Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Always kill every hell/unique pan lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gammafunk
Dec 19, 2015
What happens if you don't? Do they steal runes from you or something.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

gammafunk posted:

They steal my pride.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
They kick his dog on the way out too.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

gammafunk posted:

You have to live with the knowledge that you let the scum live.

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

Swamp worms are now amphibious

For too long they have been restricted to the murky waters of the swamp; now they have finally risen to claim what is rightfully theirs. Land dwellers BEWARE!

Joking aside, good change. Swamp worms aren't exactly the most dangerous stuff you come across in the Swamp, except maybe for squishy casters - and even then you could utilize the ingeniuous and subtle tactic of "step the gently caress away from the water".

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I tend to play casters far more aggressively, in that I go all magic all the time and blast everything with the biggest nuke asap. As such I think ice elementalists are lame and that fire/air elementalists are rad. Train spell casting and focus train conj/elemental all game until you get firestorm/chain lightning and win! Seriously, in my last game I got chain lightning up at level 15 as a demonspawn and it makes you a god. If you're swinging a giant nuke around at that stage you murder EVERYTHING.

Protips for being a pure blaster:
#1 Weapon skill is for suckers. Carry a branded dagger/whip/spear etc if you find something nice (generally elec>venom>draining), but it's good enough for what you need without any skill, and shortblades won't help you cast freezing cloud any quicker.
#2 Don't get hung up on "caster races" and only pick elves. Anything with -1 apt or better in the relevant skills and okay int can be a good blaster. Demonspawn, Octopodes, Gargoyles etc can all do well as casters, and can be easier than a deep elf. A special shoutout to Naga, who are really great casters with their poison spit in early game and high hp & ac later on.
#3 Armour is for chumps. Obviously you want as much AC as possible, but anything heavier than troll leather in the early game is right out. Maybe ringmail if you find one with amazing enchants, but losing your spell power for a little more ac is missing the point.
#4 Vehumet is obviously the patron deity of suicidal blasters. Spell selection in the mid game is probably the trickiest part of being a caster, but experience (and asking for advice with your specific situations) is your best friend there.
#5 If you are a coward you should devote some xp to fighting and/or dodging around lair, not much, but enough to give you a slight boost. It depends on your race apts & bonuses but around level 9-12 is a good amount.
#6 Most of the caster backgrounds are good, so pick ones that you feel comfortable with. I would personally warn against poison/ice though. Disclaimer: Ice is a decent background if you're not a pure blaster, but if you are the book is pretty limited and it has poor future growth as well. Imo Fire has the best starter book and Air school has the best mid/late game growth, but pick what you like.

They should bring back swamp worms getting a damage bonus if you are in water, except not because getting bitten for 100+ damage sucked.

Really though, this is kinda a boring change. Now swamp worms are like a more common but slower alligator I guess? The yak of swamp. Swamp really should have the giant tentacle monster that drags you into the brackish waters, they got robbed by shoals & abyss.

E: I missed this

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Interesting, I hate AE with a passion (and I've won 3-4 of them, because I want to like them and love high level air magic) and I'm not a big fan of shock. Better to be able to kill single enemies reliably without fussing around with bouncing the bolt. I think the real problem with AE, though, is lightning bolt.

I'd have to choose freeze as my favorite level one spell. It's single school and can take you through most of the early game by itself with careful use.
Shock has long range, penetrates, has decent damage, and can hit a target twice giving it great single target damage. It's amazing. You can fry an entire corridor of orcs or gnolls easily with a handful of casts. AE start has problems, but it's more to do with that awful period before you find the good mid game air spells and only have static (ehh) and lightning (strong, but awkward & loud) for spell upgrades. You pick air magic for the amazing spells in the level 6+ range though, so if you get over the hump everything is great.

Freeze is pretty good, but melee range is a big turn off. Magic dart is also pretty good, but single target and low damage makes it drop off a lot more.

Darox fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 21, 2015

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Darox posted:

#2 Don't get hung up on "caster races" and only pick elves. Anything with -1 apt or better in the relevant skills and okay int can be a good blaster. Demonspawn, Octopodes, Gargoyles etc can all do well as casters, and can be easier than a deep elf. A special shoutout to Naga, who are really great casters with their poison spit in early game and high hp & ac later on.
Tengu. Always Tengu. +3 Conjuration Apt and flight giving a .1 speed and 20% extra evasion boost makes them my favorite blaster caster. Also Conjurer is unsurprisingly my favorite Conjurer start. Why worry about something resisting your spells.

Everything else I completely agree with though. If you ain't got Conj/choosen element up to 16 or so by the end of Lair ya' doing it wrong.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Deep Elf High Priests get a new spell, that makes their allies cast stronger spells and more often.

Should be interesting to see how this interacts with stuff like Banish.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
I've managed to collect all 15 runes for the first time ever with a gargoyle fighter of TSO. I'm thinking about attempting a Ziggurat, but I've heard it's nearly impossible for non-casters. I do have every resistance maxed though, and I didn't have much trouble with Pandemonium/Hell. Do I have a shot at this? Here is my character dump: http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/smeego/smeego.txt

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I'm bad at ziggurats and have never cleared one without a really strong caster or a monster hybrid, so I won't offer much advice here except to say, don't do it! It's doable for melee characters with the right resources (the number of scrolls of fog you have is more important than your resists, most likely) but clearing zigs requires a completely different style of play from winning the game. It might turn out that you're good at it and you'll succeed, but probably not. If you're lucky, you'll figure out that you should bail on the zig before it kills you, if not, you'll die. Either way you'll feel disappointed. Take your 15 rune win and be happy about it. Attempt to clear your first zig with a naga fire elementalist of Makhleb in lich form with Wucad Mu or whatever.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 21, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nearly impossible isn't a qualifier for ziggurats, really. I've done a hybrid build through one a handful of times; they never managed to complete all 27 levels but a few managed to survive and continue on to win. Other people have done it with few complications. You'd probably fare pretty well against the more typically dangerous themes like Pan or Abyss since you've taken TSO, but I think you'd fall short in places like Slime or Spider. Do it anyway at least until ~11 so you get an idea what's in store.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I just did Tomb for my third rune and it was markedly easier than the first few floors of Vaults as long as I played reasonably carefully. What the gently caress.

Gonna be playing Ghoul a lot more from now on.

e: on a very distantly related note, I may have discovered the one time Faith is a no-brainer: on a Pakellas worshiper. You can waste and quickcharge wands like a crazy fucker and Pakellas just sits at ****** pelting you with wands and rods while screaming "EXCELLENT MORE VIOLENCE MORE EVOCATIONS YES OF COURSE I'LL CHARGE YOUR THREE HEAL WOUNDS WANDS GOOD WORK MY MINION"

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 21, 2015

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Angry Diplomat posted:

e: on a very distantly related note, I may have discovered the one time Faith is a no-brainer: on a Pakellas worshiper. You can waste and quickcharge wands like a crazy fucker and Pakellas just sits at ****** pelting you with wands and rods while screaming "EXCELLENT MORE VIOLENCE MORE EVOCATIONS YES OF COURSE I'LL CHARGE YOUR THREE HEAL WOUNDS WANDS GOOD WORK MY MINION"
My current TeGl is worshiping Pakellas and found an Amulet of Faith on Dungeon Lvl 9. I've yet to take it off and have been recharging any old wand as soon as my mana refills and Surging like a mad man. I've yet to dip past ******. It truly is great.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I just took off my faith amulet to wear-id a randart, which turned out to be faith with -tele :saddowns:

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/meatpath/meatpath.txt

Any advice before I enter Zot? The only thing that is niggling my brain is that -Tele on those gloves. I fear that might bite me in the rear end, but the rF++ will also be useful there, I know. I've only one win in the past, and the last time I was in Zot was in .16.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The usual "don't fight in the open, kite things into corridors, buff up for dangerous entities like Orbs of Fire, Ancient Liches and probably Death Cobs."

And dump the orb of energy cause you've got no Evocations and it's entirely useless for your character build. Find other elemental evokers and start cranking that skill for some more damage and distraction friends because this is the point in the game where experience comes hot and heavy so they'll recharge pretty quickly. And it'll provide you with a ranged option if you pick up some spare bolt wands.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

68k posted:

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/meatpath/meatpath.txt

Any advice before I enter Zot? The only thing that is niggling my brain is that -Tele on those gloves. I fear that might bite me in the rear end, but the rF++ will also be useful there, I know. I've only one win in the past, and the last time I was in Zot was in .16.

YAVP :toot: http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/meatpath/morgue-meatpath-20151221-173335.txt

Zot was... surprisingly easy. Had to take out 3 or 4 Orbs of Fire, but they didn't give me any problems. Had a brief "oh poo poo" moment: when running up the stairs through Depths, a juggernaut was right next to the stairs when I popped up. Other than that, though, the escape was pretty uneventful. I get the feeling I probably could have explored other realms with this character, as nothing in Zot was very challenging. I have no idea what extended is like, though. I also never did Elf:3, Vaults:5, or really any of the Tomb with this character. The highlight of the run for me, though, was an insanely nasty slog through Abyss:4 around XL 21. I thought if I made it out of that, I'd be able to win.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

It's funny. Despite being turn based, panic is still the leading cause of all my deaths.

90% of all crawl deaths are caused by either panic or carelessness. The trick with the former is to train yourself to just pause whenever you get in a tight situation. Take a break. Get a cup of tea, come back, look through your inventory and spells, then - and only then - splat.

IronicDongz posted:

This isn't actually true anymore, now invo/evo/spellcasting all always contribute.

Sorry, no. It's still based on whichever of your spcast, invo/2, or evo/2 is highest. (So if you have 10 spellcasting, invo and evo won't get you more mp until you raise them past 20, etc.)

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I'd say most of my deaths are from wailing on things that have been at almost dead for 10 drat turns.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Carelessness is the largest cause of my death. Namely of the, "well, this is going well, killing everything, autoexplore, kill more groups. Easy. Autoexplore, kill more groups....oh wait this thing is actually dangerous, well gently caress I'm already in a bad spot. Splat"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

PleasingFungus posted:

Sorry, no. It's still based on whichever of your spcast, invo/2, or evo/2 is highest. (So if you have 10 spellcasting, invo and evo won't get you more mp until you raise them past 20, etc.)
Weird. I remember really clearly that this got changed, I guess it must have been changed back again.

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.
Mummy ascended, gently caress yes. Only Halfling, Tengu (nearly forgotten about this one, should be easy comaperd to the others though), Felid and Demigod left.

Gozag is fantastic. Mummy Summoners are fantastic (if you can stay alive long enough). Spamming Monstrous Menagerie with a staff of energy was goddamn hilarious, and carried me pretty much throughout the entire game. Had to use Summon Horrible Things a couple of times on Zot:5 and during the ascension, but everything else died in droves to my never-ending tide of harpies, manticores, lindwurms and sphinxes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Tengu are actually kind of a pain due to their -20% HP apt and lost armour slots, along with weird apts.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
they're great at conj though so you can just focus that

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Darox posted:

#6 Most of the caster backgrounds are good, so pick ones that you feel comfortable with. I would personally warn against poison/ice though. Disclaimer: Ice is a decent background if you're not a pure blaster, but if you are the book is pretty limited and it has poor future growth as well. Imo Fire has the best starter book and Air school has the best mid/late game growth, but pick what you like.
I really don't know why people think that IE isn't meant to be a blaster background. Even if you don't stick with ice all the way through, Ozoarmor and Throw Icicle are amazing for getting you through early/midgame. It only gets better if you get your hands on non-startbook ice spells - Ozofridge is essentially getting earlier(and quieter) Shatter, Freezing Cloud massacres Elf/Orc/Vaults, and Bolt of Cold is as good as Bolt of Fire. Glaciate is just the cherry on top. I'd argue IE's the best blaster start, with FE coming in at a close second.

Then again I tried playing an IE the 'proper' hybrid way once and it was miserable, so maybe I'm just broken.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's because it's not as blasty as FE(which is all damage spells except for Conjure Flame which is still basically a damage spell) and Conjuror(which is all damage spells).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

gammafunk posted:

I didn't kill Dispater while getting the Avarice III banner cause I banished him instead. I died 400 turns later after exiting Hell. Always kill all Pan/hell lords or they curse you with hubris.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Or in the case of Pan lords they'll just show up again later to get revenge.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
The only time I didn't kill a Lord while rune hunting was when Lom Lobon tornado'd me directly onto the rune. I grabbed it and was tornado'd closer to the exit so I just ran :v:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Thanks, Lombama.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Smeego posted:

I've managed to collect all 15 runes for the first time ever with a gargoyle fighter of TSO. I'm thinking about attempting a Ziggurat, but I've heard it's nearly impossible for non-casters. I do have every resistance maxed though, and I didn't have much trouble with Pandemonium/Hell. Do I have a shot at this? Here is my character dump: http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/smeego/smeego.txt

This character is very well suited to zigging. Switch to Zin (he's stronger than TSO overall in zigs and you already have 27 invocations) and you could waltz through without any problems. The only negative is your low number of blink scrolls, but you should be fine with Zins help. Recite and Sanctuary are really helpful in zigs.

You definitely don't need to be a caster to clear your first zig, I've cleared several without any spells at all. Just take things slow and remember to hang near the edges to avoid getting surrounded, and if it is a dangerous floor (mummies, pan lords etc) sit in the corner quietly, snipe everything that appears with your xbow, and use fog if there is too many tormentors/hellfire on screen. Carry fog, by the way. It's really important.

Haifisch posted:

I really don't know why people think that IE isn't meant to be a blaster background. Even if you don't stick with ice all the way through, Ozoarmor and Throw Icicle are amazing for getting you through early/midgame. It only gets better if you get your hands on non-startbook ice spells - Ozofridge is essentially getting earlier(and quieter) Shatter, Freezing Cloud massacres Elf/Orc/Vaults, and Bolt of Cold is as good as Bolt of Fire. Glaciate is just the cherry on top. I'd argue IE's the best blaster start, with FE coming in at a close second.

Then again I tried playing an IE the 'proper' hybrid way once and it was miserable, so maybe I'm just broken.

I don't really like oz armour that much as a IE blaster :shrug: three mana is a lot early game for something that doesn't kill enemies. For mid game ice spells fridge & cloud are strong, but freezing cloud is also just as easy to pick up with air, and I don't think much of fire/cold bolt. They're definitely good enough (and have a pretty solid case for being easier than earth) so if you like it I can't criticise, but they're not really for me.

The biggest reason I don't like ice as much though is that I think their end cap is weak. No level 8 spell* and Glaciate is the least impressive of all the level 9 spells. It's at the bottom of the four. *(chain lightning is an amazing get for air, that 1 level difference lets you get it up much sooner and it obliterates everything not immune)

Darox fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 22, 2015

all the ladies say I
Aug 24, 2005

Acción de Espionaje Táctico
Got my first win today and with all 15 runes. Which felt good after losing a great GeFi of TSO to Lom Lobbon on rune 13. My MiBe obtained the Wu Tang secret on floor four of the dungeon. And was tasked with retrieving "Once Upon a Time in Shaolin" from the Realm of Shkreli. Had a few close calls but it felt good to finally make it out.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/inqbanana/morgue-inqbanana-20151221-231508.txt

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Scroll of Acquirement time!

Lair One, L12 Orc Fighter.
Weapon is solid, +10 War Axe (Artefact, Drain, +int) as is Armor (Artefact, +6 Scale or Chain or something). I don't really have any jewelry to speak of -- maybe that?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Consider wands. Acquirement has a decent chance of giving heal wounds, teleport, or haste, and if not it'll always give you an unidentified wand IIRC.

If you go Armour anyway you might get something good. I just Balways Bacquire Barmour unless my barmour is really good, in which case I go wands.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
I bAcquired the Booby Prize: +1 Buckler of Reflection. Oh well :)

And got ANOTHER one on L2!

Shinino Kage fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 22, 2015

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Tengu are actually kind of a pain due to their -20% HP apt and lost armour slots, along with weird apts.

Yeah, whether casting or meleeing, I don't feel comfortable without being a beeftank that's got hit points and defenses gushing out every orifice.

It helps compensate for my bad play by not killing me when I should be dead.

Dee Ehm fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 22, 2015

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I usually acquire armour, because my boots or gloves or helm/hat usually sucks.

also my Wiz would loving love that buckler

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
What I have so far. Not sure when I want to go to D10 to that trove. :)

code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-867-gfd1cc8f (webtiles) character file.

shinino the Severer (Hill Orc Fighter)             Turns: 15376, Time: 00:52:51

Health: 119/119    AC: 20    Str: 21    XL:     13   Next: 16%
Magic:  20/20      EV:  9    Int:  8    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   801        SH:  6    Dex: 13    Spells: 0 memorised, 12 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis .    Y - +10 war axe "Zagaovink" {drain, Int+2}
rCold  . . .      Gourm    .    H - +6 scale mail of Nuzunnecw {Regen+}
rNeg   . . .      Faith    .    F - +1 buckler {reflect}
rPois  .          Spirit   .    Z - +2 hat {MR+}
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    T - +2 cloak
rCorr  .          Reflect  +    N - +0 pair of gloves
SustAt .          Harm     .    G - +0 pair of boots
MR     ++...                    (no amulet)
Stlth  ..........               (no ring)
                                (no ring)

@: very resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: deformed body, dopey 1, fire resistance 1, low mp 1, magic resistance 1
a: Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion

You are on level 4 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Okawaru.
Okawaru is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 2 branches of the dungeon, and seen 14 of its levels.
You have also visited: Ossuary.

You have collected 801 gold pieces.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 Y - the +10 war axe "Zagaovink" (weapon) {drain, Int+2}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 10 of the Dungeon)   

A truly terrible weapon, it drains the life of those it strikes.

It affects your intelligence (+2).
Missiles
 U - 6 javelins of returning (quivered)
Armour
 F - a +1 buckler of reflection (worn)
 G - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
 H - the +6 scale mail of Nuzunnecw (worn) {Regen+}
   (You found it on level 7 of the Dungeon)   

It increases your rate of regeneration.
 N - a +0 pair of gloves (worn)
 T - a +2 cloak (worn)
 Z - a +2 hat of magic resistance (worn)
Jewellery
 A - the ring of Lumnouqu {SustAt MP+9 Str-3 Int+7}
   (You found it on level 5 of the Dungeon)   

[ring of sustain attributes]

It sustains your strength, intelligence and dexterity.
   It affects your strength (-3).
   It affects your intelligence (+7).
   It affects your magic capacity (+9).
 E - an uncursed amulet of the gourmand
Wands
 o - a wand of heal wounds {empty}
 p - a wand of polymorph
 B - a wand of magic darts
 C - a wand of slowing
 P - a wand of frost (4/48)
 Q - a wand of frost (21/48)
 W - a wand of lightning {empty}
Scrolls
 f - 2 scrolls of fear
 j - 4 scrolls of magic mapping
 k - 6 scrolls of remove curse
 s - 3 scrolls of recharging
 t - 2 scrolls of teleportation
 u - 2 scrolls labeled VOIKLU UWOR
 y - 7 scrolls of amnesia
 D - 3 scrolls of fog
 M - a scroll of acquirement
 O - 2 scrolls labeled OGIDOJ IMP
 S - 6 scrolls of enchant weapon
 X - a scroll labeled YVOISIOKAM
Potions
 a - 2 potions of magic
 b - 2 potions of invisibility
 d - 5 potions of might
 e - 14 potions of curing
 g - a potion of brilliance
 l - a brown potion
 q - 3 potions of lignification
 r - a fuming emerald potion
 x - 2 potions of agility
 z - a potion of resistance
 L - a potion of berserk rage
 R - a fuming green potion
Books
 c - a book of Unlife   

Spells                             Type                      Level
    a - Recall                       Summoning/Translocation       3
    b - Animate Dead                 Necromancy                    4
    c - Control Undead               Necromancy                    4
    d - Cigotuvi's Embrace           Necromancy                    5
    e - Death Channel                Necromancy                    6
    f - Simulacrum                   Ice/Necromancy                6
 n - an Akashic Record   

a - Dispersal                    Translocation                 6
    b - Malign Gateway               Summoning/Translocation       7
    c - Disjunction                  Translocation                 8
    d - Controlled Blink             Translocation                 8
 K - a book of Maledictions   

a - Corona                       Hexes                         1
    b - Ensorcelled Hibernation      Hexes/Ice                     2
    c - Confuse                      Hexes                         3
    d - Tukima's Dance               Hexes                         3
    e - Dazzling Spray               Conjuration/Hexes             3
 V - a book of Necromancy   

a - Pain                         Necromancy                    1
    b - Animate Skeleton             Necromancy                    1
    c - Vampiric Draining            Necromancy                    3
    d - Regeneration                 Charms/Necromancy             3
    e - Animate Dead                 Necromancy                    4
    f - Control Undead               Necromancy                    4
Miscellaneous
 h - a plain deck of cards
 i - a phial of floods
Comestibles
 m - a bread ration
 v - 3 slices of pizza
 w - 3 meat rations
 I - 12 royal jellies
 J - a fruit

Skills:
 + Level 12.9 Fighting
 + Level 15.6 Axes
 - Level 9.8 Armour
 - Level 5.7 Shields
 - Level 12.7 Invocations
 * Level 4.6 Evocations

You have 12 spell levels left.
You don't know any spells.

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (10/15)            Temple (0/1) D:7            Lair (4/8) D:10
 Swamp: Lair:3-6    Shoals: Lair:3-6     Snake: Lair:3-6    Spider: Lair:3-6
   Orc: D:9-12      

Altars:
Ashenzari
Dithmenos
Gozag
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Pakellas
Qazlal
Ru
Sif Muna
Trog
Yredelemnul
The Shining One

Shops:
D:8 }

Portals:
Trove: D:10 (show slimy rune of Zot)

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

Armour fits poorly on your strangely shaped body.
You are dopey. (Int -2)
Your flesh is heat resistant.
Your magical capacity is low (-10% MP).
You are resistant to hostile enchantments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Darox posted:

The biggest reason I don't like ice as much though is that I think their end cap is weak. No level 8 spell* and Glaciate is the least impressive of all the level 9 spells. It's at the bottom of the four. *(chain lightning is an amazing get for air, that 1 level difference lets you get it up much sooner and it obliterates everything not immune)

Dude, Glaciate is spectacular. There are a lot of situations in which I'd prefer to cast it over any of the other level 9s, and I can tell you this for a fact because I've by now ascended two 15 rune characters who had both castable at maximum power.

• Locked thread