Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

I once received someone else's hate mail as CSPAM IK

she (the mod in question),

Hahahaha, I'd forgotten about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I can't believe Chokes died and the LP is being run by Tyranthraxus now.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can't believe Chokes died and the LP is being run by Tyranthraxus now.

It was him all along fluffy. Everyone loves a clown.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Straight White Shark posted:

That could be anybody!

it was lastgirl that was the mod in question btw. it's extra funny because she was actually an IK

she was unironically a shining example to us all and I still think it's hilarious she got someone so pissed they flamed an enby that was just standing there minding their own business

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Secret of the Silver Blades, Chapter 3: Knives Out 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Wow. Rude.

The hell are the Fire Knives doing in this town? It's out in the middle of nowhere!

STAB

Oh poopie.

You immune to poison, li'l lady?

Let's just say I've, like, drank a lot of sunscreen in my time.

Welcome back to the Gold Box Adventures! Yes, we just got jumped by a Fire Knife squad. They're back—and they're BAD.

quote:

IN A WORLD

ONE FIRE KNIFE

WILL BE IN THE WRONG PLACE, AT THE WRONG TIME

Sure, come out to New Verdigris, we'll ambush a party, have a few laughs. :rolleyes:

I... don't think that's how it happened.

It's how I remember it, and that's all that matters to me. :colbert:

Now that the cat's out of the bag re: the Black Circle, assassins are randomly showing up in town. We can go back to the Well to heal safely, but as always, there's a new wrinkle. Apparently, the Fire Knives learned from the last time they stepped out in front of a bulldozer, because they now poison on a successful hit. It's a problem, because hauling someone back to the temple or the Well for Neutralize Poison is a pain in the rear end, and the Knives usually come in parties of six. There's a restaurant joke someone in there, but damned if I can find it.

Good thing we kept these from New Phlan!

Is it just me, or does this seem even stupider than usual?

Right this way, sir! Your table is ready.

Wow! And for six people, too! That's what I call service.

Which is why it's working.

Oh, there it is. Whew.

Well, while we're here, let's check in with the old timer!

Journal Entry 54 posted:

The well of knowledge was the heart of the old town. It controlled the gateways that allowed travel throughout the valley. Also, it served the old town by providing its enigmatic messages. The town used it but they did not build it. It was there when the first men entered the valley and it is said that it will remain all else is gone.

You got a flair for the dramatic, you know that?

What can I say? It's a talent.

We should leave soon. If the Black Circle's goons find us here, it might put our new friend in danger.

Friend? I'm a friend now?

It's still pending vote.

Good enough for me. Listen, the Black Circle has a base in the magic shop. I've seen them going in and out all hours of the night. 'Course, I don't actually go in there myself. Best not to poke the bear.

How many people are we talking about here?

zzz

I feel like he's doing it on purpose at this point.

zzzlolzzz

(Black Circle Magic Shop and Definitely Not a Secret Lair, Ltd.)

Oh. Well, I guess this isn't the right place.

WOULD YOU JUST GET IN THERE

Thanks for coming to our shop! Can I help you?

Yeah, drop the act.

...?

Like, we know you're evil? You tried to kill us?

I've... been working the counter all day.

Not you, specifically. Just, y'know, the general you.

I am so confused right now.

Here, I'll explain. *draws sword*

What do you lunatics want with us

BLARLGJDL

We really gotta start drawing up a Plan B before we do this stuff.

I dunno, we should probably start with Plan A.

Touché.

The Black Circle have set up a magic shop in town and charge stupid amounts of money for mid-tier items. That's reason enough to barge into the shop and cave in their heads, but add the fact that they're trying to kill us, and it's time to throw down.

Note there's no subtle way to do this. None. No fast talking, no back doors, no sewers to sneak through. There is one way to conclude your business here, and it's right through the guards at the front door. Just this once, we're playing to the party's strength.

Unfortunately, those guards are Black Circle Lords, and they are some next-level poo poo. Besides the massive HP, multiple strikes, and magic gear, they are comparable level to us if not greater. Which means a lot of this:

dammit

dammit

DAMMIT

As usual, Hold Person is going to get us out of this jam, but there's a catch. Because the Lords are such high level fighters, their resist rolls are sterling. It's going to be really hard to stick HP on them. Like, dark elf champion levels of hard. Of course, Chokes Has Played the Game Before™, so I came in with Shanna and both mages packing a ton of Hold Person spells. We could toss fireballs to get us out of this, but those Lords have a LOT of hit points, and we would rather they be dead ASAP than in two or three rounds. This is merely the first fight we'll be getting into, and we won't be able to rest until we've cleaned the entire place out.

Still, we do (eventually) win the fight. I don't think I'm spoiling anything when I say we're going to see these little bastards early and often. Also, keep in mind we're still in patchwork magic gear. We have to hit AC 0 and deal 72+ HP to just drop one of them, and our THAC0 is real dicey right now. Our fighters are there solely to block. Our spellcasters have to get the job done.

Uh... I think they know we're here.

Imagine that.

I'm pickin' up good vibrations

!

GOOOOD, GOOOOOOD, GOOOOOOD GOOD VIBRATIONS~

You ever wondered how she knows songs from Earth?

What's "Earth?"

Yeah, never mind.

The good news is, once we floor their guards, we can gank their armor! This is the pivotal point for early Blades. As disgustingly outclassed as we are by Black Circle Lords, we can nevertheless build our team back up with their leftover pieces. Of gear, I mean. You can't equip a spare arm. That I know of.

We move our troops to here and launch an all out assault. Victory is practically guaranteed!

A plot against the town! We made it here just in time.

*kicks down door*

Okay, looks like you have line of sight and range. Roll to attack.

:csgo:

Miss!

Man, this is what I get for using melee range units. Wait, what was that?

HEATHER CARES NOT FROM WHENCE THE BLOOD FLOWS

Really should've gone with psykers at a distance. I mean, that's just bad strategy.

:hmmyes:

(Residence of Marcus the Wizard. Hours 10AM-4PM.)

Okay. This time, let's not rush in. Sternn, you can detect traps. See anything?

Hmm. *tap tap*

*peer*

*samples floor dust*

Ew.

Should be fine—

Awesome. Let's roll.

...if you like getting blown up!

sternnnnn

Just loving peachy. I had a good scam going here. You just had to bust everything up.

Wait a sec. Haven't we seen you before?

Nope. First time I've ever seen you dweebs.

:thunkher:

Last time, too.

See ya, suckers!

*bamf*

I swear we've met that guy...

Less talky! More casty!

Marcus here is in charge of the Black Circle, and he's put a giant magical land mine just inside his door, which is probably really inconvenient if you have to go out and get groceries or something. Anyway, this trap can't be avoided, and you have to come in here to advance the plot. It is but one of the many dick moves Blades will pull before we're done here.

In his place, LleMarcus will leave behind some fire giants, a medusa, and a whole horde of chicken monsters. The first thing we need to do is clean out those cockatrice. Remember how basilisks and medusae use stone gaze?

All right. Guess it's murder time.

I don't know... Cockatrice have been known to turn people to stone.

I have a mirror equipped. I'll be fine.

*peck*

Ow!

...I'm going to have to fix that, aren't I?

...and that.

I mean, it''s kinda your job.

That doesn't mean I want to.

These monsters really put the "cock" in Cockatrice. Unlike monsters with stone gaze, mirrors won't cancel their abilities. One scratch, and it's time to save vs. petrification. Botch that, and you get a brand new statue at no extra cost! I'll remind you that Stone to Flesh can induce shock on a failed CON roll and kill your character anyway. Did you guess we're going to be up to our eyeballs in these things later on? You didn't? Do you even pay attention to the things I write? :(

Backing up the cockatrice are fire giants, who you may remember from PoR. We didn't really talk about them other than their tendency to carry around ridiculous amounts of money/jewelry. It turns out they also huck boulders at your head for sizeable missle damage. I don't know where they're getting them from. The ground, maybe? It's kinda funny thinking about these guys just ripping chunks out of the ground and/or walls and beaning Rezen upside the head.

Anyway, once you work through the cockatrices, the rest of this is academic. The real problem is that we're hurting pretty bad after the previous two fights, and one boulder at the wrong time can have disasterous consequences. Like I said, early game Blades is rough. We're still trying to scrape our gear together, and the game doesn't pull any punches. It gets somewhat easier later on, so we just have to hang in there.

Also, this is the last we'll see of LlewMarcus in this game. That's right: he blows you up, dumps some monsters on you, and bamfs out successfully. We'll see him again before the quadriligy is over, but as far as this game's concerned, he won. :thurman:

Oooof.

You said it, short stuff. Cleanin' that place out was a handful.

Like, look on the bright side! We can help ourselves to the magic stuff!

And sell it back to the townspeople at exorbitant prices.

What? No one in this town has any money. Who would you possibly sell them to?

Good job getting rid of the Circle. I never liked those guys.

I hate you.

I get that a lot. We'll take it from here!

And there it is. Once again we're left holding the bag.

Well, it's not like we can blame them. We had the same idea.

Hey, these prices are exorbitant! :mad:

We'll get you a discount since you're the town saviors.

Really?

Nah.

Beating a certain horned someone's troops unlocks the magic shop! With the citizens of New Verdigris in charge, all the items from before plus a little extra are available, and at prices we can actually afford. To be honest, it's not super helpful. Theoretically speaking, you can keep your mages permanently loaded with Wands of Magic Missles after you get through the first third of the game, but we're going to be resting a lot, and Magic Missles are cheap to memorize. Well, at least we don't have to worry about the Fire Knives anymore.

And with that, we've cleared New Verdigris. That's two cities this crew has rescued from evil forces, however accidentally. Now that we have a base for our adventures, it's time to get out there and start investigating the :siren: EVIIIIIIIIL :siren:. So tune in next time, where you'll hear Sternn say:

What? We don't have anything prepared?

Well, tune in next time anyway!

Next Time: Ruining Everything

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 5, 2021

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
You have to be pretty good at the game to clear out Marcus early on. It’s convenient, but him having higher level guards is a pain. At least the gear is nice.

Also, I think this is the first Gold Box game to feature difficulty levels. Chokes is playing on Veteran if I’m not mistaken- level 3/5. You want a real challenge- play on Champion (5/5) where all enemies have top HP (140 for BC Lords iirc) and frequent bad tactics. Or if you want to curb stomp fools, lower the difficulty to Novice like I used to do. Cockatrices will still stone you quite often either way. :(

Priam never apologizes for Marcus, though he should have more stories to tell. The old man too, if you haven’t guessed. And the tavern. Chokes really should be visiting the tavern often.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
That unavoidable landmine is rough.

Also yeah, at some point save-or-die/suck spells just become irrelevant in 1e/2e D&D since there's no way for the caster to affect the chance of making the save(say by high stats or high level), instead it's all a flat number defined by the defender's level/hit die.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

As for giants and their magical ability to produce rocks out of thin air, IIRC the editions of D&D that make them rock hucking monsters generally say they're carrying them around in backpacks. They don't just carry rocks in them, but in D&D giants just carry around sacks of rocks. Which I think makes them less truly boulders and more something conveniently sized for a giant to throw, like a rock sized roughly in the neighborhood of a baseball (proportionately). If that suddenly sounds a lot less threatening, think about it this way: they're hucking chunks of rock roughly the size of large bowling balls at roughly Major League fastball speeds. That'll hurt if it hits.

I may have spent too much time thinking about giants throwing rocks. :spergin:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Commander Keene posted:

As for giants and their magical ability to produce rocks out of thin air, IIRC the editions of D&D that make them rock hucking monsters generally say they're carrying them around in backpacks. They don't just carry rocks in them, but in D&D giants just carry around sacks of rocks. Which I think makes them less truly boulders and more something conveniently sized for a giant to throw, like a rock sized roughly in the neighborhood of a baseball (proportionately). If that suddenly sounds a lot less threatening, think about it this way: they're hucking chunks of rock roughly the size of large bowling balls at roughly Major League fastball speeds. That'll hurt if it hits.

I may have spent too much time thinking about giants throwing rocks. :spergin:

If it helps, this all makes a lot of sense. If a humanoid archer carries arrows or a slinger carries bullets, why can't huge giants carry what to them are stony grapefruits and what are to use having a small comet dropped on us.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Chokes McGee posted:

You can't equip a spare arm. That I know of.

Yeah, we've still got a fair few years until Planescape: Torment.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hi, all. Progress is temporarily halted since I'm in the middle of an intense job hunt. Sometimes when I post stuff like this I get an update out in like the next two days, but it'll probably later rather than sooner. Thanks!

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Good luck with the hunt!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Secret of the Silver Blades, Chapter 4: Ruining Everything

Welcome back to the Gold Box Adventures! Today we'll be exploring the ruins outside of—

MAMMA MIA

This is our introduction to a brand new Gold Box feature: 64x64 maps! Blades is all about this poo poo, so we better get comfy with it. Still, it presents an exciting opportunity to explore larger areas stuffed chock full of content and hahahahahaha nooooope can't do it. It's all copy-and-paste dead space with maybe 2-3 events per map if we're lucky. It's frustrating, boring, and completely awful. Welcome to Secret of the Silver Blades!

No, still not that one.

As Mayor Priam mentioned, there's arrows scattered here and there throughout the ruins that will guide you back to town. If I remember correctly, you can also (L)ook a bit and find someone to hitch a ride back with. Of course, I always remember correctly, and nothing I say is a lie, especially what I just said in this sentence.

Ugh. Where are we?

The ruins!

Um, no doi? Do we have a map or something?

*fumble* *rustle*

Dang. That's not a map, it's a Shield +1.

If only!

!

Journal Entry 57 posted:

Marcus, our plans proceed as well as can be expected. It is unfortunate that the Red Dragon has taken the Well Of Knowledge. The Red Wizards may support us if they think we can offer the well. We will keep our real target to ourselves. We are using a contact in Phlan as a middleman. In turn, he has sent a clerk to take care of communications. She has no knowledge or our real intent.

We are running out of some spell components, especially bat guano and sulphur. When is the next shipment due! Maintain contact by standard means. One final note. Rumor indicates that the mayor has brought together a new force to clear the mines and the well. We are concerned. Reply with the information as soon as possible.

Oh man. I feel sorry for the paper pusher that has to handle that.

Yeah. You'd have to be an idiot to take that job after seeing what happened to Phlan.

Shanna?

Yes?

I found this other letter flying around. Maybe you want it?

Hmm.

A second letter posted:

Phinnegan,

If you want guano that bad, go stand under a bat butt for a few hours. I'll get to it when I get to it.

Eat a bag of dicks,
LlewMarcus

It's good to see our opposition has the same level of maturity as us.

Hee hee. Butt.

Looks like there's an abandoned mine shaft in here.

Great. Let's get in and get this over with.

Well, we did it everyone. It was a long journey, but we've closed the mine for good.

Like, all we did was show up?

Yes, our adventure is finally at an end.

You know saying that doesn't mean it's true, right?

Nothing I say is a lie, especially what I just said in this sentence.

Hmm.

Just in case mapping a 64x64 grid wasn't irritating enough: there's a decoy mine in this area. It's not the mine we're looking for. It does nothing, leads nowhere, and is only here to confuse and piss us off. In other words, it's a perfect distillation of the whole Blades experience.

...but seriously, me saying something doesn't cause it to happen. That just doesn't make any sense.

What, like everything else we've seen does?

Here, I'll try it out. Just out in the middle of nowhere, with nothing around.

don't you do it

I'm gonna

don't you do it

I'm gonna

:catstare:

*clears throat* What are they going to put in these ruins? Dragons?

Where did they come from, how is this even possible

I don't know but stop doing it

Here's a random encouter: three Red Dragons. (Plus some minotaurs, which are the expendable grunts of this game, so who cares.) I want to stress again: it's random. We can just bump into red dragons while we're fumbling around in a huge maze. That's... that's really great.

We immediately bootleg Sternn out into the flat and fire off a Hold Monster. Because dragons are so dangerous, I actually limit Sternn's targets to two in order to increase the chances of it sticking. Hold Monster is a godsend. Since most things in this game are Fireball immune, it will continue to be our #1 spell for a while.

oh no

:supaburn:

Dragon charisma :ocelot::smaug:

Of course, they're still big deal monsters, so it's not guaranteed to stick. Sigh.

Still, that could've gone a lot worse.

Now to camp and (F)ix our par—

...I beg your pardon, game? Crocodiles? We were killing those easily back at the beginning of Bonds. It's really feast or famine around here, huh?

I don't know about these walls. They remind me a lot of the pit of Moander.

Sternn's very good at locating dangerous areas. What's the worst that could happen?

Ow! Jeez, whatever Sternn has is spreading.

It's called cha—

Oh, shut up.

—risma :ocelot::grin:

Rocks fall, no one dies. As you can see, this is an annoyance rather than a danger. Not worth talking about further, really.

Eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin', we gonna do what they say can't be done~

The hell is that coming from?

BAH GAWD THAT'S KENNY POWERS' MUSIC, WHAT'S HE DOIN' HERE

STONE COLD! STONE COLD! STONE COLD!

Moments like this make me wonder how we've managed to save anyone.

Moments like this make me wonder how we're still alive.

Banites are poking around in this area, too.

Fortunately, the fights are nearly trivial. A little bit of Hold Person, a little bit of murdering the helpless, and we're back on the road.

Hmm. Something of interest here.

What is it?

Dunno. It's just a big red X.

Generally speaking, those are areas you don't want to go into.

Which is exactly why we're doing it.

I can't really say I'm surprised.

MY TREASURE, MINE, YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

I WILL EXTRACT THE TREASURE FROM YOUR HOLLOWED OUT CORPSE

That doesn't even make sense, Rezen. Did he, like, swallow the treasure, or..?

Look, I've long since moved on. I think it's time you did too.

Here, we've stumbled across an adult red dragon and a few of his Hill Giant goons. Hilariously, this is way less of a challenge than a typical random encounter. Hill giants hit harder than minotaurs and have more HP, but if they're close enough they can't throw boulders, there's not really anything remarkable about them. Hold Monster, kill, gank treasure. Nothing too exciting.

...including the treasure. Still, it's not bad. We all need magic shields, a ring of protection will be much more useful in this game than the previous ones, and Shanna gets a magic weapon. Beats a kick in the junk.

Beating this scripted encounter unlocks a portal back to the well. We have zero reason to return to this area of the ruins. It's mostly a courtesy to allow us to rest and recharge.

While we're here, let's pay a visit to Grandpa Backstory and see what he has to say.

Well now. If it isn't the saviors of the town.

Like, you don't have to make air quotes when you say that.

Fine, fine. I'll admit, you got a certain kind of charm.

Yeah? What kind?

I'd rather not say in polite company. Anyway, here's a lil' something left over from a relative of mine.

Journal Entry 7 posted:

'My uncle adventured along the shores of the Moonsea. He was a warrior who ventured on many a great quest. He feared nothing - nothing that is except dragons. Though he never met one, he was terrified by the possibility. This scroll was his insurance. When he died - from a knife wound gotten in a bawdy house - he passed it on to me. Seeing as how I'm unlikely to survive a dragon with this scroll I thought you might like it.

Omigod, you tell the best stories. :allears:

Well, thank you.

Can I call you grandpa?

No.

How about uncle?

Don't push it.

I told you chatting with old people is a good thing! We get a Scroll of Protection from Dragon's Breath for our troubles, which goes into Rezen's inventory and is immediately forgotten about. Seriously, how I am so bad at this game and yet still beating them? Also, I enjoy how old guy's uncle was a proto-Allstar. That's a legit funny story. He's got a lot of good things to say.

Back into the ruins we go! This time, we're aiming in a more southwardly direction.

Hey, what does it mean when someone draws a massive skull and crossbones on this room?

It means we let Heather go first.

CHAAAAAAAAAR—

...rge?

I dunno how you guys didn't see this coming.

Oh, believe me, I did. ZAPPO

Rezen 2, dragonkind 0. :smug:

Well now! This is more like it.

Dibs on the armor.

Dibs on the ring.

Hey, wait a min—

Dibs on the cloak!

oh come on you don't even use magic

Bigger dragon means bigger treasure! This fight is one-sided rocket tag: either our mages go first and Hold Monster successfully, or we eat fire breath to the face for 88 damage and have to restart. The risk/reward ratio here is nevertheless heavily in our favor.

We also get... this thing? I think it does something on one of the quest maps. It may even unlock a major checkpoint! Who knows, because the game sure as poo poo isn't telling us!

And a portal afterwards. Let it not be said that Blades doesn't have some mercy. It's not an unfair game, really. Just boring.

Welp, back to Old Guy!

Didn't expect you back so soon.

Just stopping by to listen to your stories! You know. Like the helpful people we are.

You want more loot, huh?

Sternn, that's awful. He's offering us his hospitality.

Good news, then. I got more loot.

Yes, we're certainly helpful people and always willing to listen.

They're influencing you in all the wrong ways.

I'm painfully aware.

DIBS ON THE CLOAK

...why would anybody else want it?

Seriously, we got armor that's way better.

Oh my gods, you guys are so ann—oh.

?

So that's what that feels like.

Can confirm.

Journal Entry 39 posted:

'My grandpappy was a paladin out near Cormyr, in the days before King Azoun. Family's come down a bit since then, but make no nevermind. He was beloved of a noble lady. She was a warrior maiden, namesake of Azoun's daughter Nacacia. Anyway, she kept trying to attract him, tie him down and so on—

Wow. TMI.

Shush.

Journal Entry 39 posted:

—in turn, he would go on longer and dangerous quests.

'Nacacia took this in stride and eventually gave him this cloak as a present, saying that this way he could be around and elsewhere at the same time. My dad was their child and passed the cloak down to me. I think that it's too useful to keep as an heirloom - and none of my kids deserve it - so put it to good use.'

Thanks!

Welcome. Now scram, I got a nap with my name all over it.

Holy cow, this dude is loaded! A Cloak of Displacement is a big deal, especially now that we have two of them. I love it when a plan comes together :clint:

Okay, back to the ruins. Surely we can find a way to finally get this adventure off the launch pad. Narrator: *knowing look to the camera*

Are you sure we're not just wandering around in circles?

Of course not. I've got... an angle.

What we need should be through this door.

Ah! We've finally found the mines?

(Visitor's Center. Hours 10AM-4PM.)

We just go in here and ask for directions!

...um...

Uh, hello? Can we get some service in here? :rolleyes:

*record scratch*

YOU JERKS MADE US SCRATCH OUR RECORD

KIIIIIIIIILL

This is the worst welcome center I've ever been to.

Next Time: Old Familiar Faces

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Question for you, narrator...

Are you working with pre-made maps, using an auto-map programme or drawing your own you mad bastard?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, these ruins are one of the more frustrating parts of the game. I remember parts of them well. The event where Townsmen approach and offer to escort you back to town is something of which you reminded me. It does happen, it happened to me a few times.

Bat guano and sulfur are the main material components of the D&D fireball spell, for those who didn't know. I can testify they smell quite good in the morning, very much like victory actually. :)

The random encounters in the Ruins pissed me off a lot. Unpredictable, frequently above my level, and always a pain. Dragons were infrequent, thankfully.

I often grinded the old man's stories early in the game specifically for that Scroll. It was useful. The Cloak too.

Spoilers for those who have not played the game- The Well will provide maps to specific spots in the Ruins that are game important if you feed it gems. The first time you get a map to an important game artifact the Well says you will need later- the Amulet Chokes found. I forget exactly what it does too. Second time you feed the Well, you get a map to the local Black Circle HQ (the old admin building), and third the Mines. If I recall correctly. I usually fed the Well a lot of gems at this point. Eventually you will get the message "The Well Has Nothing Further For You." When that happens, you need to progress in the game before you can get more from the Well. Start the next game area and more Well hints become available. No, the game does not tell you this right off. Why would it?

Didn't that one priest we ganked back in the Well area mention a Tomb full of treasure in the north part of the Ruins also? Oh well, I'm not surprised this area is taking more than one update. Maybe we'll see that tomb next time.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

JustJeff88 posted:

Question for you, narrator...

Are you working with pre-made maps, using an auto-map programme or drawing your own you mad bastard?

I dropped a link in the second post about halfway through Bonds, so I don't blame you if you missed it. I'm using the maps over at Game Banshee since they're the best I've found.

I've done them before without maps, mind. There's just no point in that when I've already been through the game once.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Chokes McGee posted:

I dropped a link in the second post about halfway through Bonds, so I don't blame you if you missed it. I'm using the maps over at Game Banshee since they're the best I've found.

I've done them before without maps, mind. There's just no point in that when I've already been through the game once.

Thanks Chokes, I was simply curious. I am currently trying to play Wizardry 6, and I say with no shame whatever that I am using an auto-mapper. I am not Jacques Cartier; I have no desire to draw my own and probably couldn't do a good job at it if I tried.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

JustJeff88 posted:

Thanks Chokes, I was simply curious. I am currently trying to play Wizardry 6, and I say with no shame whatever that I am using an auto-mapper. I am not Jacques Cartier; I have no desire to draw my own and probably couldn't do a good job at it if I tried.

Right around the time I was mapping the Temple of the Mad God in Bard's Tale during a trial run is when I started asking: why am I doing this to myself?

And here I am, playing Gold Box, with no answer to that question still.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Chokes McGee posted:

Right around the time I was mapping the Temple of the Mad God in Bard's Tale during a trial run is when I started asking: why am I doing this to myself?

And here I am, playing Gold Box, with no answer to that question still.

I have similar sentiments about your LPs. :downsrim:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, in this game, this creation of the 80s... we're actively not saving the rec center?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FeyerbrandX posted:

Wait, in this game, this creation of the 80s... we're actively not saving the rec center?

Silver Blades was released in 1990, it is too cynical for that now.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Straight White Shark posted:

Silver Blades was released in 1990, it is too cynical for that now.

If this game only was released in 1989...

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
On the subject of maps, large areas like the ruins are in fact still 16x16, expanded by invisible teleporters and programming tricks. Similar methods were also used for some of the optional dungeons in CAB. Gold Box Companion's automapper is of little use in these places, since it shows the way they are actually laid out:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That would explain a lot. I had no idea they could do that. Thanks for the information.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Alpha3KV posted:

On the subject of maps, large areas like the ruins are in fact still 16x16, expanded by invisible teleporters and programming tricks. Similar methods were also used for some of the optional dungeons in CAB. Gold Box Companion's automapper is of little use in these places, since it shows the way they are actually laid out:

So are there teleporters to new 16x16 maps lodged in there? Because that is 100% not the entire ruins map.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

From what I see, there's segments that end in "doors" (actually teleporters) that start you at another segment. The unique encounter segments are slightly different, but instead of moving on a 64x64 map you're just going through the same couple segments several times. If you look at the map of the ruins you might notice there are several very visible repeating shapes, if nothing else.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Bump to keep this out of the archives. Believe it or not, I still plan to work on this thing.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
And I for one still plan to read and comment on it. Just so you know. :)

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I plan to be amused at Stern's actions. :allears:

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I eagerly await obscure references to hats and/or chainsaws that only followers of Chokes will understand.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I eagerly await obscure references to hats and/or chainsaws that only followers of Chokes will understand.

If you read all my LPs you'll understand them too!

basically what I'm saying is read my LPs, they're the only claim to relevance I have :negative:

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hey now! Some of us don't even have that!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, you are also a published author. So there's that. ...How long until we get the adventures of Rezen in novel form? I'll even settle for novellas.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
wut up, thread! Now that I have a breather from the job hunt, I should have the latest chapter out in the next day or two.

I'm excited. Are you excited? No? Meh. :geno:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

What? Of course I'm excited! I've got...

An angle.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

DGM_2 posted:

An angle.

*fuckin' books it*

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

DGM_2 posted:

An angle.

Because of the protracted wait? I guess I have an angle too then?

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Chokes McGee posted:

wut up, thread! Now that I have a breather from the job hunt, I should have the latest chapter out in the next day or two.

My apologies, I cannot show excitement lest my heart explodes.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Chokes McGee posted:

I am extremely excited every time you show a sign of life, let alone post an update. Thank you for all of the LPs you've done over the years, they've put smiles on my face and put me in a good enough mood to get me through some rough times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's always good to know the wasps haven't won the war yet. :v: