Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Daynab posted:

There is a pair of gloves (don't remember the name) that says it occasionally procs a critical attack, that might be it?

Those gloves have nothing to do with actual crits. Each time you hit someone there is a 5% chance the attack will do more damage (it's something like a 50% boost I think?).

As for Kraken, if you faced away for even a split second that would be what caused it. Could also have just been a lag spike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

Those gloves have nothing to do with actual crits. Each time you hit someone there is a 5% chance the attack will do more damage (it's something like a 50% boost I think?).

As for Kraken, if you faced away for even a split second that would be what caused it. Could also have just been a lag spike.

Just an FYI that the crits from those gloves work with spells. And if you hit someone with their shield raised, and the spell crits, their block will be guard broken. Tested thoroughly with the greatshield/shield mobs in Drangleic Castle, by the chancellor. Also tested with the greatshield/shield mobs in Undead Crypt. It also appears that it temporarily staggers targets when it crits, even if their shield is down. So it has both a guard break and (enhanced?) poise break effect. I'm looking for someone else to also do thorough testing to confirm/deny my results.

Edit: have yet to test the crit glove with bows, but I predict they'll have a similar effects as mentioned above.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 18, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
So I got enough stats to powerstance Blacksteel Katanas. I have to say it's... kind of disappointing. The powerstance moves are weird and slow, like a reverse scissor move. Anyone else tried this one?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I want to try a run with a character that focuses on dex and poison. What are some good items to prioritize in the early game? I guess the dagger from Mytha's soul is the earliest weapon with innate poison; is it any good? Also what bosses are immune to poison?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
^^^
I can't think of any boss that's poisonable. Dragonrider perhaps because they're big chumps anyway. Certainly no boss you'd want to poison.

Apparently I am wrong

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So I got enough stats to powerstance Blacksteel Katanas. I have to say it's... kind of disappointing. The powerstance moves are weird and slow, like a reverse scissor move. Anyone else tried this one?

I've been using them most of the time on my current character.

The L2 really isn't great but the L1 does decent damage and is fast. The only problem is stamina I've found.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 18, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hahah I've had that happen a few times. Sometimes I feel like the enemies you kill that ragdoll aren't dead, they're just loving with your head.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
If I die while fighting the Darklurker, how do I get back to it? I've re-ran the three abyss zones and the end of them is fogged over and I can't go through it. Do I have to kill all the dark blue phantoms to remove the fog?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Wildtortilla posted:

If I die while fighting the Darklurker, how do I get back to it? I've re-ran the three abyss zones and the end of them is fogged over and I can't go through it. Do I have to kill all the dark blue phantoms to remove the fog?

You do, yeah. It's pretty annoying.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

^^^
I can't think of any boss that's poisonable. Dragonrider perhaps because they're big chumps anyway. Certainly no boss you'd want to poison.

Apparently I am wrong

I've been using them most of the time on my current character.

The L2 really isn't great but the L1 does decent damage and is fast. The only problem is stamina I've found.

Smelter is, I think.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Screw that I'm just going to kill Grandahl for his chime.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Then you won't get the Xanthous set.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

It's not that bad, you can get to Darklurker from any of the portals. I find the Shaded Woods one easiest but it's quicker to get to the one in Drangleic. Black Gulch sucks.

You also won't get Climax if you kill him.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Climax is only useful long-term if you're cheating in souls, though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genocyber posted:

That's what was so weird. We were facing down on a narrow cliff, so maneuvering behind one another wasn't really an option. Everything was normal, then he hits me with his mace and it magically turns into a backstab. It didn't even feel like a lag stab. I didn't move from my initial position, just flipped around 180 degrees. It didn't matter in the end, it was just really confusing.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Is there any practical use for climax over just using grs?

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

That's what was so weird. We were facing down on a narrow cliff, so maneuvering behind one another wasn't really an option. Everything was normal, then he hits me with his mace and it magically turns into a backstab. It didn't even feel like a lag stab. I didn't move from my initial position, just flipped around 180 degrees. It didn't matter in the end, it was just really confusing.

Is there any practical use for climax over just using grs?

1-hit pvp kills. 3000-4000 damage. You also don't need to cheat to take advantage of it because the damage scaling caps at 5000. Simply farm up soul items (especially "brave" grade ones, that give 5000), and you can treat it as ammo reloading.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's not the point, guys. You only get it from finishing the covenant and you can't do that if you kill the covenant leader and that's important to know.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Not even remotely true. Not hard to get a bunch of 5k soul tokens, and Climax is very useful for taking out gankers.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Bobnumerotres posted:

Sorry but you're wrong. Damage scaling caps out at 5000, and you can basically just pop a soul item (brave grade ones restore 5000 souls) after using one.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fister Roboto posted:

I want to try a run with a character that focuses on dex and poison. What are some good items to prioritize in the early game? I guess the dagger from Mytha's soul is the earliest weapon with innate poison; is it any good? Also what bosses are immune to poison?

Mytha's blade also has innate Toxic, which is more dangerous than poison.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ComaPrison posted:

Sorry but you're wrong. Damage scaling caps out at 5000, and you can basically just pop a soul item (brave grade ones restore 5000 souls) after using one.

Ah I didn't know this, I thought it capped at way higher soul amounts.

Still, only a good bit stronger than GRS and can only be used once a fight. Unless your opponent is dumb as hell and lets you pop souls. I thought climax would be a huge AoE dark explosion around the caster, but it's just GREAT-great resonant soul. Pretty lame.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

This joke is so supreme.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Ah I didn't know this, I thought it capped at way higher soul amounts.

Still, only a good bit stronger than GRS and can only be used once a fight. Unless your opponent is dumb as hell and lets you pop souls. I thought climax would be a huge AoE dark explosion around the caster, but it's just GREAT-great resonant soul. Pretty lame.

It's not "only a good bit" stronger. GRS with Dark Caitha's Chime +5 and 30 Int/Fth will do ~1000 damage. Climax will do over 4k. You can oneshot anyone who's not blocking (and anyone who is if they're not using a very high dark resist shield). It's also not hard to pop soul tokens even with gankers since you can just retreat further into the level.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My brother and I want to do some co-oping in Belfry Sol. Can he summon me if I put my sign down in the room with the dwarf before the belfry itself or would we both have to go in?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

My brother and I want to do some co-oping in Belfry Sol. Can he summon me if I put my sign down in the room with the dwarf before the belfry itself or would we both have to go in?

The area before Sol from the bonfire to the door is a no pvp zone so I doubt it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Colapops posted:

This joke is so supreme.

Thank you for quoting this or I might've missed it. That is fantastic.

quote:

It's not "only a good bit" stronger. GRS with Dark Caitha's Chime +5 and 30 Int/Fth will do ~1000 damage. Climax will do over 4k. You can oneshot anyone who's not blocking (and anyone who is if they're not using a very high dark resist shield). It's also not hard to pop soul tokens even with gankers since you can just retreat further into the level.

GRS with all the dark bonuses already deals enough damage to one-shot most players, and can be cast multiple times in succession. Anyone remotely competent will dodge through them, so climax can be a giant waste while missing some GRS casts is no big deal.

I don't know, I'd be more forgiving if this hex you killed an optional boss for and sounds really strong actually did something unique instead of just being a super GRS anyone can dodge.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

RBA Starblade posted:

If it's like Luna, you've both gotta go in and it's terrible. You can roll in, drop the sign and roll back out, but I can't tell you how many times in Luna I would get bellbro'd while drawing my summon sign.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Fun little speed bump in trying to rank up Blue Sentinels, apparently people know where you spawn in certain zones when you pop a cracked blue eye orb, and of course, set up ambushes with their phantom buddies to murder you the instant you become hittable. It wouldn't be that bad, but 3 orbs in a row dumped me in the middle of the same ambush.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

GRS with all the dark bonuses already deals enough damage to one-shot most players, and can be cast multiple times in succession. Anyone remotely competent will dodge through them, so climax can be a giant waste while missing some GRS casts is no big deal.

No it won't. I've used Hexes extensively and I've almost never come across someone who could be oneshot by GRS. Twoshot, sure, but never oneshot.

quote:

I don't know, I'd be more forgiving if this hex you killed an optional boss for and sounds really strong actually did something unique instead of just being a super GRS anyone can dodge.

Gankers tend to be really lovely, making Climax perfect for dealing with them.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Genocyber posted:

No it won't. I've used Hexes extensively and I've almost never come across someone who could be oneshot by GRS. Twoshot, sure, but never oneshot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R68zxKDxPJE

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

Gankers tend to be really lovely, making Climax perfect for dealing with them.

Same here. GRS is always 2-shot. Even 3-shot when the guy was wearing tons of dark resist armor + dark resist +2 ring + ring of dispelling. And I've never seen a landed climax fail to 1-shot. The issue of a missed climax forcing you to eat a soul item mid-battle is bypassed by saving your climax for using only after a guardbreak, parry, or knockdown (scraps of life or darkstorm, though scraps seems vastly superior)

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 18, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That's Iron Keep (so likely fairly low level) and the guy has butterfly armor. You're not likely to ever invade someone like once you get to a decent soul memory or if they're just wearing decent armor.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I just found a fake "Illusion ahead" message with 1500+ votes.

This is reaching 9gag levels of "hurr trolled hard" humor. :shrug:

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

I've seen that video. The one thing his targets all likely had in common is that they failed to push their vigor to the softcap of 50. Even 40 would probably be adequate to ensure that GRS requires 2 rather than 1 hit.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

cerebral posted:

Fun little speed bump in trying to rank up Blue Sentinels, apparently people know where you spawn in certain zones when you pop a cracked blue eye orb, and of course, set up ambushes with their phantom buddies to murder you the instant you become hittable. It wouldn't be that bad, but 3 orbs in a row dumped me in the middle of the same ambush.

Don't ever crush a blue orb in Heide's Tower of Flame.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I just found a fake "Illusion ahead" message with 1500+ votes.

This is reaching 9gag levels of "hurr trolled hard" humor. :shrug:

I have no idea what causes certain messages to be rated highly. For some it seems completely random. I saw one that simply said "message" in a bonfire room that had 1000+ votes.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I left a message just after Old Dragonslayer saying "Visions of chest...but liar" thinking it was really funny, but only having 6 votes on it says otherwise. :smith:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The more votes something has the more likely someone is to vote for it.

It's a vicious cycle.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Internet Kraken posted:

I have no idea what causes certain messages to be rated highly. For some it seems completely random. I saw one that simply said "message" in a bonfire room that had 1000+ votes.

That's to DS2 what the Parish bridge scrawling "Skeleton?" was to DS1.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I hate the stupid stab you get when coming out of a roll with a dagger. It gets no tracking or horizontal and takes its time to recover so trying to roll behind and attacking too fast is occasionally a death sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The more votes something has the more likely someone is to vote for it.

It's a vicious cycle.

And occasionally they just get removed. I had several messages with 250+ votes vanish for no reason. :mad: