Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

So the question I’m still not really clear on, which might have a complicated answer due to the size of the lineup, is: with all the various ways to increase a character’s power (weapon passives, levels, crystal levels, boards, summons, etc), what is the basic level of advancement I should try to get for a character before adding them to my active roster?

Eg, should I try and get crystal level 90 and X MLB’d weapons before someone becomes worth using? To what extent and when does filling someone’s board out become mandatory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Crystal level 90 is basically required. All summon boards too. Those stats are just too much of a boost.

All but maybe 2 characters need every weapon MLBed (save for burst) to be really viable for the most difficult content. BT weapons are good, but i dont think they're as vital as some people say. They do make fights a lot easier.

You can probably get by with just FR/LD boards for everyone. Force enhancements are very important now as well and kinda limited in supply just like enhancement points sadly.

I love this game, but power creep now is truly nuts, and once your roster is built, basically every fight but the last five hardest ones will immediately roll over and die.

ps get Cor. Get Cor.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

That’s good to know, thanks!

Is there a reliable way to get my hands on the largest size of upgrade crystal? That seems to be a bottle neck for me right now.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

I love this game, but power creep now is truly nuts, and once your roster is built, basically every fight but the last five hardest ones will immediately roll over and die.

Sadly, it's because they've hit that point where they're catering to whales. Shinryu and Force Weapons were the dumbest thing they ever did, but it gives whales something to chase.

Roach Warehouse posted:

That’s good to know, thanks!

Is there a reliable way to get my hands on the largest size of upgrade crystal? That seems to be a bottle neck for me right now.

Do the Co-Op Events. When you set up your party, for the top slot, tap the button above your roster, choose to sort by Boosted, and put a Boosted character in Slot 1. That's all you need in your party, so just move forward to do the mission, and when it asks if you want to be a Host or Guest, in the bottom left corner, it will say Just For Fun. Tap that, change it to Wanted: Boosted Characters, then choose Guest, and let it pair you up with 2 others.

It doesn't matter that your character isn't optimal, because odds are prety high you'll be paired with two other players who are, and they'll carry you. Depending on the Boosted characters for a Co-Op, you probably won't even get a turn before it's over.

Of course, you'll have to fight your way though the lower tier Co-Ops, because people are farming the highest tier (usually Chaos, sometimes Lufenia. Nobody (sane) farms Shinryu, they just beat it once, then use Skip Tickets). This means you generally won't find anyone hosting the lower levels. Your best bet is to either leave those set to Just For Fun and bring your best character (Boosted or not), or to set up a party of your 3 best characters, bring a powerful Friend, swap out your weakest character for the Friend, and go ham. and do the best you can. (Thanks, franks, for reminding me that you can't bring a Friend to Co-Op!)

You'll get the most Co-Op Tokens per run from the highest tier, and you'll get more for using Boosted characters. You can exchange those in the Co-Op Shops for the T7 Crystals needed to level cap characters. And since they're no longer limited in quantity per Co-Op event, the only limit is how much farming you can take.

Those should probably be your priority right now. The limited items are pretty good, but you should get your roster leveled up first.

Also, once in a while, a Co-Op Shop will have Enhancement Points, so you'll want to grab those first, since they're hard to come by without whaling for the Premium Mog Pass (or minnowing for the Regular Mog Pass).

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 15, 2023

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

Kheldarn posted:

Your best bet is to either leave those set to Just For Fun and bring your best character (Boosted or not), or to set up a party of your 3 best characters, bring a powerful Friend, swap out your weakest character for the Friend, and go ham.

This is all great advice, but I just wanted to point out that you can’t bring a friend to co-op, even if you do it solo. They are stupid easy to do eventually with your best 3, but could be an issue early on.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

franks posted:

This is all great advice, but I just wanted to point out that you can’t bring a friend to co-op, even if you do it solo. They are stupid easy to do eventually with your best 3, but could be an issue early on.

Whoops! I forgot about that. Edited my post to correct it. Thanks!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kheldarn posted:

Also, once in a while, a Co-Op Shop will have Enhancement Points, so you'll want to grab those first, since they're hard to come by without whaling for the Premium Mog Pass (or minnowing for the Regular Mog Pass).

Worth noting that in the past the best use for Daily Points were different, but in general you want to save those for Enhancement points nowdays as those are the current harshly finite bottleneck; technically there's worth in EX tokens if you're missing that particular piece of a character's kit, but as a new player you've got huge swaths of upgrade materials, gems, and draw tickets locked away in the Lost Chapters, crystals/orbs/gil are infinitely farmable through co-ops or cactuar stages.

As far as what equipment, bursts are currently only semi-essential (most characters like having a fully upgraded burst+ now in the era of Everyone Gets One, but only a good 20% at most need it to function, and most of those are follow-up based DPS or really bonkers supporters) and you can get the boosts for the S1, S2, and EX through tokens (though ex does eat into the enhancement point fund) so you generally want to aim for LD at the least and probably FR too out of the gacha if you want a permanent usable fixture.

Crystal Level 90 and character level 90 is non-negotiable, though, along with summon boards and the LD/FR branches of character boards.

The S1/S2/EX branches of the character boards offer passive boosts but they just Make Number Bigger; LD and FR offer extension passives which either boost or sometimes even actively upgrade the power of those skills.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 16, 2023

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Why is Crystal Level 90 so important? I don't have an Ultima weapon and I don't see myself obtaining one any time soon. I think I got my first invested character to CL90 but everyone else has been sitting at 89.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Once you unlock the Ultima Missions, you’ll gain Ultima orbs for getting characters to Crystal Level 90 and for using characters on Lufenia difficulty fights for the first time (up to 3 per unique fight of that difficulty), and that would be your biggest and best source of Ultima Orbs that you need to create and upgrade Ultima Weapons. And Ultima Weapons are a *huge* jump up in terms of power from even Burst weapons.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Looks like that's next on my list of things to work towards. Thanks!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Vanrushal posted:

Why is Crystal Level 90 so important? I don't have an Ultima weapon and I don't see myself obtaining one any time soon. I think I got my first invested character to CL90 but everyone else has been sitting at 89.

Technically the big ones are 75 (unlocks call abilities), 85 (EX upgrade) and 88 (Bloom skill upgrade), but 90 is just an easier shorthand and orange numbers feel good.

That said, once you start being able to hit the 90 with people, as stated above, you get the currency for those UWs pretty quick, at least at level 0. Upgrading them is much more of a nugget sink.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: SLIDES TIME! :siren:

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Wow! Looks like I picked a generous time to start playing this game. I am absolutely gonna go broke with some of these upcoming characters though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tonberry Troupe has their Crystal Quests page up now.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I'm just happy the power creep has reached a point where the level 200 lufe fights can be auto battled.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
End of service, February 29th 2024. :sigh:

https://x.com/DissidiaFFOO/status/1729711814836187442?s=20

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Another one bites the dust :(

Man, this sucks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

What if they release Rikku and Red in the next two months.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

What if they release Rikku and Red in the next two months.

It's too late. Even if they add T.G. Cid, it won't save it. Shinryu and FR are what really killed the game.

kittenchops
Jul 24, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

It's too late. Even if they add T.G. Cid, it won't save it. Shinryu and FR are what really killed the game.

Power creep killed the game! They really ramped up the numbers after the first year and never slowed down.

I had fun for the 3-4 years I played it. I'm sad to see it go even if I don't play it any longer.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Man I just heard about the EOS, I haven't played it in quite a while but I did when it first came out.

I was under the impression that it was still going strong, what happened? Square is loving ruthless on cutting their mobile games.

Did it feel like it had run it's course or did this come out of nowhere?

I say this as a concerned player of the Octopath mobile game.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

haha, phew, another EOS keeping me from reinstalling

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Combo posted:

Man I just heard about the EOS, I haven't played it in quite a while but I did when it first came out.

I was under the impression that it was still going strong, what happened? Square is loving ruthless on cutting their mobile games.

Did it feel like it had run it's course or did this come out of nowhere?

I say this as a concerned player of the Octopath mobile game.

The game wasn't doing enough to bait whales; the last numbers I'd seen from sensortower were putting DFFOO at grossing about $100k per month, which is about the same numbers that First Soldier (the horribly doomed FF7 battle royale) was pulling when it got shitcanned.

As for "feeling" that way, it had been in a powercreep spiral for about a year, year and a half where numbers were just getting higher and higher with no real added depth, combined with boss gimmicks that largely boiled down to "bring the banner character or have a bad time".

Sayara
May 10, 2009

kittenchops posted:

Power creep killed the game! They really ramped up the numbers after the first year and never slowed down.

I had fun for the 3-4 years I played it. I'm sad to see it go even if I don't play it any longer.

I wouldn't have minded obtainable power creep, but requiring bursts and FRs just got me to let go of the game around Kamlanaut FR, coming back around 6 months later and realizing the game still sucks. Lufenias were really fun though, I don't think I missed a fight when those were the hardest difficulties.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Should have assumed this was coming when they went back on only doing Burst weapons for a titles Main Character/Villain.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Should have assumed this was coming when they went back on only doing Burst weapons for a titles Main Character/Villain.

Nah. That was planned from the start. The limit was just to build hype for them in an attempt to get whales to spend, and get non-whales to succumb to FOMO and spend.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
I thought it was a fun game that ran its course. Never whaled but bought a few mog passes. These things don’t last forever but I don’t mind having spent a few bucks for the time I got out of it.

kittenchops
Jul 24, 2013

Sayara posted:

I wouldn't have minded obtainable power creep, but requiring bursts and FRs just got me to let go of the game around Kamlanaut FR, coming back around 6 months later and realizing the game still sucks. Lufenias were really fun though, I don't think I missed a fight when those were the hardest difficulties.

That was the same for me. I did not like the mechanics of the FR weapons at all after I got one. Then I figured I would just ignore the fights that require FR weapons but the difficulty in the game ranges from braindead super easy to "I need to carefully plan out the next 15 minutes of moves so I don't make a single mistake and get totally wiped". Anything other than the highest difficulty feels unbalanced and easy. So I got incredibly bored and stopped logging in within a week.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
The FR era felt like a misstep, but I thought the Force Echo era was going much better. I wish they’d loosened up a little more on ingots for the Burst weapons, but I was having fun.

Makes me a little nauseous that FFBE lives on while DFFOO and FFRK are gone.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

BGrifter posted:

This is the true evil

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

BGrifter posted:

Never has there been a clearer illustration of just unjust the world is.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Final Fantasy Brave Exvius: Have No Fear, We Got Stories For Years!

I think at the rate FFBE's going, it'll outlive Ever Crisis. I think it's still making stupid amounts of money.

EDIT: Maybe if they brought over Fina, Rain, and Lasswell, DFFOO might have survived a bit longer.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 1, 2023

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
gotta be honest i don't totally understand the hate for ffbe. it's a totally fine game that probably had entirely too many weird collabs, but it's still pretty solid. i also enjoy wotv a good deal though the game really needs to be a bit more accessible for new players.

as for dffoo i played it mostly for the years it's been out and honestly i saw the writing on the wall as the gameplay got more and more stale. shinryu especially was guilty of it--either play a counter tank that lets the enemy take turns after disabling all of your turn rates up and counter attack to death, or play a support that keeps getting turns over the enemy and build the fr gauge and kill the boss during force time using whatever character had the highest damage which for me was almost always astos (who was incredibly broken) .

between it and ffrk it's a drat shame they're closing shop. dffoo had a pretty repetitive loop to it but was incredibly generous (i bought a costume pack once years in) and i really enjoyed the fact every single character as voiced. and ffrk obviously was the best of the three games for the goofy multiplayer (and the legendary fungah sticker) and the fact you could make a party out of a bunch of different series characters and make it work. record keeper got done really dirty, i can't imagine the costs for it were even remotely that high

that all being said rip, decent game early that got real stale as it went on, had fun with it for the most part!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Servaetes posted:

gotta be honest i don't totally understand the hate for ffbe. it's a totally fine game that probably had entirely too many weird collabs, but it's still pretty solid. i also enjoy wotv a good deal though the game really needs to be a bit more accessible for new players.

The hate for FFBE is almost entirely for the same reasons that it's successful, which are also the reasons it's inaccessible to newer blood: hyperaggressive monetization of the gacha, finetuned to an expert level to perfectly balance the feeling of FOMO with the curve of powercreep. It's not pay to win but f2ps have to thread a camel through the eye of a needle to get through endgame content and whales are expected to drop a full pity on each and every banner for a comfortable ride, which is the exact specification to make a gacha function for roughly infinite years in the way things like PAD or GBF have.

In other words, it's not hate for Exvius in particular so much as the company who makes it; Gumi is unfortunately a master at their craft and manages to keep doing what it does even after the Brave Frontier Reddit scandal (tl;dr: the subreddit mods were blatantly getting kickbacks in the form of premium currency to be positive PR for the game, which got those mods banned for TOS violations when it got unearthed)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I thought I heard that FFBE was suffering it's age more and more the last year or two and was relying on the FF Tactics gacha to subsidize it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

lol

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
End of an era. :sigh:

Last call to log in and get screenshots of memories. Game shuts down in roughly 5 hours 40 mins from this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wish they would release these games with the online stuff disabled or peer to peer only, after they're dead; I'd love to gently caress around in the game with everything available. See how strong the worst character can get with full build up.