Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

The flexzilla cord I have is pretty skookum. I originally bought it so I'd have one to use that wasn't patched together bullshit, then the other people living in my house found it and proceeded to use it and abuse it for two years including it spending the last year and a half outside. Still works fine. I'd buy it again.

I have 2, 25-foot Flexzilla cords, the neon (glow in the dark?) green ones with the lighted plugs. I haven't gotten real crazy with them, but they've worked well with no real signs of wear for the year or so I've owned them both. I got them after doing a little research on various tool blogs and forums, where they had some good recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll check that out. I dont have many tools that require cords but I'm doing my brakes in the driveway this weekend and my HF impact gun is corded and my old extension cord isn't long enough to get out there.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Rhyno posted:

ANy particular brands I should avoid in extension cords? Looking for the best quality + maximum length.

I have two of the Carol Froghide cords, one of them is atleast 25 years old and given to me by my father and while dirty is still in great shape with no hardening or cracking of the insulation. That would be my recommendation

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Rhyno posted:

I'll check that out. I dont have many tools that require cords but I'm doing my brakes in the driveway this weekend and my HF impact gun is corded and my old extension cord isn't long enough to get out there.

That giant HF electric impact? Those things are barely worth setting up. It doesn’t do anything but make noise.

I gave mine to the Habitat store when I realized even the baby M18 blows it away.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mine zips lugs off just fine. No need to replace it yet.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Mine removed the subframe and suspension of my car like it was nothin'. Best $40 tool ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah I've used it to swap wheels dozens of times now. It's a great tool.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rhyno posted:

ANy particular brands I should avoid in extension cords? Looking for the best quality + maximum length.

They're all about the same, the more pliable and thicker the insulation the longer they'll last, if you want a nice one get one with SJOOW stamped on the outside, it means it's a silicone jacket.

Load matters a lot, if you're running a big chop saw or something at 100' you want at least a 12gauge, a welder at 50' you want 10 gauge, weedwacker you want 16 or 14 for better pliability etc.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Elviscat posted:

They're all about the same, the more pliable and thicker the insulation the longer they'll last, if you want a nice one get one with SJOOW stamped on the outside, it means it's a silicone jacket.

Load matters a lot, if you're running a big chop saw or something at 100' you want at least a 12gauge, a welder at 50' you want 10 gauge, weedwacker you want 16 or 14 for better pliability etc.

Ummm, nope.
SJOOW is CPE jacket, EPDM insulation, 300V, 10-18AWG, 2-4 conductors.
Service Junior, Oil (jacket), Oil (insulation), Water
SOOW is same but 600V, 2-18AWG, 2-40 conductors.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
These are $39 right now.

GearWrench 9412 12 Piece Metric Ratcheting Wrench Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002NYD1C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.BaBDbWQ90073

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Kastivich posted:

These are $39 right now.

GearWrench 9412 12 Piece Metric Ratcheting Wrench Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002NYD1C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.BaBDbWQ90073

These look pretty similar to what Harbor Freight sells but with a few more pieces. Are they good/better quality than HF?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

net work error posted:

These look pretty similar to what Harbor Freight sells but with a few more pieces. Are they good/better quality than HF?

:psyduck:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah gear wrench stuff is great in my experience. I bought a set like that a few years ago and wondered if it was just a useless splurge. I was wrong and they are the first and usually only tools I reach for when dealing with 90% of bolts.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

net work error posted:

Before the rest of the thread piles on,

There are five levels of hand tool quality. Harbor freight have been trying to bootstrap themselves up a few ranks recently.

1: Literally made of cheese. Unbranded stuff you get in flatpack furniture. liable to break on first use.

2: harbor freight and other hardware store brands

3: homeowner brands, craftsman, gearwrench, etc

4: professional/industrial brands: bahco, wera, stanleyproto, klein, wiha knipex

5: premium tool truck brands, snapon cornwell matco, mac these are mostly only different from the level below by cost markup and warranty service.

now commence arguing which favorite brand gets put up or down a level or how I'm talking out of my rear end.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MRC48B posted:

There are five levels of hand tool quality. Harbor freight have been trying to bootstrap themselves up a few ranks recently.

1: Literally made of cheese. Unbranded stuff you get in flatpack furniture. liable to break on first use.

4: professional/industrial brands: bahco, wera, stanleyproto, klein, wiha knipex

5: premium tool truck brands, snapon cornwell matco, mac these are mostly only different from the level below by cost markup and warranty service.

now commence arguing which favorite brand gets put up or down a level or how I'm talking out of my rear end.
You’re definitely talking out of your rear end on level 5, but otherwise this is dead on and the basic idea is right. :love:

A large part of level 5 is what you said, but there are definitely tools where I wouldn’t want to use anything except the snap-on, because it just works better.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Many of the truck brand tools are made by other manufacturers. In those cases, it's almost always worth buying from the OEM unless you need the warranty service the truck provides. Some (and it ain't much) are really worth buying truck branded.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Kastivich posted:

These are $39 right now.

Thanks for posting this, I didn't even think about it and just clicked buy it now, that's a great price

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

MRC48B posted:

Thanks for the answer. I'm not too familiar with brand quality and am working my way into it all.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

Thanks for posting this, I didn't even think about it and just clicked buy it now, that's a great price

Yeah seriously, I'm rebuilding my tool chest after the fire and taking the opportunity to replace everything with better quality so I jumped right on this.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I bought my set on sale and they sat for about a year before I had a chance to use them. Was questioning my decision until I put them to some good use and holy poo poo they're great.

Then I lost my 9/16" wrench at a customer site. :eng99:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Krakkles posted:

You’re definitely talking out of your rear end on level 5, but otherwise this is dead on and the basic idea is right. :love:

A large part of level 5 is what you said, but there are definitely tools where I wouldn’t want to use anything except the snap-on, because it just works better.

Hard no there, big shoots.

There’s so much snap-on poo poo that’s a giant waste of money, it’s just Gucci for mechanics. They sell most of their tools because they offer direct sales and financing, not because of the quality.

(I own more snap-on stuff than I’d care to admit)

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I would have definitely placed Gearwrench above Craftsman. Craftsman stuff has broken far more often.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Craftsman is harbor freight tier these days. Hell HF has a better warranty.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Frank Dillinger posted:

There’s so much snap-on poo poo that’s a giant waste of money, it’s just Gucci for mechanics. They sell most of their tools because they offer direct sales and financing, not because of the quality.

I mean, that doesn't disprove it, though?

I'm sure there are a lot of things that are not worth buying from Snap-On, no argument here. I think brand loyalty is rather insane - I certainly don't have all Snap-On in my toolbox. It's Wera screwdrivers, knipex cutters and pliers, Hazet, Snap-On, etc. edit: And Harbor Freight!

My point was not that all of their tools are amazing or worth the money. It was that the claim that the ONLY difference is the warranty is flawed, and there are definitely tools that are worth buying into the good ones/Tier 5. As an example: I have a ~6" long, 1/4" drive ratchet that I feel perfectly comfortable putting a foot on, and it ain't a Craftsman. (and, to that point, I've broken many (Craftsman/Husky/whatever) ratchets doing far less egregious things to.)

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 2, 2019

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I think the important point is that there is a very fuzzy grey area between group 4 and 5.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Craftsman is harbor freight tier these days. Hell HF has a better warranty.

HF still has a major quality range within their stores, though. Their newest stuff is easily a 3, but the cheaper tools on hand border between 1 and 2.

Vintage Craftsman bordered on a 4, now a lot of it has definitely slid down towards 2. I will say that their tools at Lowe's seem a bit nicer than what used to be in stock at Sears.

Then you've also got edge cases for individual products. On toolboxes for example - the only boxes with thinner steel and worse slides than a cheap Craftsman are going to be no name import junk. HF has them pretty squarely beat there.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Time will tell if SBD can breathe new life into Craftsman. Twas a shame what happened to the brand.

One thing I don't understand with HF is why the aren't attacking the screwdriver market more. Their wrenches, sockets, ratchets (well their pro versions) are in my opinion quite good as a shadetree but my god I'm surprised they haven't improved the screwdrivers.

I did have to laugh though at a recent HF ad I got. Was some air compressor. Well actually two. One was priced as $139.99 and labelled as "good". Next to it was one priced at 149.99 and labelled as "better". Hmmmm, should I break out the extra ten in my wallet...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think SBD has the ability to do something good with Craftsman, and the exec I was sitting next to on a plane said they had great plans, but corporate :911: who knows.

I'm curious as to what's going to happen to the Kenmore name.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

HF still has a major quality range within their stores, though. Their newest stuff is easily a 3, but the cheaper tools on hand border between 1 and 2.

Vintage Craftsman bordered on a 4, now a lot of it has definitely slid down towards 2. I will say that their tools at Lowe's seem a bit nicer than what used to be in stock at Sears.

Then you've also got edge cases for individual products. On toolboxes for example - the only boxes with thinner steel and worse slides than a cheap Craftsman are going to be no name import junk. HF has them pretty squarely beat there.

The very last time I tried to do a warranty return on a Craftsman ratchet (4 years ago?) they told me they didn't have one in store so they couldn't do anything for me. Meanwhile I shattered a HF socket and they gave me a new one in exchange for the pieces I brought in.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
There's a lot of overlap and intermingling when it comes to tool OEMs:

https://toolguyd.com/tool-brands-corporate-affiliations/

From the comments, although this is outdated now:

quote:

Craftsman’s hand tools come from EVERYWHERE. Apex Tool Group makes a lot of their mechanics tools, Vaughan makes some of their hammers, Stride used to make some of Craftsman’s wire strippers (and Klein’s as well), Knipex made two Craftsman water pump-style adjustable pliers, Keter makes some of Craftsman’s tool boxes, Waterloo makes a lot of Craftsman’s tool chests and cabinets, Bosch produces some of Craftsman’s power tools (e.g. Dremel-style rotary tools) and accessories, Wilde used to make Craftsman’s pry bars, and Western Forge produces (or used to produce) some of Craftsman’s screwdrivers and pliers.

Here's a thread dedicated to finding the OEMs for different tool truck brand tools:
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136120

Frank Dillinger posted:

The pricing kind of makes sense if you think of it as paying for a lifetime supply of said tool that gets delivered to you right away. The garagejournal thread does show the the OEM for a lot of Snap-On stuff, so if you don't need a replacement RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW it doesn't make sense to pay the tool truck mark up (unless you want all your stuff to match, in which case I kind of do and also don't understand). For example:

Snap-On Bits = Zephyr
Snap-On Dead Blow Hammer = Trusty Cook
Snap-On Locking Pliers = Grip On

Even Snap-On has subsidiaries that offer the exact same or like 95% identical products; CDI, Bahco, Williams and Sioux are the industrial lines and offer some great value, case in point:

https://shop.snapon.com/product/112TMMY
12 pc 1/4" Drive 6-Point Metric Flank Drive® Shallow Socket Set (5-15 mm)
$194

https://www.toolsdelivered.com/Williams-MSM-12HRC-Hand-Tools-Sockets-Drive-Tools-1-4-Inch-Drive-Chrome-Metric-Socket-Sets
Williams MSM-12HRC | 1\4in. Drive Shallow Socket Set 6-Pt 12-Piece (USA Made)
$37.33

More photo comparisons here:
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188250

With that said there are some things worth going to Snap-On for, the used market is the best route for this. Their tool chests, ratchets, Instinct handle screwdrivers, ratcheting screwdrivers, swivel sockets and pliers are definitely right at the top. But even then some competitors offer even higher quality products (PB Swiss screwdrivers and bits, Koken ratchets and sockets are downright beautiful and their extensions have some :black101: knurling).

I could go on and on, I think it pays to shop around and be selective. Even the top brands have duds in their catalogue and some lower tier brands (IE Harbor Freight) have some real gems.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 2, 2019

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Anyone with a recco on a good flex-head flare nut wrench set? I'm gonna have to borrow one for today (doing the steering rack on my 2000 CR-V :suicide:), but I want to have my own for the future.

Are the ratcheting ones any good?

Looking at these two Gearwrench sets at the moment:
Ratcheting Flex Head Flare-Nut Metric 89101D
Flex Head Flare-Nut Metric 81911D

I'd really like a set with locking flex heads, but I've only ever seen locking flex on Snap-on/Matco/MAC etc, and I'm not seeing it for flare-nut wrenches.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 4, 2019

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Thanks to this thread I now have a set of ratcheting metric wrenches that are leaps and bounds superior to the plastic and sheet metal Mastercraft ones I've managed to mostly destroy.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I got mine yesterday and they are really nice. Now to keep an eye out for some cheap SAE ones.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have my eye on their huge tap and die set. They usually discount the smaller one, but I want all the dumb sizes too.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Any recommendations for a battery powered fan that's strong enough to keep gnats away from my face while I'm hanging out in the forest? I hoping Milwaukee would have a M12 job site fan so I'd have an excuse to get a M12 fuel ratchet, but it looks like they only have M18 powered fans. Currently the only battery system I have is Ryobi 40V for my lawn mower, weed whacker, and leaf blower, and some lovely craftsman drills.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

How about a Thermacell?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

...strong enough to keep gnats away from my face while I'm hanging out in the forest...

..Ryobi 40V ...leaf blower

Sounds like your problem is solved.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Kastivich posted:

I got mine yesterday and they are really nice. Now to keep an eye out for some cheap SAE ones.

I bought the metric set 3 years ago on a link from this thread, the sae set was on sale at the same time, but I haven't seen it for sale since.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

angryrobots posted:

How about a Thermacell?

I hadn't heard of those, but I think I'll pick one up because as of right now my ankles are covered in bites. I'm not sure they will keep gnats out of my ears/eyes though.

boxen posted:

Sounds like your problem is solved.

That would solve the problem of my tinnitus bothering me more in the forest / places with absolutely no sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I hadn't heard of those, but I think I'll pick one up because as of right now my ankles are covered in bites. I'm not sure they will keep gnats out of my ears/eyes though.

Maybe just a simple over-the-head mosquito net? I have one of those for hiking/fishing in the Sierras. Simple effective and cheap.

Won't give you an excuse to buy a ratchet though, haha.