Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There is a small amount of web-specific color knowledge:
  • Accounting for gamma and massive color differences between different displays [it's always fun to see someone look at their design on a conference room projector for the very first time]
  • Awareness that color is usually not sufficient as a contextual cue because of colorblindness, low vision, etc. [see http://www.etre.com/tools/colourblindsimulator/]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

qirex posted:

• Accounting for gamma and massive color differences between different displays [it's always fun to see someone look at their design on a conference room projector for the very first time]

I think I'm going to get a lovely laptop to test things on for this exact reason.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Man I was just talking to a client about that yesterday. I wish there was some way to detect monitor age or type.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="butt">

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

qirex posted:

There is a small amount of web-specific color knowledge:
  • Awareness that color is usually not sufficient as a contextual cue because of colorblindness, low vision, etc. [see http://www.etre.com/tools/colourblindsimulator/]

My favorite conversations ever are explaining why Pantone XX on a printed piece looks different than Pantone XX on their monitor looks different than Pantone XX on my monitor looks different than Pantone XX on the conference room projector looks different than Pantone XX on your home TV looks different than than Pantone XX on your neighbor's TV, etc. etc. etc. and being met with blank stares.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I graduated in 2010 and freelanced a bunch of places, took an amazing internship I loved for poor pay, took a lot of mediocre jobs for poor pay and temped at my current place til I got a contract January 2013, been here a total of a year.

I have a BFA in Industrial Design and have been knocking on doors locally for a while.

My current job doesn't have room for growth and is below $ industry average by a bit so I am hunting for a new place. Jobs are just scarce in the Midwest, although a lot of research and directing jobs are opening in design fields that I am applying for as I have some experience in research.

What track do I get onto for some of the design management positions? There have been 3-4 really intriguing positions I've applied to lately that basically track emerging technologies, create corporate libraries of R&D that employees can rely on, explore directions companies can take vis a vis manufacturing/materials etc. That sounds fascinating to me. I met a guy who was the equivalent for one of the biggest US plastics manufacturers and I just wanted the guys job immediately. We exchanged cards and I may just go and ask on LinkedIn if they're hiring or looking, now that I think about it, but our school's program for introducing you to the real world post-graduate was terrible, and a number of people had their head in the sand with regard to current job market and what options are even out there.

I hate to be negative but it was a rather jarring experience.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Braincloud posted:

My favorite conversations ever are explaining why Pantone XX on a printed piece looks different than Pantone XX on their monitor looks different than Pantone XX on my monitor looks different than Pantone XX on the conference room projector looks different than Pantone XX on your home TV looks different than than Pantone XX on your neighbor's TV, etc. etc. etc. and being met with blank stares.

There was a super snotty guy who used to post here who had a gamma calibration strip on the homepage of his portfolio.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

qirex posted:

There was a super snotty guy who used to post here who had a gamma calibration strip on the homepage of his portfolio.

I'm surprised I haven't heard of this before but that's hilarious

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
It is pretty funny that designers, the exact kind of people who are aware of and sensitive to color casts and the like, have to (ideally) design their stuff to look as best it can for people that have no clue about those issues.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Colors are for chumps. Real designers use black and white and nothing else. :colbert:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

When I do logos I work entirely in black and white until I get a good design nailed down. If it doesn't look good at 1 inch by 1 inch on a lovely faxed document letterhead than I've failed.

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010

mutata posted:

When I do logos I work entirely in black and white until I get a good design nailed down. If it doesn't look good at 1 inch by 1 inch on a lovely faxed document letterhead than I've failed.

who even faxes?

get it to 32 by 32px (or 16x16) as a favicon.
that's the new fax-test.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's more of a symbolic test (if the design still looks ok after being decimated by a fax machine, then it's probably looking good), but the favicon is a good idea too.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Not an Anthem posted:

Industrial design in the midwest

What part of the midwest are you looking in? When I was applying for jobs a year ago, it seemed like there were a ton in Minnesota and Ohio for whatever reason. Are you willing/able to relocate? ID jobs are pretty scarce everywhere but NYC and San Francisco. Pretty much every industrial designer I know (including myself) had to relocate pretty far to get a decent job.

I hear you on the school being terrible at introducing you to the real world. I'd ask if we went to the same school, but mine did a BS of Industrial Design instead of a BFA. I have no idea if there's a difference there apart from terminology.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
So...major setback to my plans. CCSF, the community college in San Francisco will potentially lose their accreditation in June 2014. I was planning in starting there in the fall for certificates in animation and web programming. While it's possible they won't lose their accreditation if they fix their poo poo, it's not guaranteed.

I now need to look at other options, the Academy of Art is out of the question cause it's like $10000/semester. There is the Art Institute, whose tuition I'm not sure of off the top of my head. How terrible would it be for me to go through AI?

There's also SFSU, a 4 year program. Which is a little more affordable and some of my previous college experience would transfer over (I didn't graduate from a BFA in drawing and painting) but not much. Their animation program is part of their Cinema Department.

I'm honestly not particularly wild about reentering a 4 year program. Mostly because of the financial burden it would be for me. I do have a small amount of the GI Bill left (less than a year) and am eligible for Pell grants.

Right now my plan is to still attend CCSF in the fall and spring, after that...I dunno. Would I be better off just attending an entirely different school?

Just looking for a little advice, this poo poo threw a giant wrench into the gears of my plans. Existential crisis ahoy!!

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

dog nougat posted:

There is the Art Institute, whose tuition I'm not sure of off the top of my head. How terrible would it be for me to go through AI?

Just looking for a little advice, this poo poo threw a giant wrench into the gears of my plans. Existential crisis ahoy!!

I go to AI Austin, and many people do not approve of the schools. It depends entirely on what campus you go to and if you do online or on campus courses. My experience here at the school (I graduate in September) has been mostly positive; there have been a few hiccups here and there, many of which have cropped up only recently in this last quarter, but most of that has to do with how small the web design program is here and a lack of available instructors. If you go to AI, I'd recommend taking on campus courses because you have the advantage of being face to face with your instructors and getting a lot of personal help; it also allows you to form good relationships with them and the ability to network with your fellow students, which will be handy in the future. They do their best to assist with job placement and many of the campuses, from what I understand, have a high success rate in that regard. All of my instructors worked or still work in the industry; they aren't just teachers who took courses and don't have any experience other than teaching.

The schools are, I believe, for profit, so they're pretty expensive compared to other schools. They aren't 10K a semester, but it's still a hole in the pocket. All campuses are the same as far as I know: on campus classes are eleven weeks, ranging from two to four hours depending on the class. You attend each class once a week (or twice if it's a general education class, but again this depends). Online classes last six weeks, and either take place in the first half of the eleven weeks or the second half. How those are handled is dependent on the instructor. How many classes you take is all on you, and after the first quarter, you can choose what classes you take, provided you have the prerequisites for them.

If you want to consider an AI school, get to the campus for their open house. If it's like AI Austin, they have student volunteers working as Ambassadors for the programs to talk about their experiences. They tend to lead guided tours around the campus and help assist their program heads in explaining how each program works. Many are very willing to talk one on one with any interested students, and it's a prime opportunity to get some insight into the campus and your program. The Ambassadors aren't paid (at least not on my campus) so they tend to be really open and honest about their experience; it can really make or break your desire to go to the school depending on what they have to say.

Honestly it is not a terrible school, and I don't think it deserves all the crap it gets. At least not the campus I go to. There are a lot of amazing faculty both on and off campus who are very passionate about their work and want to help you succeed. They also will bend over backwards to help you out when you need it; I was missing a class for this final quarter that was not available in any shape or form, so they took one of my electives and wrote it in as a replacement class, requiring me to take a third elective so I can graduate. I didn't want to be there for another quarter because of one class, and they didn't want me there either. Yes there are bad apples, but you will get that at just about any school. Again, attend one of their open houses to get a glimpse of campus life and make an effort to talk to any students, not just the Ambassadors.

How companies view people who attend AI I couldn't tell you. A lot of my friends have had no problem landing jobs though.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Transmogrifier posted:

How companies view people who attend AI I couldn't tell you. A lot of my friends have had no problem landing jobs though.

To be honest, I've never seen an application from an AI student that wasn't terrible. Like any creative program, you're only going to get out of it what you put into it, and if all you're doing is the bare minimum coursework you're not going to learn much and you're going to have a lovely portfolio. Expensive and high ranking schools like MICA or SVA (for example) push their students really hard, so it's difficult for someone to graduate without a pretty solid portfolio – AI doesn't do the same it seems. If you want to be able to compete with the best of the best, you'll have to work on a lot of self-initiated or freelance projects to flesh out your portfolio, and probably also do some out of class reading (theory!) and consuming of design to stay up to date.

Point being, as someone who looks at a ton of portfolios and applications I don't immediately consider AI a mark against you, but the statistics are not in your favor.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

kedo posted:

To be honest, I've never seen an application from an AI student that wasn't terrible. Like any creative program, you're only going to get out of it what you put into it, and if all you're doing is the bare minimum coursework you're not going to learn much and you're going to have a lovely portfolio. Expensive and high ranking schools like MICA or SVA (for example) push their students really hard, so it's difficult for someone to graduate without a pretty solid portfolio – AI doesn't do the same it seems. If you want to be able to compete with the best of the best, you'll have to work on a lot of self-initiated or freelance projects to flesh out your portfolio, and probably also do some out of class reading (theory!) and consuming of design to stay up to date.

Point being, as someone who looks at a ton of portfolios and applications I don't immediately consider AI a mark against you, but the statistics are not in your favor.

I'll absolutely agree with this. I really felt like only a very small handful of my teachers really pushed me, not just with regards to the projects I did in their classes but outside of them as well.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
I'm being contracted out to write a monthly newsletter for a design firm. I will be given a theme and then be required to research and write the article.

In addition to this I'll also be asked to occasionally write sales emails.

How much should I charge? My rate is $50 an hour. I'm thinking of billing them for 5-6hrs per newsletter and 1-2hrs per quick sales email.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

GiveUpNed posted:

I'm being contracted out to write a monthly newsletter for a design firm. I will be given a theme and then be required to research and write the article.

In addition to this I'll also be asked to occasionally write sales emails.

How much should I charge? My rate is $50 an hour. I'm thinking of billing them for 5-6hrs per newsletter and 1-2hrs per quick sales email.

$300 for an informative, well written newsletter feels pretty cheap to me. I'd tack some additional cashola on top of your hourly and then do a flat fee for each email. Probably depends on the size / gross of the firm.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

kedo posted:

$300 for an informative, well written newsletter feels pretty cheap to me. I'd tack some additional cashola on top of your hourly and then do a flat fee for each email. Probably depends on the size / gross of the firm.

So $500 an email and $150 per sales email?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

GiveUpNed posted:

So $500 an email and $150 per sales email?

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me!

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

kedo posted:

The Skinny on Art Institutes and How it Can Affect Your Creative Future:

Let me start off by saying I attended and graduated from the Art Institute of Seattle. That being said, it's a glorified technical college. Kedo is absolutely correct in what I've bolded in the quoted text. Art Institutes are a viable option for people who cannot afford the uber expensive high ranking art schools, however prepare to provide your own "push" to kick rear end. So many of the kids I went to AI with were straight out of high school and looking for that college experience (i.e. more interested in partying than studying) and it absolutely reflected in their work. I can count on one hand the number of friends I attended AI with who are currently using their degree this day (granted, I graduated 10 years ago). Don't go to an AI expecting to float through and have an awesome portfolio - the odds are stacked against you. Now, if you bust your rear end and make everything you create the best you can and push your teachers to push you, you'll be fine and come out as one of the minority with a quality portfolio.

Now, as I peruse candidates to fill my creative team, where they went to school is NOT the first thing I look at. The first thing is ALWAYS their portfolio. If you have a kick rear end portfolio, I generally don't care where you went to school as long as you graduated (and even that can be waived if a portfolio is that strong [hasn't happened yet]).

So, if you want to attend AI, go for it! Just be prepared to be a self-starter and manage your time and your teachers wisely.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Right on. Thanks for the advice. I've decided that I'm still going to attend CCSF while they have accreditation. If they lose it, I'll Just transfer to a different school. Luckily, or not depending on how you look at it, my credits from PSU will transfer over if I do decide to go to a 4 year school. Well my Gen Eds and probably a little bit of the core courses. Not a whole lot of what I learned in Drawing & Painting will really transfer over to Animation, at least on a academic level.

Regardless of whatever school I go to, I realize that I'm going to have to be the one to push myself to succeed and make my work as strong as it can be. I'm looking forward to the more commercial aspect of arting. Theoretically it should be more critical of my work, somewhat unlike a fine-arts program, where pretty much anything goes as long as you put time and effort into it.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Currently stuck with a mediocre retail job at an electronics store.

The 10,000,000$ question is whether or not college is worth the $60,000 loan............

Any advice much appreciated!

Computer Serf fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 13, 2013

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Panda Time posted:

Currently stuck with a mediocre retail job at an electronics store.
In the last 5 years I've worked (volunteered) with various live event audio/video crews but nothing panned out.
Trying to learn audio/video editing, motion graphics / 3D rendering, architecture, design, and programming...

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to dive back into school and bite the bullet on the whole student-loan thing (sort of feel like this may be a waste of time as I see my peers have landed $80,000 jobs with no college whatsoever).
OR
Go down the computer cert / programming route, in the hopes of landing an entry level position.

Any advice much appreciated!

Why on earth would you want to learn all of those things? That's not a career, that's a pile. Pick one or two things to get good at and make a rocking portfolio at that. Editing and motion graphics are complimentary skills, motion graphics and 3D are complimentary skills, 3D and architecture are complementary skills, etc. But the career you attain with any two of those skills has nothing to do with knowing any other pair.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

dog nougat posted:

Existential crisis ahoy!!
Their accredation won't effect you in the slightest if you're going for topical certificates, in fact this might be a good opportunity to get into non-crowded classes. The accredation thing is a big deal to most of CCSF's students because they're planning on transfering to a 4-year but if you're not then it's not a big deal.

In conclusion gently caress all open-admission art schools, forever. They're not all the same except that none of them are worth the money.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

qirex posted:

Their accredation won't effect you in the slightest if you're going for topical certificates, in fact this might be a good opportunity to get into non-crowded classes. The accredation thing is a big deal to most of CCSF's students because they're planning on transfering to a 4-year but if you're not then it's not a big deal.

In conclusion gently caress all open-admission art schools, forever. They're not all the same except that none of them are worth the money.

That's a totally valid point I hadn't even considered and certainly helps to ease my fears about the future. The big issue for loss of accreditation would be a loss of eligibility for federal aid. It's not the end of the world, considering it's only 4 semesters I'm looking at and I can still get 2 in with aid but it's still a financial burden I'd rather not bear. Really wishing I hadn't squandered/wasted my time pursuing a fine arts degree in drawing & painting only to realize it'd be completely worthless/want what I really wanted anyway.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Hopefully this is the right place to ask this but, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good colleges to get a bachelors in Animation in New Jersey...so far my major has been for 3D animation, which I've taken three years of Brookdale courses for, but I've always wanted to study up on 2D as well.

I've looked into a few places, but most of the big ones are either out of state (which I can't do at this time - though I'm willing to venture out to New York) or cost way to much to attend. I've been starting to look at online options, but I don't know if there's any that would be decent and worth sacrificing human contact/critique.

I really have no idea what to look for, and I can't even say that I 100% know what I want to do in life since I feel like I didn't get to fully experience any other options.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
My sister graduated from MICA and is being treated like poo poo at her current job. I would like to help her find a new job. She does computer/traditional media, illustration with a focus in concept/pre-production art for games. Any ideas where I could look?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Hopefully this isn't to soon but, I was wondering if anyone here has ever attended, or has a personal opinion on "The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division"?

Most of the reviews seem really negative but a few saying that people just couldn't handle it, I'm a bit confused on what to believe.

Since I'm naive enough to assume that everyone here is like an art God, I was hoping that someone whose ever looked into it or actually taken a few courses from it could help me out here and give me a personal opinion about it.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
If you're interested in AI's online art training, I believe you'll miss out on: 1.) meeting people, as you've acknowledged already, and 2.) skillset-based education that is much cheaper to get elsewhere on your own time, from community college courses, free online tutorials and keynotes, and museums, your own practice, and books. :) Just my two cents, as an acquaintance of someone who was 'placed' by his AI school into an Office Max cashier position and touted to be in an 'art job' according to the college, because Office Max has printing services. Yes, that is what AI thinks an art job is: Laser jet printing and faxing.

I've been reading these articles on the subject:
https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/138c5efd45e9
http://petapixel.com/2011/09/02/us-gov-sues-the-art-institutes-for-11-billion-fraud/
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/09/education/09forprofit.html?_r=0

The first one has a DIY online education course for 10k compiled of multiple resources and ideas, although most of the things on that list are cheap or free to do in your own time. I mean, if the online aspect is what's appealing to you.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

GreatJob posted:

If you're interested in AI's online art training, I believe you'll miss out on: 1.) meeting people, as you've acknowledged already, and 2.) skillset-based education that is much cheaper to get elsewhere on your own time, from community college courses, free online tutorials and keynotes, and museums, your own practice, and books. :) Just my two cents, as an acquaintance of someone who was 'placed' by his AI school into an Office Max cashier position and touted to be in an 'art job' according to the college, because Office Max has printing services. Yes, that is what AI thinks an art job is: Laser jet printing and faxing.

I've been reading these articles on the subject:
https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/138c5efd45e9
http://petapixel.com/2011/09/02/us-gov-sues-the-art-institutes-for-11-billion-fraud/
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/09/education/09forprofit.html?_r=0

The first one has a DIY online education course for 10k compiled of multiple resources and ideas, although most of the things on that list are cheap or free to do in your own time. I mean, if the online aspect is what's appealing to you.

I decided to drop looking for a school right now. I'm just going to try to squirrel away as much money as I possibly can.
Still, I feel like a total bum about not being in some sort of school program...even though like you said, I can pretty much learn most things if I actually take the time to get books, research, etc.

I just feel like I don't have the same drive though when I'm with an instructor.

I'm also probably going to be staying away from any more AI offers from now on.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

scarycave posted:

I decided to drop looking for a school right now. I'm just going to try to squirrel away as much money as I possibly can.
Still, I feel like a total bum about not being in some sort of school program...even though like you said, I can pretty much learn most things if I actually take the time to get books, research, etc.

I just feel like I don't have the same drive though when I'm with an instructor.

I'm also probably going to be staying away from any more AI offers from now on.

What region are you in? There are plenty of good art schools scattered around.

e: Stalked your post history. Right in your east coast backyard you have a couple of really great schools. MICA and RISD both turn out consistently good, hireable folks in what I've seen. More expensive than AI I'm sure, but probably worth it.

kedo fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 31, 2013

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

scarycave posted:

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this but, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good colleges to get a bachelors in Animation in New Jersey...so far my major has been for 3D animation, which I've taken three years of Brookdale courses for, but I've always wanted to study up on 2D as well.

I've looked into a few places, but most of the big ones are either out of state (which I can't do at this time - though I'm willing to venture out to New York) or cost way to much to attend. I've been starting to look at online options, but I don't know if there's any that would be decent and worth sacrificing human contact/critique.

I really have no idea what to look for, and I can't even say that I 100% know what I want to do in life since I feel like I didn't get to fully experience any other options.

If you're close or can get close to Philadelphia, U Arts has continuing education classes that are fairly cheap. You can easily learn AfterEffects or Flash for 2D animation. The college itself refuses to admit that 3D animation is a thing and treats it like a trade but the 2D teachers are all really good.

There are a also a ton of art clubs that offer cheap still life and model open studios. The regulars are pretty terrible (Sketch Club on Camac has this one PAFA douche that inflicts opera on everyone) but if you are looking to save money and don't mind driving/taking a train in, you can hone your skills before finding a degree path.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Yah, I'd advocate taking a few observational courses (still lifes, model drawing) so you can taste some in-person critique and what it feels like to be pushed, if it's instructor guidance that's interesting to you. The continuing ed U Arts courses sound perfect for this. That would give you more sense of what it will be like to take out a loan or blow your life savings in a full-time program such as the ones recommended by kedo. Continuing ed courses could also give you some pieces that might bring you a scholarship or two. The schools look for observational studies.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I have taken a figure drawing class, and it was a lot of fun. I'd love to take another one.
Still - the big issue right now is money...I was looking at a school and even with loans and a scholarship for my grades it was just to much to attend.
I guess for the meantime, I'll try to keep brushing up my techniques and continue to squirrel away my minimum wage money. I just feel like a total bum right now.

I'll probably try to look into that U-arts stuff, though I don't know if I'll be able to routinely get to Philly (Google says that from New Jersey its only about an hour and thirty minutes).

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

So, my estranged step-sister is planning on attending the Art Institute of Seattle, and I'm trying to help her out. She basically fled home at 18 (long story, her biological mother convinced her that her dad and my mom were unfit parents because they made her do chores and come home before 11 on school nights) and is striking out on her own, but I don't want her to screw herself over. I have precisely 0 experience with independent art schools, though I am more familiar with art programs at larger institutions (I worked for my undergrad's Fine Arts department).

I guess my question is: is AIS a decent art school? It's a for-profit private school which seems like a big red flag, but since I'm unfamiliar with it, I was hoping someone would know more about it.

She was really excited to get in, and wants to pursue animation, but am I right in assuming that she'd be better off in an art program at a 4-year or a community college? Again, I don't know much about art education outside of 4-years, so I could be totally off base and it is better to go to a place like AIS?

Edit: I suppose it would help if I read half a page above my own post :downs:

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 3, 2013

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!
Full-time job posting incoming for any Motion Graphic Designers in the South Florida area, where you get to replace me, your boy Electric Crayon. I have a new gig lined up and would like to extricate myself from my 30-days notice contract, but can't do so unless I find a replacement. It's a pretty cushy gig, but you'll have to be an all-rounder. Pay can be expected in the $40,000 range.

Job Description:
The Motion & Graphic Designer at Tropic Survival will work under the art director and be expected to create visual packages for commercial advertisements, online display ads (both still and animated), print materials (logos, brochures, etc.), and images for web assets. He-or-she will be expected to work as part of a team and be familiar with working with producers, editors and account executives. He-or-she will be knowledgeable of brand standards and will be expected to uphold a high level of detail. The ideal candidate will be experienced with After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash, Cinema 4D and Dreamweaver.

Hit me up if you have a demo reel or any applicable materials.

Position filled, thanks!

Electric Crayon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a lead on a web app visual design (skinning, icons, etc.) for a large company here in SF, probably long-term contract. This probably best-suited for a mid-to-senior level designer with experience in a large organization. I'll have a job description soon if anyone's interested.

Edit: expanding this to mobile web UI/UX designers as well.

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 28, 2013