Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think this thread's narrative would work better if we don't talk about 02 or the dub to neither TFRazorsaw nor Burkion.

Agreed. Let's take this in a Tamers direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Tamers was absolutely great. I've mentioned that I love how the evolutions physically play into the development of the children. I love how it starts out in the real world and makes the threats not something the children can ignore. I love how it initially starts a bit as childs play but becomes more serious as time goes on, I adored the cosmic horror nature of the D-Reaper, a being that really was just following its programming to its logical end once its parameters were expanded. And I've never mentioned it but I love the chaotic survival of the fittest style of the Digital World.

The Digital World has always been chaotic and strange but even then the world in Adventure felt very orderly in its chaos, nothing unexpected happened, it was simply a strange place. In Tamers? Nope. gently caress that, insane motorcycles that possess people, random streams of data that warp you all around, down is up, spatial existence is more of a suggestion than it is a rule. And then of course the kicker, Dead is Dead in Tamers, If (eventually proven with Leomon) a digimon dies, there is no egg they'll be reborn in to. Tamers digimon reproduction works very differently and that rockets up the tension.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Never liked Tamers a lot but I did love Savers.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 18, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
Didn't Beelzemon absorb Leomon, tho? But yeah, it was pretty brutal. I really enjoyed the data warp pipes, a constant threat in the background with that blue orb, always could show up to further fraction the group, just a really scary element that was only that, an element of the digital world, not good nor evil just how it was.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
You know,what is the deal with Leomon always dying?

Through all the franchise I think only V-tamer's Leo was spared

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It's a running gag.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The writing staffs of each series and manga turned it into a running morbid joke after Tamers.

Also, I think Leomon survives in that lovely X-Evolution CG movie that came out in the wilderness years between Frontier and Savers.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

nine-gear crow posted:

The writing staffs of each series and manga turned it into a running morbid joke after Tamers.

Also, I think Leomon survives in that lovely X-Evolution CG movie that came out in the wilderness years between Frontier and Savers.

Leomon is the first thing to die in that movie

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah. From what I heard, the writers wanted to kill off a partner to show how dangerous things had become and chose Leomon because he had already died before in Adventure. After that, Leomon (or something that at least looks like a noble lion warrior digimon) dying at least once a series became a running gag. It's just that this time was the most brutal and memorable since it had lasting consequences and, to my knowledge, is the only time one of the cast has had a partner stay dead.

I second the idea that they did the digital world right. None of the other series did much with it beyond making it kind of weird, but still recognizable. Here it's a series of discs stacked on top of each other where raw data tumbles around, day and night change without transition, the real world is constantly visible, and the laws of physics themselves are really just suggestions.

As for the D-Reaper, I loved that thing. It's an example of how to make an unbeatable enemy work in a story. I loved that it really was just a malfunctioning program instead of a cackling villain, and all the more terrifying for it. It's probably still the most dangerous thing out of any series yet.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
I have huge love for almost all the Digimon series, I even appreciate most of Frontier despite its glaring flaws and terrible Royal Knights arc, but I don't think there's quite anything that compares to when Beelzemon finally got the love he wanted from his tamers and then decided to save Juri, only to ultimately fail exactly when he managed to succeed.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Didn't Beelzemon absorb Leomon, tho? But yeah, it was pretty brutal. I really enjoyed the data warp pipes, a constant threat in the background with that blue orb, always could show up to further fraction the group, just a really scary element that was only that, an element of the digital world, not good nor evil just how it was.

While he did, digimon don't return as eggs period in Tamers. There is no reviving, if you die, you are absorbed or your data scatters to the wind until the Digi-Gnomes do something with it.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I have huge love for almost all the Digimon series, I even appreciate most of Frontier despite its glaring flaws and terrible Royal Knights arc, but I don't think there's quite anything that compares to when Beelzemon finally got the love he wanted from his tamers and then decided to save Juri, only to ultimately fail exactly when he managed to succeed.

It's so tragic, he's so desparate to make up for the wrongs he's commited, and he finally breaks through using the technique of her partner... which just further snaps her mind and he goes down.

I still like that, ultimately it is Jenrya who defeats the D-Reaper, Takato may have saved Juri but that wasn't what actually took it down.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think this thread's narrative would work better if we don't talk about 02 or the dub to neither TFRazorsaw nor Burkion.

All I did was post some news and respond to the responses about it. But whatever, if you need a scapegoat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Leomon is the first thing to die in that movie

Oh right, it's Wizardmon who survives the movie. Shows you how much I actually remember about it :v:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So was there any reason Ogremon never came back in season 2?

Really hoping he isn't killed in Tri

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Burkion posted:

He was probably busy raising his Elecmon buddy so they can fight to the death again.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I'm 14 episodes into Tamers because of this thread. The thing that strikes me the most is that they have such trouble getting out of Champion form. Of course that would be a big deal if you were actively trying to hide your digital murder dinosaur or teddy bear with machine gun arms.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Inkspot posted:

I'm 14 episodes into Tamers because of this thread. The thing that strikes me the most is that they have such trouble getting out of Champion form. Of course that would be a big deal if you were actively trying to hide your digital murder dinosaur or teddy bear with machine gun arms.

I still love their ingenious way to get Guilmon around town. "Just... don't call attention to it. People are good at justifying weird poo poo to themselves, their thought will NOT go to giant digital dinosaur."

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Onmi posted:

I still love their ingenious way to get Guilmon around town. "Just... don't call attention to it. People are good at justifying weird poo poo to themselves, their thought will NOT go to giant digital dinosaur."

The sheer audacity of two kids walking around with a big red lizard and a talking cream-green rabbit toy actually working was one of the best bits of less obvious humor in the show. It makes you wonder why Renamon even bothered with her disappearing act when the others were so blatant with no consequences.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBIkE5TyRSQ

New -next 0rder- trailer.

Reveals Shoutmon and Gumdramon in the playable roster.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

He was probably just busy. I mean, Leomon might've just hit Adult level by that point, if he even got that far, and Ogremon's one reason to live is to fight Leomon. And, surprisingly enough, he's well-written to the point that it is charming instead of idiotically shonen. He wants to fight his rival, and if he wins...well, then they just go on!

If anything, I find it rather amazing how Ogremon comes across as a one-note villain in the Devimon arc, then he reappears and hasn't changed at all, yet he becomes infinitely more likable because we get to hear his side of the tale. From Leomon, it just seemed like Ogremon was evil and obsessed with killing him...but nope, by all means he respected and cared for Leomon as his greatest rival. Even if he was still evil and obsessed, it was a more...honourable thing, I guess? And how he really, really tried to not show how there was a heart inside that green skin was the most adorable thing.

I doubt Ogremon's coming back to get killed in Tri. He's likely infected like the Kuwagamon were, if he will fight the Children. And even there I'm not too sure of that happening, considering he's far behind the power curve, and the main threat in Determination seems to be Imperialdramon. If anything, him appearing before Mimi and Joe (who were the ones to get closest to Ogremon in Adventure) is blatantly not a coincidence, and will likely be used to further their character arcs rather than just as a throwaway villain.

Moriatti posted:

Speaking of 02, I'm encountering a lot of those guys in Digimon Digital Card Battle.

Which is the tits, what a rad game.

I try not to say good things about Digimon games because they're mostly terrible. Digital Card Battle is my one exception, it's a really, really good game and I love it so much. I wish Digimon had more games like that, instead of horribly grindy RPGs.

And talking about videogames, that trailer for Next Order looked great! I have to wonder if the guy with Mugendramon really is the original World protagonist, if so, that's a really cool connection (and even if not, the design and having the final boss of that game is a great way to appeal to nostalgia). Adding both Hybrids and No Level XW things is...interesting, I have to wonder how those will work.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 19, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blaze Dragon posted:

He was probably just busy. I mean, Leomon might've just hit Adult level by that point, if he even got that far, and Ogremon's one reason to live is to fight Leomon. And, surprisingly enough, he's well-written to the point that it is charming instead of idiotically shonen. He wants to fight his rival, and if he wins...well, then they just go on!

If anything, I find it rather amazing how Ogremon comes across as a one-note villain in the Devimon arc, then he reappears and hasn't changed at all, yet he becomes infinitely more likable because we get to hear his side of the tale. From Leomon, it just seemed like Ogremon was evil and obsessed with killing him...but nope, by all means he respected and cared for Leomon as his greatest rival. Even if he was still evil and obsessed, it was a more...honourable thing, I guess? And how he really, really tried to not show how there was a heart inside that green skin was the most adorable thing.

I doubt Ogremon's coming back to get killed in Tri. He's likely infected like the Kuwagamon were, if he will fight the Children. And even there I'm not too sure of that happening, considering he's far behind the power curve, and the main threat in Determination seems to be Imperialdramon. If anything, him appearing before Mimi and Joe (who were the ones to get closest to Ogremon in Adventure) is blatantly not a coincidence, and will likely be used to further their character arcs rather than just as a throwaway villain.

I try not to say good things about Digimon games because they're mostly terrible. Digital Card Battle is my one exception, it's a really, really good game and I love it so much. I wish Digimon had more games like that, instead of horribly grindy RPGs.

And talking about videogames, that trailer for Next Order looked great! I have to wonder if the guy with Mugendramon really is the original World protagonist, if so, that's a really cool connection (and even if not, the design and having the final boss of that game is a great way to appeal to nostalgia). Adding both Hybrids and No Level XW things is...interesting, I have to wonder how those will work.

Both of those will probably be given levels, the Hybrids will probably be split like so; H-Spirits=Adult, B-Spirits=Perfect, Fusion Spirits=Ultimate, while Shoutmon and GumDramon will just be Child stage

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the supposedly grown up "Analog Boy" is apparently trying to do the same thing Analog Man did in a postgame quest in the original, where he turns various digimon into Mugendramon copies.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TFRazorsaw posted:

All I did was post some news and respond to the responses about it. But whatever, if you need a scapegoat.

How does that change anything.

I mean the only way thi makes sense is if someone is forcing you to post.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 19, 2015

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't know? I'm not seeing what's objectionable about anything I've said.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well duh

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So anyway.

How about that trailer, huh?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Honestly, I am surprised because the actual card game was trash garbage.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
YouTube combined with this thread in the past 24 hours to convince me to watch Tamers. Might as well put this Hulu subscription I keep forgetting about to use.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I decided I was gonna like Tamers early on becuase the kids had contributions to make in fights besides cheerleading, which is something that always kinda bothered me in the first two seasons.

Then it turned out most of the cast was pretty cool and had their own neat plot arcs to follow and the adults are doing things and the antagonists had more motivation for their actions besides DARKNESS and it became my favourite.

Then frontier happened and I dropped outta digimon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caidin posted:

Undrop from it. Frontier was absolute poo poo but Savers was great, Xros Wars was acceptable fun (as long as you never watch the third part), and the first movie of Tri was awesome.

None of them quite hit Tamers' level of amazing, though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Caidin posted:

I decided I was gonna like Tamers early on becuase the kids had contributions to make in fights besides cheerleading, which is something that always kinda bothered me in the first two seasons.

Then it turned out most of the cast was pretty cool and had their own neat plot arcs to follow and the adults are doing things and the antagonists had more motivation for their actions besides DARKNESS and it became my favourite.

Tamers found just the right ways to keep the kids relevant in the fights escalating from modify cards all the way to biomerging. Frontier learned the exact wrong lesson and skipped a to the kids becoming digimon on their own.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I bought the D-Arts Wargreymon. Is fantastic :allears:

But now I want a MetalGarurumon and a Omegamon to complete the set :v:

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Geostomp posted:

Tamers found just the right ways to keep the kids relevant in the fights escalating from modify cards all the way to biomerging. Frontier learned the exact wrong lesson and skipped a to the kids becoming digimon on their own.

The kids becoming digimon wasn't why Frontier wasn't good.

Probably contributed to why it wasn't popular, granted.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Classy Hydra posted:

Doesn't help that most kids, at least I, did not know it was still ON after Tamers and the channel hop.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Classy Hydra posted:

Proof of this: Savers uses the concept in far more interesting, if disturbing, ways.

I'd love to see Frontier by good writers someday. It had very interesting concepts that were completely wasted in the incredibly slow pace, several episodes of nothing happening, completely pointless cast and massive Takuya/Koji shilling that was the entirety of Frontier.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Something interesting from the special episode of Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. I thought I'd post it here since it's not clear whether that particular DLC is coming out in the US or not. It relates to the nature of the Seven Great Demon Lords:

- The Seven Great Demon Lords exist at the height of the digital world's "hiearchy of evil", and because they are literally born from the Dark Area, they are not subject to the normal laws of the Digital World.
- All of the various incarnations of the SDGL are connected across different universes, and if you destroy one, that power seeks out the closest analogue in another universe and the original's power is added to second's.
- Destroying one of the Seven Great Demon Lords causes the universe to force you to pay a toll for it; in this case, Sayo, the protagonist of Sunburst and Moonlight and makes an appearance in the special chapter, destroys her universe's SDGL, which causes her partner, Dianamon, to fade from existence as repayment.
- Taiga and Rina, from Re:Digitize Decode, have the power to absorb the powers of the Demon Lords, keeping their power from spreading to other worlds, as in the case of the first point, and as such, Rina travels to the Cyber Sleuth to help stop the Demon Lords there once and for all. This is similar to how in Digimon Savers: Another Mission defeating a Demon Lord gave you the power to evolve one of the Savers' characters partners into them. Rina fought an incarnation of the SDGL in her world (the subject of Decode's extra chapters) and as a cost, her partner, V.V., an UlforceV-dramon, lost his power and devolved.
- In addition to all of this, a Demon Lord can never be fully destroyed unless it's by ANOTHER Demon Lord, and will inevitably one day revive.

An interesting note; in the mobile game, Digimon Collectors, if all of the SDGL cease to exist in the world simultaneously, Ogudomon appears, and will wreak havoc until the balance between good and evil is restored.

This probably doesn't reflect back on the various anime, except maybe Savers cuz that's the one anime where the SDGL actually EXIST as a group, but it's an interesting insight into Bandai's vision for them and their place in the overall background canon of Digimon.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TFRazorsaw posted:

Something interesting from the special episode of Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. I thought I'd post it here since it's not clear whether that particular DLC is coming out in the US or not. It relates to the nature of the Seven Great Demon Lords:

- The Seven Great Demon Lords exist at the height of the digital world's "hiearchy of evil", and because they are literally born from the Dark Area, they are not subject to the normal laws of the Digital World.
- All of the various incarnations of the SDGL are connected across different universes, and if you destroy one, that power seeks out the closest analogue in another universe and the original's power is added to second's.
- Destroying one of the Seven Great Demon Lords causes the universe to force you to pay a toll for it; in this case, Sayo, the protagonist of Sunburst and Moonlight and makes an appearance in the special chapter, destroys her universe's SDGL, which causes her partner, Dianamon, to fade from existence as repayment.
- Taiga and Rina, from Re:Digitize Decode, have the power to absorb the powers of the Demon Lords, keeping their power from spreading to other worlds, as in the case of the first point, and as such, Rina travels to the Cyber Sleuth to help stop the Demon Lords there once and for all. This is similar to how in Digimon Savers: Another Mission defeating a Demon Lord gave you the power to evolve one of the Savers' characters partners into them. Rina fought an incarnation of the SDGL in her world (the subject of Decode's extra chapters) and as a cost, her partner, V.V., an UlforceV-dramon, lost his power and devolved.
- In addition to all of this, a Demon Lord can never be fully destroyed unless it's by ANOTHER Demon Lord, and will inevitably one day revive.

An interesting note; in the mobile game, Digimon Collectors, if all of the SDGL cease to exist in the world simultaneously, Ogudomon appears, and will wreak havoc until the balance between good and evil is restored.

This probably doesn't reflect back on the various anime, except maybe Savers cuz that's the one anime where the SDGL actually EXIST as a group, but it's an interesting insight into Bandai's vision for them and their place in the overall background canon of Digimon.

Holy poo poo :suspense:

That's a pretty neat lore they built for the Demon Lords. I take they're the only group with a lore as detailed like that?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's more or less a combination of details from overall role in Re:Digitize Decode and Cyber Sleuth and a single mobile game. But the Royal Knights and Olympus Twelve are similarly built up.

Digimon Crusader even revealed the Olympus Twelve of the "Bandai canon" have their own digital world set apart from the one we've always known called "Illias", and that it's overseen by a different host computer from Yggdrasil named "Homeros".

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TFRazorsaw posted:

it's more or less a combination of details from overall role in Re:Digitize Decode and Cyber Sleuth and a single mobile game. But the Royal Knights and Olympus Twelve are similarly built up.

Digimon Crusader even revealed the Olympus Twelve of the "Bandai canon" have their own digital world set apart from the one we've always known called "Illias", and that it's overseen by a different host computer from Yggdrasil named "Homeros".

I've heard of that. It was pretty amazing when they introduced Titanmon in the lore. I'd love to see another story like X-Evolution, focused entirely on the Digimon's "Society"

Honestly, all the insane lore Bandai has come with is the main reason I love digimon so much :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
I would honestly rank Digimon up with Type-Moon on the scale of ridiculously in-depth background information that seems to affect little to nothing in the main series.

The fact that Digimon has a wide variety of completely distinct canons that are nevertheless somehow linked through poorly-defined dimensional mechanics only makes it better, really.