Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

GrizzlyCow posted:

Wow, this whole section of the game is worse written than I remembered. I guess none of the writers or editors could be bothered to smooth over some of the nonsense.

The normal writers were on vacation so they called in the Final Fantasy 8 team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Really it feels more like they filled in the story from the start. And at some point they started filling it in from the end.
And then they had to both meet the middle somehow, which basically says "Macalania, Bikanel, Bevelle?" and smashed it together.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

bewilderment posted:

Really it feels more like they filled in the story from the start. And at some point they started filling it in from the end.
And then they had to both meet the middle somehow, which basically says "Macalania, Bikanel, Bevelle?" and smashed it together.

You know you're right. It's like fleshing it out so it didn't happen immediately would 'ruin the drama' or not work, but compressed whenever you think about it for too long it's all just extremely stupid. Where as even if you didn't like events before/after you're never not sure of what's going on.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
For being really big both in terms of being a place and in the background of the world Bevelle is pretty underutilized. Then again it's probably way more boring than Luca.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Bufuman posted:

Also, did the part where the audience started clapping after the kiss seem really stupid to anyone else? Like, forget the fact that one of the four highest-ranked members of our church is an evil zombie and a bunch of dudes just stormed the place with swords and sports balls and poo poo and killed a bunch of dudes and bots, let's all celebrate the obvious sham of a wedding and clap like Seymour just made a 30-foot putt for eagle.
I don't know man, most of the weddings I've been to would have had me clapping as well if a bunch of freaks had crashed the ceiling and proceeded to do battle with the wedding couple :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's a good thing they decided to shoot Tidus first. I'm pretty sure Auron would no sell the bullet and those puppies probably have atleast a 10 second reload on them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's a good thing they decided to shoot Tidus first. I'm pretty sure Auron would no sell the bullet and those puppies probably have atleast a 10 second reload on them.

Nope they're rapid fire. Tech got pretty far before Sin skull hosed it.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I think this sequence was a victim of the whole "make the FMVs first and then try and work the game around them" thing

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Cg cutscene power is different than in-game cutscene power, folks.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So I found this thread and got caught up at a beautiful time.

Just the right time to watch this game create such a drastic dissonance between cutscenes and literally everything else that it destroyed my ability to see straight.

These people fought a goddamn tank why are small arms scary at all to them :psyduck:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I think early on they had this idea that their ~beautiful and true~ love story between Tidus and Yuna should have a bit where she almost marries the villain but then DRAMATICALLY the heroes come in and she doesn't. So they got all this art and CG produced and ONLY then in later development had to actually write how and why it happens.

Team Tidus has to stop the wedding and save Yuna! ...Because they got a vision of it happening on an airship, I guess.
The villains got Yuna! ...By taking her from the desert when the team was conveniently separated by spacewhale magic or something?
Yuna is marrying the villain! ...Because uh...uh...She wants to get close to him to sort of kill him.
The villain wants to marry Yuna! ...Because uh...he really likes girls with heterochromia, I guess? Could we not make it a prophecy or something a bit more substanti- No, you're right, let's just ship it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Seymour's obsession with Yuna is explained, I think. Some of it is later stuff but for right now, consider they are both hybrids. Al Bhed look more human than Guado but the fact remains Seymour and Yuna both come from very controversial unions with persecuted minorities. Yuna got off lucky and didn't face any real discrimination but maybe Seymour still feels some kinship with her in his own, twisted way.

I forget if TDI looked at it but there is some little, optional backstory you can get on Seymour's life in Macalania Temple.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

So.... Seymour's into intense chest tattoos, huh? Is he a yakuza or something?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Elfface posted:

So.... Seymour's into intense chest tattoos, huh? Is he a yakuza or something?

I don't remember a scene of him dramatically throwing his shirt off and engaging in fisticuffs on a high rise building.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Onmi posted:

I don't remember a scene of him dramatically throwing his shirt off and engaging in fisticuffs on a high rise building.
That would make this game ten times better and you all know it.

I still can't figure out if he's fat or not. He seems to have abs...?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I think it's just the way the robes bunch that make him look like he has a paunch.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Between the hat and the constant smiling, Seymour looks really hard to take seriously in this sequence.

E: Wait no, I know what it is. His giant collar makes his head look tiny.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 12, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlphaKretin posted:

Between the hat and the constant smiling, Seymour looks really hard to take seriously in this sequence.

By the look of it, the only thing keeping his over-gelled ponytails back is that little black cloth holding the tips of them together. I can't help but think that the moment an attendant removes it for him, both ponytails will just flick forward at high speed and take some poor bishop's eye out.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

VagueRant posted:

That would make this game ten times better and you all know it.

I still can't figure out if he's fat or not. He seems to have abs...?

To be fair dramatic shirtless fist fights would make many games much better.

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral
I really liked this entire sequence when this game first came out. That includes the boss fight before the actual wedding crash.

Also:

quote:

The bridge and groom just stare awkwardly and suck lips and that's it? Sheesh.

I'm guessing this is supposed to be "bride and groom."

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Burger Flipper posted:

Also:

I'm guessing this is supposed to be "bride and groom."

With Yuna gone, Seymour is going to marry SOMEthing, damnit.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

NikkolasKing posted:

Seymour's obsession with Yuna is explained, I think. Some of it is later stuff but for right now, consider they are both hybrids. Al Bhed look more human than Guado but the fact remains Seymour and Yuna both come from very controversial unions with persecuted minorities. Yuna got off lucky and didn't face any real discrimination but maybe Seymour still feels some kinship with her in his own, twisted way.

Maybe that's what he meant about her eyes back in Macalania. Still, if that's what they were going for, they could've been less subtle about it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh absolutely. A lot of things about Seymour's character could have been made more clear in this game. There is some rather important clarification in the FFX Ultimania about his background but that be spoilerish.

I do actually kind of like him as a villain but he's far, far from perfect.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I think Seymour is at least unique in the Final Fantasy franchise in that his entire air of menace centers around his creepy sex-offender vibe.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Schwartzcough posted:

I think Seymour is at least unique in the Final Fantasy franchise in that his entire air of menace centers around his creepy sex-offender vibe.

Tactics did it first with that Baron who was pretty heavily implied to have actually gone through with that vibe.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

NikkolasKing posted:

I forget if TDI looked at it but there is some little, optional backstory you can get on Seymour's life in Macalania Temple.

Nah, I skipped it since the only time you can see it there is if you decide to wander into some side room in the middle of the whole "Oh poo poo Seymour was evil better go get Yuna!" bit. It kind of kills pacing to have an exposition vomit from some random NPC in the middle of that. Of course then the game kills pacing itself not long after that so... :v:

Edit:

"Both Guado and human blood flow through Maester Seymour's veins. This mixed heritage caused him a deal of grief in his childhood. But because of that very experience...he grew to become a great leader who aspired to bring Guado and humans together in friendship. Lord Braska vanquished Sin when Lord Seymour was about your age. During the celebration of the Calm's arrival, Maester Mika ordained Lord Jyscal a maester of Yevon. He praised Lord Jyscal's achievements, including the conversion of the Guado to the teachings of Yevon. Maester Seymour was still a young lad then, but he tried hard to assist Lord Jyscal. As a monk, Maester Seymour soon distinguished himself. His accomplishments were many and acclaimed by all. He shot up through the ranks quickly, he did. Aye, he rose on his own, never riding Lord Jyscal's coattails. He's truly a remarkable young man. As a summoner, Maester Seymour's strength is matchless. Yet, he became a maester of Yevon instead of undertaking the pilgrimage to battle Sin. I think he believes that there's more to a summoner's duty than just destroying Sin."

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 12, 2015

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Updated the OP with all the fanart I saved from the old thread and anything I scrounged from this one. Tell me if I missed anything.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

"Both Guado and human blood flow through Maester Seymour's veins. This mixed heritage caused him a deal of grief in his childhood. But because of that very experience...he grew to become a great leader who aspired to bring Guado and humans together in friendship. Lord Braska vanquished Sin when Lord Seymour was about your age. During the celebration of the Calm's arrival, Maester Mika ordained Lord Jyscal a maester of Yevon. He praised Lord Jyscal's achievements, including the conversion of the Guado to the teachings of Yevon. Maester Seymour was still a young lad then, but he tried hard to assist Lord Jyscal. As a monk, Maester Seymour soon distinguished himself. His accomplishments were many and acclaimed by all. He shot up through the ranks quickly, he did. Aye, he rose on his own, never riding Lord Jyscal's coattails. He's truly a remarkable young man. As a summoner, Maester Seymour's strength is matchless. Yet, he became a maester of Yevon instead of undertaking the pilgrimage to battle Sin. I think he believes that there's more to a summoner's duty than just destroying Sin."

This seems like the kind of thing that should've been brought up in Guadosalam or Mushroom Rock.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
About Seymour's reasons for the marriage: (SPOILERS FOR STUFF STILL TO GO) Given his stated goals later on, unless I'm misremembering, surely none of this guado/human relations stuff should actually matter to him?

Anyway, did I miss it or did no one call out that Life Is Strange reference last update? Kinda curious what TDI thought of the game. (I assume he made the right choice)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

VagueRant posted:

About Seymour's reasons for the marriage: (SPOILERS FOR STUFF STILL TO GO) Given his stated goals later on, unless I'm misremembering, surely none of this guado/human relations stuff should actually matter to him?

Anyway, did I miss it or did no one call out that Life Is Strange reference last update? Kinda curious what TDI thought of the game. (I assume he made the right choice)

Well, he can't get what he wants without being a Guardian for another Summoner.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've got a theory about why Seymour wants to marry Yuna but it'll have to wait because spoilers.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Schwartzcough posted:

With that hair and that outfit, it's hard to take him seriously as a villain in any other context. Even his shrieking hellbeast of a summon and undead status can't fully shake off the goofiness.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's mostly his voice. If it wasn't so high-pitch, he would be more threatening.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Tae posted:

It's mostly his voice. If it wasn't so high-pitch, he would be more threatening.

And yet, if he had a lower pitch in his voice, he wouldn't come across as quite so creepy, which is honestly where his villain cred comes from. After you've had a goddamn clown as your main villain in a game, some bishie looking freak with a bunch of hair, vague goals, and a deep voice isn't gonna be much of a--juuuuuust gonna stop myself right there before I set off something I shouldn't.

...Golbez best villain forever. >_>

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Tae posted:

I'm trying to imagine Jamieson Price's voice coming out of that face.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Derek Barona posted:

And yet, if he had a lower pitch in his voice, he wouldn't come across as quite so creepy, which is honestly where his villain cred comes from. After you've had a goddamn clown as your main villain in a game, some bishie looking freak with a bunch of hair, vague goals, and a deep voice isn't gonna be much of a--juuuuuust gonna stop myself right there before I set off something I shouldn't.

It would work better if he was (even) more audibly slimy.
A slight nasal, airy twinge, and a bit of stilted diction.

Though we all now the real villain is a voiceless space whale dad.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

The only thing I hated about Golbez is his last minute change from villain to victim.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.

The Dark Id posted:

Updated the OP with all the fanart I saved from the old thread and anything I scrounged from this one. Tell me if I missed anything.

I got two for you. The first of which is dubious counting, is this post:

bluerocker posted:

"We have such sights to show you!."

and this:

bluerocker posted:

I've been meaning to post this, but then the thread got locked.
Have a gangsta Kimahri on everyone's favorite chocobo.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

My personal fave FF antagonist is Lilith from one of FF11's expansions. She was awesome. Problem with citing her as an example though, is that due to the whole MMO thing, the example is largely met with blank stares.

... Someone should probably LP FF11 now that it's gotten its last hurrah of story content, come to think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Not sure of the source, but someone slapped Seymour's head on The Master's handy cloak from Manos: The Hands of Fate.

• Locked thread