Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Is it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

General Dog posted:

Is it though

i mean a sports journo organization possibly lying about why the eic stepped down because of how they handled a sexual assault/harassment case would be pretty interesting in this, the sports journalism thread

but that article is a big ole nothingburger without some specifics

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Drew Magary went back and did this past holiday season's Williams-Sonoma catalog haters guide, for those that missed it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yesssssss

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1106907029409619969

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I just finished reading that and lmao at a school preventing a reporter from interviewing players because he doesn't always put the school in the best light.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I hope we get a mocking "Bradley Brand" chant when they get shellacked out of the tourney.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I wonder how far up your own rear end you have to be to think that being seen as a thin skinned bunch of babies is somehow less harmful to the brand than whatever this local writer was writing.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

and the outrage worked

https://twitter.com/BradleyBraves/status/1106994913365897220

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

What is up with that last sentence. Listen guys we’re just under a lot of pressure right now

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

morestuff posted:

What is up with that last sentence. Listen guys we’re just under a lot of pressure right now

I read it like “God guys, we really wanna focus on our student athletes. Please quit focusing on a scandal we created.”

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It's weird because Bradley basketball usually sucks. They should be happy to even have a beat reporter covering the team.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Niwrad posted:

It's weird because Bradley basketball usually sucks. They should be happy to even have a beat reporter covering the team.

What could he possibly have been writing to piss them off?

Like, was there a particular story line or were they just pissed that he didn't say they were awesome enough?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

does it play in peoria

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Like, was there a particular story line or were they just pissed that he didn't say they were awesome enough?
You're forgetting something important: Men's college basketball coaches tend to be micromanaging, paranoid shitheads. The same goes for football coaches.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Grittybeard posted:

from the article, it sounds like he wasn’t kissing bradley’s rear end when they were mediocre to bad and now that he wants to interview them now that they’re mediocre to good they don’t want to play ball

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
The idea of anyone outside Peoria giving a single gently caress about Bradley

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

mactheknife posted:

The idea of anyone outside Peoria having ever even heard of Bradley

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

You're forgetting something important: Men's college basketball coaches tend to be micromanaging, paranoid shitheads. The same goes for football coaches.

It's exactly this, yeah.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

morestuff posted:

Mahoning posted:

I read it like “God guys, we really wanna focus on our student athletes. Please quit focusing on a scandal we created.”

They basically end the tweet with "Now let's everyone please stay on brand."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This is a great alpha move. A winning season is exactly when you settle old scores; I love this guy's style.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Peoria's got a long and storied history of overreaching on this kind of poo poo

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/09/man-arrested-for-parodying-mayor-on-twitter-gets-125k-in-civil-lawsuit/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

some goob at deadspin word vomited a finger-wag at SI for a puff piece on a giant $30 hot dog you can get at d-backs games this year

https://twitter.com/actioncookbook/status/1108739295798591488

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Don't Gawker sites make a big chunk of their income off affiliate-link advertorial

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like Deadspin a lot but their need to beef with every other sports outlet at the same time often makes it seem like their goal is to take down competitors rather than make a point about the state of sports journalism.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Henchman of Santa posted:

I like Deadspin a lot but their need to beef with every other sports outlet at the same time often makes it seem like their goal is to take down competitors rather than make a point about the state of sports journalism.

Any time they decide to go after any non-Barstool outlet they come off so loving terribly.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Deadspin: This dumb-but-vaguely-interesting puff piece is a sign of SI's decline

Also Deadspin: Here's 10,000 words of Drew Magary talking about dog barf or whatever

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Any time they decide to go after any non-Barstool outlet they come off so loving terribly.

I think it's good to go after things like SB Nation's terrible labor practices but tut-tutting a writer who has almost exclusively done wacky puff pieces for her whole career is a waste of time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

morestuff posted:

Don't Gawker sites make a big chunk of their income off affiliate-link advertorial

They do. Get your money however you're going to get it, but it's not like people haven't known for years now that SI is a shell of its former self.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

morestuff posted:

Deadspin: This dumb-but-vaguely-interesting puff piece is a sign of SI's decline

Also Deadspin: Here's 10,000 words of Drew Magary talking about dog barf or whatever

I'll read 10,000 words from Magary about dog barf long before I'll read yet another 4000 words bitching about Vox Media's labor practices.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

morestuff posted:

I appreciated the time that Gawker posted an anti-capitalist screed and the next article was the Kinja deals of the day.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

I appreciated the time that Gawker posted an anti-capitalist screed and the next article was the Kinja deals of the day.

Splinter (which I Iike) is always good for an Amazon is Evil article with their Kinja Deals/Amazon affiliate link right below it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
To be fair it's not like they have any editorial control over Kinja deals stuff and they're pretty openly contemptuous of the higher ups.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

They do a pretty good job of making it clear that those are sponsored content most of the time but yeah it looks silly when one of these pieces is right next to like seven Amazon ads. Deadspin editorial doesn't really have any control over the kinja deals stuff or the ads though. No one there is exactly shy about saying that Univision sucks.

I think most of their media criticism is pretty legitimate but trying to turn a goofy piece about a hot dog into a huge conflict of interest or attempt to promote the Diamondbacks is a real stretch. They hired Wilder specifically because she's good at doing these sorts of silly stories, I don't think writing about the hot dog somehow means they're in the pocket of the team or can't be critical of them in the future.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 22, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Magary's little thing about the media carrying Nike's water for them when Zion came back was pretty on-point.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

To be fair it's not like they have any editorial control over Kinja deals stuff and they're pretty openly contemptuous of the higher ups.

More than fair but it's still funny

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

They do a pretty good job of making it clear that those are sponsored content most of the time but yeah it looks silly when one of these pieces is right next to like seven Amazon ads. Deadspin editorial doesn't really have any control over the kinja deals stuff or the ads though. No one there is exactly shy about saying that Univision sucks.

Yeah, it's handled relatively well and they'd probably be dead without it. It's just funny to accuse another writer of ruining a hallowed brand with something you think resembles sponsored content when your outlet relies heavily on actual sponsored content

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Did people not read the article? It’s not just that Sports Illustrated ran an article about crazy hotdogs with the Diamondbacks.

A hot dog itself is named after/branded with Sports Illustrated. That’s extremely loving weird.

Like imagine if The NY Times food section ran an article about a hot new burger restaurant and halfway through was like “the next dish they made for us, The New York Times Burger - noice! - features...”

Like yeah it’s not a review of the restaurant but it sure is going to cast a shadow over any future criticism of the establishment.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm definitely deeply concerned about Sports Illustrated remaining neutral with regards to the Arizona Diamonbacks stadium food options given this terrible conflict of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
So it’s totally cool for a supposedly objective publication to co-brand and essentially publish unlabeled branded content with someone they’re supposed to be covering. Got it!