Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

He’s writing it and I think the devs have been letting him have soft approval on the raids themselves, since just before 5.3 there were anecdotes about him asking for more danmaku and wanting them to put in a mechanic where one player could wipe the whole raid by pressing a button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Tanks can get 2/3rds by carefully positioning the second boss in Puppet's Bunker, at least

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"If we die, we die" -- Yoko Taro

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

He's writing the scenario for the raid series.

he also knows that yoshi p mains BLM and probably made the ball-dodging hallway specifically to gently caress with him/black mages :v:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I am really interested to see if they let Taro get nutty with it in the last act, or the main FF14 supervisors are going to insist on a course correct to a happy (or least least bittersweet) ending. I would love one story arc in this game to end with a bleak desolate '... gently caress' and no cheery, optimistic vision of the future in sight

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Maybe it'll be the first instance of an alien presence successfully escaping the First, rather than the black hole it seems to be.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

re: playability of nier and drakengard

1) dont play any of the drakengard games except maybe 3
2) nier gestalt/replicant is mostly pretty ok
3) nier automata is excellent if you're bad at action games like DMC or Bayonetta. If you are good at those kind of games it is a total snoozefest to play. i loving suck at those games so i loved it but basically everyone I've ever read who is good at them hates it

Strife posted:

I knew the Yoko Taro games had a wild story but holy poo poo. I got halfway through NieR Automata before I gave up because it just feels like the game punishes you for wanting to play it, so I for one appreciate the summary.

Was Yoko Taro heavily involved with the FFXIV tie-in? From what I've read about that dude he doesn't seem like the type to do anything by half, so a minor guest appearance for a canned scenario wouldn't seem to suit him.

My summary leaves out like 99.99% of the actual wild poo poo in these games btw

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 15, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Chillgamesh posted:

1) dont play any of the drakengard games except maybe 3

If you're gonna play 3, emulation is starting to get it playing at acceptable framerates, otherwise you're in for a bad time

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Chillgamesh posted:

3) nier automata is excellent if you're bad at action games like DMC or Bayonetta. If you are good at those kind of games it is a total snoozefest to play. i loving suck at those games so i loved it but basically everyone I've ever read who is good at them hates it

I'm good at platinum games and liked Automata :shrug:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Xad posted:

I'm good at platinum games and liked Automata :shrug:

Same. Being able to build different playstyles to swap at a whim via the chip system was fun, and breathed a lot of life into the game. Helped make up for the uninspired enemy design.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Well, I'm mediocre at DMC and thought 5's story sucked so much rear end that it drug the entire experience down despite the excellent gameplay. So maybe automata is actually right up my alley since it sounds like it reversed that polarity.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Nier 1 is rough around the edges but is such an inspired game overall, the remake(???) is going to be wonderful.

i think it's really fun that Square-Enix has two edgelords in residence in Taro and Ishikawa.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Finally got around to moving the MSQ along.

That Y'shtola has managed to *NOT* cause Alphinaud to spontaneously combust by the silent rage of a thousand exploding suns is nothing short of a miracle.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Chillgamesh posted:

My summary leaves out like 99.99% of the actual wild poo poo in these games btw

Please elaborate on the wild poo poo! I played the original Nier years ago and don't remember too much about it, except the twist that all the humans were actually androids and the enemies you fought were the souls of the humans who were supposed to inhabit the android bodies. My buddy tried Automata but didn't get much past the surface.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uoX5lTVLnM

:yokotaro:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cephas posted:

Nier 1 is rough around the edges but is such an inspired game overall, the remake(???) is going to be wonderful.

i think it's really fun that Square-Enix has two edgelords in residence in Taro and Ishikawa.

I’m still mad that it’s only brother nier. Papa nier is far superior.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You can just emulate the old western version at this point at least. It'll be nice to play Replicant in english for the first time.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
So I was thinking earlier in another thread about mind control and it occurred to me we may have an answer to the whole "what does it mean that Emet is tempered?" Namely: I hypothesize it's not that it renders him a brainwashed thrall or anything so much as it subtly bends the answer to all problems in his head as "well we can fix that by appealing to Zodiark!"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm still not convinced Emet-Selch was tempered. Yeah, he kinda shrugs off and says he is, but everything he does it still easily explained without it. And there's the that he acts completely differently than any other tempered being we meet.

Maybe aetherically he was, but his mind still seems his own, and that's part of it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Feel like that's been explicit for a long rear end time now, no?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm still not convinced Emet-Selch was tempered. Yeah, he kinda shrugs off and says he is, but everything he does it still easily explained without it. And there's the that he acts completely differently than any other tempered being we meet.

Maybe aetherically he was, but his mind still seems his own, and that's part of it.

Apparently everything Emet says is the truth, so if he was tempered, he was tempered.

Mordiceius posted:

I’m still mad that it’s only brother nier. Papa nier is far superior.

I still disagree with this. Dad Nier came our at the right time, it was right at the start of the Dad Game Boom, so that was new and interesting.

These days we've got too loving many Dad Games. But there aren't a whole lot of games that focus on a brother-sister dynamic, and honestly, I think that's a shame, I think we could use more games about caring about a girl of a similar age that doesn't have a sexual element.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Feel like that's been explicit for a long rear end time now, no?

Not really. When asks why he does something he literally just shrugs and says he's tempered. That's the only thing ever said on the topic.

Nobody else when tempered has that sort of clarity without some fanatical devotion. They're entirely devoted to their primal all day every day. Emet-Selch fucks off and does his own thing routinely. He basically takes a vacation in one of the short stories. He even says he tried to forget the whole thing and live life, but the frailty and weaknesses of the mortal races crushed that idea. None of his motivations need him to be mind controlled by Zodiark to fulfill.

And he gives Azem's stone to "Hythlodaeus" to give to the WoL. Maybe a contingent mercy to help put one of his last friends to peace, but still in direct opposition to Zodiark.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 16, 2020

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Not really. When asks why he does something he literally just shrugs and says he's tempered. That's the only thing ever said on the topic.

Nobody else when tempered has that sort of clarity without some fanatical devotion. They're entirely devoted to their primal all day every day. Emet-Selch fucks off and does his own thing routinely. He basically takes a vacation in one of the short stories. He even says he tried to forget the whole thing and live life, but the frailty and weaknesses of the mortal races crushed that idea. None of his motivations need him to be mind controlled by Zodiark to fulfill.

And he gives Azem's stone to "Hythlodaeus" to give to the WoL. Maybe a contingent mercy to help put one of his last friends to peace, but still in direct opposition to Zodiark.

Sorry, should have quoted the post since yours wasn't there when I hit submit, I meant I thought it was pretty explicit that emet wasn't mind controlled.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

is it though? we still don't really know jack poo poo about Zodiark himself, we barely even know what "darkness" is, other than change, perhaps. we know from the 5.4 stuff that tempering aligns your soul closer to the element of the primal - but what does that mean for a Darkness primal? and one so fuckin huge and ancient that maybe it doesn't even fall under the elemental structure.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think the simplest reason that he isn't tempered, would be that it would make him significantly less interesting as an antagonist and really cheapen his story. He's way more interesting if all of this was his free will.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

but is tempering a sundered being the same as tempering an unsundered being? it seems very possible to me that unsundered power would be capable of weathering the branding of their soul by an elemental force to enough of an extent to grant a significant but imperfect free will

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It could be that the dude who is obsessively focused on his memories of the time before he was tempered gets a little more leeway over time, considering memories are a key part of reversing tempering.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think the simplest explanation is just that Emet's soul isn't powerful enough for him to avoid being tempered by something as strong as Zodiark, but it is powerful enough to keep him from completely losing all sense of self and rational thought. Ga Bu was able to keep himself from going completely over to Titan, so it's demonstrably possible for someone to maintain some free will while tempered, even if they're being compelled otherwise. Emet's whole demeanor speaks of someone who's long since lost faith in what he's doing, but feels bound to keep pushing forwards, even if he rationally realizes the futility of doing so.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Isn't Emet tempered by Zodiark in the exact same way the WoL is tempered by Hydaelyn? We are Hydaelyn's servant and we act in her best interest and in the best interests of her world, and Emet is much the same but in Zodiark's name, but we retain our sense of self and aren't total zombies like the Drowned or the Dreamers.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Eox posted:

It could be that the dude who is obsessively focused on his memories of the time before he was tempered gets a little more leeway over time, considering memories are a key part of reversing tempering.

this actually makes a lot of sense. and tbh if your story has a dude who's whole gimmick is Speaking the Truth and he tells a direct lie that the narrative refuses to acknowledge, you're a poo poo writer

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
It could be more esoteric than what we usually think of as tempering. I think what E-S says is something like "[he is], and we all are, after a fashion," but Zodiark is kind of a different beast entirely. He might just mean that because Zodiark was used to rewrite the laws of the star, he (and everyone) abide by Zodiark's will in that whatever nonsense creation magic they used to be able to do now had limits or whatever to prevent another sound.

Then there's also the physical removal of Zodiark from our reality for x million years or whatever, so maybe that reduces the influence on him a little, too. But ultimately, doing the rejoinings and setting up empires to fail and all that is the path to summoning Big Z again, so he's still doing what tempered followers usually do -- it's just way more complicated than the gathering a bunch of crystals and murdering a few people in ritual power ups that we're used to.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kerrzhe posted:

is it though? we still don't really know jack poo poo about Zodiark himself, we barely even know what "darkness" is, other than change, perhaps. we know from the 5.4 stuff that tempering aligns your soul closer to the element of the primal - but what does that mean for a Darkness primal? and one so fuckin huge and ancient that maybe it doesn't even fall under the elemental structure.

We know exactly what darkness is - any collection of elemental aether aligned or polarized with darkness, using whatever term you like. There's nothing special about it. And since everything is aether, including everything the Ancients created, I doubt Zodiark wouldn't be made up of anything we're not used to.

Eimi posted:

I think the simplest reason that he isn't tempered, would be that it would make him significantly less interesting as an antagonist and really cheapen his story. He's way more interesting if all of this was his free will.

This is a big part of it. He's a compelling villain with flaws, motivations and weaknesses. Tempering and being controlled removes most of that.

Vermain posted:

I think the simplest explanation is just that Emet's soul isn't powerful enough for him to avoid being tempered by something as strong as Zodiark, but it is powerful enough to keep him from completely losing all sense of self and rational thought. Ga Bu was able to keep himself from going completely over to Titan, so it's demonstrably possible for someone to maintain some free will while tempered, even if they're being compelled otherwise. Emet's whole demeanor speaks of someone who's long since lost faith in what he's doing, but feels bound to keep pushing forwards, even if he rationally realizes the futility of doing so.

Emet is more powerful than anyone on the source, but Zodiark, being powered by half of that civilization, is magnitudes stronger than anything we've dealt with. But if chump-rear end primals that are summoned by a handful of dudes can complete temper a soul 7 times rejoined, Zodiark trying to temper Emet-Selch should have been complete.

Chillgamesh posted:

Isn't Emet tempered by Zodiark in the exact same way the WoL is tempered by Hydaelyn? We are Hydaelyn's servant and we act in her best interest and in the best interests of her world, and Emet is much the same but in Zodiark's name, but we retain our sense of self and aren't total zombies like the Drowned or the Dreamers.

There's no evidence to suggest we're tempered, other than we do good deeds. Unless Hydaelyn and Zodiark's tempering works observationally differently than the primals we deal with, there's no link there.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chillgamesh posted:

Considering how cagey Emet is about the WoL being tempered, despite that being the perfect thing to needle them with, I think the question of whether the WoL is tempered or not is still up in the air.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019

There's no evidence to suggest we're tempered, other than we do good deeds. Unless Hydaelyn and Zodiark's tempering works observationally differently than the primals we deal with, there's no link there.

As I recall, the usual argument is "WoL is clearly tempered by Hydaelyn because they're incapable of being tempered by anyone else." It does seem plausible, honestly.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

As I recall, the usual argument is "WoL is clearly tempered by Hydaelyn because they're incapable of being tempered by anyone else." It does seem plausible, honestly.

That's the echo. Ifrit posits early that he can't temper the WoL because we're already tempered, but we later learn it's because we have the echo, and echo users are in general immune to tempering.

Except the Ascians, apparently.

Zenos's theory is that the echo, or his resonant ability, allows one to overpower the will of a primal, and even bind them to your will instead.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

I think this argument doesn't hold water any more because it's been demonstrated that people can passively have the Echo and not know it, and such people are also immune to tempering

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
WE TOWER ABOVE THE GODS.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
it is kinda funny that the story is still actively revealing more information about the nature of the echo and tempering, thankfully in a skillful enough way that no one is screeching about retcons yet

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

YES bread posted:

it is kinda funny that the story is still actively revealing more information about the nature of the echo and tempering, thankfully in a skillful enough way that no one is screeching about retcons yet

I do internally, but I don't bring them up in discussions. Some of the new information released occasionally gives me pause to think they forgot something or changed it to make it fit.

It's not that I think retcon, but more that I have an unreasonable expectation that some of the theoretical and metaphysical aspects of things like that were completely, 100% described ahead of time. Some of the larger arcs are definitely planned ages in advance. Lahabrea's Praetorium scene was entirely different in light of the events of Shadowbringers, but some of the smaller details were possibly not up to that level of writing or scrutiny. I don't see any constructive reason to bring them up when discussing them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the man is tempered, and i'm glad.