Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

vilkacis posted:

^
In fact, given how hard it is to get people to read the op at all, shorter is most likely better. If you have things to say, it's probably better to do it in the actual lp so people don't just skip over it like the op-skippers they are.
Really? I remember being told to put a lot of effort into the OP. Something like "If you don't show effort, it reflects poorly to the audience" and stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Generally, yeah, that's true and is good advice. If you put effort into your OP, people are usually more confident that an LP will be quality. That said, a high effort OP can be long or short. There's no rule to the OP's length. As rules usually go, it's also not 100% applicable all of the time. Sometimes a low effort OP winds up being a great LP, though I most often see that with more comedic LPs. Known LPers also tend to get away with shorter OPs than unknown LPers, obviously.

As always it's up to the LPer. :justpost: see if it works. There's kind of an art to it, and you gotta figure out what works for you. The Sandcastle is merely a place to get advice or refine ideas, and any suggestions offered need not be accepted.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It also may help to consider where to put the effort - doesn't necessarily need to be in the first post if it's a game that largely doesn't need much introduction, but that can leave effort for the second post - if there are interesting characters, updating character bios in the second post as the plot unfolds can be neat, or if it's a 100% lp of a collectathon try to find an interesting way to present how many of each collectible you have to show the overall progress of the LP. The former I did for Ghosthunter, the latter I did for Lego City Undercover.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

It also may help to consider where to put the effort - doesn't necessarily need to be in the first post if it's a game that largely doesn't need much introduction, but that can leave effort for the second post - if there are interesting characters, updating character bios in the second post as the plot unfolds can be neat, or if it's a 100% lp of a collectathon try to find an interesting way to present how many of each collectible you have to show the overall progress of the LP. The former I did for Ghosthunter, the latter I did for Lego City Undercover.
Yeah, I did try to spice things up with character bios in my more recent LPs, but considering I've only done so with old games, I've started to feel silly about it. I also tried in my Kingdom Hearts LPs to give Disney trivia based off the movies of the worlds in each video, but I don't think anyone read those, so I kind of stopped with those too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

TheLoneStar posted:

Yeah, I did try to spice things up with character bios in my more recent LPs, but considering I've only done so with old games, I've started to feel silly about it. I also tried in my Kingdom Hearts LPs to give Disney trivia based off the movies of the worlds in each video, but I don't think anyone read those, so I kind of stopped with those too.

I think the thing I'm most proud of was the Lego City screen I used to show how much stuff I had collected. I had this image at the top of the second post as a running Tally that I kept updating with each video:

Perhaps the most effort I ever put in. The numbers were white for when I was still missing stuff, then gold when I completed that collectible.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Adamant posted:

Maybe I went a bit overboard. Thoughts?

Then again, even if people skip the OP, the first real post is essentially saying "hey guys, should we go east or west or climb a tree or dig a hole or what?", so it's not like people are going to get lost.
To me, the length of the OP really only matters for video LPs. Like, a short OP and then a bunch of links to videos makes a page look barren, and requires clicking offsite, perhaps multiple times, before you get to much content. A long OP makes me think the game has some meat to it, some discussion going on about the videos. With screenshots, provided there is at least one update, I can simply scroll down and there's already more, even if the OP itself is pretty short.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 21, 2018

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I've been doing "Part 0" episodes to go with my VLPs that replace a typical OP. Videos that are a couple minutes long with info about the game and the plans for the LP, possibly an intro cutscene. It keeps the OP devoid of clutter (nobody goes to a video LP to read) and give you all the info in a single link you can either watch or skip to get to the actual game part of the LP.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jamesman posted:

(nobody goes to a video LP to read)

they're called Hybrid LPs :eng99:

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
This talk of OP's is interesting as I noticed that my videos have low views compared to the thread views. With only 35 Video views on my first episode out of 649 thread views. Should I spice up the thread perhaps?

Also, is -30db too quiet for the game audio? My commentary is around -9db and it sounds good to my ears but I have a hearing impairment so my sense of volume is messed up. The reason why it is so low is that I recorded the game at half volume on my capture card by mistake. I couldn't find a way to amplify it without it become distorted. I got 9 minutes left on my initial recording and I need to keep it consistent.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Your thread views aren't gonna be a great barometer of your viewerbase.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Supeerme posted:

This talk of OP's is interesting as I noticed that my videos have low views compared to the thread views. With only 35 Video views on my first episode out of 649 thread views. Should I spice up the thread perhaps?

Also, is -30db too quiet for the game audio? My commentary is around -9db and it sounds good to my ears but I have a hearing impairment so my sense of volume is messed up. The reason why it is so low is that I recorded the game at half volume on my capture card by mistake. I couldn't find a way to amplify it without it become distorted. I got 9 minutes left on my initial recording and I need to keep it consistent.

If you feel it's appropriate, maybe give it a try, but I've found that to be a consistent thing across many threads. Threads themselves will get lots of views but only the really dedicated will actually click through to a video and watch it.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

So, should I keep going with OPs like this: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=150904

Or should I do more to spice them up? Should it be longer? I did do character bios for the last few LPs I did, but they started to feel kind of silly to do considering the last few games I covered were around a decade old, or even older.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Can I sort the LP Archive by date?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FillInTheBlank posted:

Can I sort the LP Archive by date?

Looks like it!

E: That symbol is A-Z on default, when its separating by title.

Leal fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 24, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Wow, I never knew you could do that!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

TheLoneStar posted:

So, should I keep going with OPs like this: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=150904

Or should I do more to spice them up? Should it be longer? I did do character bios for the last few LPs I did, but they started to feel kind of silly to do considering the last few games I covered were around a decade old, or even older.

Listen to your heart.

There's no generally right or wrong way to do this. Even for some specific game, there are good reasons to take this thing in all sorts of ways. You're sharing a game with people because you want them to see it, so what would you have them know in advance? Is there anything that they need to know to enjoy the LP? Do you think it's worth collecting some stuff in one place so that people can have extra background info without having to dig through wikis and TVTropes and spoilers? Do you just know some really cool poo poo about the game that people would enjoy hearing? Do you just want to gush a bit about how much you love/hate the game?

You already know which of these you want and which you don't, so just do them, or don't, and mean it, and don't worry about some prescribed way it "should" be for some given game.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Fedule posted:

Listen to your heart.

There's no generally right or wrong way to do this. Even for some specific game, there are good reasons to take this thing in all sorts of ways. You're sharing a game with people because you want them to see it, so what would you have them know in advance? Is there anything that they need to know to enjoy the LP? Do you think it's worth collecting some stuff in one place so that people can have extra background info without having to dig through wikis and TVTropes and spoilers? Do you just know some really cool poo poo about the game that people would enjoy hearing? Do you just want to gush a bit about how much you love/hate the game?

You already know which of these you want and which you don't, so just do them, or don't, and mean it, and don't worry about some prescribed way it "should" be for some given game.
I mean, that's sort of what I've been trying to do for over a year now, and it isn't working out too well. I gotta change something up, so I thought I'd start with the OP. And it's more that this is essentially my OP for every game I do, with the same little sections, but I was just wondering if it was enough or needed something else mixed in.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Writing an OP is the second worst part of starting an LP, second only to figuring out how to intro the first episode. I never have any idea what to say for either

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

Writing an OP is the second worst part of starting an LP, second only to figuring out how to intro the first episode. I never have any idea what to say for either

Say what the game is, what you like about it, what the format of the LP will be, any update schedule you might have, and your spoiler policy. You can cover any introductory materials as well, if relevant, or you can save that for the first "real" update.

That's all you need, really.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Also figure out how to fix the game and make it playable and include instructions on doing so!

Or maybe that's just me and the kinds of games I play. :sterv:

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Leal posted:

Looks like it!

E: That symbol is A-Z on default, when its separating by title.

Thanks.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

TheLoneStar posted:

I mean, that's sort of what I've been trying to do for over a year now, and it isn't working out too well. I gotta change something up, so I thought I'd start with the OP. And it's more that this is essentially my OP for every game I do, with the same little sections, but I was just wondering if it was enough or needed something else mixed in.

Honestly, I think just having a rote template and changing the words some is probably not necessarily the best thing to do. Though, most OPs are pretty similar in practice; basic information, any important gimmick stuff, thread rules etc. are all pretty standard, but . I personally at this point lean more towards making it brief anyway, though; most folks aren't gonna read the full thing, even if it was super attention grabbing (for evidence the obvious go to is the number of times people get probated for spoilers in threads that make it very, very explicit that's not allowed). On that note, a fantastic example of brevity on that front was OFS' FFTA OP that was all of like 3 lines long, because that's all it needed.

As for your example posted above, if I was to change anything about it, personally, I'd nix the story summary and the checklist of things that you'll do, since neither add much really. I'd also add a link to the BBS LP (either the thread or the version on the Archive, as applicable).

Basically, if I had to just edit what you linked, without adding anything else superfluous, I'd personally alter it to:

quote:

:siren: Spoilers? All spoilers are allowed, as the game is well over a decade old. Spoilers for any other game in the series are also fine, up to and including trailers for Kingdom Hearts III. :siren:

Kingdom Hearts II was the third game released in the Kingdom Hearts series, and the last time where the games actually got released in chronological order for quite a while. It was initially released in December 2005 in Japan, and in March of 2006 for the U.S., and naturally not too long after, a Final Mix was released in 2007 with an exclusive Japan release. There was a second version called version called Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix+ that had an updated version of Kingdom Hearts II along with Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories. It wasn't until 2014 where the Final Mix version of this game got an international release as part of the Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX collection on the PlayStation 3. It was then released once more in 2017 as part of the Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX collection for the PlayStation 4.

There is a secret ending, but all it contains is a preview of Birth by Sleep. I've played through that already, so I'm not gonna worry about it.

But, of course, what I'd do and what you'd do aren't gonna always be the same. Plus. this sure isn't a hard and fast rule anyway. Some games definitely need more in-depth OPs, because they're so niche and obscure that it needs some real explaining. Einander did an LP of Demon King Chronicle that had a somewhat lengthy OP for an example of that too. It's just really a question of whether or not KH2 really needs a plot summary and a list of Things That Are In The Game and it really kinda isn't. At least not from my perspective, anyway.

e;

It's also possible I am super overthinking this at this point. Lord knows even I'm leaning in that direction right now.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 25, 2018

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Dragonatrix posted:

Honestly, I think just having a rote template and changing the words some is probably not necessarily the best thing to do. Though, most OPs are pretty similar in practice; basic information, any important gimmick stuff, thread rules etc. are all pretty standard, but . I personally at this point lean more towards making it brief anyway, though; most folks aren't gonna read the full thing, even if it was super attention grabbing (for evidence the obvious go to is the number of times people get probated for spoilers in threads that make it very, very explicit that's not allowed). On that note, a fantastic example of brevity on that front was OFS' FFTA OP that was all of like 3 lines long, because that's all it needed.

As for your example posted above, if I was to change anything about it, personally, I'd nix the story summary and the checklist of things that you'll do, since neither add much really. I'd also add a link to the BBS LP (either the thread or the version on the Archive, as applicable).

Basically, if I had to just edit what you linked, without adding anything else superfluous, I'd personally alter it to:

But, of course, what I'd do and what you'd do aren't gonna always be the same. Plus. this sure isn't a hard and fast rule anyway. Some games definitely need more in-depth OPs, because they're so niche and obscure that it needs some real explaining. Einander did an LP of Demon King Chronicle that had a somewhat lengthy OP for an example of that too. It's just really a question of whether or not KH2 really needs a plot summary and a list of Things That Are In The Game and it really kinda isn't. At least not from my perspective, anyway.
I suppose I hadn't considered I'd need to change up my OPs too much, especially given the kind of games I've been playing. I was generally just outlining my OP based on what I've seen in other threads, a lot of which include a story summary, though I admit I felt silly including one for a thirteen year-old game that's part of such a popular franchise. I did only include that checklist of things in case people were curious as to what optional stuff I'd do considering how much extra stuff there is to do in the Final Mix version of the game, but if it it flows better without it, so be it.

I hope it's alright if I use the example you made for when I start the LP, it is a lot nicer than what I had before.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I hope this is OK and that this is the appropriate thread to ask.

-What kinda things do you donate to Patreon for?
-What kinda things would encourage you to donate to a Patreon?
-If you have a Patreon of your own (no shilling), what kinda things do you offer?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jamesman posted:

-If you have a Patreon of your own (no shilling), what kinda things do you offer?

- To support friends who are artists or writers, and occasionally to help finance podcasts or LPs.
- Bonus content, polls, physical goods ala pins.
- I don't have my own patreon.

Examples of cool patreons (I am not affiliated with these folks!):

https://www.patreon.com/BobbinThreadbare
https://www.patreon.com/3MA
https://www.patreon.com/angelarium

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Jamesman posted:

Mainly, I support creators / projects I like.

Not gating content to patrons, early access is fine, though. On the lower tiers community perks are preferred. Small things like special roles in a community discord or whatever, being part of votes on various things.
What I don't like is stuff like having my name at the end of a video or getting a verbal shoutout or w/e. If you offer those make sure people can opt-out of that.

My Patreon that I made but never launched has a 6.66 $ tier that makes patrons pledge their souls to me (in addition to the money).

(note: it says published today because I weeded out some inconsistensies, which doesn't matter, because it's not live anyway)

Like, really, feel free to steal all my ideas. It's probably the best Patreon ever, and i'm only not launching it because I'm afraid of the responsibility that comes with everyone in the world owing me money (+ sometimes souls)

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

I've donated to people whose opinions I support and want to see more of.

General professionalism, a backlog to get a good sense of their work. Consistent quality and staying at least somewhat on a schedule with release of new content.

Honestly, consistency means a hell of a lot, especially if you want to be paid for your work.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Jamesman posted:

My only criterion is not getting hacked by /pol/. The downside is that I have to send my fivers by snail mail. The upside is that /pol/ doesn't know where I live.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Jamesman posted:

I like supporting people who put in the effort to do something distinct and unique. Smight is a good example, he runs the Arcade Pit, which is a retro gaming themed game show. There's clearly a ton of work being put into that thing, he couldn't have a day job and do all that at the same time. It wouldn't exist if people didn't hand him enough money to live through Patreon and Twitch.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Hey there LP sandcastleists,

I've got a somewhat basic question that was probably asked before but I couldn't really find a good example of such a case (probably because it's just something that's not cool to do and that's that) but I thought asking couldn't hurt.

I got this dumb LP of Evil Islands which I posted in that casual LP thread about sometimes but now I really wouldn't mind making a thread for it just to have a good time in and be able to engage with people about it and whatnot. Problem with that is that there's already a bunch of episodes. I wouldn't mind just posting those at the top and taking it from there but you can probably see where I'd think that might raise some eyebrows.

So what do you think? Are things chill enough around here to kinda go ahead like this and make that thread or is it just not cool to decide to take an LP to SA kinda halfway through in any event?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I see no issue with it. May want to mention in the new thread’s OP that it started in the casual thread to shut down potential threadshitters, but otherwise i imagine it’d be fine.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Sounds like a “spirit of the rules” situation to me. I’ll allow it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Fedule is the Judge at the end of the inevitable e-Bud movie taking a puff on his pipe going "Taint no rule that says a dawg can't do an LP..."

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Fedule posted:

Sounds like a “spirit of the rules” situation to me. I’ll allow it.

Cool. I'll go ahead then and see how it goes, thanks for the input everybody.

Heckspawn
May 5, 2018

Oh well.
Hey guys, hope I'm not stepping on toes here, but it seems like Fedule isn't going to LP the third Zero Escape game so I thought I'd try my hand at it. It's pretty rough/not a complete first update, so feedback is appreciated, especially regarding the screenshot-to-text ratio. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Disregard this, better post below.

Heckspawn fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 6, 2018

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
You could have asked! I would have been happy to tell everyone once again that I am never going to LP ZTD.

There's not a lot to go on here, really. The screenshot to text ratio is high but then the cutscenes in ZTD are all full motion so there's more stuff to show, so that's fine, really.

Heckspawn
May 5, 2018

Oh well.
Yeah, one thing I'm trying to decide is if it's worth sticking with a traditional SSLP format or just say gently caress it and go hybrid, with videos for the longer cutscenes and screenshots for the rest. That's partly why it's so short, because I didn't want to go too far into one format if I ultimately decide to switch. Maybe I'll do at least one full update as SSLP and see how I feel about it.

Edit: I'm a dipshit and closed the tab with my original test post, so I made a new one here that's closer in length to what I'm envisioning a full update will be. It doesn't have music or video included, because I'm just trying to get a sense of how a really image-heavy post might look. Thoughts?

vvvv Yeah, I'm kinda leaning that way as well. This was a lot of screenshotting, god drat.

Heckspawn fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 6, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Heckspawn posted:

Yeah, one thing I'm trying to decide is if it's worth sticking with a traditional SSLP format or just say gently caress it and go hybrid, with videos for the longer cutscenes and screenshots for the rest. That's partly why it's so short, because I didn't want to go too far into one format if I ultimately decide to switch. Maybe I'll do at least one full update as SSLP and see how I feel about it.

I'd vote Hybrid, if you can.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
For a million reasons I wanna save for its thread, I've wanted to do an LP of the later two Witcher games for literal years and today's the day I stopped procrastinating. One issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZTuLuhv-eA

I wanted to mod in a few extra skillpoints so I could conceivably show off a sign or alchemy build if there was thread interest (because otherwise you won't really have them really hit their power curve until about an hour before the end of the game) and there's one mod that does both! The catch is, the mod also highlights all items. All items.

From a practical perspective I love it! If I were replaying for my own self, I'd use it 100% no takebacks. But it looks..... well, don't lemme tell you how it looks. You tell me how it looks. If its too distracting that kinda sucks, but thats the way the cookie crumbles I guess. If it turns out I care about this far out of proportion to everyone else caring about this then I'll have my actual test post up tomorrow or the day after because I got the workflow on lock and am really antsy to get started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

For a million reasons I wanna save for its thread, I've wanted to do an LP of the later two Witcher games for literal years and today's the day I stopped procrastinating. One issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZTuLuhv-eA

I wanted to mod in a few extra skillpoints so I could conceivably show off a sign or alchemy build if there was thread interest (because otherwise you won't really have them really hit their power curve until about an hour before the end of the game) and there's one mod that does both! The catch is, the mod also highlights all items. All items.

From a practical perspective I love it! If I were replaying for my own self, I'd use it 100% no takebacks. But it looks..... well, don't lemme tell you how it looks. You tell me how it looks. If its too distracting that kinda sucks, but thats the way the cookie crumbles I guess. If it turns out I care about this far out of proportion to everyone else caring about this then I'll have my actual test post up tomorrow or the day after because I got the workflow on lock and am really antsy to get started.

I think it looks perfectly fine, possibly even preferred. I had no idea what to even look for until you pointed it out, and after you did, it didn't feel out of place against the look of the game where it came off as distracting or bad.