Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

fingerling posted:

but I was commuting a lot at the time and bought the most restrictive baffle also (pointless, didn't use as it royally kills responsiveness+makes bike silent).

Ok, so much for that idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FBS posted:

65 degrees out today, I wish I could start every riding season with weather like that.

We got torrential, like biblical rain last night, enough that I’m pretty confident there isn’t any salt on the ground and I feel fine starting to ride the Goldwing any time its warm enough that there isn’t ice on the ground.

Midwestern Springtime is weird

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

After many years of wanting one, I finally realized my childhood dream and bought myself a Honda bike.

I don't care that I'm drat near 40 this isn't a midlife crisis THIS ISN'T A MIDLIFE CRISIS.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It'd be a crisis if that were a fireblade, as it is your only crisis will be meeting too many of the nicest people.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

brokenknee posted:

After many years of wanting one, I finally realized my childhood dream and bought myself a Honda bike.

I don't care that I'm drat near 40 this isn't a midlife crisis THIS ISN'T A MIDLIFE CRISIS.

If you die within the next 20 years (possibly crashing the bike) it won't have been a mid-life crisis ;)

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

The one in the middle is mine. Went and cleaned it and had a mini ride this weekend to make sure all was good and ready for the warmer weather coming in proper.

Had a blast getting out and not having to blast myself in a warm shower to function after :lol:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
The weather was above zero for the first time in a while. Those dirty brown lumps in the background are ice volcanos on lake Huron.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Signs don't matter to me if I can't read them.

Nice bike otherwise!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
What's an ice volcano?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Yo let me get just like, one 3090ti.

Pleasantly surprised by how much of this winter has afforded opportunities to ride without having to plug my pants in, but it seems like for every 10 days of bitter cold and snow, there's maybe 1 day of tolerable riding.

I had to pack it in kinda quick the other day because I was getting sprayed with salt water as everything melted. Massachusetts sucks from like, January to late April.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Strife posted:

Yo let me get just like, one 3090ti.

Pleasantly surprised by how much of this winter has afforded opportunities to ride without having to plug my pants in, but it seems like for every 10 days of bitter cold and snow, there's maybe 1 day of tolerable riding.

I had to pack it in kinda quick the other day because I was getting sprayed with salt water as everything melted. Massachusetts sucks from like, January to late April.

excellent bike

also lol I lucked out getting my 3080. I bought a 2070 from EVGA like 1yr ago or something and signed up for their step up program on a lark. no way I’d have been able to get one any other way :(

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I stood in line in the cold from 5AM-10AM three days in a row to finally get a card (ended up with a 3090), and that would now be a good buying experience because I only had to pay MSRP

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I bought a 3070ti like the week before bitcoin crashed

:owned:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

MetaJew posted:

What's an ice volcano?

So on the great lakes which are basically freshwater seas you can get some pretty heavy wave action. These lakes rarely freeze over but usually the shore has ice. The waves coming off the lake hit that ice and build pressure under the ice sheet that forces water up through any cracks.

Over time that ice cold water and slush builds up and you end up with a cone like a volcano. And if it is wavy it looks like it is erupting.

Side note they are loving dangerous because if you fall in good luck getting out.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

helno posted:

The weather was above zero for the first time in a while. Those dirty brown lumps in the background are ice volcanos on lake Huron.

Nice bike!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Took the hawk to stock up on amazing bagels. If i didn't have the top box I'd have had to take the car. Instead I got a really wonderful ride on a beautiful (for this awful time of year) day!

It cannot be stated enough how satisfying the hawk is. It's basically all I need in a bike for the Motorcycle Experience (tm)

helno posted:

So on the great lakes which are basically freshwater seas you can get some pretty heavy wave action. These lakes rarely freeze over but usually the shore has ice. The waves coming off the lake hit that ice and build pressure under the ice sheet that forces water up through any cracks.

Over time that ice cold water and slush builds up and you end up with a cone like a volcano. And if it is wavy it looks like it is erupting.

Side note they are loving dangerous because if you fall in good luck getting out.

How big do these things get that you could fall in? Totally terrifying either way.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Need pictures of the topbox full of bagels.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

brokenknee posted:

Nice bike otherwise!

Thanks

Coydog posted:

How big do these things get that you could fall in? Totally terrifying either way.

They can get really large if the conditions are right. The big ones this year are 10-15 feet tall. The killer part is the fall into the ice cold water.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
When I was a child, my grandfather would often take me out to the nearby slough to go fishing. He passed about 10 years ago, and I hadn't been out there since. Today I decided to head out there on my bike. When I asked around, I found out the dock he used to have his boat at burned down... around 10 years ago. Oh well. At least I managed to get a nice picture of my bike out of it all, though you can't see the water much.

Edit: I... should probably take those "WEAR YOUR HELMET" stickers off the tank.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 13, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

unimportantguy posted:

When I was a child, my grandfather would often take me out to the nearby slough to go fishing. He passed about 10 years ago, and I hadn't been out there since. Today I decided to head out there on my bike. When I asked around, I found out the dock he used to have his boat at burned down... around 10 years ago. Oh well. At least I managed to get a nice picture of my bike out of it all, though you can't see the water much.

Woah this color in the sun is so nice!

Glad you were able to literally ride down memory lane.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Russian Bear posted:

Woah this color in the sun is so nice!

The pictures on Honda's web site don't do it justice at all. It's actually a really good color, but the publicity photos all make it look dark and drab.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

unimportantguy posted:

The pictures on Honda's web site don't do it justice at all. It's actually a really good color, but the publicity photos all make it look dark and drab.

That's so Honda

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

unimportantguy posted:

Edit: I... should probably take those "WEAR YOUR HELMET" stickers off the tank.

God drat I really like the lines and color of that bike.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

That is very sharp! Definitely looks way lighter in the sun, nice.

Who needs an adv bike? (not pictured - pavement off screen :v: )

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Beautiful shot and lovely bike!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bob on Monday lunch time ride. Did 60 miles. Beautiful weather.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 17, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That headlight is :kiss:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't understand why none of the other brands have attempted a light like that. Like yeah you see see adventurous lights on novelty bullshit like on the Grom, or KTM's, but at soon as it's a proper bike they're back to reproducing early 2000's lights just with LED's. Even Ducati can't come up with anything better than "1098 lights but smaller, with LED's". Like come on you can make them literally any shape you like, there's cars coming out with Tron taillights ffs.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

unimportantguy posted:

When I was a child, my grandfather would often take me out to the nearby slough to go fishing.

I was quite confused until the picture. Who takes their kid to Slough, and what do you fish there? Car tyres?

Turns out you weren’t talking about the most depressing city in England.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Rode the Big ‘n Ugly today for the first time this year.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Every time you post your little Dr I miss mine a bit.

That’s one of the best bikes ever made imo. I really don’t think the DRZ, good as it is, is an adequate replacement.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Older photo from last year:

On Saturday, I sold my KTM 500 EXC F in two hours on FB Marketplace. That's always been my experience with selling poo poo private party. Price it a little under market and it's gone right away. "Market price", it sits around forever and you have to deal with the worst people.

Was a fun bike for a minute, but I lost interest in dual sport life after I sold my CRB for the Super Duke. The Super Duke is just so loving good.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

dema posted:

Older photo from last year:

On Saturday, I sold my KTM 500 EXC F in two hours on FB Marketplace. That's always been my experience with selling poo poo private party. Price it a little under market and it's gone right away. "Market price", it sits around forever and you have to deal with the worst people.

Was a fun bike for a minute, but I lost interest in dual sport life after I sold my CRB for the Super Duke. The Super Duke is just so loving good.

Hmm, near Stave Lake? I took the more comfortable way in.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Oh, that’s awesome.

Roughly the right part of the world, but a few hundred miles east. Priest Lake in north Idaho.

I did a sea plane tour of the area the same weekend. Was very rad.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Horse Clocks posted:

I was quite confused until the picture. Who takes their kid to Slough, and what do you fish there? Car tyres?

Turns out you weren’t talking about the most depressing city in England.

I too was confused by the exact same thing.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

A little top up while I stretched.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Beautiful.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Roads were a little dirty. But still, lovely spring day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Absolutely love it, fiery orange KTM against an icy background.