Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

Awful 1.10 just dropped in the App Store. This new keyboard addition is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

a glorious hole posted:

I upgraded to 1.10...gray screen, gray screen, crash.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.1. I guess I'll try deleting and reinstalling.

EDIT: well, maybe a full reboot first. 1.10 seemed to take forever in the "installing" space, so maybe the transition of my data didn't go so well.

EDITx2: full reboot seems to have worked.

I'm still seeing some odd behavior with bookmarked threads:

1) When viewing a bookmarked thread, I am given the option to bookmark the thread rather than to unbookmark it; and
2) When going back to the list, the previously viewed bookmarked thread tends to end up in a random spot in the list.

Not critical by any stretch, but I thought those were fixed in 1.10?

ulmont fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 28, 2013

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ulmont posted:

I'm still seeing some odd behavior with bookmarked threads:

1) When viewing a bookmarked thread, I am given the option to bookmark the thread rather than to unbookmark it; and
2) When going back to the list, the previously viewed bookmarked thread tends to end up in a random spot in the list.

No, unfortunately the forums changes that caused this bug were made after 1.10 was already submitted. They'll be fixed in 1.10.1.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ulmont posted:

I believe that is fixed in 1.10.1, which basically pokeyman was waiting for 1.10 to get approved, then put in the request for 1.10.1 (so he'll probably do that today), just so 1.10 would get out and not potentially double the wait to upgrade from 10.9.

loving app store.

killerrabbit
Feb 2, 2006
The yospos themes are amazing. Can I suggest adding the barber pole progress bar, stopwatch, or spinning black and white wheel to the "loading unread posts" screen for macinyos? Thanks for all your hard work.

eames
May 9, 2009

Thanks for putting the permanent sidebar back in! It's great on the iPad in Landscape mode.

Could you please change the hidden-avatar mode to use less space and put all the "meta-information" into the header of the posting like the current iPhone and old iPad version does it?

Right now the new version just hides the avatar but it doesn't change the layout at all, which results in a little bit of wasted screen real estate and a lot of very strange line breaks.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well there's an all around new iPad layout mocked up that hopefully can just squeeze into the next release instead. Diabolik900 made it and it's the best iPad layout yet.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
The new version is amazing. The in-app browser is a really nice feature.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

Well there's an all around new iPad layout mocked up that hopefully can just squeeze into the next release instead. Diabolik900 made it and it's the best iPad layout yet.

To clarify, "the next release" in this case is not really the next release since it definitely won't be in 1.10.1.

And time will tell if this new layout is really that great. I thought the last two were great when they were just mockups, but not so much when they were actually functioning templates.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

And time will tell if this new layout is really that great. I thought the last two were great when they were just mockups, but not so much when they were actually functioning templates.

I'm all in on it.......

...which I was on the last one. :downsgun:

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Woohoo, thanks! This is awesome. In-app browser saves loads of time and the new keyboard is spiffy. Disappearing threads in bookmarks are still there though.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
New version seems to have an issue with ignored users. I updated my iPad and kept crashing when I would try to pull up a thread in my bookmarks with one reply from an ignored user. It doesn't matter how I got to the thread, bookmarks or forum navigation, both caused crashes. I had to load it on my phone to figure out what was going on. After that, I updated my phone and saw that it did the same thing. Not sure if this is because it's there weren't other replies to load or if it's just all ignored users.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Well that is one way to ignore a user.

Edit: Just tested, and I'm seeing the same thing. I've honestly never ignored someone so I'd never seen this before. It definitely doesn't matter if there are replies after the ignored user.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

pyromance posted:

New version seems to have an issue with ignored users. I updated my iPad and kept crashing when I would try to pull up a thread in my bookmarks with one reply from an ignored user. It doesn't matter how I got to the thread, bookmarks or forum navigation, both caused crashes. I had to load it on my phone to figure out what was going on. After that, I updated my phone and saw that it did the same thing. Not sure if this is because it's there weren't other replies to load or if it's just all ignored users.

Fixed, thanks!

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

ulmont posted:

1) When viewing a bookmarked thread, I am given the option to bookmark the thread rather than to unbookmark it;

Nobody else commented on this so I'll just throw out that this is occurring to me too.

One more thing is that if you're typing on the bottom line of the reply box whenever autocorrect comes up with a suggestion it's now sitting behind the new [=:/] keys.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
The new keyboard addition and the new in-app browser are both awesome.

Keep up the good work!

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Testing out the new keyboard stuff - :lol:. Does it work???

This app is getting better and better, it's tough to go back to the regular forums on a PC after using this so much. It's just so much more streamlined!

E: the only request I have is a way to view smileys. Either in the options page, or a popup on the keyboard thing. I imagine this has probably come up before, so just tossing my name into the hat.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 28, 2013

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Gasmask posted:

E: the only request I have is a way to view smileys. Either in the options page, or a popup on the keyboard thing. I imagine this has probably come up before, so just tossing my name into the hat.

A smiley selector is in the queue.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Ooh I'm liking the new keyboard. Good work.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Macinyos on iPad, excellent work!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The in-app browser title seems odd and off centre.

On the plus side no more double tapping for the image upload :)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yeah that was a "gently caress it let's just ship" moment. I'll fix it for 1.10.1.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Yeah that was a "gently caress it let's just ship" moment. I'll fix it for 1.10.1.

On the title issue, I had it mess up recently when I went from a thread to the in-app browser, watched a Youtube video, then came back to the forums. The title label had been squashed down to only one character wide, as below. This was with the latest (as of last week sometime) code from Git.

Are Diabolik900's new iPad designs available for a sneak peek anywhere?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Froist posted:

Are Diabolik900's new iPad designs available for a sneak peek anywhere?

Not really yet. The Dave, Pokeyman and I have discussed it a bit over the last few weeks, and the direction we're looking at going with it is making it more like the iPhone design. All I've done so far is make a quick wireframe of how I envisioned it, and The Dave has been working on mocking up what it will actually look like. I don't know that it's really ready to show off publicly yet.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

So I just noticed that when opening a bookmarked thread it no longer shows the last read post first, but I can't remember whether or not this was the case in the previous version too. Maybe it's been gone for a while and I never noticed. Either way I liked that feature so is there any chance that it could come back? I think it was in the settings menu before.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Just got the new update and love the new keyboard. Keep up the excellent work.

I would like to request more exclamation marks in the patch notes next time though. These patch notes deserved at least one !!! in the mix. :colbert:

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

a glorious hole posted:

Bookmark colors are really nice too.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

tooooooo bad posted:

So I just noticed that when opening a bookmarked thread it no longer shows the last read post first, but I can't remember whether or not this was the case in the previous version too. Maybe it's been gone for a while and I never noticed. Either way I liked that feature so is there any chance that it could come back? I think it was in the settings menu before.

I took it out a couple versions ago because we made it super fast to load the old posts. Scroll up a bit then tap the "previous posts" button to see what I mean.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Although I appreciate the in-app browser, I'd appreciate a toggle to instruct the app to always open in Safari, instead (or a selectable app of choice), if that's doable, please.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Keyboard is still invisible for me.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Serifina posted:

Although I appreciate the in-app browser, I'd appreciate a toggle to instruct the app to always open in Safari, instead (or a selectable app of choice), if that's doable, please.

You can long-tap links and open in Safari from there, is that close enough?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Close enough, yes. Enough that I can certainly manage!

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can you make the app punch lovely posters over the Internet? Not a serious request by the way, just trying to see if I can force grey bar of doom since its been over 4 days since I've seen it but posting has been down by me during this time. last two times I got it they cleared themselves a little later. Don't know if you added error handling in but if so it seems to be working great.

The new test version is great so far.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

When I tap and hold a link it brings up the list of options (Safari, Chrome, etc.) like I would expect. If I open something in the awful browser and then click the button in the right hand corner to open it elsewhere Safari is the only option. It would be nice to be able to pick Chrome there as well.

Great work overall :)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

pyromance posted:

Having this problem too.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Anytime I try to jump back to the first page of a post, the app crashes.

Just reporting it in case no one else has.

Otherwise, this continues to be a terrific app. Thanks!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Ozmodiar posted:

I'm not seeing it, although I am on the latest test version. Loading a bookmarked thread, hitting "first" in the popup, scrolling to 1 and hitting "jump to page", and trying it in a non-bookmarked thread. Maybe try logging out and logging back in*

*i think it's been fixed but...maybe not?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

When I tap and hold a link it brings up the list of options (Safari, Chrome, etc.) like I would expect. If I open something in the awful browser and then click the button in the right hand corner to open it elsewhere Safari is the only option. It would be nice to be able to pick Chrome there as well.

Great work overall :)

That should work in both places, it's the same code in each, so I'll take a look!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ozmodiar posted:

Can you check which version of Awful (in the Settings tab) and iOS (Settings app, General, About) you're using for me? I haven't seen that happen before.

Are there, perchance, any ignored users' posts on that first page you're trying to load?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ozmodiar posted:

Not getting this either.

• Locked thread