Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Oh I love it when something happens, like needing to apply makeup or run into the background or whatever else.

I don't love it when I've got an 80 minute video that specifies to not [NON-INTERVIEW] anything and instead get full verbatim of the interviewee, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I haven't gotten any assignments since that first ten-minute one a few days ago. Been requesting work every day, but no word. ...should I be worried?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Poison Mushroom posted:

I haven't gotten any assignments since that first ten-minute one a few days ago. Been requesting work every day, but no word. ...should I be worried?

There's definitely work, I've actually gotten assignments for most of the weekend today (One due tomorrow, a couple files for Saturday, and two more for Tuesday).

Email somebody from the contact sheet and ask if anything's wrong, I guess, because it's definitely been ramping up. How much work are you putting in for on the sheet? And, importantly, are you requesting the work in advance, or are you filling out the sheet as you go? Because you really want that filled out in advance, I've got mine filled out into the next 2 weeks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

There's definitely work, I've actually gotten assignments for most of the weekend today (One due tomorrow, a couple files for Saturday, and two more for Tuesday).

Email somebody from the contact sheet and ask if anything's wrong, I guess, because it's definitely been ramping up. How much work are you putting in for on the sheet? And, importantly, are you requesting the work in advance, or are you filling out the sheet as you go? Because you really want that filled out in advance, I've got mine filled out into the next 2 weeks.
I've been filling out days in advance, asking for ~45 minutes, but I'll up it to an hour, I guess.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Yeah, minimum I fill out is 50 minutes on days I'll have something else, otherwise I do 70-75 minutes. Sometimes they only give me ~30 minutes, sometimes ~40-50, sometimes 80+, but it seems to be working for me. I dunno, maybe I've built a rapport or something since I'm pretty agreeable and work with the DT crew pretty well.

If you have trouble with the work load, but you also have a lot of time and self-discipline, something you can do is partition the work out so you do 10 or 15 minutes per hour, then take the rest of the hour off. Keeps you from frying or anything like that.

We aren't paid by the hour, so if your days are already pretty free and you don't have tight deadlines, there's no reason not to take your time.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

sometimes 80+

Whoa, so they're not playing "Price is Right" rules with your availability?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Most places treat a minute request as at least a little fluid; generally speaking if someone asks for 75 minutes and you give them 85 they're not going to freak out. I do have one client that's absolutely terrible about pushing it, though; I have to really watch it or she'll give me 50% more tape than I asked for (and it invariably sucks).

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
I always do 45 minutes and usually end up with something but then again I've been here two years so maybe they like me even though I still get QC'ed every once in a while.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I typically ask DT for 80, my new one is 30, my Welsh one is "hey can you do X for Y, by Z?' which is lovely.

Last year I had a client go over my availability by 40 minutes, and then called me up to be assy when I said sure, if you give me more time because my availability is this, and your projects take me this amount of time. But then again that's the same client who also said on hire that we would all have reviews after six weeks for eligibility to continue the contract, and subsequently get a raise. Then it was three months. And finally it was anyone can as long as you take at least eight hours of work a week.

Clients be crazy.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Considering an 80 minute video is like $60 compared to around $50 for a 70 minuter, I won't complain if I've got 10 or 15 extra minutes of footage to do, it just means I'll schedule myself a bit of extra time working. Hell, this invoice I'll be sending in this week is over $300 at this point, which is insane. I've been working this job for 3 weeks and a day and I've surpassed a job I worked for over a year, where I got $240 per week before taxes for what my lovely boss called "full time". The only thing I wish is that the longer videos didn't tend to also require parameters like "Transcribe literally everything the interviewee says, even if it seems non-interview!".

Speaking of earnings, how much should I set aside for contractor taxes? 30% of my wage? I'm used to that poo poo coming out of my checks.

Also, anyone who didn't get the memo, I got an email a couple hours ago, if you're free during the weekend for more work, email DT, they've got a boom going on. Poison Mushroom, I'm looking to you, go get yourself some money!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

Also, anyone who didn't get the memo, I got an email a couple hours ago, if you're free during the weekend for more work, email DT, they've got a boom going on. Poison Mushroom, I'm looking to you, go get yourself some money!
Kick-rear end, lemme just find the right e-mail to send it to.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Poison Mushroom posted:

Kick-rear end, lemme just find the right e-mail to send it to.

Sally's email, I think it said.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
It did indeed, and also, I know the project you're talking about for I too am bound to that massive turd. Some of the interviews are okay, like the one I just finished and honestly there wouldn't have been that much non-interview anyway. It's a great way for them to knock out OTF's and interview at the same time to be honest considering how they're running the interviews. This is not the norm. There are long interviews in the normal style, and believe me, there will be times when you will look at a 90 minute file, it will take 25 pages, and you will be like, well poo poo, surely that's not right, but it is, and you will smile.

My favorite is the ones who only want the answer. Just the answer, And yes non-interview is allowed. And the interviewer kept telling bullshit stories and bitching about mosquitoes. :)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Slightly Used Cake posted:

It did indeed, and also, I know the project you're talking about for I too am bound to that massive turd. Some of the interviews are okay, like the one I just finished and honestly there wouldn't have been that much non-interview anyway. It's a great way for them to knock out OTF's and interview at the same time to be honest considering how they're running the interviews. This is not the norm. There are long interviews in the normal style, and believe me, there will be times when you will look at a 90 minute file, it will take 25 pages, and you will be like, well poo poo, surely that's not right, but it is, and you will smile.

My favorite is the ones who only want the answer. Just the answer, And yes non-interview is allowed. And the interviewer kept telling bullshit stories and bitching about mosquitoes. :)

The first one I got was terrible. The interviewee almost literally had a freakout on camera because they didn't like to repeat lines (After messing them up A LOT) and hated feeling scripted or whatever since, of course, the whole interview process basically requires you to be prompted for whatever you're supposed to speak about. On top of that, bullshit non-answers to questions and seemed to be trying the producer's patience by the end. The second one was better, with someone much more professional and willing to work with the producer, but who had a habit of low talking and kind of phasing out in between questions, which was also a pain since there's no non-interview to cover that poo poo up. Here's to hoping this third one will be better (Since it's almost half the length of the others and also another different person, I'm pretty hopeful).

That's not as bad as a different project I got last week, though. The interviewee threw a huge loving shitfit because it was hot in the recording studio and literally walked away while the interview was still live and the producer trying to get them back to come back. Time jump and now there's a big rear end fan blowing right into my ear. Thank gently caress that one allowed [NON-INTERVIEW] because I so did not want to have to try to discern banter while the fan was running and spooling down before they got back to actual questions.

Basically, I loving love this job, it's like I'm paid to just be a fly on the wall.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 6, 2014

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

My favorite [NON-INTERVIEW] was when an interviewee broke down and started crying and talking about something for over ten minutes. Nothing like making money in real time. I don't mind the one where we got to transcribe everything. It still goes by pretty drat fast somehow. My record paycheck is over $650 which was over the Christmas break. It was all base pay stuff, no rush jobs.

Spartan421 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 6, 2014

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Spartan421 posted:

My favorite [NON-INTERVIEW] was when an interviewee broke down and started crying and talking about something for over ten minutes. Nothing like making money in real time. I don't mind the one where we got to transcribe everything. It still goes by pretty drat fast somehow. My record paycheck is over $650 which was over the Christmas break. It was all base pay stuff, no rush jobs.

Two words: Secret Prince.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

An Old Boot posted:

Two words: Secret Prince.

Oh my god yes!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well! I just got a big project over the weekend. Lots of little files. Haven't checked just how much footage it is, but I think I'll be making up for my lack of work this week.

Fake Edit It's looking like I've got multiple gigs of video. Good lord. I hope this isn't all mine.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 6, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Poison Mushroom posted:

Well! I just got a big project over the weekend. Lots of little files. Haven't checked just how much footage it is, but I think I'll be making up for my lack of work this week.

Fake Edit It's looking like I've got multiple gigs of video. Good lord. I hope this isn't all mine.

It depends on the project itself. Those 80 minute videos I've been working with were like almost a gig each, because they were high definition and the client wanted timecodes down to the frame.

Speaking of, the reason this third one in that project is so short is because the interviewee talks fast and both the interviewee and the producer are talking over each other constantly. At least they're joking about it, interviewee basically having called it last time that the producer would keep ruining shots and producer playfully insulting the interviewee. I'm sure it'd be fun if I didn't have to snag every single word.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, I think she's in a rush, because I got the link to the Box with the files, but I'm not seeing anything like a style sheet here. E-mailed her about it, hope I get word soon. This seems to basically be the freelance equivalent of "hey, you want a bunch of overtime?".

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The guide might be hidden in there if the box has a lot of files in it. The box is also a bit slow with larger files; like that project with the 80+ minute videos, I'd get the work notification like 40 minutes before the file was actually finished uploading, that kind of thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, a lot of these seem to be duplicates, as well.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The DT crew makes mistakes once in a while, just yesterday they mispelled my last name a few times on a work notice. Email them to confirm what's going on with the box.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Anyone available and on GTalk right now? I have some really dumb questions I'd like answered. (Specifically related to the [NON-INTERVIEW] thing.)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Q: I'm about to speak something that isn't interview related; everything during this period can be rolled together into a single section, even if it's 5 minutes of makeup being applied. [NON-INTERVIEW] Now I am still Q, but I'm asking A a question that A will going to repeat for no reason, which really helps nobody, and that will be rolled into my block of text. [NON-INTERVIEW]

A: I have stopped speaking my non-interview crap and will answer you now. You also don't need to transcribe all my little okays and yeahs at the very start of my answer where I confirm I understand what Q is saying, unless the guide tells you to.

In the event that a file starts with non-interview, just have a line that reads [NON-INTERVIEW] until you get to the first real question. Again, unless otherwise noted in the guide.

That's pretty much exactly what I was told a few days ago while working with DT to figure out exactly how to handle [NON-INTERVIEW] speech and segments.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm not sure I 100% get it. Here's an example. The file has like a minute and a half of Q coaching A how to introduce himself, A trying to repeat it, and then Q correcting him over and over. How would that read?

quote:

Q: [NON-INTERVIEW]

or

quote:

Q: Say 'herpa derpa doo'. [NON-INTERVIEW]

A: Herpa dippy da. [NON-INTERVIEW]

Or would it be something else entirely?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm not sure I 100% get it. Here's an example. The file has like a minute and a half of Q coaching A how to introduce himself, A trying to repeat it, and then Q correcting him over and over. How would that read?

or

Or would it be something else entirely?

Q: This is the last interview related thing I've said. [NON-INTERVIEW] Now then, how about this question I am speaking right now, answer that.

A: I have been properly coached and am currently answering your question.

If in doubt, copy/paste the section and email it to one of the QC people and ask.

EDIT: The exception here is if you need to timecode. In that case, split AFTER the non-interview.

[10:10:10]
Q: I'm going to tell this long boring story. [NON-INTERVIEW]

[13:10:10]
Q: Aren't you glad you didn't have to transcribe all that poo poo?

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 6, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ugh. Can I please just ask these questions on G-Talk, rather than consume the entire goddamn thread with them?

Edit Literally this entire file is non-interview by a strict definition, please send help.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 6, 2014

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
They're making you do timestamps too? drat, that's rough for $0.70/minute.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

$0.75/minute!

A few projects haven't required timecodes. Some of them, like this one I'm doing right now, require them to the exact frame.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
PM'd you my address.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The video I'm working on would be fantastically hilarious if I could use [NON-INTERVIEW].

The interview's completely broken down because the interviewee hates using present tense on things that already happened, so now the interviewee and interviewer are just insulting and mocking each other back and forth, so far culminating with the interviewer dropping the :iceburn: "No wonder your wives left you!"

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Yeah, DT's rates aren't the best, but they're one of the few outfits that regularly hire entry-level transcribers. Also, it's media experience, which is the key to getting the really good jobs. I always tell people to start out there, grind for at least six months (and learn as-broadcast work if at all possible) and then you can start branching out and finding better-paying gigs. "I've transcribed reality television for six months and haven't shot myself" looks much better on a resume than "I've heard about this transcription lark and think I might give it a try." :)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Yeah. I don't mind it. When the work's consistent, it's good pay for me. Not like I'd use the time any better if I weren't working for DT, I'd probably just sit here posting and playing video games all day without also garnering a salary. This way, I can still do that bullshit during breaks or in between jobs, but I also get paid for typing for a few hours every day.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

kazmeyer posted:

Yeah, DT's rates aren't the best, but they're one of the few outfits that regularly hire entry-level transcribers. Also, it's media experience, which is the key to getting the really good jobs. I always tell people to start out there, grind for at least six months (and learn as-broadcast work if at all possible) and then you can start branching out and finding better-paying gigs. "I've transcribed reality television for six months and haven't shot myself" looks much better on a resume than "I've heard about this transcription lark and think I might give it a try." :)

Good point. I'd say about 3/4 of the resumes I see definitely adhere to that latter quote.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

Shima Honnou posted:

Yeah. I don't mind it. When the work's consistent, it's good pay for me. Not like I'd use the time any better if I weren't working for DT, I'd probably just sit here posting and playing video games all day without also garnering a salary. This way, I can still do that bullshit during breaks or in between jobs, but I also get paid for typing for a few hours every day.

Word to this right here. I hold down a 9-5 corporate r&d gig, but student loans are an unholy bitch. The ability to use my retarded fast typing speeds from years of DOS and Mavis Beacon to grab a few hundred extra bucks a month instead of playing Mario Golf is golden.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Shima Honnou posted:

Here's to hoping this third one will be better (Since it's almost half the length of the others and also another different person, I'm pretty hopeful).

I was very wrong, this 55 minute file ended up having more loving words than either of the 80+ minute ones, over 11k.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
That's because the gopher's specialty is a triple espresso. :-)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I get the feeling my legs are gonna be like a fiddler crab's arms, my right calf is still burning and I finished like an hour ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I never thought I'd say this, but I love MTV and their bottomless supply of cash. Getting paid a premium to mash the play button for minutes on end.