Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Plus most people who make mtg videos are either really obnoxious or unwatchably plain and boring. It's an open market for anyone entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Cause he makes videos of funny, improbable decks. I don't watch him, but playing well obviously isn't the point of his content.

Yeah there's a place for that now twoo is off the deep end somewhere. Maybe he just needs an interpreter.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Censor is a better Counterspell than Miscalculation. Cycling for just one Mana is super gross and force spike is great. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it saw some play in Modern.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Anybody who pays for scg have the tom Ross mono black list? I just saw the preview video of:

T1 2/1 zombie
T2 scrounger
T3 ballista for zero triple bone picker

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So there was a big clarification post on the new combat shortcut: https://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2017/04/27/how-to-think-about-the-new-combat-shortcut/

It's still not clear to me what happens if you say "attackers" instead of "combat" in your main phase. The comments section implies that the answer is "gently caress you, you're still in beginning of combat, you were supposed to ask twice if you wanted to be able to declare attackers without tipping your hand", which seems really dumb.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

I'm banking on their being some kind of playable control deck in standard now. Between Negate, Essence Scatter, Censor, Disallow, and Baral, you have a solid core of cheap counters and card draw/filtering. Plus you've got that mythic sphinx with embalm that 2 for 1s any removal they try to throw at it outside of combat. I think it's just a matter of whether white or black brings more to the deck to fill out the rest of it.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I think the most likely control deck in Standard is red because you can't beat Scrounger without Magma Spray. Also, Harnessed Lightning is 70% of Terminate. Baral is not good either. But yeah, Control might be back now.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

He's also consistently just not very good at magic, and the combination of the two sometimes makes me wonder why people give him the time of day, until I realize what most of us are like (exactly like him).

He is very entertaining and his budget deck series is fun to play casually. No one watches him for high level play, they do it because it's fun.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Sampatrick posted:

I think the most likely control deck in Standard is red because you can't beat Scrounger without Magma Spray. Also, Harnessed Lightning is 70% of Terminate. Baral is not good either. But yeah, Control might be back now.

Anguished unmaking.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
So you're trading down on Mana, you're down on life, and you can't answer your opponent's Gideon? And you have to be in three colors? That seems like too many hoops to jump through when you can just be UR and not worry so much.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Or you could just add these new cards into the great shell that is Temur Tower already. The deck would probably be putting up more results if people actually could play control like they do aggro.

Also Baral is absolute trash in a format with Fatal Push.

Edit: I may try to bring B/W planeswalkers back, but the deck doesn't have Read the Bones anymore or the ability to make creatures to flip westvale EOT, so I am skeptical it would be any good.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
You don't need to qualify that statement

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
You can torrential gearhulk Memory at the end of your opponents turn, right?

Instant speed timetwister sounds pretty good

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

and you can't answer your opponent's Gideon?

What? Why? Unmaking exiles, right?

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me

so satisfying to open, now i feel less bitter about the guy opening gideon + nissa at the prerelease

*also snagged a foil bontu in the next pack :>

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

There should be an achievement for this

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

tqilamknbrd posted:

so satisfying to open, now i feel less bitter about the guy opening gideon + nissa at the prerelease

*also snagged a foil bontu in the next pack :>

No, but really, pulling any masterpiece is pretty sweet. Good job and flip that ugly mother fucker for something nice!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jabor posted:

So there was a big clarification post on the new combat shortcut: https://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2017/04/27/how-to-think-about-the-new-combat-shortcut/

It's still not clear to me what happens if you say "attackers" instead of "combat" in your main phase. The comments section implies that the answer is "gently caress you, you're still in beginning of combat, you were supposed to ask twice if you wanted to be able to declare attackers without tipping your hand", which seems really dumb.
A finger on the monkey's paw curls as people asking to crew in Beginning of Combat get their wish.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Soul Glo posted:

What are these cards

Radha, Heir to Keld?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

And Savage Ventmaw

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Mezzanon posted:

Anybody who pays for scg have the tom Ross mono black list? I just saw the preview video of:

T1 2/1 zombie
T2 scrounger
T3 ballista for zero triple bone picker

I'm at work so can't post it but I did play a dozen games on xmage with it last night. It was pretty bad... I just got stomped by Mardu, GB and RG Glory.. and most other things. It just felt anemic and weak and my few game wins were only ever due to bad luck across the table.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

A big flaming stink posted:

Most likely. The rules update isn't out yet, but the release notes give a pretty good indication that this is the case.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

What? Why? Unmaking exiles, right?

If you Unmaking their Scrounger, you won't have the Unmaking for their Gideon

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

A big flaming stink posted:

Yes, you can.

https://twitter.com/tabakrules/status/848969254737260546

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It shows you how dumb magic players are that that awful Gideon deck is actually having an impact on card prices. Guys... Saffron Olive decks are NEVER good.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Jabor posted:

I mean, the shortcut working differently based on what word you say is precisely what they're trying to avoid. If your concern is the NAP can wait to see what the attacks are and then rewind to beginning of combat, it does say "We do expect the non-active player to interrupt relatively quickly once the active player makes it clear that they’re going into combat. No waiting to see what’s declared as attackers, pausing to think for a bit, then attempting to interrupt the shortcut." Or you can just do the double-pass to be safe

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It shows you how dumb magic players are that that awful Gideon deck is actually having an impact on card prices. Guys... Saffron Olive decks are NEVER good.

BW Gidrange at least has a lot of matchups where it literally can't lose

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

BW Gidrange at least has a lot of matchups where it literally can't lose

There are a lot of bad corner case decks in modern with random good matchups.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Anoited Procession and Mechanized Production... If I wanted to make some FNM level deck using those what do you guys think should be in it? Don't really have anything that would work I think unfortunately but I can get singles at the shop itself.

Was thinking either servos or clues for the artifacts I can get 8 of. I guess servos would work best so I can flood the board with tokens?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

It says in the OP that Legacy has skyrocketed in popularity lately, but then it says nobody plays it anymore?

Assuming I can find my decks this is what I would actually be able to use them in so just wondering which it is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

It says in the OP that Legacy has skyrocketed in popularity lately, but then it says nobody plays it anymore?

Assuming I can find my decks this is what I would actually be able to use them in so just wondering which it is.

It's definitely the latter. Don't invest in legacy cards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Depends on where you live.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

xanthan posted:

Anoited Procession and Mechanized Production... If I wanted to make some FNM level deck using those what do you guys think should be in it? Don't really have anything that would work I think unfortunately but I can get singles at the shop itself.

Was thinking either servos or clues for the artifacts I can get 8 of. I guess servos would work best so I can flood the board with tokens?

I was flirting with this idea in my standard fog deck a few months ago to eliminate Fevered Visions and replace with Trail of Evidence (When you cast an instant/sorcery investigate)

Since my deck is nothing but creatures just crapping out tons of Clue tokens though 12 Fogs, Anticipate, Counters, Glimmers and then winning with Mechanized Production on a Clue but Visions is just the better play so I abandoned it.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

Imagine if you posted this on reddit how many downvotes you'd get due to all the people who eat up almost anything he posts.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
SaffronOlive decks are great

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

I assume you mean morally never good, because the guy makes wacky brews that people assume are far better than they actually are which creates an upward force on prices and they never go down due to cards' persistent price memory.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/competitive-standard-constructed-league-2017-04-27

Some of these decks are just so good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hazorat the Pervent in Mardu is hot fire.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Anyone know why the Brewhaus is locked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cracker Baron
Dec 23, 2003

80s James Hetfield posted:

I was flirting with this idea in my standard fog deck a few months ago to eliminate Fevered Visions and replace with Trail of Evidence (When you cast an instant/sorcery investigate)

Since my deck is nothing but creatures just crapping out tons of Clue tokens though 12 Fogs, Anticipate, Counters, Glimmers and then winning with Mechanized Production on a Clue but Visions is just the better play so I abandoned it.

Do you mind linking your deck in the current version? Would love to possibly give it a shot.