Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I wanted a more random experience, so on this playthrough I added a few mods.

We're All Mad, Here! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1261683633 With time, pawns will snap and become psychopaths.
I'm not certain it's working really. So far only Joshua the poo poo Lord has snapped but I'm second guessing myself since he became a psychopath after the very first raid of the game. It was the most pathetic raid I've ever seen, a six years old boy with no weapons. I sent one guy to punch him, Joshua, while the two others quickly fixed a ruin to drop a sleeping spot for a prison. The next day I check the boy health before releasing him; he is missing one arm... I check Joshua's character sheet, he is a psychopath... I check the combat log: he punched the boy so hard he destroyed one of his arms. Did the mod work or was my pawn a psychopath from the very beginning I can't say. I've been hawking all my other pawns since then, but no change. This mod does make 90% of the pirates psychopaths for sure.

Sometimes Raids Go Wrong http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1231320184
I have this guy in my prison right now, he can't even get up...

Razzle Dazzle! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1222191290
Peoples from the friendly factions sends food, drugs and meds as subscription fee for the entertainment provided. It's good for social pawns. Sometimes your actors are killed by panthers and you must recruit a new troop and a new author, but maybe that's just me. New art description also, that's a good thing.

First work of the new author, a bit tasteless in my opinion. The guy who lost his two kids recently will surely love this.

[B18] Clutter ("Almost squirrel proof" January 18, 2018) https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17610.0
With this one I can change the haircuts and paint clothing; an essential mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

cugel posted:

Sometimes Raids Go Wrong http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1231320184
I have this guy in my prison right now, he can't even get up...

Sometimes Raids Go Wrong is great for everything except that one; Having a raid show up chased by wild animals or mechanoids, or watching them show up and get smashed to poo poo by meteors? Funny as gently caress. Finding out that they've all rapid aged up to over 100 years old after you captured them? Eeehhhhh...

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Pretty much, yeah, I was wondering how long could it go so:

They gave me 350 silvers for ransom. My new pawn gained two levels in medicine.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
This is pretty neat - a mod that adds more layers of conduit, so you can isolate circuitsfor essential / non-essential power.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

Sometimes Raids Go Wrong is great for everything except that one; Having a raid show up chased by wild animals or mechanoids, or watching them show up and get smashed to poo poo by meteors? Funny as gently caress. Finding out that they've all rapid aged up to over 100 years old after you captured them? Eeehhhhh...

You know you can just disable the rapid ageing by setting the minimum roll to 2 in the options right?

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

TorakFade posted:

Randy is really insistent on giving me a ton of huskies via events, I'm up to 7 puppies now. What should I do with those?

In my most recent game, I had a bit of a puppy mill going. I made sure to have even numbers of male and female dogs so they made as many puppies as possible and sold them off to traders. Kept the dogs that I needed for hauling or became bonded, but sold the rest.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Once I get enough dogs going I train the bitches fully, but the dogs just get obedience and rescue. Keep the bitches, sell the dogs (or whats left of them after front line service) to whoever wants 5/8ths of a dog.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Pharnakes posted:

You know you can just disable the rapid ageing by setting the minimum roll to 2 in the options right?

I hadn't considered it, but it's really my fault anyway, since I *should* be checking for drug addictions before taking idiots into the superfortress.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

TracerM17 posted:

In my most recent game, I had a bit of a puppy mill going. I made sure to have even numbers of male and female dogs so they made as many puppies as possible and sold them off to traders. Kept the dogs that I needed for hauling or became bonded, but sold the rest.

God, those huskies sure have the hots. Even with a few deaths I am at eleven now between adults and puppies, plus two pregnant females. the traders that passed by last month didn't want to buy them (or I didn't figure out how to sell them anyway) and I will have to start butchering some just to not get swarmed in cute furry doggos.

How best to raise shooting on my pawns? The game has given me only pawns with 2 shooting or less, and I am starting to make some serious weapons now so I would like to train them. Also what's a good early game armor? (Just researched medicine and the weapons tech to make heavy SMGs)

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well, I think with a little imagination you can solve both your problems here. Puppy shooting range!

God this game is a dystopian mess

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

Well, I think with a little imagination you can solve both your problems here. Puppy shooting range!

God this game is a dystopian mess

Or turn them into kibble. Literal puppy chow.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Why not do both?

Can anyone remember what the mod was called that let you configure what food pawns and animals can eat is called?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Smarter food selection.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
I believe you can set a pawn to attack animal resting spots indefinitely to raise shooting. Use a bad weapon so you don't use up your good stuff. It's not very effective.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah from what I understand, shooting isn't meant to change much. Unless the pawn is passionate about it you can shoot at the ground all day every day and get a few points a year tops. Compare that to construction where anyone can be a master once they fail at building enough walls or medicine when you euthanize enough chickens. Just give all your bad shots SMGs and hope the hail of badly-laimed bullets works until you recruit a good shot.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

There's a mod that adds a shooting dummy as a joy source that also builds up shooting skill.

It's great, especially when you forget that one of your dudes has an incendiary launcher equipped...

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Hunting works well enough for raising shooting skill and it's useful to boot. Obviously availability depends on your climate but it's good steady progress for your shooters. I have noticed a significant difference in the quality of my firing lines in games where I hunted a lot vs ones where I didn't.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
From personal experience pawns gain good experience in shooting or melee only while fighting for real. Hunting or joy training only gives a paltry amount of experience. Fighting raiders, mechanoids or manhunter animals give far more. So the best way to raise your pawns shooting skill is to give them good all around weapons with decent range and rate of fire, assault rifles and charge rifles should do the trick.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Pharnakes posted:

Getting the place floored asap is your first goal. stone tiles have +1 beauty but stone flags or wood floors are cheaper and quicker to lay and are 0 beauty, which is still a big upgrade on -1. One you ave floors down your colonists can clean them too, which will make a huge difference.
Note that natural floors give a bigger penalty than -1 beauty: they have negative cleanliness.

This is why end-game floors aren't just endless flowerbeds.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Anyone on here use Rimatomics? I'm considering switching over to it instead of just using Advanced Power Gen's permanent nuclear power plants to give myself a bit more to watch over, but I'm curious as to the ratio of delicious power to annoying tedium

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I have Rimatomics on my current save but seven years in, I still haven't done more than the starting research, that says something about the investment. In A17 I thought it was a well done mod who was worth a look. At the very least it shouldn't break anything and a trader with a stock of uranium is always useful.

Also a new mod for me, MiningCo. Spaceship, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1221668621:

Not worth the 2000 silvers for two strafing runs, still funny.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I've been curious about Rimatomics but the lack of a single screenshot on either the Steam or the official forums page puts me off. If it has a uranium trader though, I'll probably load it regardless, since I'm at the point that I'm upgrading my soldiers to advanced bionics and keep running out of the stuff.

Regarding other mods: Try the Toolmetrics mod, which adds clothing and weapon slot items which give your pawns bonuses to non-combat skills. The options are surprisingly varied, but some might find it too fidgety or unbalancing.

Change Dresser's outfit management system either flat out does not work with reusable drop pods, or I'm too stupid to figure it out. Either way I'm removing it from my save file if I can.

-

I had a squad of bionic soldiers I send on away missions, seemingly unstoppable; however, on their last sortie to destroy a distant pirate outpost, they were ambushed several times on the way home, and the negotiator was killed after getting caught alone and surrounded by a cluster of Medieval Times warband troops, one of whom was a Warlord. The Bionic Seven were a tight knit group, and her loss caused several tantrums, complicating the journey home.

Lumi had a "histrionic" (thanks, Psychology) break after finally getting home, and promptly tried wooing every male colonist she came across in the night. Knowing she wasn't herself, she was rejected again and again... until she came across fellow supersoldier Bouba. Who accepted. And who also accepted her immediate marriage proposal.

(not pictured: more wooing attempts)

I can't wait to see how spectacularly this falls apart once she comes to her senses.

Edit: that was quick

Edit 2: I just had her new lover arrest her with a stun stick on the grounds that it's probably less harmful overall to morale than her going full soap opera on the colony.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 29, 2018

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

cugel posted:

RimAtomics has giant railguns. They can bombard other maps, if you have spotters.

The two big grey things.

And the central to power them, the tesla coils, the shields from another mod, the vulcan cannons, etc...

Quoting myself to show those A17 screenshots. All the poo poo in the second screenshot are necessary to have a central, there is a hot water circuit, cold water circuit, cooling circuit and a special way to link the central computer to the core and more. The tesla coils can turn a living thing to a burning skeleton, the railguns can obliterate even raiders who attack immediately if your turret operator is quick enough to reach the control computer.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Looks cool, I'm always looking for more late-game tech but am wary of it messing with balance if it's too easy to get. Always found Vegetable Garden a bit easy to abuse like that.

Also, I'm really enjoying the big indoor spaces and natural-looking bases I see in this thread over my usual modular, square borefests.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
The shape designations mod is super clunky UI wise but once you're done fighting how you want your ellipse this way it creates some fun fortress structures. Right now I'm smoothing the boundaries on my east side to funnel enemies into a more natural appearing kill box, and I look great doing it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I'm not sure which mod added them, but Giant Crabs showed up in my base - 1 male, 2 females. They lay 20 eggs (roe) at a time. Well so by the time the eggs hated, they had gone through 2 egg cycles and so out pops 80 grabs. I slaughter a few and turns out they turn into bug meat... drat. Well the colony's new and I don't have the time to cull you all so outside the fence you go, fend for yourselves.

Another clutch hatches before I get my situation under control and start making simple meals out of the fertilized roe. A few are killed by a red fox (which later dies to crab wounds) and a dilophosaur (also dies to long term crab wounds... I think it had 4 or 5 crab wounds to the eyes by the time 1 crab managed to cut it enough it bled out), but that still means there are over a hundred crabs milling around outside my colony.

A siege shows up and over half of my colonists are non-violent so... I decide to use allowed zones to deploy the crabs. The armed colonists come in as backup (and yes, two are nudists).

Just as that's finishing up, another siege spawns and the pirates enter right next to the last battle:

They had more explosives and a molotov, so I lost a lot of crabs. On the bright side, I'm a tribal colony with a mortar now.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
Giant crab armies are hilarious and incredibly useful.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

I'm not sure which mod added them, but Giant Crabs showed up in my base - 1 male, 2 females. They lay 20 eggs (roe) at a time. Well so by the time the eggs hated, they had gone through 2 egg cycles and so out pops 80 grabs. I slaughter a few and turns out they turn into bug meat... drat. Well the colony's new and I don't have the time to cull you all so outside the fence you go, fend for yourselves.

Another clutch hatches before I get my situation under control and start making simple meals out of the fertilized roe. A few are killed by a red fox (which later dies to crab wounds) and a dilophosaur (also dies to long term crab wounds... I think it had 4 or 5 crab wounds to the eyes by the time 1 crab managed to cut it enough it bled out), but that still means there are over a hundred crabs milling around outside my colony.

A siege shows up and over half of my colonists are non-violent so... I decide to use allowed zones to deploy the crabs. The armed colonists come in as backup (and yes, two are nudists).

Just as that's finishing up, another siege spawns and the pirates enter right next to the last battle:

They had more explosives and a molotov, so I lost a lot of crabs. On the bright side, I'm a tribal colony with a mortar now.

Define "a lot" of crabs, and tell me if this actually puts a dent in your crab forces. :allears:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I think I had over a hundred crabs at the start of the first siege - you can see a few are named in the 180s.

When the second siege showed up, I had only a dozen or so that were downed.

But since the second siege had a jackass with a Molotov and one with basic grenades...

....only 7 crabs (give or take a few) survived the battle and massive wildfire. :( Many simply couldn’t outrun the fire when it got going due to missing legs and burns, but my colonists were busy securing guns and prisoners so the downed crabs were... left behind...

And four days later the next clutch of 75 hatched.

People thought chickens were prolific. You don’t know prolific until you’ve got crabs.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

HelloSailorSign posted:

People thought chickens were prolific. You don’t know prolific until you’ve got crabs.

Rimworld: you’ve got crabs

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
My husband's last colony met its end because he used Prepare Carefully to deploy with a few giant crabs, thinking he could feed his colonists gourmet crab legs.

The small handful of starting colonists could not butcher the hatching crabs fast enough to keep their population down, and he ended up with a massive stress break epidemic as the colonists waded around in a lake of filth and rotting grab corpses, alternately sexually harassing and fist-fighting one another, while a single sobbing man sat in the stockpile gorging on fertilized roe in a last-ditch attempt to deplete the eggs before they hatched again (he failed). The computer was actually whirring with the strain of tracking the Exponential Crabs that had taken control of the fledgling colony. I think the death knell was when a ship piece crashed to the ground, starting a wildfire that nobody would put out because they were all too busy crying and flirt-brawling, and everything burned down.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

He should have packed up his meagre belongings and moved to another map. Abandoning that map to is grey goo fate.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

My husband's last colony met its end because he used Prepare Carefully to deploy with a few giant crabs, thinking he could feed his colonists gourmet crab legs.

The small handful of starting colonists could not butcher the hatching crabs fast enough to keep their population down, and he ended up with a massive stress break epidemic as the colonists waded around in a lake of filth and rotting grab corpses, alternately sexually harassing and fist-fighting one another, while a single sobbing man sat in the stockpile gorging on fertilized roe in a last-ditch attempt to deplete the eggs before they hatched again (he failed). The computer was actually whirring with the strain of tracking the Exponential Crabs that had taken control of the fledgling colony. I think the death knell was when a ship piece crashed to the ground, starting a wildfire that nobody would put out because they were all too busy crying and flirt-brawling, and everything burned down.

This sounds incredible. Are crabs a mod, or something in a new update, or just something I haven't seen?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Crabs are part of the nature mod. Nature is pretty sweet, maybe?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Just added a whole bunch of mods to start a new game with.

Dinosaurs + Hybrid Mutations + Tiberium + Animal Bionics + Mounted Combat = :getin:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
No ridable giant crabs? 0/10

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Angry Diplomat posted:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Azhais posted:

No ridable giant crabs? 0/10

I think you can use mod settings to change that within Giddy Up.

Heck I see pawns riding giant snails, which usually means by the time they cross the map they fall off due to starvation.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I have started three maps and had all my colonists oneshotted by a Tiberium mutant animal within a few days on all three of them. That mod's a goner!

How did I miss this, this is wonderful. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Angry Diplomat posted:

Finally a worthy successor to 2cat!