Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Mister Sinewave posted:

Thanks for the tip on Myth, I am a sucker for a DM-less RPG boardgame experience.

Yeah me too. The only thing I'd really warn you about is how much extra stuff there is to buy available and how the box doesn't really fit everything well.

We're gonna need a bigger box

Seriously though I have spent more than an hour just trying to find a foam solution that holds the minis while also allowing space for decks and tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Went to my local game group's charity game day on Sunday.

Played Cthulu wars first it's not bad as a game though let down by bucket o'dice combat defiantly not worth the price the oversized miniatures are actually a negative in actually playing the game due to the size of some of the spaces.

Next was Bandu, I'm dyspraxic so that's that.

Then we played 4 rounds of Codenames god it is literally a perfect short game, my team only won one when I was the spy master, in the first they some how managed to pick London (the assassin) from hidden.

After that I played Terra Mystica with two experienced players (one who looked like a scouse version of Rodney Smith) got lucky with getting the witches with the outpost expansion scoring tile, and by some miracle the Cultists only managed to top one cult track despite rubbing against the Yetis and offering magic constantly.

My next game was Deus and my another twist of fate the most ap guy you would ever hope not to play with ran a rush strategy and the game ended in less than an hour.

Finally we played Omega Centari its a pretty good space 4x with no dice combat, I loved the way the Empire (neutral forces) built them selves back up during the game giving a real feeling that you were rebelling against a weakened hegemon and had to grab all the power you could while it was weak followed by an end game of gaining ground against the other players. Someone needs to use it for a late Roman empire game.

I also won a old purple boxed edition of diplomacy with 5 army tokens missing :toot:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rumda posted:

in the first they some how managed to pick London (the assassin) from hidden.

"Hidden London" is a thing, http://hidden-london.com

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"Hidden London" is a thing, http://hidden-london.com

Yeah but that wasn't there reasoning it was something about the underground being hidden

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Miniature Market is having a big summer sale. There's a lot of crap but you can get Caylus for $27 (their shipping is also really cheap).

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/15550/s/rgg281/

6 left in stock.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

They also have thread favorite Earth Reborn, 2 left in stock at $40.

EDIT: and FFG's excellent Dune remake, Twilight Imperium: Rex.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

T-Bone posted:

Miniature Market is having a big summer sale. There's a lot of crap but you can get Caylus for $27 (their shipping is also really cheap).

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/15550/s/rgg281/

6 left in stock.

Might want to throw that here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522409&pagenumber=1

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was just about to check out and confirm my list of items when Caylus became out of stock. :mad:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I've heard Power Struggle and Spyrium are pretty good and underrated, but yeah not a lot of sexy stuff there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

I was just about to check out and confirm my list of items when Caylus became out of stock. :mad:

Don't worry, Spyrium is $17.50 and they have nearly 20 copies. There's also one copy of Praetor for $30 at time of typing.

Serenissima and Romolo O Remo? have moderately good reputations as well.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Mantis posted:

Man you guys remember when Pirates were the new thing? Before the world was chock-a-block with Zombies and Zombicide and Zdice and Zpocalypse and Zominion and Zrisk?

Man I played a ton of this until we realized that a game requiring small easily broken cardboard minis wasn't well suited for four preteen boys.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Azran posted:

Campaign for North Africa's Italians need more water (and more supplies) than other armies because of all the water spent on boiling pasta. :psyduck:

People always harp on the Italians and their pasta water, but they're nothing compared to CFNA's fuel evaporation rules. Gas in vehicles and storage canisters evaporates at a percentage rate every turn, varying by faction and year (because both sides developed more secure fuel storage methods as the war progressed).

Keep in mind that gas is needed not only for your combat vehicles, but also the supply trucks that convoy your supply dumps around. Supplies like the gasoline itself. So failure to accurately account for this percentage decay can strand your entire force, since your trucks don't have enough fuel to resupply your fuel. :psyduck:

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Some info on Star Trek: Frontiers from a playtester:

http://fortressat.com/news-press-releases/5408-wizkids-announces-star-trek-frontiers-board-game-a-new-spin-on-mage-knight

quote:

I did a little bit of playtesting on this, and enjoyed it.

There are some tweaks to the original design, mainly around the addition of 'away teams', but if you're at all familiar with the original you won't have any trouble here.

Movement is also simplified, which I thought was a good thing. And the click-base Cities are now Borg Cubes.

Spells were in, and were basically techs.

I didn't play a final-final, so somethings may have changed since then.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The only reason why I wouldn't get CFNA now would be the logistics (lol the meta game!) of keeping a group together for years and having the space used for that long. It would make for an amazing logistics computer game though. One where you can save and continue like the total war multiplayer campaigns.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Gutter Owl posted:

People always harp on the Italians and their pasta water, but they're nothing compared to CFNA's fuel evaporation rules. Gas in vehicles and storage canisters evaporates at a percentage rate every turn, varying by faction and year (because both sides developed more secure fuel storage methods as the war progressed).

Keep in mind that gas is needed not only for your combat vehicles, but also the supply trucks that convoy your supply dumps around. Supplies like the gasoline itself. So failure to accurately account for this percentage decay can strand your entire force, since your trucks don't have enough fuel to resupply your fuel. :psyduck:

Someone unironically needs to start a forum game of this now.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

The thing I absolutely hated about Mage Knight was how loving hard it was for my mighty wizard to walk to somewhere he could do something interesting. If they've simplified that, it might be worth checking out.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

From that same guy in the link, when asked about the setting:

quote:

Definitely Next Generation. I didn't see any TOS stuff that I recall.

I am now hoping against all evidence and reason that this game doesn't suck.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Sounds good. Stilled hyped. I originally thought units would be crew but maybe your hand of cards is your crew.

EBag
May 18, 2006

I would be totally down with a TNG themed, streamlined Mage Knight. I liked the concept of the game and the mechanics but wasn't a fan of the load of rules and massive amount of choices by the end of the game. Hope it turns out to be good!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Big McHuge posted:

but I could do 30 plus shipping for a cool cat like yourself.

I'll pass, thanks.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Malloreon posted:

They also have thread favorite Earth Reborn, 2 left in stock at $40.

EDIT: and FFG's excellent Dune remake, Twilight Imperium: Rex.

I should probably be happy that Rex sold out, saving me the decision of whether to spend $30 on a game I'll probably never get to the table.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I got in my second game ever of Rex at the weekend.

I almost love it. It's good, and I want to play more, but it feels like it needs a bit more meat on those bones. Although I have no suggestions for how you might actually do that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mojo Jojo posted:

I almost love it. It's good, and I want to play more, but it feels like it needs a bit more meat on those bones. Although I have no suggestions for how you might actually do that.

Dice combat, obviously.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
You know what I really want is a modern edition of Republic of Rome. The closest might be something like Tammany Hall. But I want to be Roman!

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Dice combat, obviously.
I like the cut of your jib. Maybe extra dice if the players avoid making eye contact, have a proud whisp of moustache and possibly give their stack of hexagonal chits an inspiring speech lasting at least one minute per unit.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

PerniciousKnid posted:

You know what I really want is a modern edition of Republic of Rome. The closest might be something like Tammany Hall. But I want to be Roman!

I have had two different versions of Republic of Rome and even though I've always wanted to play it I've never actually managed to get it to the table. The core idea behind the game is just fantastic. A semi-cooperative game where all players are Roman senators/families trying to become the most powerful but also trying to keep the Roman Empire from being demolished. The free-form senate phase where people elect leaders and make proposals (draft troops, push land bills, assign governers) sounds like it could just be an incredibly fun experience. The problem is the beautiful core of this game is completely mired down by old school 'Avalon Hill'ness with a million different random dice rolls on tables and chits to endlessly fiddle around with adding an insane amount of RNG luck and incredible amount of difficulty to what should be a really fun social card game. I mean, there is literally a 'mortality phase' where you just pull a random chit out of a container and whichever senator's number comes up randomly dies.

Every few months I re-read the rules and think about scheduling a time to play it, but then I look at the incredible amount of fiddly rules and random events and decide it isn't worth it. This is a game that has a brilliant core that could be incredibly fun if modernized. If I had the time or the talent, I'd consider coming up with some alternate rules myself. The vast majority of fiddly tables and such could easily be done away with while keeping the game intact.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I have had two different versions of Republic of Rome and even though I've always wanted to play it I've never actually managed to get it to the table. The core idea behind the game is just fantastic. A semi-cooperative game where all players are Roman senators/families trying to become the most powerful but also trying to keep the Roman Empire from being demolished. The free-form senate phase where people elect leaders and make proposals (draft troops, push land bills, assign governers) sounds like it could just be an incredibly fun experience. The problem is the beautiful core of this game is completely mired down by old school 'Avalon Hill'ness with a million different random dice rolls on tables and chits to endlessly fiddle around with adding an insane amount of RNG luck and incredible amount of difficulty to what should be a really fun social card game. I mean, there is literally a 'mortality phase' where you just pull a random chit out of a container and whichever senator's number comes up randomly dies.

Every few months I re-read the rules and think about scheduling a time to play it, but then I look at the incredible amount of fiddly rules and random events and decide it isn't worth it. This is a game that has a brilliant core that could be incredibly fun if modernized. If I had the time or the talent, I'd consider coming up with some alternate rules myself. The vast majority of fiddly tables and such could easily be done away with while keeping the game intact.

You need Sylla. It's literally the same core idea stripped down to a 90-minute drafting and balancing game.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

At some point I need to actually pull out and analyze my copy of CFNA, just to see all the crazy that goes on inside. (A few years ago I swiped a copy basically for a song.) I mean, that poo poo sounds fairly close to the business of mass ratio that shows up in spaceship propulsion.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I should have suggested Archipelago instead of Tammany as a Republic of Rome substitute, it's at least go the semi-coop thing going on (and I do enjoy it, aside from the ending).

Jedit posted:

You need Sylla. It's literally the same core idea stripped down to a 90-minute drafting and balancing game.
This sounds perfect and I've never heard of it, what's wrong with it?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Gutter Owl posted:

What, the fuel tanks just get more efficient by themselves over the years, you don't even have to put effort into research? Man, what a shallow, reductionist game. Seriously, I know streamlining is important, but you gotta have some flavour.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

This sounds perfect and I've never heard of it, what's wrong with it?

It's a Euro. :shrug:

Also the Decadence card may cause some offence, though Ystari helpfully include a slightly censored version.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The people pining for Republic of Rome should go check out Galactic Destiny. It's not the greatest, but it scratches that Senatorial politics-deals-and-backstabbing itch fairly well (Iiiiiiin spaaaaaace)

I should dig around and see if I have that map graphic and spreadsheet of the cards/senators from my original idea of running a PbF game of it. That's be... fun :kheldragar:

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 19, 2015

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

What's the word on Shadowrun: Crossfire, Nefarious, Heroes Wanted, Biblios, and Samurai?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Shadow225 posted:

What's the word on Shadowrun: Crossfire, Nefarious, Heroes Wanted, Biblios, and Samurai?

Get Space Alert instead.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

Get Space Alert instead.

Not interested in bad games.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

Sorry, your question confused me in that regard.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Lichtenstein posted:

Sorry, your question confused me in that regard.

Hey now, Nefarious is an actual good game :colbert:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Shadow225 posted:

And this is the reason why you think it's a bad game?

Shadow225 posted:

This is the reason I don't really care to pick up any Vlaada games. From the outside looking in, it sounds like everything but Mage Knight, which looks long and fiddly, and Tash Kalar, which looks awesome, is designed to screw you. I cannot convince myself it sounds appealing.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Tekopo, I wouldn't bother arguing with a person who refuses to acknowledge the weight/price ratio of Mage Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Anyway, Biblios stood out to me because when I first played it, I was tired as hell and I completely misunderstood the rules. It isn't a bad game but that was hilarious, since apparently I was playing a completely different game from the other players. If by Samurai you mean the Reiner Knizia game, I kind of liked it. It's another tile placement game but there is quite a lot of decision/strategy involved and it plays relatively fast. Dunno about the other two.