Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I always get confused as to which Ion Storm made Deus Ex and which one made Daikatana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SirPhoebos posted:

I always get confused as to which Ion Storm made Deus Ex and which one made Daikatana.
The Ion Storm office in Texas was the bad one, and ended up making Daiktana. Deus Ex was made by the good Ion Storm, in Texas.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Xander77 posted:

The Ion Storm office in Texas was the bad one, and ended up making Daiktana. Deus Ex was made by the good Ion Storm, in Texas.

So what you're saying is that Texas...is a land of contrasts...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

SirPhoebos posted:

As a Texan, I can say that’s true!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Ion Storm Austin had Deus Ex and one of the Thief games.
Ion Storm Dallas had “John Romero is about to make you his bitch”.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

SirPhoebos posted:

Well on one hand, Texas has Texas in it. And on the other..... it has Texas in it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Finally caught up with the thread. My Warcraft experience is playing 3 and TFT, and a little WoW at a friends house but not getting very far.

What’s the in game timeline for WoW and its expansions? How many years have passed between the start and the latest expansion? And how much of a time gap was there between TFT and WoW?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Probably a good subject for a full post by Cythereal, but here's the timeline that I've seen. Just listing off the names of future games since we haven't gotten there yet. Note that basically all years are relative to the first opening of the Dark Portal, which is set as year 0:

0 - Dark Portal opens, start of WC1
3-5 - Fall of Stormwind
6 - Warcraft 2
8 - Warcraft 2: Beyond The Dark Portal
18 - Thrall creates the big Horde
20-21 - Warcraft 3
22 - WC3: Frozen Throne
25 - Vanilla
26 - Burning Crusade
27 - Wrath of Lich King
28 - Cataclysm
30-31 - Mists of Pandaria
31-32 - Warlords of Draenor

Haven't ever seen dates for the subsequent expansions, but the trend is pretty clear, so you could probably ballpark that it goes Legion-33, BFA-34, and Shadowlands-35.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
I had thought that WoW followed real time, I vaguely remember there were things that referred to previous expansions as multiples of 'two years ago'. Am I remembering wrong, or was this changed at some point?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

White Coke posted:

What’s the in game timeline for WoW and its expansions? How many years have passed between the start and the latest expansion? And how much of a time gap was there between TFT and WoW?

Per Chronicles...

So, the First War begins in the year 592, in-setting.

Warcraft 1 ends in 596, lasting five years.

Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness happens immediately afterwards and lasts two years, taking place in 597-598.

Warcraft 2: Beyond the Dark Portal takes another two years, 599-60.

Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos starts 12 years after the end of Beyond the Dark Portal, in the year 612, and ends the next year in 613.

Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne happens the following year, in 614.

World of Warcraft starts three years after that, in 617.

Each WoW expansion to date - The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, Mists of Pandaria, Warlords of Draenor, Legion, Battle for Azeroth, and Shadowlands - has lasted about two years.

However, it's recently been revealed that the new WoW expansion releasing this year, Dragonflight, involves a significant time skip (the most common one I've heard is seven years) after the end of Shadowlands.

So to date, at the end of Shadowlands, it's been about 35 years since the orcs first arrived on Azeroth.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 3, 2022

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cythereal posted:

Per Chronicles...

So, the First War begins in the year 592, in-setting.

Warcraft 1 ends in 596, lasting five years.

Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness happens immediately afterwards lasts two years, taking place in 597-598.

Warcraft 2: Beyond the Dark Portal takes another two years, 599-60.

Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos starts 12 years after the end of Beyond the Dark Portal, in the year 612, and ends the next year in 613.

Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne happens the following year, in 614.

World of Warcraft starts three years after that, in 617.

Each WoW expansion to date - The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, Mists of Pandaria, Warlords of Draenor, Legion, Battle for Azeroth, and Shadowlands - has lasted about two years.

However, it's recently been revealed that the new WoW expansion releasing this year, Dragonflight, involves a significant time skip (the most common one I've heard is seven years) after the end of Shadowlands.

So to date, at the end of Shadowlands, it's been about 35 years since the orcs first arrived on Azeroth.

Laid out like that, that is an absurd amount of world ending crisis in a very short time frame.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Laid out like that, that is an absurd amount of world ending crisis in a very short time frame.

Really, through the lens of being one extended crisis of "The Burning Legion is trying to destroy Azeroth", it fits a bit better. Even the crises that aren't directly caused by that are usually an indirect result. Not accounting for some of the later expansions though.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MagusofStars posted:

0 - Dark Portal opens, start of WC1
3-5 - Fall of Stormwind
6 - Warcraft 2
8 - Warcraft 2: Beyond The Dark Portal
18 - Thrall creates the big Horde
20-21 - Warcraft 3
22 - WC3: Frozen Throne
25 - Vanilla
26 - Burning Crusade
27 - Wrath of Lich King
28 - Cataclysm
30-31 - Mists of Pandaria
31-32 - Warlords of Draenor

Does Thrall show up in Warcraft 2 at all, or wait for 3

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FoolyCharged posted:

And yet, it's actually one of the few MMOs I can think of that's good about showing time passing along with GW2 and SWTOR.

Star Trek Online's entire story thus far (minus the time travel bits) has taken place within two years.

The Secret World's story has taken less than three weeks - you're told at the start of South Africa that the entire timespan from awakening with your powers until now has been two weeks.

FF14 isn't sure that time is passing at all except in a 'this happened after that' way.

I dunno about any others, those are the MMOs I've played much.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does Thrall show up in Warcraft 2 at all, or wait for 3

Only in 3.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Thrall didn't exist as a character until after Warcraft 2's Expansion.

He was originally going to be the star of a point-and-click adventure, but it got cancelled. Then his story came out as a Novel that involved a few... changes to the Orcs' culture in the process, and then he showed up in 3, with the events of that novel behind him, and very briefly summarized in the Warcraft 3 manual in the backstory section.

Of note, that point-and-click adventure featured a whole *bunch* of stuff that would later get retconned; depictions of certain characters, depictions of dragons in general, and various sweeping aspects of Orcish culture.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

The unfinished point-and-click adventure has been covered here before, actually. It's really weird.

https://lparchive.org/Warcraft-Adventures-Lord-of-the-Clans/

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Thrall also wasn't born until the near end of the Second War I believe.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhonne posted:

Thrall also wasn't born until the near end of the Second War I believe.

He was born early in the First War, actually. Thrall is 34 years old at present in WoW.

For another character whose birth year we know, Jaina Proudmoore is 38 at present.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, IIRC, they outsourced development to a Russian studio at some point, which led to some things getting lost in translation. Like, the script said Deathwing’s snout should be smoking in a scene, and that got misinterpreted as “Deathwing has a giant hookah here”.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Cythereal posted:

And yet, it's actually one of the few MMOs I can think of that's good about showing time passing along with GW2 and SWTOR.

Star Trek Online's entire story thus far (minus the time travel bits) has taken place within two years.

The Secret World's story has taken less than three weeks - you're told at the start of South Africa that the entire timespan from awakening with your powers until now has been two weeks.

FF14 isn't sure that time is passing at all except in a 'this happened after that' way.

I dunno about any others, those are the MMOs I've played much.

Only in 3.

LOTRO has time follow your progression in the main story, though you don't really seasons or anything.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I think the impression of time passing is helped by characters like Anduin, who is seen actually growing up.

I'm not saying he's actually a good character, but going from child to adult character who theoretically does things does help the time passage feeling.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Not counting the 1.0->2.0 skip of five years, the events from ARR to EW all happen in a ridiculously short amount of time. I'd have to look it up, but around ShB it was said to be like... a year?

Which is patently ridiculous and the WoL needs a vacation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kerzoro posted:

Not counting the 1.0->2.0 skip of five years, the events from ARR to EW all happen in a ridiculously short amount of time. I'd have to look it up, but around ShB it was said to be like... a year?

One of many reasons why my headcanon for all my MMO protagonists ever all end in them becoming traumatized, psychologically broken wrecks. :v:

It's one reason I don't intend to ever LP another after doing Star Trek Online. Already did that routine once.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Kerzoro posted:

They carefully avoid saying anything about how much time has passed since the start of 2.0

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Qwertycoatl posted:

They carefully avoid saying anything about how much time has passed since the start of 2.0
Time advances in Eorzea and has mechanical impact. One Eorzean day takes seventy minutes. One in-game year takes ~18.666 days. One real year includes about nineteen and a half in game years. Clearly, the Warrior of Light has been alive for a century and a half, and regularly takes weeks-long power naps whenever you don’t log in for a couple days.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cythereal posted:

For another character whose birth year we know, Jaina Proudmoore is 38 at present.
It's a good thing that is represented in the artwork. As well as in the writing.

But a cynical part of my mind is wondering if not the excessive squashing of the time is just so their favorite waifu(s) are still "young and hot". :cripes:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Horde 2: I Shot the Sherriff

Time to meet the trolls.

A prison near Hillsbrad makes me think this might be around the location of Durnholde Keep. Hillsbrad the town has actually never appeared in World of Warcraft, merely the zone 'Hillsbrad Foothills' which is centered on the towns of Tarren Mill and Southshore.

So here we're seeing how the alliance between the Horde and the Amani form, and it's reasonable enough. The enemy of my enemy.

Unsuspecting is not the word I'd use for a prisoner of war camp in a region at war.

The base here turns out to be just a formality. You start with nine grunts, and that's more than enough to win the mission.

For now there's only one way to go, north along the frozen river that units can walk on.

The prison lies a short hike to the north and is defended by a few footmen and archers.

This archer made a credible go at kiting my grunts, but had nothing to kite them into and so was cornered and killed.

The tower here does not appear to shoot at my grunts, or at least I didn't notice.

But there are enough Alliance here that I do lose a grunt.

In exchange I get some trolls, who are clearly the replacement for spearmen as the Horde's [presumably first] ranged unit in this game.

And a hero unit, minus the apostrophe in his name that he'll later pick up in the lore. If you look up art of Zul'jin, most art depicts him with only one arm - this injury happens at the end of WC2.

I've continued to build the base, not that there's much point to it. The lumber mill returns and serves the same function, it just looks different and is attributed to the trolls now.

From here it's just a simple matter of following the frozen river again, fighting the odd Alliance unit on the way.

The troll base is in the southwest corner.

Bring Zul'jin to the circle and it's mission complete.

At least it was theoretically possible to lose this mission. Maybe.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Critical Race Theory

Let me put it this way: World of Warcraft, in its alpha state, described them thus: "...Lean predators, they're as tall as night elves when they stand fully erect, but normally bob along, hunched over, coiled and ready to spring. While Warcraft players know them by their Jamaican accents, voodoo-flavored culture and wild hairstyles, the trolls are also cruel, sadistic and evil..."

Today's subject, the trolls.

Trolls are one of Azeroth's truly ancient races, very likely one of the first to arise after the Titans left alongside the proto-furbolg, murlocs, and yaungol (the proto-tauren). They were certainly the quickest to advance as a civilization of those primordial races, and spread out across young Azeroth to become perhaps the most widespread race in the world.

In the wake of the Ordering, the trolls created the first of Azeroth's great empires by mortals: the Empire of Zul. From the great city of Zuldazar, the very oldest mortal city on Azeroth, the Zul spread out to rule most of the continent. The heart of this empire was known as Zandalar, and the Zandalari trolls have a credible claim to being the very oldest continuous civilization on Azeroth. Over time, many tribal and ethnic divisions among the trolls arose, some deliberately altering themselves with magic and some began to change in response to magic in their environment. The Zandalari further allied with the great Mogu Empire in the south of Azeroth, and at its height the Empire of Zul faced the first great attempt by the Old Gods to break their chains and reclaim Azeroth.

We know very little about this war beyond its apocalyptic scale, and that it ended with the shattering of the Empire of Zul due to widespread famine and pestilence. Five smaller empires arose from the ruins: the Zandalari (original trolls), Gurubashi (jungle trolls), Drakkari (ice trolls), Amani (forest trolls), and the dark trolls.

Unfortunately, the pattern of troll history in Azeroth had been set: everything goes well for a while, then someone launches nukes.

Goons, meet the troll/elf family tree.

In this particular case, it was the dark trolls. These trolls had settled around the slopes of Mount Hyjal and the Well of Eternity, and over the centuries were changed and warped by the arcane energies emanating from the Titan facilities there. They had become the first elves, and advanced their understanding of magic to unprecedented levels of sophistication and power even as they abandoned the traditional nature spirit gods of the trolls, the loa, in favor of the Loa of the Moon: Elune. The Kaldorei, deeming themselves a separate race superior to all others, launched a devastating war that further shattered the other troll empires. Though the Zandalari eventually negotiated an end to the war, the end of this war very much sealed the other troll empires as inferior to the Kaldorei.

Then the Kaldorei blew up Azeroth in general, and the surviving trolls scattered to the winds. The Zandalari ended up on an island of their own, the Drakkari wound up in Northrend, and the Amani and Gurubashi landed in the extreme north and south of the eastern continent (and no, this continent has never gotten a proper name). Both empires probably breathed a sigh of relief that the goddamn elves were finally gone. Then elven refugees landed near Amani lands and promptly started to exterminate the trolls. The Amani might have won that war, had the elves not taught this other race of stone age barbarians how to use magic.

The trolls have continued to fight a guerrilla war against the humans and elves ever since, but have never been able to reclaim their homelands. When the Horde arrived in Azeroth, the leader of the Amani, a man named Zul'jin, was prepared to ally with the Horde to reclaim his peoples' homeland. Surely things were looking up for the Amani, right?

Well, no.

The Horde of course will go on to lose the Second War, and the Amani forest trolls will easily escape back into the forests and avoid the prisoner of war camps awaiting the orcs. Zul'jin and his people bided their time, waiting for the day that they'd get another chance. When the Horde eventually rose again during the Third War, Zul'jin and the Amani expected to renew their old alliance with the orcs. The orcs did not, and indeed abandoned the eastern continent entirely. When the Horde did return to the east, a convoluted series of events transpired that lead the orcs to instead ally with Lordaeron and Quel'thalas.

In another game, the situation would be ripe for the newly redeemed orcs to navigate complex diplomatic waters between their old alliance with the Amani and their new allies in Lordaeron and Quel'thalas to find a solution for everyone involved now that they're all potentially willing to talk through an intermediary party.

Instead the full force of the Horde proceeded to exterminate the Amani, raze their capital city, and kill Zul'jin, who went to his death cursing the orcs as honorless betrayers. The end. No moral.

Poor Zul’jin. You seem like a neat character, but you and yours have been so comprehensively hosed over by Blizzard that I’m wondering if you were ever a friend of Jaina Proudmoore.

Look, there's no getting around the fact that troll aesthetics and civilizations are Blizzard's go-to for depicting tribal groups from Central America, South America, and sub-Saharan Africa, often featuring comically exaggerated accents and godawful aesthetic design, even when they really do mean well - Zandalar in particular is meant to be something along the likes of Wakanda-but-Aztecs. Every known troll civilization is big on cannibalism, 'voodoo', and human (and every other race) sacrifice. They are almost universally described as sadistic and evil, are repeatedly shown to have virtually no grasp of science or technology, and rarely rise above stone age barbarians in sophistication.

And they are slaughtered in huge numbers by everyone. One small group allies with the Horde again in Warcraft 3, and then the Zandalari Empire is treated with a modicum of respect in WoW, but every other troll in Warcraft is treated as open season for a guilt free war of extermination against subhuman savages.

The Gurubashi Empire is fought by players in vanilla WoW, and was finally brought down for good by the Alliance in Cataclysm. The Horde eradicated the Amani in The Burning Crusade. The undead broke the back of the Drakkari in Wrath of the Lich King and adventurers acting with a couple of NGOs finished the job.

WoW players joke about troll raids featuring in every expansion, and it's a joke rooted in a certain amount of truth. Almost every expansion in World of Warcraft has featured at least a dungeon that prominently features trolls as the villains to be slaughtered guilt-free. In Legion, one of the fabled artifact weapons is the sword of Thoradin, the first human king, a sword that has slaughtered so many trolls that if you see any troll mobs from Legion or previous, including dungeon and raid bosses, they'll run screaming in terror as they and their ancestors freak the gently caress out at the presence of a sword that has killed so goddamn many of them. It's meant to make the player laugh, you see.

I could go on, but I'm rather done talking about one of Blizzard's most consistently outstanding examples of racism.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 4, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Losing my mind at whichever hack came up with Fel Fal'dorei

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They deserve the title of Fel Hack.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Huh, I just noticed the trolls don't have tusks in their unit portraits.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Cythereal posted:

Ain't that just Blizzard dot loving txt.

One funny note from writing up the next gameplay update and lore post: this LP has managed to rekindle my active contempt for Blizzard. Before this project my feelings had mostly slid down into laughing at Blizzard's misfortune and the occasional wistful daydreaming about what could have been, but a certain lore consultant on discord had me do a bunch of edits to the upcoming lore post because of how much goddamn lore has gotten squirreled away in various random places in Chronicles, WoW, and the books, and not always in places that actively seem to deal with the subject matter.

At this stage I dono if its "squirreled away" as much as there is just SO MANY sources now.

Like 3 RTS, an MMO with 7 nearly 8 expansions, associated spin off TGC, associated spin off digital card game that spun off the TCG, various now defunct pen and paper RPG books, novels, web novels, comics, effective lore encyclopaedia's printed decades after the fact to ret-con or update lore, tweets from writers and developers, one off comments from said writers and developers taken as gospel.

Like it can be really easy for someone to miss something neat and interesting if it's like to do with a part of a novel, and then is only referenced further in a 3 quest chain in MoP that most players walked past or simply did the player thing and ignored text to kill pixel dragon for the reward.

Also note for the above: Elune is not a Loa. She's something else, but we're not sure EXACTLY what.

Also minor further info on the relationship between the Amani and New Horde (Burning Crusade Era, which is the time period the resurgent Amani came back) the plot at the time was both a) kinda weird given we were off fighting SPOILER character and The Legion and the Zul'Aman raid just just got thrown in there in classic MMO fashion of "hey here's this thing we think is neat" and b) the "plot" was essentially that the Amani came back and started fighting the at-the-time thinly stretched and newly recruited to the Horde Blood Elves and it became a "It's them or us" situation when approaching the mostly Orc dominated New Horde. And as with most things in Warcraft when given ultimatum's both sides will go knives out.

Cythereal posted:

In Legion, one of the fabled artifact weapons is the sword of Thoradin, the first human king, a sword that has slaughtered so many trolls that if you see any troll mobs from Legion or previous, including dungeon and raid bosses, they'll run screaming in terror as they and their ancestors freak the gently caress out at the presence of a sword that has killed so goddamn many of them. It's meant to make the player laugh, you see.

No mention of the irony when your Troll Warrior is the one wielding the sword too.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 4, 2022

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
You shot the sheriff? Please tell me you also got the deputy!

Sorry, I hate that song.

You can tell if towers are dangerous visually after a while. Watch Towers are safe and they have narrow square windows. Cannon Towers have big awnings and you want to get a death wagon, a flyer, or move a melee unit in close. Guard Towers have arrow slits and you need a death wagon to kill those from range. They’re the most annoying.

I thought you had to get one Troll on the Circle plus Zul’jin. Maybe not.

Geez. Sucks to be Zul’jin!

Guess what, Blizzard? Racism isn’t funny.

My favorite trolls are the ones from Frozen. I hope Blizzard never gets a hold of them.

The Warcraft trolls get tusks if you upgrade them enough.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Gridlocked posted:

Also note for the above: Elune is not a Loa. She's something else, but we're not sure EXACTLY what.

Didn't Shadowlands answer it with "She's a dumb robot that does dumb robot things like send her faithful to turbohell because she hasn't gotten a software update"?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

SirPhoebos posted:

Didn't Shadowlands answer it with "She's a dumb robot that does dumb robot things like send her faithful to turbohell because she hasn't gotten a software update"?

Not exactly. Shadowlands has HEAVILY IMPLIED that she's one of The First Ones' but not the same First Ones as the five of the Shadowlands, they're First Ones of the Realms of Death. She.... something else. Further to that in-lore no one realises that all the souls of the dead are going to the Maw until the Player Character completes the main Shadowlands levelling plot line and everyone twigs onto the shortage of anima and new souls is because of blah blah blah

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gridlocked posted:

Yes, but this is how she was understood by the trolls at the time.

I'll get to Elune properly later. I'm trying to introduce characters, places, and concepts as they make sense at the time I'm introducing them rather than overwhelming people with bullshit out of the gate.

Please ease off the 'but that's not REALLY how it is!' In almost all cases, it's something I'll explain more fully later.

Edit: Let me make this official. Stop with the 'but this is what REALLY happened!' poo poo. I'm fine with talking about stuff that happens in later games! I've been doing that from the start! But please understand that there's 49 missions left to go before I even start Warcraft 3, and in the course of this LP I've been deliberately introducing lore slowly and piecemeal because I'm trying to present it in a way that makes sense to people who aren't familiar with this stuff. Stop trying to correct and clarify things that are going to come up naturally to discuss in proper detail and context later.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 4, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cythereal posted:

Yes, but this is how she was understood by the trolls at the time.

I'll get to Elune properly later. I'm trying to introduce characters, places, and concepts as they make sense at the time I'm introducing them rather than overwhelming people with bullshit out of the gate.

Please ease off the 'but that's not REALLY how it is!' In almost all cases, it's something I'll explain more fully later.

I understood your post. Elune is a loa for trolls, from whose perspective you're telling this. It's like arguing over Jesus, he's the Messiah for Christians but most certainly not for Jews, and he's one of the prophets (but not THE Prophet) for Muslims. Likewise, whatever Elune truly is, trolls consider her a loa.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Torrannor posted:

I understood your post. Elune is a loa for trolls, from whose perspective you're telling this. It's like arguing over Jesus, he's the Messiah for Christians but most certainly not for Jews, and he's one of the prophets (but not THE Prophet) for Muslims. Likewise, whatever Elune truly is, trolls consider her a loa.

Notably you can be a Loa and other things as well, like a wild god.

Anything can probably become a Loa if enough trolls start worshipping it as one

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Great LP, it's been really fun to follow! Even as someone who used to care about the lore but hasn't for a decent while (probably returning to WoW with Warlords was about the last time i cared) a lot of the lore posts chronicle truly bizarre stuff, although playing WoW for so many years has at least inundated me to Blizzard making weird decisions on that front. I enjoyed the narrative campaign for W1 too!

The LP inspired me to fire up WC2 over the weekend too. I have replayed W3 a couple times since that defined my childhood, but other than being terrible at it and never getting anywhere when I was like, 8, I have never played WC2.

I've finished the horde main campaign now but not started the expansion. It was pretty fun overall, even if some issues stood out. Really glad I grabbed a widescreen mod so I didn't have to fight with the screenspace - made things a bit easier I imagine. Found it here if anyone else wants to play the game with it enabled.

The difficulty curve felt a bit weird but honestly not as bad as I'd worried about. I had to reset the penultimate mission once (by far the toughest IMO) but otherwise it was pretty smooth sailing. That said I went in as a pretty experienced RTS player having spent 7 years on the Starcraft 2 1v1 ladder before quitting the game, so I wasn't expecting to have to reset at all honestly.

Game speed felt weird. Several missions, especially horde I found, starts you with like 2 peons, an army and 0-1 farms. And not enough gold to even build the farms you need to start producing peons. So it's a bit of a slog getting started and for almost no missions are you in any danger early on, so I found it best to just crank the speed to max while you slowly build a few farms and get gold. But even at what felt like more natural speed a few notches down from fastest, it felt like spellcasting and most micro was unmanageable - at fastest it was pretty much completely impossible.

Naval combat was fine but felt a bit shallow - didn't generally see the point of the turtles/submarines compared to just massing regular ships with zeppelins. By the time you can build them the opponent will usually bring them too which means they can see yours so you don't even get unkillable defense, and they have plenty of detection at their bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So what's an Arcan'dor and do any of these many, many subspecies of troll and elf have any interesting quirks or cultures, or do most of them just exist as random mobs to maim? High Elves, Blood Elves, Night Elves and basic Naga I understand from the games, but otherwise I feel like it's a lot of effort to create all these subspecies just to give the players some variety in what they're murdering.

Insurrectionist posted:

The difficulty curve felt a bit weird but honestly not as bad as I'd worried about. I had to reset the penultimate mission once (by far the toughest IMO) but otherwise it was pretty smooth sailing. That said I went in as a pretty experienced RTS player having spent 7 years on the Starcraft 2 1v1 ladder before quitting the game, so I wasn't expecting to have to reset at all honestly.

In general in both Warcraft 2 and 3 I always felt like the main difficulty (at least when playing against the AI) was presented by airborne units and little else, and was a very rock paper scissors thing. Either you had an appropriate counter ready and they were irrelevant or you didn't have a counter ready and you died.