Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

W.T. Fits posted:

Recently picked up the first game and have been having a blast with it. Haven't succeeded in escaping yet, but I have made it to the surface and confronted Hades three times out of like 30+ attempts.

I was wondering if anyone had some general advice on how to use the Bow more effectively. It's the weapon I feel like I struggle with the most due to how the default attack forces you to stand still and charge up to fire. It just feels like once you're past the first five chambers, the amount of enemies and projectiles flying around makes it too risky to stand still to fire, but just spamming the special or dash-shot feel like they're extremely inefficient for clearing mobs. Alternately, I'll end up stuck in a fight with a boss encountee that won't let me have the space I need to do anything (like that teleporting/backstabbing rear end in a top hat in Tartarus), and I just get my rear end kicked and lose a Death Defiance before finally putting them down through spamming my Cast.

I tried switching from the default bow to the Aspect of Chiron, and that felt a bit better since when I can get a successful shot off, I can follow up by using my Special to get a few homing shots in, but I'd really like some general purpose advice to help me wrap my head around the bow and it's fighting style so that I can have fun with it instead of struggling with it.
I only used chiron. Chiron scales unfairly well with upgrades (doubling its level 1 special damage at level 5) and I used it for one of my two 32 heat clears. Mel even makes a joke in H2 about hating bows so I dont think you're alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I gotta be a lot more careful about Chaos boons in this one. Like a third of the time I really gently caress myself doing something I knew was a bad idea but I just get so blinkered by the promise of permanent stat ups that directly feed my build.

I'd do it on occasion in Hades 1, but it seems to happen more often in this one. I dunno if it's Chaos boons are more punishing or I just don't have a good feel for risk/reward in this one yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly just never take a Chaos boon that goes against my playstyle unless the reward is loving crazy and the penalty isn't something that damages me when I use my basic skill. Losing some gold or not being able to use regular attacks when I'm going for a cast build? Sure.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some of the chaos boons are easy to ignore and some are just brutal. 50% slower sprint and dodge recovery time? Yeesh.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly just never take a Chaos boon that goes against my playstyle unless the reward is loving crazy and the penalty isn't something that damages me when I use my basic skill. Losing some gold or not being able to use regular attacks when I'm going for a cast build? Sure.

I short circuited my most recent run (which wasn't a super promising run anyway) by taking a "hurt yourself if you use a special, specials do 50% more damage after 4 encounters" at the very beginning of Act 4. I was very reliant on specials, but I had the Aphrodite boon that boosted attack at close range at Heroic level with several poms, so I figured I could power through.

Starting running into armored enemies in the 2nd encounter and realized I was totally hosed not being able to run away from or stagger those big sword guys. My blitz/chain lightning special had been falling off in damage scaling, but it's pretty essential to be able to stay the gently caress away from those dudes.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ugh, I managed to reach Chronos phase 2 for the first time. Build ended up being a Pan Sickle with Hera Special and Cast, Hammers that made Special bounce and follow enemies and Hades Cast so it was easy to se the conditions for Pan. But he basically ate 2/3 of my defiances pretty early and then I was doing okay at phase 2 but I lost another DD and then he did something that did 999 damage I couldn't parse.

Man, I know Melinoe's dash is not meant to be used like Zagreus', but I feel like there are way too many attacks that expect you to dash to dodge like with Zagreus. Also gently caress Chronos' spinning throw, gently caress it.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Chronos is utterly unsympathetic but the game would be weird if he wasn't the last boss after the story ends, so my theory is that gaea herself incarnates at the end of the 10th win, straight up eats him with a visual reference to the chronos devouring his son painting, and from then on chaos manifests a (very confused) copy of chronos for you to fight at the end of runs.

Alternate theory, you kill him dead and then all your runs go through the black stone after the end of the story to amuse chaos.

Third guess, you end up shutting down all or most of his power outside of tartarus (steal his domain and become the goddess of time yourself?) and then build a new and better palace for hades to live in; then you regularly go to tartarus to beat his rear end because that's his eternal hell punishment.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Recently picked up the first game and have been having a blast with it. Haven't succeeded in escaping yet, but I have made it to the surface and confronted Hades three times out of like 30+ attempts.

I was wondering if anyone had some general advice on how to use the Bow more effectively. It's the weapon I feel like I struggle with the most due to how the default attack forces you to stand still and charge up to fire. It just feels like once you're past the first five chambers, the amount of enemies and projectiles flying around makes it too risky to stand still to fire, but just spamming the special or dash-shot feel like they're extremely inefficient for clearing mobs. Alternately, I'll end up stuck in a fight with a boss encountee that won't let me have the space I need to do anything (like that teleporting/backstabbing rear end in a top hat in Tartarus), and I just get my rear end kicked and lose a Death Defiance before finally putting them down through spamming my Cast.

I tried switching from the default bow to the Aspect of Chiron, and that felt a bit better since when I can get a successful shot off, I can follow up by using my Special to get a few homing shots in, but I'd really like some general purpose advice to help me wrap my head around the bow and it's fighting style so that I can have fun with it instead of struggling with it.

chiron is def one of the stronger aspects on bow, but all of them are pretty good in some way. the default zag bow can get some really good damage with an artemis build, especially once you max out the aspect

it does depend on the aspect, but generally, you want to get good at charging and dashing when fully charged to stay mobile and still put out good damage. Bow has great ranged damage so make sure you keep your distance from foes. Part of it as well is getting used to the range on enemies' attacks. rooms might seem hectic when youre dashing around in melee range constantly, but there's a lot more leeway once youve backed up and put some space between you and the enemies

elysium will be a challenge since you have those shield bastards as well as the chariots, both of which make positioning much harder. only advice i can really offer is try to have a good build by then, prioritize getting piercing attacks to deal with the shield guys and maybe get some knockback to help with the chariots

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You side with chronos because humanity is better off without the greek gods' arguments causing chaos (as nemesis suggests). You keep beating him up to keep up the charade, but you make a deal to have Hades live better so you spend the post-game decorating his chamber again.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I had a loving killer run going and was on a boon choose screen. I put my controller down and went to the bathroom.

I came back to find my dog had chosen for me and chose a boon that makes your cast move with you.

This must be the worst boon in the game. I felt like I suddenly started playing a different, much harder game I didn't like nearly as much.

Do not take this boon. I guess I'm glad my dog ruined my run because I've taken it once now and never need to take it again.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

W.T. Fits posted:

The dash shot has its own quicker power shot, which I've found pretty useful for cramped quarters.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

JonathonSpectre posted:

I had a loving killer run going and was on a boon choose screen. I put my controller down and went to the bathroom.

I came back to find my dog had chosen for me and chose a boon that makes your cast move with you.

This must be the worst boon in the game. I felt like I suddenly started playing a different, much harder game I didn't like nearly as much.

Do not take this boon. I guess I'm glad my dog ruined my run because I've taken it once now and never need to take it again.

It's not that bad, but the problem it has is that it doesn't seem to move things like Gale with it when they're tied to the cast. In THEORY it should be a way to carry your Cast around with you while you murder the room close up, but in practice it only moves the root and final detonation portions.

I can't imagine this is intended interaction. If it is, that feels BAD. That said, one of the key uses of cast is rooting Chronos so he can't do 30-damage dashes across the arena constantly, which turning your Cast into a PBAoE ability doesn't support. IMO more useful than Vengeance boons, but still very niche.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
People say they don't like the skull, but it's a perfectly viable build. This is a skull build. It uses the incredible power of skull.

(I hate the skull)

Warmachine posted:

It's not that bad, but the problem it has is that it doesn't seem to move things like Gale with it when they're tied to the cast. In THEORY it should be a way to carry your Cast around with you while you murder the room close up, but in practice it only moves the root and final detonation portions.

I took this thing once because I thought it'd provide for Solar Ring following me around. I guess it's an enhancement to the card that makes you do more damage in your cast but any time you'd care about that it's a boss temporarily immobile so welp.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I enjoyed my 'cast follows me' boon during the one run I took it on the duel blades. I'd imagine it works great with Poseidon cast.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I actually think the skull is really good now. It kind of only has one build, aphrodite on special and whatever on attack, but its a good enough build that can handle anything.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

No Wave posted:

I actually think the skull is really good now. It kind of only has one build, aphrodite on special and whatever on attack, but its a good enough build that can handle anything.

Poseidon and Zeus work fine on the special too imo

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Poseidon and Zeus work fine on the special too imo
The omega special? It feels like the opposite of what you'd use those for.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

No Wave posted:

It's a big damage nuke on your Special with utility attacks on your Attack. As long as you're building for your Special omega, you'll do great at becoming the bullet. The hammer that makes the shockwaves come back is also really good. You could probably get a lot of mileage out of an Apollo special here since you'll be applying Daze a lot with that, and combined with the iframes when you're charging and some cast speed increases you should be able to bully just about everything.

I've only used it twice so far, but both times were pretty nuts.

edit: You don't want to use Poseidon with it unless you're doing a wall damage build which haven't felt as impactful (:dadjoke:) as they were in H1. You actually want something like Aphrodite Cast so that you can get everything grouped up in a big pile for you to omega special your way through for hideous amounts of damage.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 15, 2024

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Wohoo, finally killed Chronos! Turns out if Time Cannot Be Stopped, neither can Damage Over Time effects :v: like, for real, Hestia on Staff on every single slot with a sprinkle of some Zeus, Double attack and bouncing special hammers. Also realized now what killed me and I was dumb, it was the mechanic I guessed correctly first go.

Now, on terms of "what to do after beating the final boss", I had a few questions:

-Fear (AKA the new Heat) is mostly to get the mats to upgrade the alternate aspects, right?

-Is there anything really special that uses the Sand, or can I safely use it to unlock statistics?

-Should I buy the Ambrosia for the "check God Boons" incantation or can I waste the shitton of bones I got into snorting moon dust? :v:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

-Fear (AKA the new Heat) is mostly to get the mats to upgrade the alternate aspects, right?

-Is there anything really special that uses the Sand, or can I safely use it to unlock statistics?

-Should I buy the Ambrosia for the "check God Boons" incantation or can I waste the shitton of bones I got into snorting moon dust? :v:

Yes, upgrades to cards and and incantation, and you might as well though the end grind is still bones for buying stuff.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

No Wave posted:

You side with chronos because humanity is better off without the greek gods' arguments causing chaos (as nemesis suggests). You keep beating him up to keep up the charade, but you make a deal to have Hades live better so you spend the post-game decorating his chamber again.

Mel gives mayyybe quarter of a gently caress about living mortals though.

Wohoo, finally killed Chronos! Turns out if Time Cannot Be Stopped, neither can Damage Over Time effects :v: like, for real, Hestia on Staff on every single slot with a sprinkle of some Zeus, Double attack and bouncing special hammers. Also realized now what killed me and I was dumb, it was the mechanic I guessed correctly first go.

Now, on terms of "what to do after beating the final boss", I had a few questions:

Should I buy the Ambrosia for the "check God Boons" incantation or can I waste the shitton of bones I got into snorting moon dust? :v:

I like being able to check legendary/duo requirements. Makes it easier to finish off "get all boons" prophecies, too.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Normally if you told someone to "go to hell" it's a pretty aggressive curse. But in the context of Hades II, its an invitation to a rip-roaring gaming experience!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hades 1: Fighting to get out of hell
Hades 2: Fighting to get into hell
Hades 3: Fighting sideways through hell????

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
fuckin siren ear worm, arrrgh, it's like that banana phone skit from a billion years ago

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It’s loving me up that Scylla is voiced by Ayre from Armored Core
She does the singing too.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Augus posted:

It’s loving me up that Scylla is voiced by Ayre from Armored Core
She does the singing too.

She also voices Dora in Hades 2. In a game full of great voice acting, she stands out as exceptional in both roles

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
ok played 30 some odd runs now, beaten both final bosses some general thoughts

- a lot of the weapons feel wonky (torches) or utterly dependent on getting a good hammer to make them viable, you can always focus on cast builds but it sort of negates the whole weapon selection if that's the path
- bc of the reduced dashes, the beefy health pools, and some of the wider zones (which i do love) game just feels much much slower than Hades 1. I think it's a little too slow right now. That final stretch before the 4th boss down can be so drat slow bc of the sheer number of spawns you gotta grind, through in each room contrast to hades 1 where the temple is a ton of small quick rooms, similarly boss 3 is maybe the easiest in the game for me to beat but even with a good build it just takes a whilleeeeeeeee to kill em
- boss designs largely rule and they've got some fun characterization ( shout out to boss 2 who's drat song is perpetually stuck in my head)
- so far the camp folks are pretty dull compared to the first one, im not sure why there's minimal character on anyone who's not the shade. i get the whole war thing but give me a bit more sizzle somewhere. odysseus should be a little more fun, no one who tricks a demi god by calling himself "No One" is this boring
-moros voice actor straight up doesnt feel like a good match for the design
-the finished art is gorgeous, i could stare at the pretty moon lady all day and i especially love war grandma
-i like the concept behind the moon choices but there's still some bugs and wonkiness like the one that makes you invulnerable and gives you special powers straight up killed a good run bc it broke my maxed out casts and turned it back into a regular cast afterwards
-there are not enough boons in the first zone, ive pretty regularly made it to the first boss with only a single boon. some sort of weighting to make sure you at least get two boons plus whatever you can pay for would be real nice. in general the boon weighting is very weird in this, i've had 3-4 runs where only one boon room appeared up to the 2nd boss.
- boy they designed nemesis well for me to hate her, besides her constant whining shtick she vultures kills before robbing you and then will vulture good rooms too. the rooms thing you can move fast enough to resolve but the number of times she's stolen my kills (even when i have builds strong enough to beat the final boss) and then taken my gold is getting old
- so far digging the pacing up top, the ship stuff could use a few less spawn waves on individual ships but i largely dig the whole thing
- there are way way way too many resources now (fish dont do anything yet?) and making me unlock the book to track them is a hell of a choice along with sticking me with one tool for an entire run. i see they're doing something in the first patch here so fingers crossed

overall its a great game but its a bit overly serious (ya ya war and whatnot but this is an entertainment product first), the pacing/feel needs some work, and some boon weighting/balancing needs to occur

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 15, 2024

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dora's Pandora, right, that's totally going to be the twist?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
obv

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

did you know that Dusa is short for Medusa

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

That is the general assumption, yes.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Huh, I actually ran out of time fighting the final boss with the level 1 timer boon on. That never happened to me in Hades 1.

To be fair it was not a great build (Haephasteous mana regen is bad! You do not want to get hit!)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

- bc of the reduced dashes, the beefy health pools, and some of the wider zones (which i do love) game just feels much much slower than Hades 1. I think it's a little too slow right now. That final stretch before the 4th boss down can be so drat slow bc of the sheer number of spawns you gotta grind, through in each room contrast to hades 1 where the temple is a ton of small quick rooms, similarly boss 3 is maybe the easiest in the game for me to beat but even with a good build it just takes a whilleeeeeeeee to kill em
I like stage 4 in this game soooo much better than the stupid poison mechanics zone. Love the money bag bullet hell zones even when they wreck me. I do think some of the early rooms that spawn in armored brutes 1 by 1 could be made more interesting and faster.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I cannot wrap my head around the design of the axe special/omega special. It seems really weird to have a shield that protects you (from some attacks, not all) but then goes away automatically after a second or two and locks you into a really long attack animation. If the axe omega special worked like the other omegas where it only fires when you release the button it would make a lot more sense even though I still think it wouldn't be particularly good.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
:stare: what the gently caress is this second Chronos phase?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Wait what? That's in the game??? I have ambrosia and do not have this cauldron recipe, how do you unlock it?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
No doubt my only having gotten that far a couple of times is not helping, but so far I have to say that the lack of visual clarity during the final boss fight feels like it's making it a lot more difficult than it ought to be. [Redacted]'s arena in the original Hades was nice and easy to read, but in this one the stage is… kind of a mess?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

No Wave posted:

I like stage 4 in this game soooo much better than the stupid poison mechanics zone. Love the money bag bullet hell zones even when they wreck me. I do think some of the early rooms that spawn in armored brutes 1 by 1 could be made more interesting and faster.

im glad there's no poison bullshit but its too slow, the armored brutes are definitely the slowest part. they're so beefy and they don't even spawn in together. no more trickle spawns, do 2 waves and then on to the next room

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MMAgCh posted:

No doubt my only having gotten that far a couple of times is not helping, but so far I have to say that the lack of visual clarity during the final boss fight feels like it's making it a lot more difficult than it ought to be. [Redacted]'s arena in the original Hades was nice and easy to read, but in this one the stage is… kind of a mess?

No I agree, the Hades 1 final boss' red/black color scheme paired with the neon green/yellow of most of their attacks stood out really well against a snowy plain as the arena. Chronus meanwhile is gold and black, their attacks are gold and black, and both their arenas are gold and black. It can genuinely be hard to parse what the hell is even going on sometimes in a way I never felt was an issue in Hades 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The Siren music reminds me of something Ghost would make. Different vocal styles but the riffs and structure are reminiscent. This is a compliment!