Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Guinness posted:

Wow that is super lovely. Guess my next BMW won't be an X-drive after all.
No joke.
The X1 was looking pretty sweet as a mini-utility until I found out that the 300hp 6 cylinder can only be had in an X-drive configuration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I'd rather own an Evo and a ZHP/135 than a 3**xi anyway.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Das Volk posted:

I'd rather own an Evo and a ZHP/135 than a 3**xi anyway.

Yeah, I've driven some all wheel drive BMWs, and it's just not the same. BMWs are supposed to be rear drivers.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
325ix was the best AWD car I've ever owned, it was just so loving tossable and easy to execute huge effortless snow powerslides. Subarus seemed to be a little more finicky to get sideways and hold it like that car. The iX basically just powered itself into a drift and held it.

Of course it still had the jacked up suspension, even moreso than the newer models. But I never cared, you don't buy AWD BMWs to go fast in the dry. Of all the cars I've owned, that is the only one I truly regret selling.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

Pilsner posted:

I put some much-needed 8x17" Styling 42's on my E39. :whatup: IMO, they're the best E39 wheels, perhaps along the M5 ones.

The Touring look has really grown on me, probably biased since I own one, but the "long look" with the tinted windows looks really cool. Add the sharp white light from the Xenon and it's like :whatup: gangster.

Unf. That looks fantastic. If I'd found that while looking for mine, it would have been hard to stick to my "has to be a manual".

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Crustashio posted:

325ix was the best AWD car I've ever owned, it was just so loving tossable and easy to execute huge effortless snow powerslides. Subarus seemed to be a little more finicky to get sideways and hold it like that car.

Subarus, as a line, tend to be biased towards understeer, even in the sporty models. AWD BMWs are heavily rear-biased, IIRC most can only send something like 25% power to the front axle.

Also, you can do huge effortless powerslides in most RWD cars equipped with an LSD in the snow (or even in the dry!); you don't need AWD for that - in fact, AWD makes it harder to swing the tail out and keep it out, no matter the brand of car.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Viper_3000 posted:

DISA is busted. Do I go with a $100 working part pulled from a car of unknown mileage or drop the $250 on a new one? Either way, I'll probably upgrade the internals with that GAS kit, but if I drop $250, it'll have to wait.

Also I managed to pull the throttle body today and am trying to coerce the CCV out. Any tips on getting it out besides cutting the hoses?

Since everyone likes pictures, here's where I stand at the end of today:

I know I'm late to the party here, but this is what you need:
http://germanautosolutions.com/bmw_solutions/disa_products/m54_m52tu/m54_disa_repair_kit/product_m54_disa_repair_kit.php

Permanent fix vs. installing another flawed OEM part.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Stardotstar posted:

I know I'm late to the party here, but this is what you need:
http://germanautosolutions.com/bmw_solutions/disa_products/m54_m52tu/m54_disa_repair_kit/product_m54_disa_repair_kit.php

Permanent fix vs. installing another flawed OEM part.

Vacuum pot is shot on mine so the GAS kit wouldn't help my situation. I'll upgrade the new part as soon as my wallet recovers from dropping another $250 on something I wasn't planning on replacing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

HotCanadianChick posted:

Just went to the BMW website and looked at the new 4 series and it appears to still be the case:
428i-

428xi -

First pic is a screenshot for the details of the M-sport package for a 428i, second pic is the M-sport pack on a 428i x-drive. Notice the second shot is missing the M-sport suspension/M-sport adaptive suspension, the package is purepy cosmetic if you get it on an x-drive.

To clarify, F30 Xdrive sport/m sport models don't come with the fixed sport suspension like RWD models, but CAN be ordered with the handling package that includes adaptive m suspension.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

E46 touring, the rear wiper arm was broken off when I bought it. Now I've replaced the arm I find out it doesn't wash or wipe. There's no sound of the motor or pump trying to run. Where do I start?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Cakefool posted:

E46 touring, the rear wiper arm was broken off when I bought it. Now I've replaced the arm I find out it doesn't wash or wipe. There's no sound of the motor or pump trying to run. Where do I start?

Fuses first, I think there are two in the main panel.

After that you'll need to check the harness, there's one that's larger going to the motor which should have constant power from the battery, if it doesn't then your wiring between the hatch and the main body of the car has probably come apart due to opening/closing of the hatch and father time.

Past that you can check if the motor is seized by GENTLY trying to move the wiper. If it doesn't budge you're looking at a new spindle if you're lucky or motor if you're unlucky.

Other places to look is if there's a relay somewhere in that operation, you'd want to check that, but I can't remember if there is or not. I'm not that familiar with the tourings, I just remember helping diagnose one for a friend. Most of the time it's the wiring between the hatch/car.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Dammit, my sunroof shade clip(s) broke today. Ugh. I wish I didn't need to take it apart to figure out which parts I need to fix.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Is there some stupid trick to separating the plug from the head lamp on an E30 because I'm pretty sure I'm going to break the plastic part of the plug. loving ridiculous amount of corrosion in there.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

destructo posted:

Dammit, my sunroof shade clip(s) broke today. Ugh. I wish I didn't need to take it apart to figure out which parts I need to fix.

oh crap I forgot mine went too a few weeks ago. They were last done in 2008 so it's time. Meh! $67 for 4 tiny plastic clips. Meh.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

What are the symptoms of broken sunshade clips? Mine is kind of finicky but doesn't seem "broken", but I'm not the original owner so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
You open the moonroof all the way (mostly by accident in my case since I never use the thing besides for venting) and then during closing it won't completely close and you notice the cover never returned and you hear a crackle.

Then you can reach in and slide the cover back manually and get the glass to close too.

Not a hard DIY. I think the sun fries the poo poo out of those fragile plastic clips.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hmm, I think mine is fine then. My moonroof opens and closes just fine and the shade doesn't seem to get in the way. The shade doesn't slide very smoothly by hand, though, it kind of feels like it's not even on well-defined tracks.

But I never close the sunshade, ever, so maybe my clips aren't getting baked in the sun? Honestly I'm tempted to just pull the shade out entirely and get that extra inch or two of glass exposed that the handle covers even when pulled back all the way.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
First sign is the cover doesn't want to move very well.

The tracks get full of crap too which doesn't help so I just clean them and pull out any stray plastic bit, then re-lube with some white lithium grease

it's just a couple torx 20's or something then you pop the glass up from the inside and onto a towel on your roof and then attack from the top.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

Is there some stupid trick to separating the plug from the head lamp on an E30 because I'm pretty sure I'm going to break the plastic part of the plug. loving ridiculous amount of corrosion in there.

They should come apart easily. Yours may have fused with the plastic. I had that happen on my car, it broke the bulb off in the connector. I then heated the spade up with a soldering iron and pulled it out, as it had melted itself into the connector.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I sprayed a bunch of WD40 in there, maybe it soaking for a few hours will loosen poo poo up

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

I sprayed a bunch of WD40 in there, maybe it soaking for a few hours will loosen poo poo up

Pull the headlight assembly out the front and see if you can see if the connector has melted.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It doesn't look like anything has melted, the spades are just super rusty and it looks like they've fused together.

e: A couple hours of soaking with WD40 and I got them off

rscott fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 6, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
So it looks like I have a fun 1700 mile drive from Northern California to Texas for Thanksgiving this year. Am I crazy for wanting to take my 328i there and back again?

10/06 E90 N52 ULEV, 68K miles and had full maintenance done when I bought it from dealer back in late August, if any of that makes a difference.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ibntumart posted:

So it looks like I have a fun 1700 mile drive from Northern California to Texas for Thanksgiving this year. Am I crazy for wanting to take my 328i there and back again?

10/06 E90 N52 ULEV, 68K miles and had full maintenance done when I bought it from dealer back in late August, if any of that makes a difference.

Do it! I put 3k miles on my E82 in the first week of owning it, and I've done a few 2k mile trips in my E92 this year!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Do it! I've been averaging 20k/year since I bought my first E90 in '08. It should get decent mileage on the highway, it'll be comfortable, and most likely fun.

Even with that much driving, I still enjoy getting in my car each day. :)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
These are precisely the answers I was hoping to hear! Thanks.

Alarbus posted:

Even with that much driving, I still enjoy getting in my car each day. :)

Me, too! I still look for excuses to take the long road or run an extra errand just so I can drive it a bit longer (especially if it means highway time and shifting into DS).

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

Advice needed! My coworker is wanting to sell her 2009 135i and I'm seriously thinking of buying it off her. It's only done 40,000km, decent price and been well looked after. However, while I know the 135i is rated highly I've been reading some troubling things about the N54 engine in regards to fuel pumps failures. Does anyone know whether it was a US-market only issue? (I'm in Australia.) Would it be serious enough to dissuade anyone buying a 135i?

doogle
May 24, 2003

jediguy posted:

Advice needed! My coworker is wanting to sell her 2009 135i and I'm seriously thinking of buying it off her. It's only done 40,000km, decent price and been well looked after. However, while I know the 135i is rated highly I've been reading some troubling things about the N54 engine in regards to fuel pumps failures. Does anyone know whether it was a US-market only issue? (I'm in Australia.) Would it be serious enough to dissuade anyone buying a 135i?

Get the vin and call the dealer, if Australia has the same recall as the US make sure the High Pressure Fuel Pump recall was done. The old ones were failing either due to lovely build quality or lack of fuel pressure when they first started. Most of the problems were with the 06-07 build date cars. I have a '10 135i and after having the software update which causes the low pressure pump to build pressure as soon as you unlock the car I haven't had any issues in ~40k miles. My car has also been making 430 whp for about 30k of those miles and my HPFP has never been replaced.

The only problem I've had with mine is the 3rd brake light cracking which was replaced under warranty.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

ibntumart posted:

I drove my 1992 200k mile E36 from Kentucky to Nevada and back, pulling an overloaded Uhaul on the return trip. the car performed flawlessly. BMW's do great on long trips.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
There's a 98 540i/6 Sport with 130k miles for 5k near me. Should I hold out for a newer one with less miles or is it worth my time? It looks to be well taken care of.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Just make sure your GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM is in order before embarking on your journey.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
130k on a M62 may need CCV and valve cover gaskets? Still super low mileage though. Do eeetttttt

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Driver of a 175k '97 here (bought @ 165). Valve cover gaskets WILL be gone. Just means oily engine, no big deal, doable on a Saturday. Power steering lines will be leaky. If you're very unlucky, valley pan gasket will be going - that's not really a roadside fix but a weekend and some patience sorts it. The cooling system looked perfect on mine, I drove it 500 miles (like, sign paperwork, get keys, get on interstate) home, but then 4 days later I blew the top neck off the radiator during a pull. Just plan on replacing the cooling system. Seriously. Oh also check the power steering pump bolts, mine backed out after ~10k and I got stranded. Just blue Loctite them. Ummm, what else....shimmies at 40(and 80 and 120) mean that your thrust arm bushings are out on the front - R&R seems to be a mild pain but nothing an AIer can't handle.

Beware that I think VANOS showed up in '98. I specifically grabbed a '97 because I will happily trade 20 ft-lb and 200 rpm on the torque peak for the fact that VANOS can not break on my car.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 7, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Right now i'm feeling stupidly lucky my beaten and battered 540 has been pretty much problem free.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Jonny 290 posted:

Beware that I think VANOS showed up in '98. I specifically grabbed a '97 because I will happily trade 20 ft-lb and 200 rpm on the torque peak for the fact that VANOS can not break on my car.

Just FYI - M62's don't have the VANOS issues like the M5x's.

The other things to keep in mind -
Timing chain tensioner - These are known to fail as the age gets on them. Its super easy fix and well documented.
The CCV will throw a check engine light, and its doable, just fiddly.

Also if the alternator dies, be prepared to poo poo yourself. 400 for a reman. But if know a good alternator rebuild shop, have them repair it for about 1/4 the price.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Just FYI - M62's don't have the VANOS issues like the M5x's.

The other things to keep in mind -
Timing chain tensioner - These are known to fail as the age gets on them. Its super easy fix and well documented.
The CCV will throw a check engine light, and its doable, just fiddly.

Also if the alternator dies, be prepared to poo poo yourself. 400 for a reman. But if k
now a good alternator rebuild shop, have them repair it for about 1/4 the price.
Does the price seem reasonable?
http://dallas.en.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4166714009.html

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

With out knowing how the test drive went, and assuming it went ok, I would take a bet that 5000 seams reasonable.

Though I absolutely loving hate aftermarket headlamps to get the halo lamps. To me that just screams "I am cheap" and a car that hasn't been looked after. If you are going to do it, get some real OEM head lamps.

Edit: enjoy the black interior.... it sucks so much in the summer.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 7, 2013

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hey, my wheels! I would say that is a solid bet, it's virtually just what I bought, with a few less miles and black instead of tan interior. Come be V8 bros with me. Edit: oh yeah, de-halo. Clean pre-facelift is a point of pride for me.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Powershift posted:

Right now i'm feeling stupidly lucky my beaten and battered 540 has been pretty much problem free.

Shhh be quiet or Gunter the Breakdown Fairy will pay you a visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Jonny 290 posted:

Hey, my wheels! I would say that is a solid bet, it's virtually just what I bought, with a few less miles and black instead of tan interior. Come be V8 bros with me. Edit: oh yeah, de-halo. Clean pre-facelift is a point of pride for me.

Yeah the lights are terrible. Thanks for the info guys. Also this won't be a daily driver as much as a "i don't want to drive my giant base model diesel truck today car"