there won't be any adoptions. In my view, government shelters likely hit a good balance, whereas some private shelters do not.

Subjunctive posted:

Where do you live that the government operates shelters? Here they're just non-profits as far as I know.

Er... The animal pound operates as a government animal shelter too, right? I am not too sure.

Cockmaster posted:

To be fair, I've heard numerous accounts of shelters being WAY more judgmental than could ever be justified by ""Do you know what the gently caress you're getting yourself into?" - turning people down over nitpicky nonsense, or demanding that animals be cared for according to their specific philosophy.

See? This is the kind of bullshit that deters people. It is a loving animal. Worst case scenario is that it dies. If you never adopt out any animals because of said bullshit, then all your animals die. Isn't that worse?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Zamujasa posted:

That's true, but there are things other than a savings account it could go to, like paying down debt, or emergencies/other unexpected expenses.

For some people, keeping their money away from them so they can't blow it for a little while is the best savings plan of all.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Haifisch posted:

-Best horse equity story.

-Best get rich quick scheme, aka "The Basil"

Jan 11, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

- best derail
- best humblebrag
- best story about a teenage girl messing up her life by attempting car insurance fraud because like, holy crap that really happened

-most sensible shoes
-fastest maxed out Roth IRA
-best wedding photographer value, $3000 and up category
-best "acquaintance bought a truck" story

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

John Smith posted:

See? This is the kind of bullshit that deters people. It is a loving animal. Worst case scenario is that it dies. If you never adopt out any animals because of said bullshit, then all your animals die. Isn't that worse?

This is straight up retarded. I asked that guy to provide any examples over PM and he didn't. You're latching on a guy vaguely saying he's heard things (he doesn't say what or from whom) and you think that counts as proof because you're looking for something to fit your stupid poo poo narrative about "judging" "private" shelters(they're all "private"). "I've heard evolution is a lie. See? The Bible is right!"

Why don't you give an example of a "judging" question you think you shouldn't have to answer. Just one. And the animals don't come from a tree. The whole reason there are so many animals is because of pet shops just breeding them to sell to people who will just abandon them who have attitudes like yours. "It's a loving animal, worst case scenario it dies."

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 19, 2015

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nail Rat posted:

This is straight up retarded. I asked that guy to provide any examples over PM and he didn't. You're latching on a guy vaguely saying he's heard things (he doesn't say what or from whom) and you think that counts as proof because you're looking for something to fit your stupid poo poo narrative about "judging" "private" shelters(they're all "private"). "I've heard evolution is a lie. See? The Bible is right!"

Why don't you give an example of a "judging" question you think you shouldn't have to answer. Just one. And the animals don't come from a tree. The whole reason there are so many animals is because of pet shops just breeding them to sell to people who will just abandon them who have attitudes like yours. "It's a loving animal, worst case scenario it dies."

No need for proof. By the consensus of all, including you, private shelters do set high standards. As for whether this high standard arises to the level of “judging”, I am not obliged to defend this position since I did not take such a position to begin with. I explicitly stated that this is an assumption and untested by me, and implicitly opened it to feedback by all. You are a moron who need to learn how to read. A conclusion that *most* private shelters are reasonable is entirely acceptable to me.

Is the county pound not a government shelter (I am not certain of this answer)? Example: If you have a baby, will you *possibly* consider giving up this animal due to that? [With an answer of no being unacceptable to the private shelter]

If I no longer wish to keep my animal, I intend to drop it off at the shelter instead of abandoning it. And yes, I consider this very acceptable if I picked it up from the shelter to begin with. I, as many/most people, do not subscribe to a strong view of animal rights/welfare as you apparently do.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

John Smith posted:

gently caress you.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pr0zac posted:

gently caress you.

Excuse me while I abandon another 15 animals.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This is not the adoption thread so shut the gently caress up about that already

This looks like an interesting topic:

pig slut lisa posted:

-Funniest Redditor
-Best Derail

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
-wedding, cheapest and most expensive

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Horsechat always has the best derails but adoptionchat was a contender for worst derail imo.

e. is horseadoption a thing? Not sure which camp it would fall into.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
- Most Automotive Insanity posts in a BFC thread

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Loan shark award - most crippling interest to debt debt ratio
Debt trap award - most crippling cash flow problem from having a large number of debts/credit cards

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Cloks posted:

- Most Automotive Insanity posts in a BFC thread

Too many candidates.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Guest2553 posted:

Horsechat always has the best derails but adoptionchat was a contender for worst derail imo.

e. is horseadoption a thing? Not sure which camp it would fall into.

When I was driving through Loudoun County VA, I learned that yes, horse adoption is a thing. Old, broken horses that are unrideable and not wanted by rich bored housewives I would guess.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

John Smith posted:

The worst case is that the animal is adopted out to a sociopath who's looking for a punching bag, or for an animal that can be used in dog fights. In that situation, the animal is tortured to death and dies.

The second worst case is that the animal is adopted out to somebody without the means or inclination to actually take care of it. In this case, the animal will almost assuredly contract a number of easily preventable but painful and ultimately painful diseases, eventually dying of either starvation or neglect.

The third worst case is that the animal is adopted out to somebody who has the means to take care of the animal, but isn't emotionally invested in training and building a bond with the animal. In this case, either the animal will end up being uncontrollable and unsocialized, which will probably result in it hurting a child and being destroyed (that's the technical term; we could also say killed) by the county or running away and getting hit by a car, eaten by a wild animal, or dying of disease.

If I'm not overlooking any other terrible outcomes, then I'd say the fourth worst case is that the animal is never adopted out, and it's staying in a shelter which will ultimately euthanize animals they no longer have space for. In this case, the animal is put down (the technical term; again, we can just say killed here) in a manner which is as comfortable as the vets can make it, without a lot of stressful factors for the animal, and with as little pain as possible.

My wife works in a veterinary clinic. If you'd like me to explain exactly how horrible some people can be to their animals, feel free to PM me and I'll ask her for some stories.

John Smith posted:

Is the county pound not a government shelter (I am not certain of this answer)? Example: If you have a baby, will you *possibly* consider giving up this animal due to that? [With an answer of no being unacceptable to the private shelter]

If I no longer wish to keep my animal, I intend to drop it off at the shelter instead of abandoning it. And yes, I consider this very acceptable if I picked it up from the shelter to begin with. I, as many/most people, do not subscribe to a strong view of animal rights/welfare as you apparently do.

When they ask if you would consider giving up the animal, what they're trying to figure out is how committed you are to taking care of an animal. Do you view it as a responsibility you need to put work into, or is it a temporary thing and you'll walk away when it gets difficult? Some people will adopt e.g. a cat, and then as soon as the wife is pregnant, it's time for the cat to go back to the shelter; it's somebody else's problem. This is stressful and unpleasant for the cat, who (as it turns out, are similar to people in this regard) don't like to move around from place to place very often and are markedly unhappy when they're shifted to a new environment filled with new people and noises they've never heard.

If you don't wish to keep your animal, then it's obviously better to drop it off at the shelter than on the side of the road. But frankly, if you're going to change your mind about wanting an animal somewhere down the line, it's probably better for the animal that you never adopt them in the first place; people who are ambivalent about keeping their animals are probably also ambivalent about taking care of them. What happens when your cat gets crystals and cavities at the same time, and you're all of a sudden faced with a thousand dollar vet bill? Do you say, "This is a member of my family and I'm obligated to keep them healthy" and fork over the cash? Or do you say, "Eh, cat's not worth a grand", decline treatment, and drop it off at the shelter? Now the shelter has a sick animal and they have to pony up the thousand dollars for medical care, which could go towards taking care of other healthy cats (or saving other sick cats that they have), or put down your cat, because you figured it wasn't worth it.

If your view of animal rights/welfare doesn't extend to "animal owners are obligated to provide the best care and environment for their animals that they are able to provide", then probably you shouldn't have an animal and shelters know that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
-Best pickup truck rationalization

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

-Best pickup truck rationalization

Bonus combo of buying a truck/car and no longer being able to buy lunch.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

gb2pi

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
- Award for Worst Party Ever: Asking invitees to pay $$$ to cover the cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK