Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I really liked the last couple Aphra arcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Breadallelogram posted:

Same. I’m really looking forward to her new book.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

It looks like that because it’s literally what he is doing

i thought i was exaggerating a tad for effect until i saw that article dawgstar posted, lol that is quite literally what hes doing yikes

Breadallelogram posted:

coming from ros, her not-really-redemption felt like such a better way for someone awful like her to experience some meaningful growth

site fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 27, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My only extremely minor complaint is I really like Boop with Trip and BT but at the same time that's kind of well-trodden ground at this point. Aphra's Defiant Ones riff with 000 was :discourse: though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I can't believe people at the office took a look at this and said "yes, good"

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Anyone read Empire Ascendant #1 yet? I used to wait for Aphra to hit Marvel Unlimited but lost my patience and bought the rest of the run, now I want more. Is it good?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Woebin posted:

Anyone read Empire Ascendant #1 yet? I used to wait for Aphra to hit Marvel Unlimited but lost my patience and bought the rest of the run, now I want more. Is it good?

It's uneven. It's just a bunch of short stories tying up the last books and relaunching the next. It's *probably* not terribly essential, but the Aphra story is quite good. It did a good job of warding me off the Bounty Hunters book.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Vader and Aphra stories were real good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Vader and Aphra stories were real good.

Agreed. I was digging the main Star Wars story until the twist. Then it was just fine.

Didn't really have anything for the bounty hunter. I know he's been a thing in the comics before, but I'd have preferred somebody else as my lead.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I didn’t care much for Vader’s relation with the inquisitors but him getting his own death trooper squad that are also as ruthless as himself and have gone similar near-death recovery with cyber enhancements? Hell yeah, should be real good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo, the new Star Wars #1 has a really good parallel back to the first volume, with Luke cracking a viewport by lashing out with the force

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, I was really impressed with the new first issue.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I can't be the only one who thinks the unmasked Ren from Rise of Kylo Ren 2 looks a whole lot like Jeffrey Epstein with longer hair?

Interesting also we finally got Ben's opinion on being named after Obi-Wan Kenobi. As well as his take on Solo being a made -up name. I really hated that "revelation" from the Solo movie, and still do, but I think making it part of Ben's decision to try to abandon his past works.

Also no wonder why Hux hates Kylo Ren so much, he was already set up with Snoke and this weird emo guy shows up. Friendship with Brendol ended, Kylo is my best friend now.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Hey could you maybe not post untagged spoilers for stuff that just dropped? I read most of this stuff on Unlimited six months after release.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Subforum rules are that spoilers aren't required in discussion threads once a comic drops. It's not really realistic to use spoiler tags for six months

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I just figured it's good form, but my bad. I should probably bow out of this thread then.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Im rereading the old Dark Horse "Tales of the Jedi" books and folks, they're good. I hope whatever future star wars movies exist take some inspiration from the strange rear end poo poo in these comics.

the art womps too

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

master, no!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

10 Star Wars comic issues made the top-100 best-selling comics issues of the decade: https://www.previewsworld.com/Article/238869-Exclusive-The-2010s-Top-100-Best-Selling-Comics

1 STAR WARS #1
10 STAR WARS VADER DOWN #1
23 DARTH VADER #1
37 PRINCESS LEIA #1
58 JOURNEY STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS: SHATTERED EMPIRE #1
59 STAR WARS #2
61 STAR WARS #4
72 STAR WARS LANDO #1
94 STAR WARS #3
100 STAR WARS POE DAMERON #1

However, Star Wars did a lot worse in the top 100 best-selling trades: https://www.previewsworld.com/Article/238870-Exclusive-The-2010s-Top-100-Best-Selling-Graphic-Novels

62 STAR WARS DARTH VADER VOL 01
70 STAR WARS VOL 01 SKYWALKER STRIKES

I'm actually fairly surprised at comparatively how much better Star Wars comics have done as issues vs. trades (also just how heavily the top trades of the decade have been The Walking Dead... drat).

On the other hand not surprised but still a bit disappointed that none of Dark Horse's Star Wars comics made either list.

Also a bit interesting that of those 10 issues, all of them came out in the 2015 run-up to TFA, save Poe Dameron which came out a few months later in early 2016. The combination of nostalgia and Disney promotion is pretty powerful stuff.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcWfrfz2fY

Help me BSS, you're my only hope

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeaah im gonna pass on anything called a dead sexually fluid comedy forum

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
yeah, not a great way to lead into it Cyrano

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/CharlesSoule/status/1220511811541327872

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dash Rendar ended up loving a humanoid robot. Hence he's not Han Solo, he's Rick Deckard.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Chairman Capone posted:

Dash Rendar ended up loving a humanoid robot. Hence he's not Han Solo, he's Lando.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dash Rendar is cool and good, gently caress the haters.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dash Rendar got his name when he applied for a job as cook and the hiring officer decided he was going to render fat. And then spelled it wrong.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
but wut aboot kyle katarn he stole the death star plans

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Who hasn't?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Every Star Wars her I steals the Death Star plans at some point, just like every Marvel super hero punches Hitler at some point.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
So we're all agreed that the character at the end of the new Vader #1 is Sabé right?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

OhFunny posted:

So we're all agreed that the character at the end of the new Vader #1 is Sabé right?

Yes. It's been funny seeing folks knee-jerking with rage while completely forgetting Padme's many, many body doubles

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A body double would be dumb as hell storytelling given that the entire point in the movies was they were covered in makeup and lots of clothing and potential assassins or whatever might not know *exactly* what she looks like. The woman at the end of the issue wasn't caked in makeup and cloaked in a robe. Her husband wouldn't be fooled by someone who looks similar but not the same, unless Anakin Skywalker suffers from face blindness and it's just never been mentioned before.

(None of which is to say it's actually Padme, just saying that specific plot device would be horrible storytelling and Pak is better than that.)

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Endless Mike posted:

A body double would be dumb as hell storytelling given that the entire point in the movies was they were covered in makeup and lots of clothing and potential assassins or whatever might not know *exactly* what she looks like.

I don't know man, Keira Knightley and Natalie Portman look way more similar than any of the other handmaiden actresses. Even today as a grown woman, Knightley still could pass for a still living Padme who had aged another 23 years.

Also amusingly, Sabé was said to have married a TPM character named Tonra played by Richard Armitage. The Mandalorian/Cassian Andor series appearances when?

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 13, 2020

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Maybe Vader just can't see very well out of his helmet. He mistakes random women for Padme, like, every other day.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Uh clearly she not a body double, but a clone.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jerkface posted:

Im rereading the old Dark Horse "Tales of the Jedi" books and folks, they're good. I hope whatever future star wars movies exist take some inspiration from the strange rear end poo poo in these comics.

the art womps too

I fuckin' loved these comics as a kid. So much awesome poo poo, and I liked the sort of unspoken idea of a force ghost being like what we see in the movies, but there also being Sith ghosts but they're more like a poltergeist where they're super super powerful and strong in a particular location like where they died but are bound there. So like if you went to where one was killed it could pretty easily make you choose between giving into the the dark side and working with them or death. But they could never just pop up wherever or speak to whoever anywhere like we see Obi-Wan/etc. do. I liked how the Sith had like gauntlet kind of weapons and stuff too. Those comics had a lot of cool poo poo.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2020/02/idws-star-wars-adventures-will-tell-the-first-story-set-after-the-rise-of-skywalker.html

Surprised and delighted that Disney are actually pushing on ahead into the post TRoS time period. Really thought they would just spend their time back filling in between TLJ and TRoS.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Hopefully they can start to tell totally original stories now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That's pretty cool. I was actually thinking about how, after Rise of Kylo Ren ends and the TROS art book comes out, there's not really a lot I'm looking forward to. But I will definitely check out the first issue of this, at least. I know a lot of people don't like the IDW comics but I think some of their one-shot stories have been pretty fun.