Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

escape artist posted:

Ugh. I was really interested in this game, and just got a new juiced up computer after having a 10 year old piece of crap. Do you think they'll release patches to fix this stuff? The deleted save issue is what really bugs me.

There'll probably be some patches down the road. In my personal experience so far (360) I've had few issues. Just some minor stuttering here and there when autosave kicks in. No erased saves between myself and my wife, but we've been playing the game on our own Xbox Live accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skellycakes
Dec 2, 2005

mediocre!

escape artist posted:

Ugh. I was really interested in this game, and just got a new juiced up computer after having a 10 year old piece of crap. Do you think they'll release patches to fix this stuff? The deleted save issue is what really bugs me.

I've played through the game's entirety once and am a third through my second playthrough (missed some achievements :( ) on PC and I didn't run into any bugs or save deletions. Just make an occasional hard save of your game if you're worried. There was also no stuttering for me during auto save either, and my computer isn't even all that great.

If I were to recommend anything, though, it'd be to invest in a 360 controller. This game finally convinced me to get one (I'd been wanting one to play old SNES games, but I'd been lazy about it) and after seeing people complain about mouse and keyboard in the game's proper thread, I'm really glad I did. It seems like it'd be awful to play without one.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

deadselly posted:

I've played through the game's entirety once and am a third through my second playthrough (missed some achievements :( ) on PC and I didn't run into any bugs or save deletions. Just make an occasional hard save of your game if you're worried. There was also no stuttering for me during auto save either, and my computer isn't even all that great.

If I were to recommend anything, though, it'd be to invest in a 360 controller. This game finally convinced me to get one (I'd been wanting one to play old SNES games, but I'd been lazy about it) and after seeing people complain about mouse and keyboard in the game's proper thread, I'm really glad I did. It seems like it'd be awful to play without one.

Yeah on PC I have no stuttering at all. And like I mentioned it's not even close to being a high end machine.

I think people are confused by the idea of the autosave spot. It's not deleting your save and you're not "losing" one. If you're the only one playing it then there's no worries, use the Continue option and play away. If you have multiple people playing then you'll need to manually save your games to different slots, just like most other games. Maybe I've just played emulators with save states and RPGs and such more than others but I wouldn't expect there to be multiple autosave spots. Unless there's actually a bug where you manually hit save and then it disappears rather than what most people are complaining about which is their autosave saved over a different autosave.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 7, 2014

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Keep in mind some of the framerate "issues" have to do with people not realizing the 30 fps limit is there by design.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I just had my first game freeze. Whew, for a minute there I almost forgot I was playing an Obsidian game. :allears:

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb9Cpg2bJTg Just got to this part on my rewatch and lost my poo poo. Season 5 is almost pure gold aside from the terrance and philipe episode.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I finished the game on PC and my most major complaint (besides the farting mechanic) is that it's too drat short. It's a decent complaint to have, but if money's an issue I'd recommend waiting for a good sale. As a bonus, there should be patches for whatever issues by then.

I don't have a PC controller, and I thought keyboard/mouse was fine. It's probably a comfort thing. The controls are what you'd expect on PC.

Having just listened to the Game Informer podcast, it seems as though the PC version is the most stable, followed by the consoles. One guy mentioned a noticeable lag between the start of a cutscene and the New Kid magically appearing on screen due to the loading time for whatever custom crap you have equipped. Wasn't an issue at all on PC.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Propaganda Machine posted:

I finished the game on PC and my most major complaint (besides the farting mechanic) is that it's too drat short. It's a decent complaint to have, but if money's an issue I'd recommend waiting for a good sale. As a bonus, there should be patches for whatever issues by then.

I don't have a PC controller, and I thought keyboard/mouse was fine. It's probably a comfort thing. The controls are what you'd expect on PC.

Having just listened to the Game Informer podcast, it seems as though the PC version is the most stable, followed by the consoles. One guy mentioned a noticeable lag between the start of a cutscene and the New Kid magically appearing on screen due to the loading time for whatever custom crap you have equipped. Wasn't an issue at all on PC.

These issues really make me think they should do next-gen ports. They'd likely be pretty easy since the PS4/Xbone are x86 machines, and they already have the x86 PC version. You'd get 1080p, stability and great load times (it would be hilarious if they programmed the game to sit in the RAM while you play it). It would only be a small bonus, not something to go rebuying the entire game for, but it would be a nice option for people. Not to mention the share options.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Powered through the rest of the game tonight. Holy poo poo Canada!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Scissorfighter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb9Cpg2bJTg Just got to this part on my rewatch and lost my poo poo. Season 5 is almost pure gold aside from the terrance and philipe episode.

Which episode is that? I think I need to re-watch the earliest season because I haven't them since I was a kid, and there was a lot of stuff that went over my head.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

escape artist posted:

Which episode is that? I think I need to re-watch the earliest season because I haven't them since I was a kid, and there was a lot of stuff that went over my head.

The first Towelie one I think.

skellycakes
Dec 2, 2005

mediocre!

ChesterJT posted:

Powered through the rest of the game tonight. Holy poo poo Canada!

A friend of mine told me Canada was awesome, but I had no idea what to expect. I wasn't expecting that, and it was beautiful. :3: (I'm a sucker for 8 and 16 bit graphics and midis though!)

skellycakes fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 9, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

deadselly posted:

A friend of mine told me Canada was awesome, but I had no idea what to expect. I wasn't expecting that, and it was beautiful. :3: (I'm a sucker for 8 and 16 bit graphics and midis though!)

That sounds like it's getting kind of spoilery. I also would like to go into it having no idea what to expect!

^^^ Thanks!

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 9, 2014

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

escape artist posted:

Season 5 episode 8, "Towelie."

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

WillieWestwood posted:

Season 5 episode 8, "Towelie."

It's right after Cartman finds Stan's mom's tampon and she doesn't want to explain periods to then, so she buys them the Okama Gamesphere.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Canada was so good I think I spoilered it before. As a rule, I think game stuff should be spoilered, since it's not available via Comedy Central or South Park Studios, for obvious reasons.

I don't think it's that spoilery, however, to note that the game really ups the ante with every new quest/area. Every time I thought I had Stick of Truth's number, something completely ridiculous happened and blew my mind.

Also, I think the reason it's stuck on PS3/360 is the development hell it was stuck in for three years while Matt and Trey were busy with other things. There's no way they could have coded for next-gen three years ago, and considering that most of the game's mechanics were well in place while they waited for Matt and Trey to write and record, I can't blame them for not going back through and porting everything.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Canada was so good I think I spoilered it before. As a rule, I think game stuff should be spoilered, since it's not available via Comedy Central or South Park Studios, for obvious reasons.

I don't think it's that spoilery,

Edit: I'll just take this out because your post was worded in a weird way that broke my brain apparently. I would suggest using the phrase spoiler tagged since spoilered isn't a word.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 9, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ChesterJT posted:

That's the worst excuse for spoilers I've ever heard. Just because a you wouldn't personally mind knowing something doesn't automatically make it not a spoiler.

And yes that is "spoilery", spoilers aren't tied directly to plot points.

Er I think he meant he does put spoilers around game stuff but not the show stuff. And that second sentence was longer and not really related to canada, I dunno why you cut it short

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Yeah. There's a video game forum (I think?). Maybe keep that discussion over there? Not trying to be a dick. I just don't want anymore of this game, which I've been anticipating for years, spoiled for me.

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
Was pretty cool they brought chef back

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

I love that a throwaway line in AWESOM-O confirms Butters' birthday is 9/11. Poor kid can't catch a break.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Well.

So I kind of trailed off on season 17. Only watched the first three episodes as they came out.

But today I watched through the rest of the season! Those Game of Thrones episodes killed me, holy poo poo. Not sure that, given my username, I should be glad or not that I didn't follow along with the thread at the time.

I'm gonna get the game, and was planning on picking up the Xbox 360 version. But I'm in Europe, so I'm trying to figure out if the region-free Asia release is censored or not first.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

KennyMan666 posted:

I'm gonna get the game, and was planning on picking up the Xbox 360 version. But I'm in Europe, so I'm trying to figure out if the region-free Asia release is censored or not first.

There's really not that much censoring, from what I understand it's like 20 seconds and you can watch it on Youtube.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

devoir posted:

There's really not that much censoring, from what I understand it's like 20 seconds and you can watch it on Youtube.

But both scenes in question have really fun gameplay.

From what I can see, they needed to censor to get ratings in the EU and Australia. Didn't see anything about Asia. Don't hold me to it, but I suspect you'll be okay with that version.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Scissorfighter posted:

Venom to thy work, buddy!

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
The humor in the game really speaks to how funny the show could be without the stupid 6 days to air deadline.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there any way legitimate way to watch this show on PS3? It's not on Netflix anymore, and I can't get the South Park Studios player to work on the console browser. Is it on any streaming service that has a PS3 app? I really want to watch it on my TV instead of my computer monitor.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Hulu Plus has all 16 seasons.

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Grin and Tonic posted:

The humor in the game really speaks to how funny the show could be without the stupid 6 days to air deadline.

Really? A lot of the jokes were just references to the show.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

RustyTrombone posted:

Really? A lot of the jokes were just references to the show.

But are the references recent or old? A lot of members at the SPS message board feel the show has seen better days, and it's those days that the game looks back to. And why fans of the show would get more out of it than regular gamers would.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
A friend threw on the Game of Thrones trilogy the other day, and I can attest that it is much, much funnier having played the drat game.

Wieners, wieners touching, not erect though, touching wieners...

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

WillieWestwood posted:

But are the references recent or old? A lot of members at the SPS message board feel the show has seen better days, and it's those days that the game looks back to. And why fans of the show would get more out of it than regular gamers would.

Recent, the princess Kenny stuff and them forming armys and the such was from a 3 parter around Nov of last year.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

WillieWestwood posted:

The references cover the ENTIRE 17 season run. Hell, sometimes the TVs will play the audio for the entire Season 2 opening episode (the Terrance and Phillip April Fools episode). But there's references to episodes both old and new spread out evenly.
Also it was nice that the references seemed natural or fluid rather than forced like that Family Guy Multiverse game.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

socialsecurity posted:

Recent, the princess Kenny stuff and them forming armys and the such was from a 3 parter around Nov of last year.

I thought that was the show referring to the game as an apology for the late release.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I thought that was the show referring to the game as an apology for the late release.

It's pretty clear that the game was supposed to have been released right after that arc aired, which is why there are so many similarities, but they botched it.

I like the game a lot, but the humour is 70% rehashed references, 30% original material, let's not kid around.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Hakkesshu posted:

I like the game a lot, but the humour is 70% rehashed references, 30% original material, let's not kid around.

Agreed, but a lot of their humor is timeless to me. I could hear them make jokes about Canada for the rest of my life.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

vote_no posted:

Agreed, but a lot of their humor is timeless to me. I could hear them make jokes about Canada for the rest of my life.

I was at a buddy's and they were on a quest to defeat Jimmy. His attempts to say things will also be timeless for me.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I was at a buddy's and they were on a quest to defeat Jimmy. His attempts to say things will also be timeless for me.

I had totally forgotten about Jimmy's Leno routine, so I laughed maniacally during a fight when Jimmy said "So the plague is going around; have you seen this? Have you heard about this?". Also if you enter Mackey's storage unit with Jimmy, he says "If you think this is bad, you should see the Obamacare website!"

I don't think it's an especially good game, and I don't see myself replaying it, but it was definitely hilarious.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

vote_no posted:

I don't think it's an especially good game, and I don't see myself replaying it, but it was definitely hilarious.

I mean, that's more or less how I feel. As a person who has played an RPG, it's pretty easy to find a setup that's OP in every fight and the puzzles alternated between being really easy and kind irritating twinkle-finding missions. As a vehicle for an extended South Park episode, the game was all it needed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It was more of a multi-episode storyarc equivalent than an extended episode. There are some pretty obvious points where an episode would have ended.

• Locked thread