Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I just receieved a 10% off coupon from newenough. If you'd like to have it, holler up as I won't be ordering any gear before it expires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

I have these. No complaints. If anyone has any specific questions on them, fire away.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Would anyone like to recommend me a cold-weather balaclava? I have this:

http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eyewear/head_wraps_helmet_liners_other_accessories/hjc/coolmax_balaclava.html

but it's really not that warm and I would prefer something that would go all the way down my neck and tuck into the jacket. NewEnough has an A* one that looks really nice, but it's not on sale until March (which is really stupid, by March/April I won't need one any more!).

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
What's everyone's take on heated gloves? I might pick up a pair and from the reviews I've read the FirstGear ones are the best.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

100 Years in Iraq posted:

I just receieved a 10% off coupon from newenough. If you'd like to have it, holler up as I won't be ordering any gear before it expires.

I have one too. If anyone needs it, let me know.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I would love to get one of the coupons, still buying bits and pieces of gear to get started.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I can forward someone my coupon, also.

Send me a message at:
turkosza [at] gmail [dot] com

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

dietcokefiend posted:

I would love to get one of the coupons, still buying bits and pieces of gear to get started.

Sent you a PM...enjoy.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Oakey posted:

Would anyone like to recommend me a cold-weather balaclava? I have this:

http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eyewear/head_wraps_helmet_liners_other_accessories/hjc/coolmax_balaclava.html

but it's really not that warm and I would prefer something that would go all the way down my neck and tuck into the jacket. NewEnough has an A* one that looks really nice, but it's not on sale until March (which is really stupid, by March/April I won't need one any more!).

I have the Bikers Comfort - Bike Pit. It sit really low on my shoulders and I've never felt any wind on my neck.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
scored myself a scorpion EXO-400 for $99 at the IMS (houston leg of the show) yesterday!

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

I'm looking for a bluetooth headset to use while on my bike with the following. Does it exist?

- Stereo headset preferably something with earbuds.
- connects to my ipod
- Voice answer/hang up function
- Switches back to ipod on hang up.
- Doesn't have a huge box hanging off the side of my helmet.

Does something like this exist and if not. Then why not?

dokuja
Jun 2, 2004
I've been contemplating getting a J&M headset. There's adapters for the headsets which allow you to use a regular 3.5mm stereo phone plug.

I'm not sure how large a box is too huge, but from the pics it looks decently smaller than a chatterbox.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
i also have two (2!) 10% off coupons for newenough. i need no gear so pm me or something if anyone wants one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I just got a second one. :iiam:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
For the average newbie rider, what benefit might one see from one of the strap on back protectors? Noticed the Icon armor vest thing and a few others. What sort of crash do these help with?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
do they do anything more than regular CE jacket back armor?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

do they do anything more than regular CE jacket back armor?

Depends on how good they are.

Basically, they're padding for your back. They won't protect you from a broken spine, but they can help you avoid spinal cord damage, and damage from say, hitting rocks with your back while you tumble down the road. I use a Helimot TLV back protector because it's one of the few that contains both a padded impact foam and an internal, rigid support structure, and I have the one that integrates into the padding in my one piece. I had a full one that I used for a long time and it's the only back protector I've ever really liked. I gave it to a friend who didn't have a back protector once the one for my one piece showed up.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Anybody have any reviews of the new Speed and Strength gear? Seems like pretty cool/basic designs in the right price range.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
After more than a week of riding helmetless (due to my procratination, nervousness over a potential $500 purchase, and TX's lax laws), I finally got a Shoei.

I dropped into a pawnshop to get a beater guitar, and they had a whole shelf of Shoeis, many of which (per the tag) had been up there for over a year. Unfortunately, neither of the X11's fit me perfectly, but there was a basic Shoei (just back vents, only the cheekpads removable) for $75, so I got that. Also the exact style I wanted, matte black, and the previous owner already painted some designs with reflective paint like I'd intended.

It doesn't have the front-vents like an X11, but it's still a Shoei full-face for far, far less than the $525 an X11 would cost at the local shop.

Dumb question: mine has a tinted lens and a big warning saying not to use it at night. Do folks swap lenses in and out by time of day (carry the other in saddlebag?), only ride at certain times of day, or just put in a clear lens and wear sunglasses underneath it during the day.

Mine's tinted, will it cost more than the used helmet did to buy a clear?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Replacement shields are $36 at NewEnough:
http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eyewear/replacement_shields/shoei/cx1v_standard_replacement_shields_for_motorcycle_helmets.html

I personally wear sunglasses under a clear shield, but it's because I need glasses to see and refuse to get contacts. As long as I have glasses underneath, I might as well use my sunglasses.

Most people will just swap out shields. They tint your entire range of vision, so you don't get light seeping in around the glasses (like if the sun is high in the sky). Plus, it's one less thing around your head in the even of a crash.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I've always ridden with a clear shield and sunglasses. I wear Smith Sliders. You can swap out lenses for different light conditions, and it's much easier to carry a set of sunglasses and 3 sets of replacement lenses in your pocket than it is to carry around another shield. It's also really quick to swap out lenses, no tools needed. Another nice thing is that if you scratch your lenses, replacement sets run on average $30 or so, much cheaper than buying a whole new pair of glasses. Plus I have a fuckin' pinhead (XS helmet, anyone?) and the Smith earpieces don't poke into the back of the helmet like Oakleys do.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
I just carry my second shield in my tankbag. The way it curves, it tends to fit nicely in the corner without taking much space.

Any helmet is better than none, but they say you shouldn't buy used, because it'll be "broken in" to someone besides yourself, and the EPS liner degrades over time.

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

blugu64 posted:

Joe Rocket Meteor Boots.

I can't seem to find anything better for the price (110-120 depending on where you look). Anyone have any experience with them or other Joe Rocket Boots? I can't seem to find too much out here or on advrider. Any other suggestions for a similar boot? I'd like it to be waterproof, somewhat conservative looking, and comfortable enough to be an everyday type boot, as when I go out on weekend trips on the bike I'd rather not bring another pair of shoes.

I wear Meteors, and I like them. They're subtle, and keep the water out. I don't think they're uncomfortable to walk around in, either. Some people think the ankle is a bit stiff, but it was never a problem for me - especially now that they're broken in. Try 'em on in a brick and mortar if you can, but I'll be wearing them at least through the winter and they suit my purposes well.

Any if you still have 10% newenough coupons? I'm about to make a small order and sure wouldn't mind a little discount :)

Oh, and I just recently got a pair of Cortech Scarab winter gloves, and I LOVE them. Two thumbs up if anyone is looking for a pair of warm, waterproof gloves that actually look nice and aren't bulky as hell. Here's a little sale http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/37/10299/ITEM/Cortech-Scarab-Winter-Gloves.aspx - no idea if it's the best deal. I bought mine locally.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

civilian.d posted:

Any if you still have 10% newenough coupons? I'm about to make a small order and sure wouldn't mind a little discount :)

I've got three. The first expires at the end of the day on Dec 1. E-mail me at turkosza [at] gmail [dot] com.

Ninja.Bob
Mar 31, 2005
When I first started riding I decided to get some winter gloves because I figured they would do me fine all year round, however now that it's coming into summer (Australia) I realise that it wasn't the best decision. So, what can you guys recommend in the way of a thin summer glove that still offers maximum protection. I am ideally looking for something that is leather with knuckle protection on the back of my hand and mesh on the palm side, I don't know if this exists but what are my options?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Ninja.Bob posted:

When I first started riding I decided to get some winter gloves because I figured they would do me fine all year round, however now that it's coming into summer (Australia) I realise that it wasn't the best decision. So, what can you guys recommend in the way of a thin summer glove that still offers maximum protection. I am ideally looking for something that is leather with knuckle protection on the back of my hand and mesh on the palm side, I don't know if this exists but what are my options?

I've got these. Everything except the mesh palm.

http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=1664&id=7022

OptimusMatrix fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 28, 2008

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I would make sure you have perforation in the tops of the fingers. I have summer gloves without it and my fingers sweat all the time.

A mesh palm won't really help much as you'll be gripping your handlebars and not getting any air. It would be nice for airing out your left hand while moving, but that's about it.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

I've always ridden with a clear shield and sunglasses. I wear Smith Sliders. You can swap out lenses for different light conditions, and it's much easier to carry a set of sunglasses and 3 sets of replacement lenses in your pocket than it is to carry around another shield. It's also really quick to swap out lenses, no tools needed. Another nice thing is that if you scratch your lenses, replacement sets run on average $30 or so, much cheaper than buying a whole new pair of glasses. Plus I have a fuckin' pinhead (XS helmet, anyone?) and the Smith earpieces don't poke into the back of the helmet like Oakleys do.

The problem with the glasses approach is that if you eat poo poo, you could be asking for a world of hurt including the possibly of glass in your eyes.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Has anyone got any opinions for or against RST and/or Hein Gericke gear? Mate of mine has been to about 3 or 4 brick-and-mortar stores to try on kit. He's finally narrowed his choice of jackets down to two, one RST and one Hein Gericke.

The RST one is longer and he seems to prefer the slight extra waterproofing in it. The HG one is almost identical to the one he's been borrowing from my sister (cue jokes) and from the outside, it seems to fit him slightly better.

He hasn't got any trousers so far (he does know he needs them, his budget is just being a bit slow) so the joining to the trousers of the jackets might be a small factor. No boots currently either, but those are on the shopping list as well.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Orange Someone posted:

Has anyone got any opinions for or against RST and/or Hein Gericke gear? Mate of mine has been to about 3 or 4 brick-and-mortar stores to try on kit. He's finally narrowed his choice of jackets down to two, one RST and one Hein Gericke.

The RST one is longer and he seems to prefer the slight extra waterproofing in it. The HG one is almost identical to the one he's been borrowing from my sister (cue jokes) and from the outside, it seems to fit him slightly better.

He hasn't got any trousers so far (he does know he needs them, his budget is just being a bit slow) so the joining to the trousers of the jackets might be a small factor. No boots currently either, but those are on the shopping list as well.

I had an RST textile jacket and pants for two years, they're ok, not great in the rain after being out in a few showers, they keep you dry but soak up a ton of water so you're still a dripping mess when you get wherever you're going.
Hein Gericke are highly regarded but i've never had any of their gear, i find the best jacked for irish/uk weather is my plasticy Akito one, its waterproof and warm in rain even in winter. Not very "cool" looking but i have an A* jacket for the rare sunny day in summer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ninja.Bob
Mar 31, 2005

OptimusMatrix posted:

I've got these. Everything except the mesh palm.

http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=1664&id=7022

Do these make you look like you are one of the four riders of the apocalypse? I like the mad max styling.
The problem with my winter gloves is the lack of feel, and these don't look like they would really be a step up in that department.

Uthor posted:

I would make sure you have perforation in the tops of the fingers. I have summer gloves without it and my fingers sweat all the time.

A mesh palm won't really help much as you'll be gripping your handlebars and not getting any air. It would be nice for airing out your left hand while moving, but that's about it.

That makes sense, I'll have a look around and see what's out there.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Ninja.Bob posted:

Do these make you look like you are one of the four riders of the apocalypse? I like the mad max styling.
The problem with my winter gloves is the lack of feel, and these don't look like they would really be a step up in that department.

Oh these are awesome. They felt horrible at first but now they're like second skin to me. They're pretty good for warmer days, my hands don't sweat in them or anything.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Ninja.Bob posted:

That makes sense, I'll have a look around and see what's out there.

Joe Rocket and A* both seem to be very common in Australian stores, both make perforated leather gloves with knuckle covers. Both brands should run you about $150.

And most shops around here have a wall of gloves anyway, most of which come from china, but there's always perforated leather available somewhere on the wall for alot cheaper than big name brands.

Ninja.Bob
Mar 31, 2005
Yeah I know there is plenty out of choice out there, was just wondering if there are any that people who have been around longer than I recommend. I have a tendency to think more expensive = better and I know that isn't right in all cases. I will just run down to the local shop when I have time and see what I like, I guess gloves are pretty hard to get wrong - if they fit well and look strong with good stitching I can't muck it up.

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!

Orange Someone posted:

Has anyone got any opinions for or against RST and/or Hein Gericke gear?

I've got a Hein gericke textile jacket and would recommend them. The quality is really good and it's got all the right things in all the right places, back protector is better than the usual. I was finding useful little secret pockets in it after I first got it. And it looks good off the bike

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Thanks for the feedback. The HG stuff did seem to be really well made, it's just I'd not really come across RST stuff and was unsure of their reputation. I was tending towards the HG jacket for him, partly because of the quality and partly because of the really good fit. There did seem to be hundreds of pockets.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

redscare posted:

The problem with the glasses approach is that if you eat poo poo, you could be asking for a world of hurt including the possibly of glass in your eyes.

Well, Smith's have shatter-resistant plastic lenses, so that's not too much of an issue. Also, I still ride with my visor down, so for something to hit me in the face and break the sunglasses it's still got to go through the visor. In which case I'm pretty much hosed, sunglasses or no.

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!

Orange Someone posted:

Thanks for the feedback. The HG stuff did seem to be really well made, it's just I'd not really come across RST stuff and was unsure of their reputation. I was tending towards the HG jacket for him, partly because of the quality and partly because of the really good fit. There did seem to be hundreds of pockets.

No worries. This is the one I have, and love it, any other questions ask away

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/1_15_7/products_id/3066

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Well, Smith's have shatter-resistant plastic lenses, so that's not too much of an issue. Also, I still ride with my visor down, so for something to hit me in the face and break the sunglasses it's still got to go through the visor. In which case I'm pretty much hosed, sunglasses or no.

I wasn't talking about the visor breaking, I was talking about the helmet forcing the frame into your face upon impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 24, 2020