Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
^^^ most of them are banned and post on off site forums where racial slurs are tossed around unironically though ^^^

on the other hand the machined quality department at my work is probably the only department worth a poo poo, and I don't say that purely because I happen to work in it. We fix planning on parts because our planning department is full of people who have no idea how a machine shop works or how to read parts lists/BOMs and GD&T drawings, and don't bother to disseminate important information (like this part rev changed 4 months ago and we're still making parts to the old rev and we already shipped parts) we fix machine programs because our engineering department is where all our actual machinists work but maybe 2 of them total have degrees in CAD/CAM related poo poo, the rest of them are self taught. Now I'm not slamming people who are self taught per se, I taught my self a lot of poo poo, but I am aware of how much I don't know about things and do my best to keep up with new poo poo but our main programmer is still using gibbscam and mechanical desktop because he doesn't know how to use anything else. There's a ton of features in mastercam(that we have loving seats for so it's not a money thing) that would make everyone's life a lot easier but don't get used because again our head of engineering is self taught. We fix deburr issues constantly because no one in deburr has ever been told how to do their jobs and 75% of them don't speak a lick of english so I can't even teach them how to do their jobs! I do quoting, I do IT...

I mean seriously when an engineer comes into my lab and tells me that the machine just cuts all outside radii 15-20 thou thick and he can't figure out why it makes me want to slam my dick in a door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

You sound like you're building the JSF. :rimshot:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

To be fair, while in general it is a good idea to keep the internet in the dark about the particulars of your personal life, AI is hands down the best and most respectable/least malicious forum I've ever read, and is definitely the best subforum on SA. People are cool here and don't really do that goony poo poo.

I mean we are the irl cool dudes forum for a reason.

Yeah, well, it's not like this is an exclusive subforum. GIP had a suicide-prevention thread with contact info in case people needed to reach out. This was a thread started in the aftermath of one of our several veteran suicides, and has honestly saved lives. Some rear end in a top hat posted it all in loving GBS.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Centrifugal clutch on a Gator...

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Godholio posted:

Yeah, well, it's not like this is an exclusive subforum. GIP had a suicide-prevention thread with contact info in case people needed to reach out. This was a thread started in the aftermath of one of our several veteran suicides, and has honestly saved lives. Some rear end in a top hat posted it all in loving GBS.

You never know who is lurking, bored, and wanting some "lulz". You really can't be too cautious.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I never post who I work for (even knowing exactly what I make and where only narrows it down to a few companies), because:

It is. Sort of.

Many of us do take it seriously, but the industry's hardly running out of people for whom the tagline could be "Aerospace: No fucks, no Buck Rogers". That's how you end up with poo poo like rscott posted about that machining.

To add to that, aviation is an incredibly small world especially compared to automaking and it's best not to talk poo poo when your next boss may have worked with all of the coworkers you're talking poo poo about presently.

Seen it happen, won't be partaking in name and shame shenanigans. For multiple reasons, it's not professional at all, and the only coworkers I had that I didn't have immense technical respect for got fired for being useless fuckups. Still not naming names :v:

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Soon to be "customer states: hit a bump, now brakes are making funny noise"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've done that.

It got stuck against the wheel, but it was definitely free of the caliper. Don't forgot those cotter pins, kids. I didn't get a funny noise, I just had the pedal sink to the floor as I exited the interstate, as one of the pistons popped out of place enough to dump all the fluid. Didn't lose the piston, at least. Downshifted and parking braked my way to a stop and got a tow. No damage, and all that ended up missing was the retaining pin that held the pads in place. And all the goddamned brake fluid. I either forgot to install or bend the cotter pin that held that pin in place...about two weeks earlier.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 23, 2014

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

nmfree posted:

re: dogchat

Fortunately, it's just an art project.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Godholio posted:

I've done that.

It got stuck against the wheel, but it was definitely free of the caliper. Don't forgot those cotter pins, kids. I didn't get a funny noise, I just had the pedal sink to the floor as I exited the interstate, as one of the pistons popped out of place enough to dump all the fluid. Didn't lose the piston, at least. Downshifted and parking braked my way to a stop and got a tow. No damage, and all that ended up missing was the retaining pin that held the pads in place. And all the goddamned brake fluid. I either forgot to install or bend the cotter pin that held that pin in place...about two weeks earlier.

Yeah, first time doing brakes I was wondering what those metal clips were on the new pads. I didn't install them because they looked like shipping protectors or something. Pulling out of the garage, the brake pedal goes straight to the floor, I pump and pump and pump, but I kept rolling. Thank God for drum brakes.....
Horrible mechanic failures?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Aurune posted:

I've seen a disturbing number of (usually worn down to the backing plate) brake pads on the road while biking around.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I was working on a BMW bike the other day, not that old, 98, which had sat outside for some time. When I took the front wheel off to change the tire (which takes with it the brake rotors while the calipers stay attached to the bike) 3 of the 4 pads just fell off their metal plates. These were OEM BMW brake pads, literally fell apart just because of some rust.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

nmfree posted:

re: dogchat

Want this to use with of those child harnesses.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

No. 6 posted:

Want this to use with of those child harnesses.

Go forth, and post results!

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
It's almost like cars have ground clearance for this exact reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vo378mO9q8

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Go forth, and post results!

Try it in Cleveland for a special two for one offer!

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Aurune posted:

Also, don't forget to torque the bolts on your calipers properly. Had something similar happen on a motorcycle, except it was the whole caliper that jostled loose. I'm glad it didn't shoot at the other way and get stuck in the wheel, or else I might not be posting.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

WRL posted this on their Facebook page.

:stare:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Funzo posted:

Holy poo poo, how do you gently caress up that badly? There needs to be a :psystonk:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xergm posted:

Also, don't forget to torque the bolts on your calipers properly. Had something similar happen on a motorcycle, except it was the whole caliper that jostled loose. I'm glad it didn't shoot at the other way and get stuck in the wheel, or else I might not be posting.

When I searched for brake caliper safety wiring, every single image I found is done improperly. :v: :spergin:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Funzo posted:

It's like a cargo cult cage.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

I've seen a disturbing number of (usually worn down to the backing plate) brake pads on the road while biking around.

I also see these all the time.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Funzo posted:

Why in god's name would any thinking person go "Yep, that'll do!"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If he can't wiggle the bars with his hands, it'll totally hold together in a roll, right? It's only a couple thousand pounds of force, it'll be fine.

Who wants to bet that the "fix" when someone points out the mistake will be to booger weld the clamps?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wait thats the final stage?.. not just for a quick mock-up to make sure they had all the pipe?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Wait thats the final stage?.. not just for a quick mock-up to make sure they had all the pipe?

The main hoop of a roll cage must be one solid piece of bent tubing, not three chunks of galvanized steel fence post.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Also notice the stock fuel tank, with exposed wiring, just sort of laying there.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Safety Dance posted:

The main hoop of a roll cage must be one solid piece of bent tubing, not three chunks of galvanized steel fence post wiring conduit.

Unless they've recently started printing manufacturing information on the side of steel fence posts that looks like conduit to me...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Geoj posted:

Unless they've recently started printing manufacturing information on the side of steel fence posts that looks like conduit to me...

You're probably right. Not that conduit is any better than fence posts.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'm sure its worse, at least fence post is technically designed to have some structural rigidity in order to hold up a chain-link fence...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm obliviously hoping it's a visual joke and I'll keep thinking that.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
It isn't exciting enough to post pictures but the idler pulley spring on my second hand snowblower broke (as well as a half dozen or so bolts). The real failure is craftsman having 428 different model numbers of snowblowers and not having a stamp or sticker anywhere on the machine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Funzo posted:

Also notice the stock fuel tank, with exposed wiring, just sort of laying there.

I saw the fuel tank first and figured that was the problem.

Then I looked up. :stonk:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

IOwnCalculus posted:

I saw the fuel tank first and figured that was the problem.

Then I looked up. :stonk:

If his aim is to make sure the pipes survive a crash, good luck mate, they'll be spearing off everywhere. You on the other hand are going to be on fire. All the fire.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

So this just happened to a friend of mine's Ural. Crank broke, the flywheel went out of true and ran itself against the bearing plate bolts, and bound the clutch pack against the outer face of the transmission case, which then ate the transmission input shaft.

His comment: Well that input shaft by itself could probably get you home.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Bilstein shock failure on the rear of my Landcruiser. They're special princess shocks that have massive rubber bushings that you dont crank down to the end of the threads (like most other shocks) but instead are just cranked down until they bind up the washers and rubbers.

Well apparently thats not enough on bad corrugations, cos mine have worn away the little locating washer lip, then proceeded to destroy themselves by rubbing the mount shaft against the chassis mount, chewing that up too. One failed completely and broke off which gave it away as a massive bang when the suspension dropped.

Given me the absolute shits cos the shocks are still perfectly good, but the adapters are hosed on them (threaded shock shaft and an adapter to suit application) but cos I'll need to order the adapter from SYDNEY and it will take the best part of a week to get here im going to be forced to buy two brand new shocks just to be able to get to work and back this week!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Can you ditch the washer/busing setup for a plate with a spherical bearing? Seems like something that would just happen again unless those adapters were re-used and are a lot older than the shocks.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Go from through-hole to cross pin. that'll cure your problem.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Drive without shocks. That'll cure all the problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

thelightguy posted:

So this just happened to a friend of mine's Ural. Crank broke, the flywheel went out of true and ran itself against the bearing plate bolts, and bound the clutch pack against the outer face of the transmission case, which then ate the transmission input shaft.
So Ural cranks are made of pot metal I assume?