Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

REST IN PEACE WINS, YOUR CIDERS ARE DELICIOUS

THE YPM PROTECTION SOCIETY THANKS YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND DONATIONS TO SAVE THIS POOR, PISS-SOAKED CREATURE IN NEED

TOGETHER, WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I cleaned up the urine I told you

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 7

wins32767 (5): Hal Incandenza, EGalz18, EGalz18, Zoya, Your Personal Muse, EGalz18, shwinnebego, PhantomMuzzles, shwinnebego, Zoya, Zoya, Zoya, Zoya
Your Personal Muse (3): Maugrim, Captain Foo, NeverHelm, Shellception, EGalz18, PhantomMuzzles, EGalz18, PhantomMuzzles, shwinnebego, Shellception, Captain Foo
PhantomMuzzles (1): wologar
Hal Incandenza (1): shwinnebego, shwinnebego, Captain Foo
Captain Foo (1): Shellception, Shellception, Zoya, Zoya, Shellception, Zoya, Zoya, Zoya, Zoya
Zoya (0): Captain Foo, shwinnebego, shwinnebego, Captain Foo
shwinnebego (0): Zoya, Shellception, Shellception, Zoya

Not Voting (1): wins32767

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is December 09th, 2023 at 6:30 p.m. PST -- that's in about 0 minutes.

Day 7's supermajority voting threshold required for early hammer is 9.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Night 7

wins32767 has been voted out. They were VANILLA TOWN. Their codeword was SHOAL.

PhantomMuzzles has now been nightkilled in every universe. They were the FOLLOWER. Their codeword was REMIT.
shwinnebego has now been nightkilled in every universe. They were VANILLA TOWN. Their codeword was OMEGA.
wologar has now been nightkilled in every universe. They were the VANILLA TOWN. Their codeword was LEAFY.

Public Probability Table
code:
Who      Town%    Power%   Ent%     Scum%    Dead%    Voteflip 
IDEAL      Bifauxnen - 100% dead - TOWN
NACRE      Tired Moritz - voted out - SCUM
TAROT    61.4%    13.2%    11.6%    13.2%    13.8%    82% T / 18% S
EBONY      Pinterest Mom - voted out - TOWN
REMIT      PhantomMuzzles - 100% dead - FOLLOWER
DAUNT    73.0%    15.9%    13.8%    13.2%    0%       85% T / 15% S
IMAGO    58.7%    13.2%    11.1%    13.8%    16.4%    81% T / 19% S
MONAD      JosefStalinator - voted out - TOWN
ETHOS    46.0%    0%       11.1%    16.4%    26.5%    74% T / 26% S
NINJA    56.6%    0%       13.8%    16.4%    13.2%    78% T / 22% S
SHOAL      wins32767 - voted out - TOWN
IONIC    72.5%    15.9%    13.8%    13.8%    0%       84% T / 16% S
OMEGA      shwinnebego - 100% dead - TOWN
NUMEN      Johnny Keats - voted out - GUARD
AMUCK    70.4%    15.9%    13.2%    0%       16.4%    Town
LEAFY      wologar - 100% dead - TOWN
IVORY      CubicalSucrose - voted out - TOWN
TOKAY      death cob for cutie - voted out - SCUM
YEARS    61.4%    13.2%    11.6%    13.2%    13.8%    82% T / 18% S

378 universes remain.

Today, 5 masonries closed.

The night will last for 48 hours or until everybody submits an action. Please note that :siren: because of the reduced player count, days will now be 24 hours long. :siren:

quote:

> [S] Cascade.
—Andrew Hussie

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

ETHOS, your time has come. ##vote captain food

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Day 8

No one died in every universe last night.

Public Probability Table
code:
Who      Town%    Power%   Ent%     Scum%    Dead%    Voteflip 
TAROT    59.4%    12.9%    14.2%    12.9%    13.5%    82% T / 18% S
DAUNT    58.7%    12.9%    14.2%    12.9%    14.2%    82% T / 18% S
IMAGO    42.6%    10.3%    10.3%    13.5%    33.5%    76% T / 24% S
ETHOS    23.9%    0%       7.1%     16.8%    52.3%    59% T / 41% S
NINJA    34.2%    0%       10.3%    16.8%    38.7%    67% T / 33% S
IONIC    69.0%    15.5%    16.8%    14.2%    0%       83% T / 17% S
AMUCK    53.5%    12.9%    12.9%    0%       33.5%    Town
YEARS    58.7%    12.9%    14.2%    12.9%    14.2%    82% T / 18% S

310 universes remain.

Last night, 1 masonry was created, and no masonries closed.

Voting is open. It will remain open for :siren: 24 hours, :siren: or until a supermajority of 6 players is reached.

quote:

"For a moment I saw all of Chicago as a mist of endless possibilities. Bullets flew from guns, hit, missed, ricocheted; bodies fell, crumpled, folded, flew, sank, rolled, were discovered or kept secret; revenge was or wasn’t or was almost taken. A million stories hovered in the smoke."
― Ray Wood, Schrödinger's Gun

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Zoya posted:

Look at this shameful snypa.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I'm hurt that people keep trying to murder me

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Zoya posted:

MY POWER TRANSCENDS THE MOD

IT IS I WHO OPENS THIS DAY

AND I OPEN IT

BY STRIKING DOWN THE VIOLATOR

DEATH IS COMING FOR YOU, STRANGER

THE END APPROACHETH

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
[quote="Zoya" post="536480304"]
[/quote

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Your Personal Muse posted:

I'm hurt that people keep trying to murder me

the YPM liberation front condemns such shameful behavior

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
I'm reasonably sure from my investigation that Foo is ETHOS. ##vote Captain Food

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
##vote Captain Foo

More like Captain SCUM

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Congrats to Hal on being confirmed town by the way

Condemnations for achieving that status over the corpse of my mason companion, however

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

2 more votes and we can complete the funny turbo before he even sees the thread!!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
##vote Foo

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Now all we need is the self-vote and we're golden!

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

i'm hoping that Egal Incandenza shows up to complete the funny turbo

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
*starts chanting*

funny turbo

funny turbo

funny turbo

EGalz18
Aug 5, 2023

I LOVE WORDS. THAT'S ALL.
What a glorious day for a turbo!
##vote cap foo

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Welp.

A supermajority has been reached. Please stand by.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Finale

Captain Foo has been voted out. They were SCUM!! Their codeword was ETHOS.

Hal Incandenza has now been nightkilled in every universe. They were the DETECTIVE. Their codeword was AMUCK.
Maugrim has now been nightkilled in every universe. They were VANILLA TOWN. Their codeword was IMAGO.

Final Probability Table
code:
Who      Town%    Power%   Ent%     Scum%    Dead% 
TAROT    80%      0%       20%      0%       0%       (Zoya)
DAUNT    80%      0%       20%      0%       0%       (Shellception)
IMAGO      Maugrim - 100% dead - TOWN
ETHOS      Captain Foo - voted out - SCUM
NINJA    80%      0%       20%      0%       0%       (Your Personal Muse)
IONIC    80%      0%       20%      0%       0%       (EGalz18)
AMUCK      Hal Incandenza - 100% dead - DETECTIVE
YEARS    80%      0%       20%      0%       0%       (NeverHelm)

10 universes remain.

:siren: The TOWN players have won. :siren:

quote:

My heisen roared. It was impossible. What I was looking at was impossible. I felt my gun drift downwards as my arms lost strength.

They stood there, overlapping, like two different movies projected onto the same screen; a fault line between two universes. A perfect quantum tightrope. I was looking at the cat inside the box, alive and dead at the same time, and I had seconds left to choose which possibility remained when the lid came off. I couldn’t speak. For a moment, two versions of myself stood inside of each other, our hearts beating different rhythms.

The figure that had stepped out from the shadows was both Vincent Quine and Kitty Rivers.

—Ray Wood, Schrödinger's Gun

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

I guess we had to kill off the detective in the end huh.

Fun game! While there are obviously a lot of kinks to iron out of this setup, I do think there are some interesting things you can do with this sort of setup.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
How are there 10 universes left? Isn't it just each living player has a 1/5 chance to be the Entangler?

Maybe two of the scum options were redundant?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

CubicalSucrose posted:

How are there 10 universes left? Isn't it just each living player has a 1/5 chance to be the Entangler?

Investigating.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

CubicalSucrose posted:

Kind of. Basically, in some of those universes, Cap Foo was beta scum and Death Cob was gamma scum. In others, it was the reverse.
In all of them, TMor was alpha scum.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oh i see

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The 1st thing I'd like to say is thank you to CubicalSucrose for this post.

CubicalSucrose posted:

Also, this is pretty lovely mod behavior:
1) In general.
2) Especially without any posting rules at all.
3) For one of the better gimmicks I've seen.
4) Because of these reasons below.

5) Doing it publicly, vs. a nudge in the confessional.

Seriously. What the hell even is "playing Mafia" on D1 in this game?

I have half a mind to take up the mantle and try to get myself modkilled in future days.

So then this is what happened in the confessional. This is the first time it was addressed

quote:

[5:26 PM]Quackles: ...why are you posting sci-fi excerpts, again, after I explicitly asked you to stop, and there was a whole ruckus about it?
[5:27 PM]Sub Rosa: I am playing the game how I find fun
[5:27 PM]Sub Rosa: That is within the stated rules
[5:28 PM]Sub Rosa: I do not acknowledge your right to tell me how to play beyond that
[5:28 PM]Sub Rosa: Modkill me if you wish, and then we can debrief about it all after the game is over
[5:28 PM]Sub Rosa: But until then, you don't get to tell me how to play your game
[5:29 PM]Quackles: ....
[5:29 PM]Quackles: O-kay.
[5:29 PM]Quackles: Like, there is a concept of 'good sportsmanship' that recurs when playing games.
[5:30 PM]Quackles: Where you try to play along with the structure of a game you've decided to participate in,
[5:30 PM]Sub Rosa: You are not "being a good sport" as a mod of an extremely experimental Mafia-like
[5:30 PM]Quackles: and generally cooperate, not just with the rules, but with the intent of the rules and the game.
[5:33 PM]Quackles: I am reasonably sure that I know what the intent of the rules and the game are, as I created those rules and the game, with significant help from Iggy.

I realize I reacted hastily and harshly earlier on, and for that I apologize; however, I must nonetheless ask that you at least attempt to try and play along with everybody.
[5:33 PM]Sub Rosa: NO
5:33 PM]Quackles: Why not?
[5:33 PM]Sub Rosa: I'm making a principled stand
[5:34 PM]Quackles: For what?
[5:34 PM]Sub Rosa: That I will not allow you to tell me how to play
[5:35 PM]Sub Rosa: Modkill me, find a replacement, or I do what I want
[5:35 PM]Sub Rosa: Replacement a good compromise?
[5:35 PM]Quackles: Yes, but you're not playing. You're doing your level best to disrupt things and are not taking actions within the game space, generally, or that are only tangentially on the border of it.

Not only is that not "playing", it's aggressively not playing.
[5:35 PM]Quackles: In simple terms, you are asserting your right to be a butt.
[5:35 PM]Sub Rosa: I don't give a poo poo if you think it's playing or not, it is
[5:36 PM]Sub Rosa: And you are being an rear end
[5:36 PM]Quackles: I admit, some.
But, you were one first.
[5:36 PM]Sub Rosa: No, I wasn't
[5:36 PM]Sub Rosa: Alright, I'm done, I won't post any more in your game
[5:37 PM]Quackles: All right. I will seek a replacement.
[5:37 PM]Sub Rosa: Replace me, mod kill me, lurker kill me days later, I don't care
[5:37 PM]Sub Rosa: I'm done

So let's go over what I did. I joined this game, something I pretty rarely do rather than observing, because I thought it was a neat gimmick, and super cool that someone actually coded something to facilitate a game. I've always had a lay interest in quantum mechanics, as well, so that's fun. I declared in my opening post I would poo poo post.

Sub Rosa posted:

I will play but I I'm going to not read the op and only poo poo post.

I mean, as Cubical pointed out, what the hell even is playing mafia in a game this experimental? You can't play to your wincon, because you don't know what it is. Impossible to scum hunt. In a way this whole game was unplayable, really. But it's still certainly reasonable to lessen your chance of getting lunched by trying to be entertaining. And I didn't mind accepting the chance with any sort of gimmick posting that instead maybe people will find it annoying and use it to vote me out. I wouldn't have cared about that at all. It still would have been giving the game D1 content. And that didn't seem to be how people were reacting to it.

I picked posting Quantum Mechanics facts because they are cool and interesting and on theme. I used the glossary from the Schrödinger's Cat trilogy. And as I went along, I reread the start of the book, and I thought it was nice, and would be real fun, especially how my favorite post:

Sub Rosa posted:

SUPERDETERMINISM: The approach to quantum theory urged by Dr. Fritjof Capra in The Tao of Physics. This interpretation rejects “contrafactual definiteness”; that is, it assumes that any statements about what could have happened are meaningless. A consequence of this view is that all distinction between observer and observed, or self and universe, also becomes meaningless; Quackles had no choice about running this game, I had no choice about writing these posts, and you had no choice about reading it, since there is only one thing happening and we are all seamlessly welded into it.
Tied in with what I planned to be my last post

Sub Rosa posted:

Every player in this game looks like Pavlov’s Dog from a certain angle. If you look at him or her a different way, however, you’ll see Schrödinger’s Cat.
Obviously editing the self-referential text in the book to instead be self-referential to the game. Like, I'm still a big fan of these posts. Super thematic to the weird game situation of everyone starting identical.

I planned to have that by my entire D1 content, and then I would drop it for D2.

Instead you had what you saw in thread, and what you see in my confessional. Not only am I being told I'm playing an impossible to play experimental game wrong, I'm told I'm not being a good sport, breaking some social contract between game runner and player, called a butt.

I object to being treated this way.

As someone who has ran games, I strongly feel like mods are creating a space for other people to have fun, and as a mod the fun of your players always supercedes your own vision. Someone finding a way to have fun in a game I've made and ran is the only thing I hope for. This was a tremendous overreach and it really upset me. I'm getting upset again revisiting it, so I'll close.

I also want to thank IggyMeen for reaching out after I had already replaced out to apologize for not having been around to intercede. I appreciated that very much, though of course none of this was Iggy's fault.

So yeah, that sucked.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I would add that this would have been a very boring game without the shitposts. I realize I'm sort of patting myself on the back since I shitposted very much and randomized some of my night actions in keeping with the theme of the game, but this game seemed pretty easy for smarter people than me to solve. This game needs chaos agents to be enjoyable, and Sub Rosa did it better than anyone.

It would've been cool if Sub Rosa continued on in the game, especially since Sub was replaced by a noted dog hater.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

A response will be coming regarding Sub Rosa's post shortly.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I am not sure there should be a response unless its "I take the L on this one, gang"

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Regarding Sub Rosa

The circumstances regarding Sub Rosa's replacement on D1 were an example of me poorly handling my duties as moderator.

I originally reacted to Sub Rosa's posts after becoming annoyed by his shitposts, which (to my eyes at the time) showed signs of going off topic once he switched from glossary entries to chapter excerpts from the science fiction novel he was posting. After observing the thread, I came to the conclusion that other players' mechanical discussions were being interrupted and disrupted by these shitposts, and that I should intervene.

At this point, I should have raised the matter privately in Sub Rosa's confessional. I did not; I posted publicly. This was a mistake on my part.

A bit of context: I am a moderator of a large video game Discord server, which has 10-15k users. Because it's a video game server, there's a lot of kids, so I have to deal with a lot of people interrupting and generally stopping other users from conversing. As I read the game thread, I pattern-matched Sub Rosa's behavior to this template.

Additionally, this further impacted my behavior on my decision to raise matters publicly. On the Discord server, moderation decisions are typically done (at least somewhat) publicly, for reasons of transparency.

In short, instead of reacting as the host of a mafia game, I reacted as a Discord moderator.
Events spiraled from there.

In summary: To Sub Rosa, I apologize for my rudeness and poor handling of the situation. I certainly didn't mean for it to turn out like this - my apologies.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Thanks, accepted.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I did it I definitely understood this game I wom

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Won gently caress

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

JosefStalinator posted:

I did it I definitely understood this game I wom

:wom:

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I solved the game d1 I just didn’t want to ruin it

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Thanks for running the game, it was a really interesting premise. One interesting variation would be to start in medias res with some people having randomly assigned masonries and some alterations to their base probabilities. I’d also boost the scum numbers to account for the inability to coordinate. Other than that this was a great poc!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I’m glad that quack and rosa were able to talk that out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

i'm glad that we all joined hands in solidarity and voted cube out after he disgraced all social norms and himself by standing on the table and making GBS threads on pmuzz's holiday dessert spread, in front of everyone, in plain sight, without a shred of decorum or dignity, just plopped one out on th [i am dragged off-screen by shellception's comically large shepherd's crook]