Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

Heath posted:

Noodler's is cheap and the sheer variety of colors and properties means that there's a lot to explore and get nerdy over. Bad Belted Kingfisher is my go-to utility ink because it's well behaved, reliable, professional and resistant to smearing. But I've also gotten plenty of duds from him (American Aristocracy is the worst ink I've ever used, hands-down, and Goulet's marketing spin on it shipping out and randomly being wildly different colors as though it were some kind of lottery ink was total horseshit.)

Some Noodler's inks are amazing, some are baffling, and some are garbage. That's part of the charm, as weird as it is. This is a weird hobby.

As for his politics, I could really give a poo poo about his weird libertarianism or his opinions on the Fed. He's a crank making fountain pen ink in his garage, not like, Nestlé or whatever. He's not affecting actual change anywhere except Gary Johnson's 2016 campaign fund or whatever the gently caress. He makes a product I use and he should be paid for his work.

I do regret not having picked up a bottle of Berning Red when it was around, that poo poo ruled

Weird, my experience with my American Aristocracy sample was great. It stayed in my Pilot Metropolitan and worked well on pretty much everything, fast dryer, but it would bleed on a lot of paper just because of the properties. My color was a dark plum, so I enjoyed that shade. What went wrong with yours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The bleeding and feathering was absolutely insane on anything but the highest quality paper and the thinnest possible nib. Just absolutely ruined any other paper I used it on.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

thank you all for the history lesson! i think i get their place in the ecosystem now. still probably not gonna touch Noodler's or Kaweco tho, the latter for being litigious shitheads unafraid to hold the craft back.

ooooh I got Opinions now! good thing i'm picky, will keep me from throwing money at an infinite pit. well, some infinities are smaller than others.... on that note, i threw away my Master's Touch "calligraphy paper" because the feathering is crazy now that I look at it closely. i thought i knew better than to trust retail craft stores but oh well. doesn't dampen my budding interest in calligraphy any

A++ hobby

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

catgirlgenius posted:

thank you all for the history lesson! i think i get their place in the ecosystem now. still probably not gonna touch Noodler's or Kaweco tho, the latter for being litigious shitheads unafraid to hold the craft back.

ooooh I got Opinions now! good thing i'm picky, will keep me from throwing money at an infinite pit. well, some infinities are smaller than others.... on that note, i threw away my Master's Touch "calligraphy paper" because the feathering is crazy now that I look at it closely. i thought i knew better than to trust retail craft stores but oh well. doesn't dampen my budding interest in calligraphy any

A++ hobby

re paper:
get Clairfontaine Triomphe or Rodia eh, I dont remember, but both are very good fountain pen paper. People tend to go all crazy about tomoe river but I find it too thin and translucent to my taste.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

Keetron posted:

re paper:
get Clairfontaine Triomphe or Rodia eh, I dont remember, but both are very good fountain pen paper. People tend to go all crazy about tomoe river but I find it too thin and translucent to my taste.

tomoe river makes the sheeny and shady inks look extra sheeny and extra shady, I think that's why

otoh you can still get pretty good results with basic-rear end glossy printer paper, like for inkjet photo printing.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Keetron posted:

Today I purchased my first gold nibbed pen: a Sailor Pro Gear Slim Shikiori Vega Fountain Pen. It is smaller than most of my other pens and I'll go back to that shop when I am ready to drop 400 for a 1911.

Almost three weeks later I finally have time to write with it extensively and drat this is scratchy, I hope this gets better. It starts well and writes without problems, it is just not very smooth. Am I being impatient?

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

Keetron posted:

Almost three weeks later I finally have time to write with it extensively and drat this is scratchy, I hope this gets better. It starts well and writes without problems, it is just not very smooth. Am I being impatient?

do you notice it being more scratchy in certain directions and less in others? what happens when you hold your hand at a higher or lower angle rel. to the page?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Speaking of paper, can anybody recommend notebooks for using fountain pens in that have low bleed and low transparency for someone who's more concerned with permance than sheen? I've been using Leuchtterm1917's 120g notebooks to do my journaling with Platinum Carbon Black, since I wanted something that would last (I got tired of having my entire external memory be dependent on Discord keeping their server history saved), and nearly every other kind of notebook or pad has serious bleed-through and transparency.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Keetron posted:

Is it scratchy or is it feedback-y? Sailor's 1911 Standard and Pro Gear Slim pens have more feedback than other nibs and can sometimes be described as having the same writing feel as a pencil.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 29, 2022

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

A fun notebook:

https://twitter.com/PeterBussjaeger/status/1508781105100513289

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

What was it? I think the post was deleted.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A book with "Liechtenstein Maritime Law" and an anchor stamped on the cover, and a note inside saying Liechtenstein has no such law.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:hmmyes:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

sb hermit posted:

What was it? I think the post was deleted.

and then the rest of the book is just empty, lined pages.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

gschmidl posted:

Thanks! Now I want one. It's like a fancy concealment device, except instead of a gun or gold coins, I can use it for journaling. Or something spicier.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm sort of curious, are vendors like Esybuy on Etsy legit? I don't know a lot about most of the brands they feature but their stuff looks nice. Are knock-offs of Jinhao or Moonman common?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I have to imagine it's just a Chinese seller's overseas store. I'm fairly sure I've seen knockoffs of moonman, though it could have just been Moonman selling pens to be rebranded by another seller, but i can't imagine it's worth doing it on any kind of scale. Not when you can make fake watermans or whatever for 10x the money

edit: also the reviews are really solid and they have stuff thats sold out. if i was scamming people id have stuff listed in stock all the time.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mad Hamish posted:

I'm sort of curious, are vendors like Esybuy on Etsy legit? I don't know a lot about most of the brands they feature but their stuff looks nice. Are knock-offs of Jinhao or Moonman common?

Esybuy is legit.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Yep, I've bought from Esybuy before, they're legit (shipping's a little on the slow side, though).

Karl Hungus
Sep 28, 2001
Mine dispatcher says there's something wrong mitt deine kable.
Nap Ghost

gschmidl posted:

So where can we get one?

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
Took a fountain pen with me on a small business trip for note taking. I did not realise before how much like blood sample this looks like.. l

As I had not flown since corona started, I had not realized what are the risks of pressure changes with these pens..

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Ancient copper?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

i had a pen with a red ink in it that i took to work once and i had to clean it for some reason or another and accidentally freaked a coworker the gently caress out when they saw me with a paper towel covered in what looked like tons of blood

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Letmebefrank posted:

Took a fountain pen with me on a small business trip for note taking. I did not realise before how much like blood sample this looks like.. l

As I had not flown since corona started, I had not realized what are the risks of pressure changes with these pens..

Welcome to the club! I once had a pen filled with red ink that ended up leaking in the chest pocket of my shirt on a plane. Had to explain to the other passengers around me that no, my nipple was not bleeding. I've heard a way to avoid the pressure differential when flying is to put your pen inside an airtight container but I haven't tried it myself.

Got a combination anniversary/birthday present from my wife the other day which really surprised me. It's a 1959-vintage Sheaffer PFM 1 in green:

It has a palladium-silver nib which is something I've never written with before, but it's really smooth. Very stiff but slides like glass across the page. Plus the nib is gorgeous :eyepop:

(the tines are not messed up, it's just the lighting)

It's great having a partner who knows you so well :3:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Keetron posted:

Ancient copper?

Urine sample

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE posted:

do you notice it being more scratchy in certain directions and less in others? what happens when you hold your hand at a higher or lower angle rel. to the page?

It is worst when I move up, it writes at all angles but in some angles the "kggggg" is worse than in others.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The pens with an airtight seal like the Opus 88 supposedly will stand up to changes in air pressure. Maybe the Vac-700R too though actually having one it feels like it's not rigid enough but I'm not a scientist or anything.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Chip McFuck posted:

It has a palladium-silver nib which is something I've never written with before, but it's really smooth. Very stiff but slides like glass across the page. Plus the nib is gorgeous :eyepop:

(the tines are not messed up, it's just the lighting)
Unfffffff.

Have been good with not buying any vintage pens since my company transitioned to a virtual model and I no longer get to go to meetings with neat pens, but that's testing my will.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I like decorating my notebooks with stickers. I think I made good choices with this one.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Hey, I've got an A6 of that notebook. It's great.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

So on the weekend my lovely GF who has found that she'd also like to get into fountain pens decided we would go to Wonder Pens in Toronto as a part of a larger shopping trip. I've ordered from them before and found their service to be fast and efficient and very well-packaged and the store was lovely as well. The lady at the counter made some suggestions to my GF in terms of what she'd like in a starter pen, and she came away happy with a Lamy Safari in Terra Red. We also got some inks! We both really like the colour selection from Ferris Wheel Press, I've found their inks to perform nicely and it's nice to support a local manufacturer. She got herself a bottle of Bathurst St Blue and Roaring Black, and I got myself two bottles of Iroshizuku in Ama-iro and Ina-ho. The Ina-ho I was mostly interested in because it's been discontinued, so I figured if I wanted to try it and didn't like it I could sell it later probably. It's a very unique colour!

So here's our whole collection, which lives in the little cubbies of our antique secretary desk:

Back row: Iroshizuku Ama-iro and Ina-ho.
Middle: FWP Moss Park Green, Mirror Mirror of Moraine, Sunlit Jade (glorious colour), Bathurst St. Blue, Roaring Black, Book keeper's Brass, and Stroke of Midnight.
Front: FWP charger set - this is three small sample bottles of their Twilight Garden collection, which is Dusk in Bloom, Edwards Gardens (superb), and Sparkling Champagne. There's also a bottle of Parker Quink in black and some ink from Dryden Designs in orange which I got to make up free shipping on an Amazon order. I'm not super wild about the orange. And a tiny sampler of Iroshizuku Ajisai which is very lovely but also very similar, I think, to plain old Lamy Blue.

I've got two Safaris in white and turquoise and also this nifty little hooded nib pen I got from Chapters which tends to write a little wet but just looks so good.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Coincidentally on the subject of Wonder Pens, I just worked one of the worst and most intense double shifts of my career on Sunday, and wanted to bury the pen with something nice.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Holy poo poo Censor Red is amazingly out of touch. Never change, Nathan, you delightful crank

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Heath posted:

Holy poo poo Censor Red is amazingly out of touch. Never change, Nathan, you delightful crank

:ughh:

I'd probably have to stain that part of the label to make it unreadable so that people don't get the impression that I'm some sort of chud.

I would have said that it's extra out-of-touch because mask mandates have ended but... guess what... Philly is bringin' it back because covid cases are skyrocketing

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/11/health/mask-mandate-philadelphia-covid-19/index.html

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mad Hamish posted:

So on the weekend my lovely GF who has found that she'd also like to get into fountain pens decided we would go to Wonder Pens in Toronto as a part of a larger shopping trip. I've ordered from them before and found their service to be fast and efficient and very well-packaged and the store was lovely as well. The lady at the counter made some suggestions to my GF in terms of what she'd like in a starter pen, and she came away happy with a Lamy Safari in Terra Red. We also got some inks! We both really like the colour selection from Ferris Wheel Press, I've found their inks to perform nicely and it's nice to support a local manufacturer. She got herself a bottle of Bathurst St Blue and Roaring Black, and I got myself two bottles of Iroshizuku in Ama-iro and Ina-ho. The Ina-ho I was mostly interested in because it's been discontinued, so I figured if I wanted to try it and didn't like it I could sell it later probably. It's a very unique colour!

Let us know how the Lamy Safari writes, please. We need more entries in our survey!

What is the nib size?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

She got it in a fine nib and filled it with Roaring Patina Black. She seems to like it!

I tried out the Ina-ho and it's quite lovely!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mad Hamish posted:

She got it in a fine nib and filled it with Roaring Patina Black. She seems to like it!

I tried out the Ina-ho and it's quite lovely!

Nice! Maybe the next lamy safari I get will be a fine nib.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Managed to tip over the extremely heavy glass top on my desk and...

gently caress

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

grack dropping paperweights on pens to validate getting new pens