Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
Do coloured cups start to look bad after a few years use or is it only obvious with clear ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Beep Street posted:

Do coloured cups start to look bad after a few years use or is it only obvious with clear ones?

Dunno about the coloured ones, but a diva cup will whiten right up if you soak it in hydrogen peroxide overnight. They warn that peroxide can shorten the lifespan, but I've been doing it every 3-4 months for years and my cup still looks like new.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I've been soaking my Diva Cup in peroxide every month for the past couple of years too. Before that, it was every couple of months. I've had the thing for 8+ years.

It's the only cup I've ever had.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I've actually had one laying around for awhile but gave up right away because I was less skilled at jamming things up my vag than I am now. I assume it's still ok? It's several years old but hasn't been used. It turned a little yellow but seems the same otherwise.

I really could use it, I had Nexplanon put in a few months ago and apparently my dumb loving uterus isn't used to it yet because I am bleeding all the time. This last period has been going for like two weeks with no signs of stopping! :smith:

So um it kinda feels like I'm gonna suck my uterus out when I remove it. Am I doing it wrong? Or is it just a feeling you get used to? I have a Diva Cup 1 if it matters.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

I've actually had one laying around for awhile but gave up right away because I was less skilled at jamming things up my vag than I am now. I assume it's still ok? It's several years old but hasn't been used. It turned a little yellow but seems the same otherwise.

I really could use it, I had Nexplanon put in a few months ago and apparently my dumb loving uterus isn't used to it yet because I am bleeding all the time. This last period has been going for like two weeks with no signs of stopping! :smith:

So um it kinda feels like I'm gonna suck my uterus out when I remove it. Am I doing it wrong? Or is it just a feeling you get used to? I have a Diva Cup 1 if it matters.

It should still be fine as long as you're the same size down there (haven't had a baby or gotten really into kegel exercises or anything).

It shouldn't feel like it's going to suck your uterus out if you're removing it correctly. Usually the feeling is because you formed a seal in there (which is good, that's how the thing works) that wants to pull on your cervix when you remove it. You should try to break the seal before removing the cup; try inserting a finger along the side or folding it while it's still inside you. You just want to let some air up in there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HondaCivet posted:

Just give it a wash with soap and water, or soak in in hydrogen peroxide for 20 minutes and it should be fine. Silicone doesn't degrade just from being in a drawer for a few years.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

After a few days, I think I am Getting It. Inserting and removal suck still but the rest of the time I pretty much get to pretend I'm not on my period. It can't fall out or leak and it's not a drat diaper. I applaud this thread for showing me the light!

Hypatias Homegirl
Nov 17, 2014

Re-gift anyone?
I supported the recent Lily Cup compact kickstarter campaign, because more menstrual cups heck yeah. It works well. Nothing is wrong with the Diva Cup that I already have, but the cup was a perk so I've tried it out. The material is softer than the Diva, and it works well. Anyone else used Lily Cups?

Mushinronsha
Apr 14, 2006

Please do not feed poinsettias to animals, its not good for them and I dont want PI to yell at me.

Hypatias Homegirl posted:

I supported the recent Lily Cup compact kickstarter campaign, because more menstrual cups heck yeah. It works well. Nothing is wrong with the Diva Cup that I already have, but the cup was a perk so I've tried it out. The material is softer than the Diva, and it works well. Anyone else used Lily Cups?

It's collapsible and has a cute little case!! Why did no one tell me about this earlier?

Does it open ok being so thin and fold-able?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

HondaCivet posted:

After a few days, I think I am Getting It. Inserting and removal suck still but the rest of the time I pretty much get to pretend I'm not on my period. It can't fall out or leak and it's not a drat diaper. I applaud this thread for showing me the light!

Oh it can leak if it's full, believe me.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Scudworth posted:

Oh it can leak if it's full, believe me.

:gonk:

I don't usually bleed all that much so hopefully I don't have to find this out the hard way.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HondaCivet posted:

:gonk:

I don't usually bleed all that much so hopefully I don't have to find this out the hard way.

I find when it is getting full it gets heavier and sits lower, so I can feel it more. I've never been surprised by an over-full cup while awake. If it does get full enough to leak I can sort of feel that too. Sort of a slithering feeling. That's at the point of just spotting on the underwear phase, you're not going stand up and unexpectedly look like a crime scene. Best not to wait that long though, it does get messy to remove if you let things go too far.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
After cycles of persevering, I have finally figured out my cup and how to get it positioned, open, out etc.

Lube. Lots of lube. Stupid foof.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
I use lube as well. It really helps me.

One thing I notice is that sometimes I seem to forget how to put the cup in each month. This evening I decided to go ahead and put it in because I felt like my period would start overnight or tomorrow. (As an aside, that's one of the things I really like about the cup.) However, it took me three tries to get it in and opened, and my bits were not happy. In fact, I think I may have scratched myself, because later the cup seemed to be leaking, but then it seemed like the blood wasn't coming from inside. Like no matter how much I wipe, there's more blood, even though my period hadn't really started. And I'm sore.

Did I scratch myself or tear something? Did my battle with the cup jump start the flood? Any suggestions?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ZoeDomingo posted:

I use lube as well. It really helps me.

One thing I notice is that sometimes I seem to forget how to put the cup in each month. This evening I decided to go ahead and put it in because I felt like my period would start overnight or tomorrow. (As an aside, that's one of the things I really like about the cup.) However, it took me three tries to get it in and opened, and my bits were not happy. In fact, I think I may have scratched myself, because later the cup seemed to be leaking, but then it seemed like the blood wasn't coming from inside. Like no matter how much I wipe, there's more blood, even though my period hadn't really started. And I'm sore.

Did I scratch myself or tear something? Did my battle with the cup jump start the flood? Any suggestions?

You could have scratched yourself. Or you could have damaged your hymen -- it's stretchy so it doesn't necessarily go away entirely. Just like it can break from things other than sex, it can be durable enough to have remnants left even after you've had lots of sex and ridden horses and whatnot.

Or it's possible your bits got mad enough that your cervix moved a bit. It can do that. Or the cup is sitting wrong. Then instead of sitting like this:

It could be sitting like this:

The good thing is that none of those scenarios are a big deal. If it's caused by irritation or struggle most of them would self-correct after a few hours rest. If you are worried about it, switch to a pad for tonight and give your vag a rest. Tomorrow everything should be fine.

Hypatias Homegirl
Nov 17, 2014

Re-gift anyone?

Mushinronsha posted:

It's collapsible and has a cute little case!! Why did no one tell me about this earlier?

Does it open ok being so thin and fold-able?

It does open ok and although I thought it would be hard to push it up to adjust it because it's foldable and all, it actually slides into place pretty damned easy. I'm happy with it. It's nice having two cups, I'm rarely without at least one of them.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Has anyone used the Duchess Cups? They claim to be made in the US and seem to be a little less expensive. Otherwise, I might go get a MeLuna or the Lily cup(the rolling up for storage might be nice... and that rim for no spilling!). The Eva Cup might be a good shot, too, though.

Decisions are hard.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 17, 2015

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

How do I pick what brand of cup to buy?

I've never used tampons because I hated the idea of it but I'm not uncomfortable with the idea of inserting a cup....is this for me?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

heck yes it's for you!
I'd say check out MeLuna; they've got oodles of options as far as color, size, stems, and such.
we're here for ya should you have any other questions! good luck!

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I could probably count on one hand how many times I've used tampons and I love my cup. I just got the diva cup brand wise, because it happened to be in the store and on sale.

Hypatias Homegirl
Nov 17, 2014

Re-gift anyone?
I started with the Keeper, bought a Diva Cup when the Keeper was about 7 years old. Now I have a Lily Cup Compact as well that I got as a perk from backing their kickstarter. Suffice it to say that I am a supporter and lover of menstrual cups. I think you should start with a reputable brand that you can afford and go from there. The stems are often adjustable if you find them too long, and seriously, you won't know till you take the plunge and try one. It's your body, you know it best. You won't regret it. They're loving fantastic.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I went with a Sckoon because they had free shipping on Amazon. (And pretty colors! This really makes things more fun for me. MeLuna has that going for it too.)

There's a menstrual cups live journal with a ton of data. It's a bit overwhelming. It's tough to know what will work for you before you try one. You also know your body best: if you feel like you have an especially heavy flow or know that your cervix hangs low sometimes, we can toss out a few ideas to try.

I say find a good deal from a good brand, then if you're having trouble we can help find a better fit.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I was looking at the lunette cup? I'm 31 with one kiddo. My periods have been very light for years but I've also been on hormonal birth control for years that I'm going off of for a bit. Pros/cons with lunette?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

sheri posted:

Pros/cons with lunette?

Seriously they're all nearly identical. The small differences between cups will only become apparent or important to you once you get used to using one and figure out more about your body in that way. That can take years.

Buy whichever one fits your budget and has agreeable shipping to you.

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011

Scudworth posted:

Seriously they're all nearly identical. The small differences between cups will only become apparent or important to you once you get used to using one and figure out more about your body in that way. That can take years.

Buy whichever one fits your budget and has agreeable shipping to you.

Yeah, there are tons of sources out there about describing the different cups to the millimeter of its measurements.
But I'd say I have a pretty average vagina and the Diva Cup - which people say is sooo long - fits me just fine. Shorter cups do too. It doesn't seem to matter a lot to most people.

I would however resist the urge to get the smallest one you can find, such as the small meluna. That is way too small to get the full 8-12 hour protection for most people.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Honestly, it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference. People like to optimize which cup they buy for their special snowflake vagina but, barring medical conditions, anyone could get used to any cup. If you get a whole bunch, you'll probably have a favorite brand, size, color, material, etc. but that boils down to personal preference.

If your vagina deviates from the average range of vaginas, tell the thread and someone may be able to offer a suggestion.

I think the only thing of note is check if it's made of natural rubber if you have an allergy/sensitivity.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

GoodBee posted:

Honestly, it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference. People like to optimize which cup they buy for their special snowflake vagina but, barring medical conditions, anyone could get used to any cup. If you get a whole bunch, you'll probably have a favorite brand, size, color, material, etc. but that boils down to personal preference.

If your vagina deviates from the average range of vaginas, tell the thread and someone may be able to offer a suggestion.

I think the only thing of note is check if it's made of natural rubber if you have an allergy/sensitivity.

The Diva Cup really is too large for some people, like, to the point it sticks out. Find one that you can't feel at all, as opposed to one you have to get used to.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GoodBee posted:

This sentence is going to end up in a goons.txt somewhere.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

compshateme85 posted:

The Diva Cup really is too large for some people, like, to the point it sticks out. Find one that you can't feel at all, as opposed to one you have to get used to.

It still fits most people on the planet just fine though. It's not insanely enormous or anything. The only reason to get a Diva over something cheaper is Diva is the only brand I've ever seen in a brick-and-mortar store.

Angela Christine posted:

This sentence is going to end up in a goons.txt somewhere.

Good.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

GoodBee posted:

It still fits most people on the planet just fine though. It's not insanely enormous or anything. The only reason to get a Diva over something cheaper is Diva is the only brand I've ever seen in a brick-and-mortar store.

I don't know about most people on the planet, but the difference between comfort and holy poo poo this is terrible can be as small as a few mm difference in size. I actually bought a DIva the first time I tried a cup, and ended up cutting it down to where it was comfortable until I learned that smaller cups were out there. I wish the other brands were sold in stores here too. Does anyone know why they're not?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Probably because Diva just was first. I know it wasn't the first cup but for a while there were only 2 or 3 brands and the one you could buy depended on where you lived. Diva is the one where I live in the US.

Cups don't sell a whole lot. You only need one.

Edit: There's really no way to size cups besides just buy one and if you don't like it, then compare it to other cups.

GoodBee fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 9, 2015

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
Went to Amazon to buy a smaller Sckoon and came across the FemmyCycle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQ9E4B8?psc=1

I've not seen a cup this shape before. Have any of you used it? I'm intrigued because they have a "low cervix" option.

E: looking at YouTube reviews now and holy crap that's a big cup.

Chicken McNobody fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 9, 2015

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

I like my medium Meluna with a ring instead of a stem. Such comfort and effectiveness!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Are you supposed to be able to feel your cup? When I lay on my back or push my hips backwards when i'm standing I can feel it. It isn't uncomfortable, just weird since I'm not used to that sensation. I think I have it in right but I have no idea. This is my first time using it.

Any tricks for easier insertion or just time and use?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

sheri posted:

Are you supposed to be able to feel your cup? When I lay on my back or push my hips backwards when i'm standing I can feel it. It isn't uncomfortable, just weird since I'm not used to that sensation. I think I have it in right but I have no idea. This is my first time using it.

Any tricks for easier insertion or just time and use?

If you have a very long cup like the Diva or lily, or if you a very short vagina, then you might feel it. It's also possible it isn't up quite far enough, but if that was the case you'd probably feel it all the time, not just in certain postures. Ideally with a perfect fit it sits up far enough that it is in the zone with very few nerves, but it's one of those "everyone is different" things so it seems to be impossible to predict how it will be for you. It isn't the sort of thing where you can try it on before you buy.

If you are using a cup with a long stem and the part you are feeling is the stem, not the main body of cup, it may be possible to trim the stem. For most cups the stem is just there to help you find the bottom of the cup, it doesn't actually help you remove the cup because no matter how hard you tug on the stem the cup isn't moving until you pinch the bottom to break the seal. If you don't have a long black hole vagina or stubby fingers you may have no trouble locating the bottom of the cup even without the stem to help.

As for making it easier to insert, some people swear by lube. Slides right up. The suction prevents it from sliding back out. The downside is that the lube residue can make it more difficult to get a good grip on it when it is time to remove. Just make sure you use a compatible lube. If you are using a silicone cup you must not use silicone based lube, use water or oil based lube instead.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

Chicken McNobody posted:

Went to Amazon to buy a smaller Sckoon and came across the FemmyCycle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQ9E4B8?psc=1

I've not seen a cup this shape before. Have any of you used it? I'm intrigued because they have a "low cervix" option.

E: looking at YouTube reviews now and holy crap that's a big cup.

Whoa this cup is fascinating

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

sheri posted:

I want to echo what Angela Christine said and also add that if you still feel the cup after you trim the stem you might try turning the cup inside out before inserting it. This makes it shorter so you won't feel it as much. It also adds another interesting layer to removal, so be warned. Won't make it all that much harder, but if you're new and already having difficulty with removal, it's something to think about.

With insertion I'd say don't be afraid to try different folds or positioning your body in different ways until you find what works for you. Most people agree that the basic C fold is actually kind of hard to do, even though most cup instructions advise it. This video provides a decent rundown of the most common ones. I like the origami fold, myself; though watching this, it seems I don't do it quite like the video shows. Looks like my technique has evolved over time. :)

spatula posted:

Whoa this cup is fascinating

It is. I don't quite know what to make of it. The two youtube reviews I watched, neither reviewer managed to successfully use it. One was like, "Maybe if you have a high cervix it would work," and the other was like, "maybe if you have a low cervix it would work," so I don't have high hopes for it.

...still kind of want to try it, though.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

After the first hour or two I couldn't feel it anymore so I'm sure it was just me being hyperaware of "THIS IS DIFFERENT"

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
Sometimes I feel mine for a bit after I insert it. Then I think it gets kind of "vacuumed" up next to my cervix and I can't feel it anymore. So I think it adjusts itself as you move around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl
Two questions -

I usually have a pretty heavy flow from having an IUD, as in soaking a pad every hour or two on my heaviest days. Will the up be able to hold all of this?

I also have a tipped uterus. Would this affect the cup at all?

• Locked thread