Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

NTRabbit posted:

Thanks to Disney, fanfic is all it is now :v:

Well it all still is officially licensed, its just not canon to the upcoming films/ongoing releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Strobe posted:

You mean half of one, right? He didn't do poo poo to the first one, and he only got half of the second. The rest went to Lando. :colbert:

At least Wedge didn't plough straight into the thing and broke his ship, unlike Lando. :colbert:

Come to think of it, who did actually get any ship kills at Yavin? Han shot some poor guy in the back; Wedge shot someone in the face; Luke accidentally did some wingmaning, and Vader murdered everyone… anyone else?

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 13, 2015

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Tippis posted:

At least Wedge didn't plough straight into the thing and broke his ship, unlike Lando. :colbert:

Come to think of it, who did actually get any ship kills at Yavin? Han shot some poor guy in the back; Wedge shot someone in the face; Luke accidentally did some wingmaning, and Vader murdered everyone… anyone else?

Gets at least one TIE Fighter and saves Luke in the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WBG2rJZGW8

e: that TIE pilot, having come on screen in ANH for a split second, probably has a name, history, and pilot card in X-Wing

ee: Hahaha yessss I was right:
http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/%22Dark_Curse%22
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/DS-61-4

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 14, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Geisladisk posted:

Gets at least one TIE Fighter and saves Luke in the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WBG2rJZGW8

e: that TIE pilot, having come on screen in ANH for a split second, probably has a name, history, and pilot card in X-Wing

http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/%22Dark_Curse%22
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/DS-61-4

Of course. You can always expect SW fandom to fill in every last crack and crevice in unnecessarily great detail.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Geisladisk posted:

quote:

Following his reassignment to Black Squadron, DS-61-4 had planned on retiring from military service, with the conclusion of his next combat mission.

"Congrats on being badass enough to join Vader's Elite Squadron, what are you gonna do now?"
"Well, I was thinking retirement sounds nice..."

Wedge has your retirement right here, Impy. :black101:

I wonder what retirement from the Imperial Military is like. Do you do a set amount of tours? Is there a Veteran's Association and benefits? Do you get a pension if you were a career solider/officer?

Actually I wonder about the clones. Dave Filoni said that by the time of the Rebels Series (5 years before Yavin) almost all the clones had been phased out of service, and suggested they were now working lovely jobs, "at the docks" for example. It seems pretty in character that the Empire would just medically discharge the lot of them with nothing but a "thanks for all your hard, rapidly aging years of fighting and dying for us suckers".

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

"Congrats on being badass enough to join Vader's Elite Squadron, what are you gonna do now?"
"Well, I was thinking retirement sounds nice..."

Wedge has your retirement right here, Impy. :black101:

I wonder what retirement from the Imperial Military is like. Do you do a set amount of tours? Is there a Veteran's Association and benefits? Do you get a pension if you were a career solider/officer?

Actually I wonder about the clones. Dave Filoni said that by the time of the Rebels Series (5 years before Yavin) almost all the clones had been phased out of service, and suggested they were now working lovely jobs, "at the docks" for example. It seems pretty in character that the Empire would just medically discharge the lot of them with nothing but a "thanks for all your hard, rapidly aging years of fighting and dying for us suckers".

The 501st was a thing for a long time, they were clones working directly for Vader. I don't remember how long that lasted though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, but by Yavin the oldest of the clones are gonna be 30 years old, effectively "60" since they age at double-speed. I think the Tarkin novel of the new canon mentions that clone production ceased almost immediately with end of the Clone Wars, replaced by conscription, so the youngest clones would be about Luke's age, or effectively "40"ish.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Strobe posted:

You mean half of one, right? He didn't do poo poo to the first one, and he only got half of the second. The rest went to Lando. :colbert:

I can imagine Lando giving the Millenium Falcon back to Han and having a Death Star decal painted onto it just below the cockpit being all :smuggo:

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Technically in the X-Wing book as long as you shot something at least once you got credit for the eventual kill. So as long as Wedge fired even 1 laser shot at the DS1 surface, he gets full credit for the kill.

:goonsay:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Val Helmethead posted:

Technically in the X-Wing book as long as you shot something at least once you got credit for the eventual kill. So as long as Wedge fired even 1 laser shot at the DS1 surface, he gets full credit for the kill.

:goonsay:

There were several instances of partial kill credits; one pilot got to paint half a SSD in recognition of her taking out a shield generator.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Tippis posted:

Of course. You can always expect SW fandom to fill in every last crack and crevice in unnecessarily great detail.

Dude, it was as likely Lucas himself as it was the fans. Like, basically every single random alien in the bar in Mos Eisley has at least a name that he (or someone on the set I suppose) came up with.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
A lot of them got their names for action figures and toys.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I just found out that my FLGS is having a casual Armada event next Saturday. They are going to be handing out both Spring and Summer kit bonuses.

Kinda nice for a chance at the spring stuff when I didn't get Armada until after Wave 1 dropped.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
How big is the table space needed for Armada?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

How big is the table space needed for Armada?
For the full 300 points game, 3 by 6.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

And you'll probably need more than that for cards etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What's the best way to get in X Wing, learning wise? Just two cores? 1 core + 1-2 more small ships for each side?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The best way to learn is just 1 core set. Once you play a few times and decide "this is actually pretty fun, just wish we had more than 3 ships" That's when you get the extra core set (so you're not having to share so much) then start collecting from there. Most people will recommend you get at least Rebel and Imperial Aces since they each come with 2 ships. From there it's collecting whichever ships you like the most.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Bottom Liner posted:

What's the best way to get in X Wing, learning wise? Just two cores? 1 core + 1-2 more small ships for each side?

See also: Star Wars: X-Wing - No no, it's cool, it's just the General Lee. Hey, where are you g (not that this thread isn't a place to talk about X-Wing too).

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Armada is on mass drop, but I think I'm too indecisive to buy it. :smith:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

It's a hella fun game as long as you've got people who'll play it and enjoy fleet-style games. Very different from X-Wangs, but it's super fun. Honestly, I think I might prefer Armada between the two, but it's a close call.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

I'm in on that massdrop, dewwww it.

I mean...I have the wave 1 mass drop and don't even have the basic game so look at it this way - you'd be better off than me.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Yeah but is the extra manuever tool and dice worth it?

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I got an Armada core set for our club to try out and we had our first game today. Its really fun and I think I actually prefer it to x-wing. I didn't like how the fighter squadrons are so lazy looking with bare beige or grey plastic but I painted the ties anyway and will do the x-wings later. I don't thing I would have tried it before the price dropped and it really feels like I needed a second starter set but hopefully I can get some more players into it. No one wants to split a starter set thought because everyone wants the empire side.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Looks like Twin Shadows is now in the shipping now phase. How long does it usually take to get to retailers? Also have they talked about if the next mechanics, heroes and villains will integrate with the base game?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

My FLGS in Canada is getting it in on the 21st, so you shouldn't be waiting long.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Yeah but is the extra manuever tool and dice worth it?

Well the mass drop is as cheap as you find the base game anywhere so the dice and movement are just kind of tacked on for free.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
With Fantasy Flight products, a second set of dice is not exactly mandatory, but its always helpful. X-Wing technically works with 3 dice of each type...but you frequently need to reroll some in order to roll enough. I presume Armada is the same way.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Every time I play ImpAss I tell myself I want a second set of dice because it's annoying when my wife leaves the white defense die at the other end of the table.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

Every time I play ImpAss I tell myself I want a second set of dice because it's annoying when my wife leaves the white defense die at the other end of the table.

Huh, I was at a local game store today and was trying to find something cheap to buy to sate my conscience, because nothing on their shelves much appealed. I was considering an extra set of impass dice and thought "nah, I don't think I'll get any real use out of that"

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Campaign play in this game is weird. Watching people just blithely wander through a cloud of stormtroopers and slaughtering them by the dozen doesn't sell the feel of the films very well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I hope that was sarcastic.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The ImpAss theme problem isn't the heroes walking up to stormtrooper clouds and cutting them down, it's them walking past stormtrooper clouds and not doing anything about them while they open boxes or whatever.

Imagine a film scene featuring our heroes just face tanking blaster bolts and pretending the bad guys aren't there because they need to use the terminal before the end of turn 6.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Well yeah. The stormies in the films are terrible but the heroes act like they are dangerous. Here it's all "there's only one trooper shooting me in the face, I'll use a rest now."

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm not sure how a board game is suppose to invoke that. Maybe you should try video games or something?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
They're stormtroopers, they're gonna miss anyway

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm not sure how a board game is suppose to invoke that. Maybe you should try video games or something?

Gosh, really? Evoking the things star wars heroes do is absolutely something I would expect to see baked into the mechanics of a game about star wars heroes. and given all the board and skirmish games I've played your drat right I think they could pull off the kind of ebb and flow of a starwars fight in the mechanics.

It probably wouldn't be a reskin of descent though.

(Don't get me wrong, I don't think IA is a bad game, it's the best edition of descent yet, but beyond the art and writing, it doesn't have much starwars in it. Compared to like, X-wing, which is again derived from another game, but a reskin of a game that already was all about doing swooping dogfights of the kind that starwars does. It works. )

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 17, 2015

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Imperial Assault is a great Descent/Skrimish game that is tied down by its star wars theme.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I should try the skirmish side, but my group definately leans towards co-op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You're way too hung up on the idea that Stormtroopers should be an ominous scary threat and you're forgetting that an entire army of them got beaten by literal teddy bears.