Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Its what I've always done, but I thought I heard you could solve this with splitters, unless I misunderstood the conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

Is there a proper/better way to do this?

Like, I want to merge a coal belt with an iron/copper belt, is there a better way to make the output put all iron on one side and all coal on the other when both sides of the incoming belts are being used?

You can make it more compact than that, but no that's how you do it. There's a whole set of belt shapes that do various things to where resources are positioned on belts, and a big part of assembly efficiency is being able to create belts which feed just the stuff you need to where you need it.

E: You can use splitters to filter stuff but the problem is that a single splitter will actually lock the belt if it can't offload its filtered product, you need to use two splitters next to each other, one to split from the main belt, the other to filter the second stream, to get a "soft" filter like that. It's generally much easier to just load your belts from the side when you want to shuffle your belt loads around.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 1, 2019

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yes but you'll basically only be pulling from one lane on each input. I think you'd need a lane balancer on each input to pull from both lanes equally, if it matters

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Oxyclean posted:

Like, I want to merge a coal belt with an iron/copper belt, is there a better way to make the output put all iron on one side and all coal on the other when both sides of the incoming belts are being used?

Try putting a second splitter on the other side and run your ore and coal lines into each one seperately.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Oxyclean posted:

This uses all 4 lanes:

uPen fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 1, 2019

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not going to say its the standard, but this is pretty much the standard. You don't have to use both output belts, but it turns one yellow belt of coal and one yellow belt of ore into two belts that are perfectly half and half.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Thing I learned: Red belts are too fast for burner inserters. They try and grab the fuel to put in boilers and fail, wasting their own energy. Let this happen long enough and it will starve them till they stop and then terrible things.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Sillybones posted:

Thing I learned: Red belts are too fast for burner inserters. They try and grab the fuel to put in boilers and fail, wasting their own energy. Let this happen long enough and it will starve them till they stop and then terrible things.

eventually the coal will back up though, and even at zero energy, they move sloooooow to grab coal to fuel themselves

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sillybones posted:

Yup. It's fine when the belts are saturated but the moment they stop being saturated you get those issues.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

If you got enough coal and boilers that you need to feed it with a red belt, maybe spring for the yellow inserters and if you have an outage you can just disconnect the power to the main base for a second and manually feed like one boiler to wake them all up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You could also do something fancy like running a red belt that splits off into short (like 1-tile) yellow belts at the point where it actually feeds the boilers, but frankly it's a waste of time and space and by the time coal running out is a serious concern you'll have solar or nuclear set up anyways.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Dietrich posted:

If you got enough coal and boilers that you need to feed it with a red belt, maybe spring for the yellow inserters and if you have an outage you can just disconnect the power to the main base for a second and manually feed like one boiler to wake them all up.

Or make your last belt segment a yellow belt with a single backup burner inserter for those brownout death spiral situations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Or just make a small solar array with some accumulators that switch on if the power goes out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah just have some burner inserters at the end of the line for bootstrapping brownouts and the rest can be normal inserters for the efficiency if nothing else.

Or build an elaborate shunting circuit, so the bootstrap unit is always powering itself, those are cool too.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Yellow belt and 2 burner inserters per boiler for the first generator build. Any later ones do how you like and they'll pick up once the first primitive one gets going again. Pop an alert sound thing on a belt tile just before the first generator block, if no coal is on the belt, start screaming.

You only need the fancy solutions on modded setups where the pumps need electricity or the water gets filtered etc.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Oldstench posted:

Or just make a small solar array with some accumulators that switch on if the power goes out.

Is power distribution done by proximity to the power source or is distributed equally and instantly over the entire grid? If I had accumulators on the grid but connected close to the boilers, would they power the boiler inserters first or would the rest of the factory get an equal share and potentially deplete the accumulator before it has a chance to run the boiler inserters? Would you use circuits to keep the accumulator charged and in reserve until the grid failed?

Actually, this sounds like a fun experiment to try later.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

Is power distribution done by proximity to the power source or is distributed equally and instantly over the entire grid?

i think the latter, because it's the best explanation for what happens to a base that browns out but doesn't black out

but it'd be interesting to hear the results of your experiment

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Canuckistan posted:

Is power distribution done by proximity to the power source or is distributed equally and instantly over the entire grid? If I had accumulators on the grid but connected close to the boilers, would they power the boiler inserters first or would the rest of the factory get an equal share and potentially deplete the accumulator before it has a chance to run the boiler inserters? Would you use circuits to keep the accumulator charged and in reserve until the grid failed?

The grid is instant and even

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You know, I never actually found out - how long is the day/night cycle in the game? It should be easy to calculate how much energy storage I need for solar but nowhere lists it.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Tenebrais posted:

You know, I never actually found out - how long is the day/night cycle in the game? It should be easy to calculate how much energy storage I need for solar but nowhere lists it.

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5594 for some serious sperging about it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

The precise numbers are kind of weird since it's based on ticks rather than familiar units of time, but basically, a little over 200 seconds of day, 80 seconds each of dusk and dawn, and 40 seconds of actual night.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Hell yeah! £150 on a new graphics card just to play one computer game in a slightly higher resolution *cracks knuckles and cancels all plans for the weekend*

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Fr: solar panels should supply a cosine based amount of power

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Boilers burn coal so slowly that I've never seen the need for more than one burner inserter per boiler.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Is there a way to clear a toolbar slot other than middle click? I have a wonky mouse with a wonky wheel-button that will work like literally 1% of the time. I looked through the bindings in the options menu, and I think it's not there? Do I need to use autohotkey :v: ?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The burner inserters autoload fuel to themselves? This changes everything on my early builds.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Der Kyhe posted:

The burner inserters autoload fuel to themselves? This changes everything on my early builds.

Yeah, that's why they're recommended for power plant boiler feeders, because they can run even with a total power outage and conceivably bootstrap your way out.

Unfortunately they're slow, and can't pick up from red or blue belts unless they're saturated. So if you get an interruption in coal supply you can accidentally trigger a failure cascade that way instead.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Collateral Damage posted:

Boilers burn coal so slowly that I've never seen the need for more than one burner inserter per boiler.

When they're going flat out they need two, at least they did. I haven't checked in a while, I just use the design I know works.

FNEI and YARM updated - those were the last 2 big ones I was waiting on to update some modded games.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Dancer posted:

Is there a way to clear a toolbar slot other than middle click? I have a wonky mouse with a wonky wheel-button that will work like literally 1% of the time. I looked through the bindings in the options menu, and I think it's not there? Do I need to use autohotkey :v: ?

Scroll down in the controls settings about midway, under the inventory header, change the binding for Toggle Filter.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Oldstench posted:

Scroll down in the controls settings about midway, under the inventory header, change the binding for Toggle Filter.

... ok I see how that makes sense. Still kinda oblique to figure out on my own.
Thanks a lot tho :v:. It's a fairly big deal.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Canuckistan posted:

You would have to have two separate power networks and some kind of circuit network thing connecting them. Put all the boilers/accumulators in one network wired together, then have a single line heading out to the rest of the factory. The circuit network can use some kinda logic to shut that single line off if accumulator power percentage is too low.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You would have to have two separate power networks and some kind of circuit network thing connecting them. Put all the boilers/accumulators in one network wired together, then have a single line heading out to the rest of the factory. The circuit network can use some kinda logic to shut that single line off if accumulator power percentage is too low.

Use an SR latch to only power the boilers if the accumulators get below ~15% or whatever and then shut off once they get above ~80%. That way you always have emergency power available in case of a brown out. Set an alarm to warn you when this happens so you know to go check out the reason (it's always laser towers for me).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I would just have an alarm that goes off if there aren't 8 coal on the feed to the power at all times. Since they've changed the belts to give reliable results once in saturation, my personal preference would just be to sound an alarm if it loses saturation for more than 5 seconds or so.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Is there a keyboard shortcut you can use when an alarm goes off, that takes you to the source of the alarm?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm not used to this new attack alarm. Too many times I was merrily building stuff while biters chewed through half of my poo poo and I only noticed because they were on my ankles.

I might make a mod that uses EVE shield/armor/hull warnings.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

FnF posted:

Is there a keyboard shortcut you can use when an alarm goes off, that takes you to the source of the alarm?

Don't know about a keyboard shortcut, but you can click the alert icon.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Drone_Fragger posted:

Give us the nuclear fuel gotlag. I want my superior fuel processing system that’s also stockalike.

FnF posted:

What I liked about Nuclear Fuel was the more realistic nuclear cycle, while still being pretty simple and presented well. I think it adjusted other recipes too, like the nuclear bomb needing plutonium? That's a good change, and makes the player consider whether they want to prioritise U or Pu (instead of simply "more U"). I know Factorio's a game with a lot of abstraction going on, but Kovarex enrichment seemed to be a little too unrealistic for my own liking.

There're at least a couple of other mods that do this as well (Nuclear Fuel Cycle and SigmaOne's Mods: Nuclear) so I guess people have other options if you'd prefer to work on something else.

(it was still a good mod - thank you for it and your other contributions!)

Nuclear Fuel updated for 0.17 with a few minor changes - recipes have been multiplied to produce consistent (i.e. non-random) outputs, and adjusted technologies slightly to give vanilla nuclear rocket fuel a new home (and an alternative recipe using Pu instead of U-235).

As always, feedback and suggestions are most welcome

GotLag fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 2, 2019

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Is 0.17 actually out? Is the campaign too buggy to play?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

ikanreed posted:

Is 0.17 actually out? Is the campaign too buggy to play?

yes no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
In the strictest sense, there are a lot of bugs in the campaign. That's actually what yesterday's FFF was largely about. It's not software bugs