Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

fwiw it's not obvious to me that this is *that* big a deal. i doubt anyone actually thinks that russia is going to start serious poo poo in the nordics (tbh i doubt they ever did beyond in some cases a moment of panic following the invasion of ukraine) and they were already sort of honourary members. politicians really do prefer to avoid publicly breaking laws like this, and it's not the end of 2001 with a completely psychotic US government breathing down everyone's necks. erdogan being intransigent also sort of settles the issue domestically, and i doubt that the americans will be too pissed at sweden and finland not seriously violating their norms for his benefit. it may just end with the membership application being on ice until a more agreeable turkish government emerges - i certainly don't see at least sweden returning to a formal policy of neutrality any time soon, given the very strong pro-american political current sweeping the land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

V. Illych L. posted:

fwiw it's not obvious to me that this is *that* big a deal. i doubt anyone actually thinks that russia is going to start serious poo poo in the nordics (tbh i doubt they ever did beyond in some cases a moment of panic following the invasion of ukraine) and they were already sort of honourary members. politicians really do prefer to avoid publicly breaking laws like this, and it's not the end of 2001 with a completely psychotic US government breathing down everyone's necks. erdogan being intransigent also sort of settles the issue domestically, and i doubt that the americans will be too pissed at sweden and finland not seriously violating their norms for his benefit. it may just end with the membership application being on ice until a more agreeable turkish government emerges - i certainly don't see at least sweden returning to a formal policy of neutrality any time soon, given the very strong pro-american political current sweeping the land.

I agree and the reasonable thing would be to just meet Turkey's bullshit straight on and put the onus on them to move, and be on the wait list until they buckle. Sweden is not in a dire need to join NATO now, not after Russia shot themselves in the foot over and over in 2022. Putting the blame on Turkey and wait would be a much better move than to meet Erdogan's demands, but then it seems both S and M showed themselves to be really happy at the chance to kow-tow to authoritarian regimes.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

The Swedish government has nothing to lose by waiting.

Erdrogan on the other hand probably has some pretty big NATO players breathing down his neck.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lilljonas posted:

I agree and the reasonable thing would be to just meet Turkey's bullshit straight on and put the onus on them to move, and be on the wait list until they buckle. Sweden is not in a dire need to join NATO now, not after Russia shot themselves in the foot over and over in 2022. Putting the blame on Turkey and wait would be a much better move than to meet Erdogan's demands, but then it seems both S and M showed themselves to be really happy at the chance to kow-tow to authoritarian regimes.

well i mean that last part is sort of given following the official decision to become a US client, but the main difference between what sweden and finland have now and what they'd get as formal NATO members are basically all arms deals and access to another batch of cushy international jobs. that's worth changing some laws and sacrificing a few annoying dissidents, but i don't think it's worth flagrantly breaking their own rules - though we will see, of course. where there's political will, there's usually a way.

it's also not something that can be officially admitted - formally, the reason to join NATO has to be that joining NATO is necessary for national security. if it is publicly agreed that it *isn't*, then it's a hard to argue that you shouldn't have an actual public debate about it (this was largely foregone during the actual decision-making process, under the pretext of an acute threat of invasion - in which, to reiterate, i don't think anyone really believed for more than a week or two), and that public debate could spin out of control and have unpleasant consequences unless very carefully managed.

Feliday Melody posted:

The Swedish government has nothing to lose by waiting.

Erdrogan on the other hand probably has some pretty big NATO players breathing down his neck.

erdogan is actually pretty good at playing foreign policy hardball like this and has done it for a long time, with considerable success. see stoltenberg's remarks about how we have to be understanding of turkish security concerns as an example of turkey's position in NATO - it is entirely arguable that, while the USA is far and away the most important country in NATO, turkey's at least a strong contender for number two. the USA clearly wants them in, but doesn't seem to feel that strongly about it - and that means that the turks get to wring whatever they can out of the new prospects.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

V. Illych L. posted:

erdogan is actually pretty good at playing foreign policy hardball like this and has done it for a long time, with considerable success. see stoltenberg's remarks about how we have to be understanding of turkish security concerns as an example of turkey's position in NATO - it is entirely arguable that, while the USA is far and away the most important country in NATO, turkey's at least a strong contender for number two. the USA clearly wants them in, but doesn't seem to feel that strongly about it - and that means that the turks get to wring whatever they can out of the new prospects.

But if Sweden refuses to negotiate, then Turkey has nothing to gain from blocking Sweden's entry, but probably some things to lose diplomatically.

They are playing this game solely to wring free stuff out of new members. Not that they have any genuine concerns.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Feliday Melody posted:

But if Sweden refuses to negotiate, then Turkey has nothing to gain from blocking Sweden's entry, but probably some things to lose diplomatically.

They are playing this game solely to wring free stuff out of new members. Not that they have any genuine concerns.

It lets Erdogan feel good about swinging his big balls around.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

It lets Erdogan feel good about swinging his big balls around.

Sadly we have a wet blanket for prime minister who seems completely star struck being close to Big Boys.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Potrzebie posted:

Sadly we have a wet blanket for prime minister who seems completely star struck being close to Big Boys.

Wet blankets can at least serve some sort of beneficial purpose, no need to disparage them

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nice piece of fish posted:

Well then hold on to your butt because I'm about to explain to you why Atle Antonsen is completely innocent:

lmao no that motherfucker is guilty as gently caress are you kidding me. Yeah he has to go the route of trying to convince the court is was an attempt at a joke but even that is gonna be a stretch; you're actually not allowed to publicly mock someone's skin color even if you yourself find that amusing.

The perception of the victim is paramount, her friend is not gonna loving go for the joke angle either, and the victim herself can't really believe it was a joke that hard either because she went and filed a police report. You don't do that for bad jokes.

She felt genuinely threatened or attacked and anyone, ANYONE in their right mind would realize that. So even if he didn't intentionally do a racism, he did by gross negligence, and that's all you need. Drunkenness is irrelevant. That said the outcome of the criminal case is not certain and he very likely won't do actual time unless he has some priors I don't know about. He should do time though, it'd be an excellent example.

Henlagt lol

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

teen witch posted:

Wet blankets can at least serve some sort of beneficial purpose, no need to disparage them

Throw Uffe on a fire, he might be as useful as a wet blanket, who knows?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

do you have any idea as to why this would happen? like, would it be mutual consent or because the police doesn't much like this kind of affair or what?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Feliday Melody posted:

yeah, if sweden flat-out refuses to go any further then he's in the red except for the relatively minor concessions he's already managed to wring out of them (proscribing the PKK and ending the arms embargo being the bigger ones). the issue then is that he's vulnerable on the home front because the turkish ultranationalists can claim that he's letting himself get pushed around, since his government has taken a public position that the memorandum has not been fully satisfied. whether they think that it's worth caving to avoid NATO being annoyed at him or that it's worth NATO being annoyed with him to keep the local psychos happy is a separate equation, and not one which i pretend to be able to answer

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

V. Illych L. posted:

do you have any idea as to why this would happen? like, would it be mutual consent or because the police doesn't much like this kind of affair or what?

Yes, AA is a rich white male.

No, obviously we are not privvy to details about the incident and the reporting on the reasoning is atrocious, but in fact if the prosecution refuses to prosecute you are poo poo out of luck.

The basic idea here is that the prosecutor doesn't think he passes the bar for gross negligence and the victim didn't perceive it as malicious as necessary for it to be criminal. Basically, they think the "it was all a big misunderstanding"-defence is possible, so the joke angle works for Antonsen here. Do I agree? I obviously don't have the facts, and probably misread the situation but I'm not super convinced. I'd like more reasoning and facts here first.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Yes, AA is a rich white male.

No, obviously we are not privvy to details about the incident and the reporting on the reasoning is atrocious, but in fact if the prosecution refuses to prosecute you are poo poo out of luck.

The basic idea here is that the prosecutor doesn't think he passes the bar for gross negligence and the victim didn't perceive it as malicious as necessary for it to be criminal. Basically, they think the "it was all a big misunderstanding"-defence is possible, so the joke angle works for Antonsen here. Do I agree? I obviously don't have the facts, and probably misread the situation but I'm not super convinced. I'd like more reasoning and facts here first.

thanks

yeah i agree that the reasoning is on its face very strange. do you reckon we'll get more information, or is this it?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

V. Illych L. posted:

thanks

yeah i agree that the reasoning is on its face very strange. do you reckon we'll get more information, or is this it?

Well, no trial means no more information. I think this one boils down to a "he didn't mean it like that" situation, which the prosecution believes based on their evidence. This makes the behavior no less racist, but he then - possibly - lacks sufficient criminal intent for a case of criminal racism.

What I don't get is the gross negligence component. It's not easy to be held guilty of that but you don't need straight criminal intent. And from the papers the victim doesn't seem to agree this was a joke? Unintentional? So... I dunno, guess the police have information I don't. This is a pretty poo poo handling of this issue though, way to broadcast to all the "jokesters" out there how you beat a racism charge.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

You got multiple witnesses that could corroborate that this was racist and one who physically restrained him while Ai got away, but on the other hand:

AA is a rich white male.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
If you’re in Sthlm area and can work from home: please for the love of God do so.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

BigglesSWE posted:

If you’re in Sthlm area and can work from home: please for the love of God do so.

haha, the principal just emailed us asking all parents to pick up the kids at lunchtime so the staff won't have to spend the night at school. I love how Stockholm completely breaks down when snow happens. We just can't figure this stuff out.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This was so bizarre to hear about, when I lived in Sweden. Uppsala seemed to handle the snow perfectly fine, comparatively. I guess it’s also much smaller, but it’s still your default old European city with road planning for a traffic of 3 horse carts. :shrug:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We just get cold, no snow. My son keeps wishing for snow. I keep chopping firewood, getting up in the morning and it's 17C indoors, Really don't wanna get out from under the covers...

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I’m working on the MTR commute trains and all my trains have been cancelled this morning. The weather has hosed with a bunch of signals all over the place and a snow clearing vehicle derailed somewhere on the way to Nynäshamn and it pulled down some power lines, which at the best of times is a whole day to fix but during this storm? Woof.

I’m having a blast though, every chaotic day is more fun when you’re getting paid to do nothing.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I still do not get how anywhere in Sweden is baffled by the existence of snow and that in order for the country to function, you must handle and deal with the snow.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

teen witch posted:

I still do not get how anywhere in Sweden is baffled by the existence of snow and that in order for the country to function, you must handle and deal with the snow.

Public-private-partnership fixes this! :flaccid:

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Sthml not being able to handle snow is a running joke, I know it's because it's so big and that there are logistical issues with snow in such a big city but it's still funny.

Every year I laugh whenever I read that sthlm is in chaos because of the snow.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

It’s not so much that snow cripples us, it’s when snow comes crashing down in crazy volumes in a short amount of time that the system breaks.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
But like even here in Eskilstuna we’ve had a far too many scrambly incidents of “you mean the snow can come here too?”, not to mention public transit collapsing the moment a flake is spotted.

Like how is this not embarrassing? I’ve seen cities south of the Mason-Dixon handle a goddamn cm of fluff better, how?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

teen witch posted:

To me this speaks to something that's quintessentially modern swedish. Never Be Prepared. It's a waste of money.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

To me this speaks to something that's quintessentially modern swedish. Never Be Prepared. It's a waste of money.

Men

Men

Om krisen eller kriget kommer???

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

BigglesSWE posted:

I was sent to Stockholm from Gothenburg today. There's a bit of snow

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

BigglesSWE posted:

Lol, my workplace had a planned power outage over the weekend so I had to go in this morning to boot up my remote computers, because that still has to be done in person for some reason.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

teen witch posted:

Men

Men

Den dagen, den sorgen.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
normally the "lol stockholm" comments are well deserved but this time it's been snowing more or less constantly for 48 hours, and you cannot in fact clear snow before it's fallen

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

teen witch posted:

Men

Men

The people that matter will always have enough money to just move out and gently caress the rest.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TheFluff posted:

normally the "lol stockholm" comments are well deserved but this time it's been snowing more or less constantly for 48 hours, and you cannot in fact clear snow before it's fallen
They could install fans to blow the snow away before it lands. Or put heating in the streets to melt it off.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

His Divine Shadow posted:

We just get cold, no snow. My son keeps wishing for snow. I keep chopping firewood, getting up in the morning and it's 17C indoors, Really don't wanna get out from under the covers...

I like it, my hope is that lakes get a good ice cover before there's a metre of snow to insulate it. That will also form into solid ice, but takes so much more time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I made some impromptu ice rinks last night, forgot to empy the rainwater barrels. I turned over three 200 liter barrels who had frozen over. Nothing came out. I had to use an axe to chop up the ice layer to drain them. Kids loved it. They confiscated my smithing hammer and crushed ice for half an hour.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They could install fans to blow the snow away before it lands. Or put heating in the streets to melt it off.

This is neither Farum or Iceland

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

BigglesSWE posted:

It’s not so much that snow cripples us, it’s when snow comes crashing down in crazy volumes in a short amount of time that the system breaks.

Last time it snowed like this in Stockholm was 2015. It's rare but it happens. I wish there were protocols in place to shut down non-essential societal functions until there's time to clear the streets and get the buses and trains working again but that would require political leadership and coordination.

Still, every winter when the first 2cm of snow comes people drive on summer tires and chaos ensues which is our own drat fault end deserving of ridicule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

This is neither Farum or Iceland
Heated streets have been found to be a cheaper solution than physically moving the snow in certain parts of Denmark.1

1. Strøget in Aarhus