Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lobok posted:

I don't actually like his acting all that much either but I think it would totally fit for a character who we know is a child pretending to be an adult. A hero who says the right heroic things but it sounds like a put-on somehow.

You'd still be better off with a good actor if you want that to come across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak wouldn't know a good actor if one punched him in the face and despite all the letters I've sent the Rock still hasn't done it.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I thought Dave Bautista would be terrible and he was terrible in everything else I had seen him in... but then he turned around and was the best thing ever in Guardians.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shawn posted:

I thought Dave Bautista would be terrible and he was terrible in everything else I had seen him in... but then he turned around and was the best thing ever in Guardians.

I knew Batista had potential to be a great actor basically the first time I saw him in an interview.

Aphrodite posted:

Lurdiak wouldn't know a good actor if one punched him in the face and despite all the letters I've sent the Rock still hasn't done it.

I hope you get shot in the face in slow motion by Karl Urban.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was on the fence with Batista but then somebody posted this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGOKAVPYZOw

And I knew it would all be okay.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhyno posted:

From what I've read, Batista for Guardians got a double whammy of actually taking acting classes for the role and comic relief apparently being much easier for him. Batista's known to be a charming, big-hearted goofball in real life and what I've read about the making of Guardians suggest he's just plain better at comedic roles than at dramatic warrior or thug types.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53h0sXFuqlI

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I will always pull for my wrestling guys. I knew Batista had the potential, he just needed the right shot. It was funny to go from hating him in 2014 to thinking he was the best part of Guardians.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The guy you need to play Captain Marvel is clearly the Miz.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

He IS the best. I met him years and years ago, after the Real World but before WWE and he's this incredibly nice clown who will hug you and then headbutt you.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
WWE Wrestlers being entertaining actors shouldn't be surprising as that's their job. Now, more of the focus is on being physical and putting on a good show in the ring, but guys that can't put on a convincing character outside the ring simply get forgotten along the way.

It's acting, but it's more circus than movie set. It's a different set of skills. It's not Shakespeare, it's General Hospital with body slams and finishing moves.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Article about The Fandom freaking out about rumors and speculation in movies

quote:

There are also endless rumors based on early-stage reactions to some of these films during actual later stages of development and filming -- be it reactions by executives or producers to the concepts, or low-level assistants reacting to their own preferences for casting. We hear rumors and reports about supposed "studio" reactions to dailies or early screenings, with some sources insisting "the film is bad, it's a mess, everyone hates it," or "the film is great, everyone loves it, there's nothing wrong." These claims compete against one another, but typically it's the negative assertions of reactions that get the most attention and to which fans react the most strongly.

We saw this when a bunch of bogus reports and articles claimed Wonder Woman was bad, was a mess, and was causing worry at the studio. It was of course nonsense, either entirely fabricated by people falsely pretending to have seen the film and offering their negative reactions to press, or people who saw some portion or aspect of the film and objected for whatever reasons and then took it out publicly (albeit anonymously, of course) against the film. Fan sites are eager to spread these worrying claims, no matter how illegitimate they obviously are, because they know how the math works: negative articles attract more fan attention, get more fan discussion, and get shared around more often, even if fans are dismissing the article. A report claiming insiders saw the film and it's bad, or that there's some trouble happening that threatens the project, will cause fans to flock to an article, and that sound you hear is "cha-ching!" as the ad revenue piles up.

He focuses on the fan side of things but the entertainment journalism industry absolutely feeds this problem and I wouldn't be surprised to learn there are entire teams of studio employees who wargame rumors and strategize leaks. Not to mention competing factions within a film trying to use backlash to shape a movie closer to their vision than the other producers/director/editor/execs/whoever.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

zoux posted:

Article about The Fandom freaking out about rumors and speculation in movies

He focuses on the fan side of things but the entertainment journalism industry absolutely feeds this problem and I wouldn't be surprised to learn there are entire teams of studio employees who wargame rumors and strategize leaks. Not to mention competing factions within a film trying to use backlash to shape a movie closer to their vision than the other producers/director/editor/execs/whoever.

Oh absolutely. However cynical you suspect the industry might be you're almost certainly underestimating it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The set up and punchline for his sensitive nipples was masterful

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Wheat Loaf posted:

No way.

The Miz as BOOSTER GOLD

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

No way.

The Miz as BOOSTER GOLD

As it happens, The Miz would agree.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/04/27/the-miz-wants-to-play-dcs-booster-gold

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Miz and his terrible wife are a package deal though, so make sure to find a role for her.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

Miz and his terrible wife are a package deal though, so make sure to find a role for her.

She can voice Skeets

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cythereal posted:

From what I've read, Batista for Guardians got a double whammy of actually taking acting classes for the role and comic relief apparently being much easier for him. Batista's known to be a charming, big-hearted goofball in real life and what I've read about the making of Guardians suggest he's just plain better at comedic roles than at dramatic warrior or thug types.

Its just annoying that he still hasn't found a good follow up role and he is still getting cast as these dumb brutes.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
We'll see how he does in the new Blade Runner.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this! posted:

Its just annoying that he still hasn't found a good follow up role and he is still getting cast as these dumb brutes.

Does anyone remember when a Highlander remake was definitely happening and he was going to play the Kurgan?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Clancy brown. I don't care how old and fat he got.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While definitely older I don't think he's gotten fat. He looked fine when he was guesting on Sleepy Hollow.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I want the new Green Lantern to be Pauly Shore

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

fruit on the bottom posted:

I want the new Green Lantern to be Pauly Shore

Seamus as Guy Gardner.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So Gavin O'Conner is going to direct Suicide Squad 2

http://theplaylist.net/gavin-oconnor-suicide-squad-2-20170906/

Wasn't the Accountant absolute garbage?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

No, everything I heard about it was that it was perfectly fine. Nothing great but a decent middle of the road movie.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Hearing that they are making a sequel to that garbage is way more entertainment than I'll ever get from the actual movie.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Jamesman posted:

Hearing that they are making a sequel to that garbage is way more entertainment than I'll ever get from the actual movie.

What, you're over Oscar Award Winner Suicide Squad? Because I still find myself amused by that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

No, everything I heard about it was that it was perfectly fine. Nothing great but a decent middle of the road movie.

RT has it at 51% so that's like double what SS got.

I wonder what the increase of Harley/Joker content will be. 60, 70%?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I hope DC pulls a Chuck Tingle and stamp all Suicide Squad 2 movies with "The Sequel of the Academy Award Winner"

(but with less butt pounding)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I liked him in Bushwick.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Waiting for something on Syfy Channel to start and the Priest movie is on. Now that's a terrible adaptation. Literally the only thing it has in common with the original Korean comic is that it has vampires in it. In the movie the main character is part of this kung fu warrior group that is quasi-religious and call themselves "Priests" but in the comic the main character was literally a priest.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Yeah, there was an interview with the original comic artist and he said he liked the visuals and the fact they set it in the future of the world he created, but he really wished they had kept some of the philosophy he was trying to explain.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

twistedmentat posted:

The Accountant was alright. Not great or good, just ok. Affleck puts on a solid performance in a meh story. Miracle is good. Jane Got a Gun is bad. Warrior is really, really, really good. I saw the movie with my brother and it hit real close to home. Definitely recommend that one if you're want to get a feel for his writing/directing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waiting for something on Syfy Channel to start and the Priest movie is on. Now that's a terrible adaptation. Literally the only thing it has in common with the original Korean comic is that it has vampires in it. In the movie the main character is part of this kung fu warrior group that is quasi-religious and call themselves "Priests" but in the comic the main character was literally a priest.

Karl Urban is fuckig brilliant in it though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

catlord posted:

What, you're over Oscar Award Winner Suicide Squad? Because I still find myself amused by that.

It has more academy awards than Taxi Driver.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

All this time I've been under the impression that Priest was an Underworld spin-off. I have no clue where I even got that idea from. :confused:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

fruit on the bottom posted:

It has more academy awards than Taxi Driver.

You could say the same for Norbitt. Plus both movies have exactly the same amount of Oscar wins as Goodfellas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Really makes you think

• Locked thread