Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The Pokemon leaks convinced me to digitally preorder Pokemon.

The Watch Dogs 2 leaks convinced me to avoid Watch Dogs 2.

Ubisoft...

which wd2 leak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ubisoft...

Link?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Just gave the Skyrim Special Edition a try. I cannot believe how much better it runs than the 32bit version. I'm flabbergasted. The same PC runs the 32bit version with stutters and coil whine and sluggish movement. The 64bit is buttery smooth on ultra. This is nuts!

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Ubisoft...

What happened to WD 2 that you weren't already expecting?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The seamless multiplayer is causing major performance issues and they had to shut it off until they can fix it, and the only notice they've given is ingame.

Aka the game is early access and they are trying to hide that until release, which is Tuesday.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Does digitally preordering Pokemon make any difference in terms of price or content?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I've been watching it on Youtube, the player animates like they are an online player lagging and the humor is like the dumbest GTA jokes. I bet the driving is still terrible too but early release players are terrible so its hard to tell.

It's funny that the online is causing issues because player invasions are the best part of the original.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Red Bones posted:

Does digitally preordering Pokemon make any difference in terms of price or content?

Not really.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hello i'm going to play the first dark souls for the first time. what should i know

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

oddium posted:

hello i'm going to play the first dark souls for the first time. what should i know

Go up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You should know that the controls will seem strange, but you can't rebind them. While the game is hard, if it seems like you have hit a wall, it's possible you have overlooked something and you explore more try tactics/mechanics you haven't yet.

Have fun, and keep us updated! The ds1 thread is probably still around.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Red Bones posted:

you get to preload it i guess, which helps since nintendo doesn't pay for the good internet

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oddium posted:

Shields are for wusses

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

Look around corners before going around them

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If it looks like trap it probably is

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oddium posted:

As little as possible. DS1 is extremely good for blind play, way more so than a lot of the series. It is not a crazy long game, play through it however you want the first time. Experiment, try poo poo out. Then you can replay it with a wiki or something in the future and find all the neat hidden stuff.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You should know your local emergency response number because you're going to OD on fun, like a Sim

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Sam Faust posted:

Too much watching. Too few dogs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dark Souls first timer advice: It's probably a good idea to focus on upgrading health and endurance before your weapon or magic stats. You don't have to abide by that, but it helps. Upgrading your damage stats before you get access to weapon upgrades is a bit of a waste because they don't start benefiting from it till you get a few in. Also, if it looks like you can get somewhere, you absolutely can. This applies to things both close by and way the gently caress off in the distance.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 14, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*In the voice of Minsc*

Go for the tails, oddium, go for the tails! ARRRGGH

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Don't give up

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

, skeleton!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

oddium posted:

If you're playing on PC, use a controller and get DSfix.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hi guys I just made an rear end of myself in the dishonored 2 thread how's everyone feeling about that

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowcaster posted:

hi guys I just made an rear end of myself in the dishonored 2 thread how's everyone feeling about that

CJacobs posted:

It's real good my man.

But more than that, it's also one of the most creative games I've played in a while. Corvo has the same powers as he did in Dishonored 1 (with some augmented functionality for Dishonored 2's new systems), but Emily's powers are super cool and fun to use. The developers really paid attention to every situation you could use them in, so the gameplay is very fun. Dishonored 2 is like a whole game full of situations of developers being considerate to their players.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Sam Faust posted:

I did not expect a bootleg memeface on the shirt of an antagonist because they couldn't even spring for the rights to use the original one.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

oddium posted:

Don't look stuff up, unless you're hitting a wall. Then, look enough up to get past that and stop. Expect to die a bunch, it is ok. Focus on making tangible progress over level grinding. Weapon upgrading can be very important. Praise the sun.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

oddium posted:

Try a few weapons out at a bonfire even if you dont meet the stat requirements. The moves will be slow if you dont meet the str requirements but you'll still get a feel for the weapon arcs and that will let you know what kind of weapon you want to use. Aside from silly pvp builds, DS1 is 100% about finding the playstyle that fits the individual player best. Ive beaten it with fists and a sl1 run, but i can barely get to quelaag with a claymore/zweihander.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I mean the first thing anyone should tell anyone about dark souls 1 is use your loving shield. next thing is find a shield with 100 physical block.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

I mean the first thing anyone should tell anyone about dark souls 1 is use your loving shield. next thing is find a shield with 100 physical block.

Or just dodge attacks and kill things with Hanzo Steel.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nasgate posted:

Or just dodge attacks and kill things with Hanzo Steel.

No see that's great and all

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The good thing about Dark Souls 1 is that it's much more friendly to different approaches than 2 or 3 are. They're all pretty good at it, but you have more options than "use a shield and tank every hit" or "dodge all the time and never get hit". That's something else to keep in mind. If you're having trouble beating a boss or an area, the problem might not be with your skill as a player, but your approach. If you ever find yourself dying to a boss or hard enemy or whatever and then saying "I can do it, it's just hard", you probably can do it as you are but there's an alternative way to tackle it that's probably easier.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

oddium posted:

Sorceries are good.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Obviously you git gud sooner if you don't rely on shields, but that makes the beginning extremely frustrating.

Plus a 100% shield really helps with confidence and that's the hardest part of gitting gud imo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you're only starting dark souls now then you're probably not going to finish it because you probably won't get invested enough to push your way through some of the bullshittier parts. If you liked the genre then you probably would've played the game already

This is based on personal observations of mine, they could be wrong

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Coming from expectations of ninja gaiden and devil may cry sorts of games the most mind bending thing to me was that putting your arm up with a piece of metal strapped to it was capable of negating if not totally at least a majority of all damage and that was my biggest mental leap playing dark souls 1. it's probably way different for most people cause I'm a dumbshit

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

Coming from expectations of ninja gaiden and devil may cry sorts of games the most mind bending thing to me was that putting your arm up with a piece of metal strapped to it was capable of negating if not totally at least a majority of all damage and that was my biggest mental leap playing dark souls 1. it's probably way different for most people cause I'm a dumbshit

Nah, "blocking is very strong" is something a lot of people don't realize because a lot of games make blocking a secondary thing or make it easily broken. Blocking is absurdly strong in all the Souls games if you get the right shield.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Dark Souls, in my experience, has a weird and interesting arc for first time players that goes something like -

1) You start off and boldly saunter forth, mash attack buttons, don't use items, and get your rear end handed to you by normal enemies and the first, easiest bosses. You get hopelessly lost and miss obvious mechanics.

2) Those who stick it out become very cautious and reserved, paying attention to their surroundings, watching for traps and "bait", keeping their shield perpetually raised. This enables them to get through a lot of the game, even to beat it and enjoy it.

3) As you play more and more and get more used to it, you slowly start discarding caution and realize that parrying is easier than it seems, that you know the maps like the back of your hand, and that several things in the game - including at least one major boss - are actually easier when you practice calculated aggression rather than playing defensively.

It's a pretty neat thing to experience and to watch others experience.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've played through the three games multiple times and still can't parry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Rust posted:

I've played through the three games multiple times and still can't parry

To your credit, it feels a little different every time, and I think it's easier in Dark Souls 1 than the sequels because among other things enemy attack patterns are less complex.

• Locked thread