Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Bholder posted:

They are making a new client, not like that will stop people from bitching.

Weren't they allegedly doing this two (?) years ago? After they hired that reddit guy who made a popular third party launcher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

they just hired that dude to shut down the project lol

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Well, they did say they'd be slowing new development in favor of cleaning up their "technical debt", and they do seem to have slowed new development at least. I don't know what evidence we'll ever see of the latter, they may well have already cleaned up some.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Zero The Hero posted:

Well, they did say they'd be slowing new development in favor of cleaning up their "technical debt", and they do seem to have slowed new development at least. I don't know what evidence we'll ever see of the latter, they may well have already cleaned up some.

Technical debt suuuuucks, and it's not really something the end user usually sees or notices.
In a way, attacking the new client by going "gently caress this hot mess, let's start from scratch rather than updating and fixing it" is taking on tech debt, though. And as you can see, it takes forfucking ever.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Urban dictionary says neck yourself is from Australia.

The champ I want is still a male platypus. That means poison and no eggs. Very important.

I got an S+ on Fiddle on my smurf account which I must play like once every three months. Hail to the king baby.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Riot games has something on the lines of 1000+ employees. I'm not saying the art department needs to learn some lua or whatever but there's no way riots dev team has been swamped with work fixing something like 10 bugs a patch occasionally that it's taken this long for them to show progress on a launcher when one guy was able to make a launcher that was better in every way in the space of about 5 months

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

thats not how software development works

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Libertine posted:

Acknowledging the existence of tyler1 is just contributing to the wider problems of society at large, a mistake I have exacerbated just now.

If you aren't watching tyler1's HTC Vive stream right now you're missing probably the funniest thing that has ever been on twitch

Watching him play that one army multiplayer simulator and he keeps teamkillijg everyone accidentally because he never did the tutorial and then screams at his team

Top tier entertainment

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

im glad the roid rage moron has fans, it reflects well upon them

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Poulpe posted:

Technical debt suuuuucks, and it's not really something the end user usually sees or notices.
In a way, attacking the new client by going "gently caress this hot mess, let's start from scratch rather than updating and fixing it" is taking on tech debt, though. And as you can see, it takes forfucking ever.

Technical debt usually refers to things like poor architectural decisions made previously, often that valued development speed over maintainability. Usually, starting over from scratch is both the most effective, and the most lengthy method of eliminating technical debt.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
tyler1 is fun to watch; he's got a very stream-friendly "i'm a cocky rear end in a top hat, look at how smug I am crushing these guys" attitude and he's mechanically skilled at the game

he's also an abusive dweeb who flounders outside of solo queue because he cant/doesnt want to coordinate with allies, but you dont have to deal with any of that when watching a stream

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
whats tech debt.

lmao if you don't ONLY greenfield.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Methanar posted:

whats tech debt.

lmao if you don't ONLY greenfield.

You are right; however, it is hard to greenfield something 100 million people are concurrently using. Same reason people were running Windows XP at large companies until the loving wheels fell off it. I hate legacy tech excuses but Riot has a decent one even if it's lovely to still have to put up with it. I'm not holding my breath on new client, I don't know when they plan on releasing it, but they've added a lot to the base client in the last year especially so I'm more willing to give them benefit of the doubt.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i dont think actually making the new client is taking that long, i think they just waited too long to start tackling these issues

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Libertine posted:

but they've added a lot to the base client in the last year especially so I'm more willing to give them benefit of the doubt.

They've also used the current client as an excuse to not implement plenty of times, though to be fair I have no issues at all with the current client.

Looking forward to this weekend though, going to get plenty of IP on a smurf or two.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
current client: insane memory leaks/performance issues, but overall pretty good now

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
booya

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Libertine posted:

You are right; however, it is hard to greenfield something 100 million people are concurrently using. Same reason people were running Windows XP at large companies until the loving wheels fell off it. I hate legacy tech excuses but Riot has a decent one even if it's lovely to still have to put up with it. I'm not holding my breath on new client, I don't know when they plan on releasing it, but they've added a lot to the base client in the last year especially so I'm more willing to give them benefit of the doubt.

I'll check when I get home since I haven't fired it up in a while, but the tech alpha client is beautiful, but it is (or was) missing a lot of basic features still like ability to join chat rooms which means I pretty much never fire it up.

I only got in back in July and haven't run it since August so maybe they've updated it. In any case, the basic functionality of playing games is in and seems to work well, so I'm hoping the launch isn't too far off. Seems reasonable they'd be targeting pre-season or start of season next year to finally get it out.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

I've got the most :krad: network. Never going to have packet loss again.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

I've got the most :krad: network. Never going to have packet loss again.

Did you take this job just so you could steal enough switches to fix your internet?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
100%[=========================================================>] 10,737,418,240 121MB/s in 1m 56s

I'm lagging.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Mystery Prize posted:

When I hit Diamond 5, I was pretty sure this was just about as toxic as it was going to get, and boy was I wrong!

D3-2 is filled with the most hate filled rage I've seen in a long time, and it honestly blows my mind that people can say this kind of poo poo in chat nonchalantly. Miss ONE skill, ever, and you're a "worthless piece of trash that should never have bought this account, kill urself". Like holy poo poo, why do people do this? Raging at someone for five minutes straight in a game has never and will never result in them being like "oh I see my mistakes now, let me play better", it just tilts them more and makes them play worse :psyduck:

My personal favorite is the bronze-style blame game where someone makes a completely idiotic mistake and instead of owning up to it, the mistake HAS to be someone else's fault. The difference is, bronze players often don't know they made a mistake; diamond players can usually tell when they hosed up, so it's even more rage-inducing to have them go on a rant as to why it's someone else's fault that they were pushing bot with no wards and got 1v3'd.

its about the same everywhere, you're just getting lucky/unlucky

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ive heard from more than a few people that high plat is full of raging one tricks who think they deserve to be in diamond

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I deserve to be in diamond. The only thing holding me back is the devil, with whom I rage a daily battle over different kinds of ethics and temptations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

rabidsquid posted:

ive heard from more than a few people that high plat is full of raging one tricks who think they deserve to be in diamond

its also full of smurfs that 'dont care' and only have 11 champions so if you dont give them adc you have miss fortune top but its still not any worse than any other mmr, just horrible in a different way

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The only thing holding me back from Diamond again is I'm a support main who doesn't like playing solo lanes and it's really hard to carry through lower elo unless you play support like Meth (IE: you take all the farm and never buy a sightstone)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

plenty of support mains do it, though, or there wouldnt be any support mains in diamond

stump collector
May 28, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

The only thing holding me back from Diamond again is I'm a support main who doesn't like playing solo lanes and it's really hard to carry through lower elo unless you play support like Meth (IE: you take all the farm and never buy a sightstone)

i dont believe you

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Me: finally a day off from work. I'm going to grind league games and rise up my ranks.

The devil: not so fast. Instead of doing that lets go throw eggs at the farmer house

Me: sigh alright let's have this convo the devil

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

thats not how software development works

please enlighten me as to why one of Riot's (guesstimate) 250 software developmentally inclined employees could not be tasked to make a new launcher as part of his employment when one random dude on the internet did it for them in his free time. they dmca'd the guys work, hired him, and then three years later still had not showed even a sliver of progress on the new client. Instead they kept tacking on new features that ran incredibly slow for what they were supposed to do. The worst of this is the new store which takes somewhere on the lines of 5 seconds per page that you load, along with real money purchase options taking multiple minutes to actually happen. That should be a nightmare to someone who's game revolves around real money purchases through that UI. But it's been radio silence with the new Alpha Client being the first bit of chatter we've had in years. Literally every other MOBA Dev Studio has had no problems with creating a working front end of the game that is both efficient to click through and aesthetically pleasing. Hell, the league client takes up almost as RAM the game client itself takes.

In fact, it even takes up almost as much RAM as Dota 2 does while in a game. That was with Dota 2 running, with heroes and creeps spawned, not just sitting and looking at menus! And it's been this way for years!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Verviticus posted:

plenty of support mains do it, though, or there wouldnt be any support mains in diamond
If you watch most of those unranked to Challenger streams by support mains, most of them play other roles. It's pretty hard to carry playing traditional support until high plat/diamond because of how much the skill in your ADC fluctuates. The one time I got to high elo I did it playing nothing but Zac or Malphite AP mid, then I started to climb from support

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Luna Was Here posted:

please enlighten me as to why one of Riot's (guesstimate) 250 software developmentally inclined employees could not be tasked to make a new launcher as part of his employment when one random dude on the internet did it for them in his free time. they dmca'd the guys work, hired him, and then three years later still had not showed even a sliver of progress on the new client. Instead they kept tacking on new features that ran incredibly slow for what they were supposed to do. The worst of this is the new store which takes somewhere on the lines of 5 seconds per page that you load, along with real money purchase options taking multiple minutes to actually happen. That should be a nightmare to someone who's game revolves around real money purchases through that UI. But it's been radio silence with the new Alpha Client being the first bit of chatter we've had in years. Literally every other MOBA Dev Studio has had no problems with creating a working front end of the game that is both efficient to click through and aesthetically pleasing. Hell, the league client takes up almost as RAM the game client itself takes.

In fact, it even takes up almost as much RAM as Dota 2 does while in a game. That was with Dota 2 running, with heroes and creeps spawned, not just sitting and looking at menus! And it's been this way for years!

because the one guy making it didn't have to worry about compatibility

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Gonna be 2020, new client still won't be out, goons will still be defending Riot like they are a three man no budget shop facing some insurmountable challenge and not a large, enormously profitable company failing to do things other companies have done many times over in the same time span.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

because the one guy making it didn't have to worry about compatibility

compatibility with what?

e; are you ever going to give me an actual argument or are you just going to keep throwing out these one liners like they mean anything? If you're going to try to argue in Riot's favor then please at least present something of substance rather than these lovely one-off responses that don't even mean anything and aren't even true

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Work Friend Keven posted:

Me: finally a day off from work. I'm going to grind league games and rise up my ranks.

The devil: not so fast. Instead of doing that lets go throw eggs at the farmer house

Me: sigh alright let's have this convo the devil

pick zed and split push

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

compatibility with what?

e; are you ever going to give me an actual argument or are you just going to keep throwing out these one liners like they mean anything? If you're going to try to argue in Riot's favor then please at least present something of substance rather than these lovely one-off responses that don't even mean anything and aren't even true
Think he means since it wasn't made by Riot it didn't have to work for every single OS and hardware combination out there, like the kind of things they do for official clients.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

rabidsquid posted:

High plat is the biggest shithole I've ever seen in gaming in general.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

RealFoxy posted:

Think he means since it wasn't made by Riot it didn't have to work for every single OS and hardware combination out there, like the kind of things they do for official clients.

Wintermint ran better than the League of Legends client did in 2013 and computer hardware has only gotten better by leaps and bounds since then. I could see Mac being an issue for compatibility but barring some crazy bug where it crashed your system on like AMD processors (and if I remember correctly, didn't have those issues because the client's alpha was out for a day before Riot officially DMCA'd it) or something then the compatibility argument doesn't hold ground.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

It's pretty hard to carry playing traditional support until high plat/diamond because of how much the skill in your ADC fluctuates. The one time I got to high elo I did it playing nothing but Zac or Malphite AP mid, then I started to climb from support

I went from silver 2 to plat 5 (my first time ever reaching plat) in about 75 games this season by queuing solo and playing traditional supports with support items instead of damage

...then I started queuing with serv and I've stagnated in mid-plat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Super Librarian posted:

I went from silver 2 to plat 5 (my first time ever reaching plat) in about 75 games this season by queuing solo and playing traditional supports with support items instead of damage

...then I started queuing with serv and I've stagnated in mid-plat

:golfclap:

• Locked thread