Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Xarbala posted:

Yeah, Weekly Shonen Jump has a pretty "boy's club" mentality and it's comes through in a lot of places.

Heck One Piece introduced a female fighter with an interesting backstory a few arcs back and narratively tossed her into a bin in the sidelines in order to focus on her father. And a bunch of readers were all like "yes, I prefer her as a distressed damsel to be protected by her much more important father, who I really sympathize with, and if you had kids you would understand."

Let's be real, Rebecca wasn't actually that interesting. It was a pretty boilerplate One Piece Tragic Backstory™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imo it sucks that shonen jump is as boys clubby as it is because not everybody who wants to read the rough genre of story you find in wsj is going to be the sort of person who fits into the boys club and where that mismatch is evident it's generally in a way thats both unpleasant and also kind of unnecessary

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TriffTshngo posted:

Let's be real, Rebecca wasn't actually that interesting. It was a pretty boilerplate One Piece Tragic Backstory™.

still more interesting than her dad and would have made that fight/arc less of a drag for a female character to get to do something again

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

For a while I actually mentally logged Kyros' own perspectives as part of Rebecca's backstory so it made her seem more interesting than intended. Though the retroactive reveal that no, actually Kyros is the real focus character of the subplot kind of chilled the entire thing over for me, and I don't think I'm alone on that.

Now that it's done I get what Oda was going for and I respect that, but I'm not going to lie and say I liked how it turned out. Especially in a serialization, and even a magazine, centered around fights and adventures that routinely gives short shrift to female characters as fighters and adventurers in their own right.

Runa fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 19, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The one legged soldier was cooler and more interesting than the generic bikini woman

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Blockhouse posted:

still more interesting than her dad and would have made that fight/arc less of a drag for a female character to get to do something again

For sure, as much as I was basically neutral toward Rebecca and Kyros it still obviously would've been better if she weren't needlessly shuffled to the side the way she was. Her fighting style had potential for something interesting to happen.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

EmmyOk posted:

The one legged soldier was cooler and more interesting than the generic bikini woman

I found Kyros so forgettable I actually didn't remember he had one leg until I read this sentence

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I found Kyros so forgettable I actually didn't remember he had one leg until I read this sentence

No no specifically the soldier

e: but as a human he was still less boring than rebecca incredibly

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
It's pretty unfortunate, because my roommate who usually does not care for shonen at all has actually really gotten into the BNHA anime but every time Mineta is on the screen or they do a bunch of shots of Momo's boobs I nervously glance at her because if anything is going to get her to drop this series it's poo poo like that.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Does miners even do anything after failing to creep on the girls at the camp? The closest he gets to anything is the Room competition.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Viridiant posted:

It's pretty unfortunate, because my roommate who usually does not care for shonen at all has actually really gotten into the BNHA anime but every time Mineta is on the screen or they do a bunch of shots of Momo's boobs I nervously glance at her because if anything is going to get her to drop this series it's poo poo like that.
I'm starting to think that MHA has a problem that it has a lot of appeal outside of its niche and just enough things that are extremely anime/shounen to give those people pause.

It's weird watching chunks of the fanbase seemingly discover that shounen has stuff like fanservice and tends to give the short shrift to female characters because the demo/editors have a distaste for girls getting the poo poo beaten out of them like the dudes.

I as I've said before am more like "Count your blessings :shrug:" because I've seen so, so much worse.

Like I've seen an unironic tumblr contingent of Fairy Tail fans. You think some MHA fans struggle with typical "problematic" shounen cliches than wow you have not seen the sheer amount of poo poo Fairy Tail readers had to memory hole.

Also One Piece with the Okama. Yes, Bon Clay/Ivankov own but there is a literal extended training gag of a main character getting super strong because he had to run away from an island full of gay crossdresser stereotypes trying to molest him. 90% of One Piece women are now weird hourglass figurines.

Dr. Stone is good but battle cavegirl gets plenty of rear end shots with more to come no doubt and there's a literal tournament to bewed her ill sister.

Right now in Kimetsu no Yaiba the main crew are disguised as prostitutes in a redlight district tracking a demon with a fellow demon hunter who has multiple wives. Granted, the redlight district is just mirroring the real life setting (Taisho Era Japan) but still. This series also has a token pervert as a main cast member.

etc etc.

Like, Horikoshi not totally getting how to handle a trans character or having a dumb costume or two is small potatoes really.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

A lot of the recent whining I've seen on twitter and elsewhere about the series is focused on endless, endless bitching about Momo's costume and lack of the girls getting fights/focus.

My answer is generally: have you read much shounen jump

The real issue with the girls not getting any fights or focus is that this arc was seeming to set up for that but then nothing was done with it and in many earlier arcs the girls were far more relevant and people are disappointed. Toga has been getting some focus though so that's cool but goddamn Uraraka owns and she should get to do stuff because she's great!!

Also, several series in Jump are doing pretty decently with female characters. Not Battle Shonens generally, but there are manga in Jump that are good about giving female charaters focus and development, so people who are just reading Jump could still be disappointed by mha in comparison even if it's still better than most of it's contemporaries. Promised Neverland has a female lead and several female villains one of which is shonen villain of the year imo. And although Shokugeki no Soma is probably Jump's most fanservice heavy series and i've sorta lost interest recently, a lot of the girls are important and get pretty decent focus and development. They even face guys sometimes (maybe most of the time actually?) although the focus is still on the dudes for the most part.

Like, I haven't really been too bothered by these things although I wise Uraraka was doing something in Yakuza arc but I imagine not all of the people complaining are just being pedantic or are completely unfamiliar with shonen.

TriffTshngo posted:

The idea that the crowd was always making GBS threads on her so her fighting style was about constantly having her back to them and never turning to them was a solid concept that I enjoyed.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Like, Horikoshi not totally getting how to handle a trans character or having a dumb costume or two is small potatoes really.

The thing is, in comparison to the vast majority of japanese media he's actually handled trans characters pretty well. In comparison.

actually he's probably done it a lot better than most western stuff too to be honest

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The real issue with the girls not getting any fights or focus is that this arc was seeming to set up for that but then nothing was done with it and in many earlier arcs the girls were far more relevant and people are disappointed. Toga has been getting some focus though so that's cool but goddamn Uraraka owns and she should get to do stuff because she's great!!

Also, several series in Jump are doing pretty decently with female characters. Not Battle Shonens generally, but there are manga in Jump that are good about giving female charaters focus and development, so people who are just reading Jump could still be disappointed by mha in comparison even if it's still better than most of it's contemporaries. Promised Neverland has a female lead and several female villains one of which is shonen villain of the year imo. And although Shokugeki no Soma is probably Jump's most fanservice heavy series and i've sorta lost interest recently, a lot of the girls are important and get pretty decent focus and development. They even face guys sometimes (maybe most of the time actually?) although the focus is still on the dudes for the most part.

Like, I haven't really been too bothered by these things although I wise Uraraka was doing something in Yakuza arc but I imagine not all of the people complaining are just being pedantic or are completely unfamiliar with shonen.
Just want to say that Emma from The Promised Neverland does indeed own.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

:yeah:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Hell yeah

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Fabricated posted:

I'm starting to think that MHA has a problem that it has a lot of appeal outside of its niche and just enough things that are extremely anime/shounen to give those people pause.

It's weird watching chunks of the fanbase seemingly discover that shounen has stuff like fanservice and tends to give the short shrift to female characters because the demo/editors have a distaste for girls getting the poo poo beaten out of them like the dudes.

I as I've said before am more like "Count your blessings :shrug:" because I've seen so, so much worse.

Like I've seen an unironic tumblr contingent of Fairy Tail fans. You think some MHA fans struggle with typical "problematic" shounen cliches than wow you have not seen the sheer amount of poo poo Fairy Tail readers had to memory hole.

Also One Piece with the Okama. Yes, Bon Clay/Ivankov own but there is a literal extended training gag of a main character getting super strong because he had to run away from an island full of gay crossdresser stereotypes trying to molest him. 90% of One Piece women are now weird hourglass figurines.

Dr. Stone is good but battle cavegirl gets plenty of rear end shots with more to come no doubt and there's a literal tournament to bewed her ill sister.

Right now in Kimetsu no Yaiba the main crew are disguised as prostitutes in a redlight district tracking a demon with a fellow demon hunter who has multiple wives. Granted, the redlight district is just mirroring the real life setting (Taisho Era Japan) but still. This series also has a token pervert as a main cast member.

etc etc.

One thing that I can say for the manga is that to my memory it is nowhere near as bad with the fanservice shots as the anime is. So if she does get tired of it my plan is to recommend she at least still keep up with the manga. I mean, that's the reason Pop-Step's role in the spinoff was taken so badly at first. It wasn't typical of BNHA.

I think that's another reason people are so disappointed with the Ochako and the others' fight being off screen so far. To my recollection it has never happened before, the girls are usually included in the action in this series. Hell, the very first fight was Mt. Lady stealing the spotlight from Kamui Woods. It led straight to fanservice, but still.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

It might be a combination of this arc going a bit longer than some of the others and the narrative focus being all on Deku and Mirio. The only sidelined character I'm really miffed about is the girl of the Big 3, I didn't even remember what her power was since she got so little focus compared to the other two.

It does feel like a half-step backwards since the girls usually get a decent amount of focus, but I'm hopeful it won't be a continual issue going forward :shrug: .

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah up to this arc it felt like the female characters got a decent amount of focus especially in comparison to other series in the same vein. However this arc has been all the male ones getting showcased with the exception of Mina being in a flashback and Toga. The girl being an object to rescue doesn't really count. I think a better way to have paced this if the intent really was to drag it out a little while the artist thinks up new ideas (as some people have theorized) would have been to skip the flashbacks and switch to what was happening at the gate. At this point even though I would have been interested in how the girls beat their own encounter the arc has been going on long enough that I'd like it to resolve sooner than later.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shokugeki's problem there is that the girls always lose when they face a guy, afaik that recent match was the first time that trend got broken onscreen in about 200 chapters and about half that fight got offscreened. It was pretty conspicuous when all three of the top 8 finalists got knocked out first round (did the same thing happen In MHA's tournament? I remember Ochako and Momo were out early and Kaminari got his rear end kicked, but that was also Kaminari). It breaks convention a bit in that Erina is far and away above most of the other main characters but it's also a little bit of an informed thing, and she's never had a proper match since that one chump from like 6 chapters in.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mina at least won her first match in the tournament.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ochako lost to the tournament champ who just kinda mercilessly demolished everyone but Todoroki, and even Baukugo had to use a full power blast that physically strained him to win that fight. Idk, the girls are all likable at worst and Alien Queen/Uravity are pretty consistently great characters that I like more than, say, Tenya and Todoroki (not that I don't like them).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Tenya is pretty great and Todoroki is much better than he has any right to be as the brooding wunderkind who hates his parents.

I really like the class which is a pretty great achievement for an ensemble .

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the tournament had a few girls: ochako, momo, the poison ivy impersonator, hatsume, and ashida

poison ivy and ashida won their first fights, tho hatsume clowned on poor iida before walking out on her own. none of them made it past the top 8

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

the tournament had a few girls: ochako, momo, the poison ivy impersonator, hatsume, and ashida

poison ivy and ashida won their first fights, tho hatsume clowned on poor iida before walking out on her own. none of them made it past the top 8

Deku also failed to make it past the top 8.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Radish posted:

Tenya is pretty great and Todoroki is much better than he has any right to be as the brooding wunderkind who hates his parents.

Is Todoroki even that brooding anymore? He's more of a dork than anything to me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Radish posted:

Tenya and Shoto are both good boys with good character arcs, I just think Ochako/Mina are better. Like how all the strawhats are good but Luffy/Zoro are top tier.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Radish posted:

todoroki is a good boy who loves his mom despite her faults.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is Todoroki even that brooding anymore? He's more of a dork than anything to me.

They're just describing his initial showing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

todoroki is a good boy who loves his mom despite her faults.

Well, sure, Todoroki looked inside himself and realized everyone goes through their own problems, and that it would be the pot calling the kettle black if he didn't

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Viridiant posted:

She loves mineta and wishes he was real so she could kiss him.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well, sure, Todoroki looked inside himself and realized everyone goes through their own problems, and that it would be the pot calling the kettle black if he didn't

And who knows pots and kettles better than a kid doused in boiling water????

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Last Celebration posted:

Ochako lost to the tournament champ who just kinda mercilessly demolished everyone including Todoroki, and even Baukugo had to use a full power blast that physically strained him to win that fight. Idk, the girls are all likable at worst and Alien Queen/Uravity are pretty consistently great characters that I like more than, say, Tenya and Todoroki (not that I don't like them).

Fixed this for you. Uraraka was arguably the most difficult opponent Bakugou actually fought in that entire tournament. Kirishima he just had to hit a lot, flash grenades made short work of Tokoyami, and Todoroki couldn't use his fire and got pummeled. Uraraka actually legitimately outplayed Bakugou in that fight, even if she didn't have the power to actually beat him.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah Todoroki started very clearly as that sort of brooding character but ended up being a much better.

Exercu posted:

Fixed this for you. Uraraka was arguably the most difficult opponent Bakugou actually fought in that entire tournament. Kirishima he just had to hit a lot, flash grenades made short work of Tokoyami, and Todoroki couldn't use his fire and got pummeled. Uraraka actually legitimately outplayed Bakugou in that fight, even if she didn't have the power to actually beat him.

If the plot didn't need a Bakugou/Todoroki final she easily could have won that fight without it feeling weird at all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Viridiant posted:

someone glancing at you often in the corner of your eye would be infinitely more unsettling than seeing tits in anime honestly

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I love tits

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Josuke Higashikata posted:

someone glancing at you often in the corner of your eye would be infinitely more unsettling than seeing tits in anime honestly

"Every time there's tits on screen this weirdo turns to wide eyed stare at me." is like 1000% way weirder than a booby being on screen.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Exercu posted:

Tbh I felt it was slightly unfair to mention Todoroki since he was pretty clearly in a funk after his match with Deku, hence the heart-attack inducing levels of salt at the awards ceremony.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tits on screen? stare at girl would give me the "they want to gently caress me, i should go get some pepper spray" feels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Josuke Higashikata posted:

tits on screen? stare at girl would give me the "they want to gently caress me, i should go get some pepper spray" feels

Its that and the idea behind if has a whiff of "Oh no I should check up on her and see if shes handling this well, gotta protect her feelings" creepiness.

If she doesn't like she'll say something, you don't need to babysit another person's emotional responses.