Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Episode was awesome and genuinely looking forward to the next episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Barry is totally voiced by Nobuyuki isn't he

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A friend pointed out to me that Barry Kahn is the dude from the magazine that Majin Buu transforms in to.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

A friend pointed out to me that Barry Kahn is the dude from the magazine that Majin Buu transforms in to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7jUeIn_-EI

Holy poo poo.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

"How Buu supposed to live up to body image in magazine?!" may be the legit best line the dub added

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kai better keep socially conscious Buu.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Lupus Rufus posted:

i coulda sworn the narrator said "last time on dragonball z!" for the Super dub.

He totally did while talking about the Buu stuff which is the intro. It was great

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Blockhouse posted:

"How Buu supposed to live up to body image in magazine?!" may be the legit best line the dub added

That is a powerful line.

Also I'm glad the best and most powerful hero in DBS is here again. I mean babby Pan, of course

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This episode was amazing. So many call backs, Satan, Krillin being cool. The video for the new ending is cool too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yo I'm reading through the DBZ manga at the moment and I want to rewatch the anime in Proper Canon Form too, but it doesn't look like Kai is available to watch legally online anywhere and the blu rays are expensive as gently caress. Is Kai considered good enough to be worth dropping the cash on the discs? If it's still got some of the shittier elements of the original anime I wont bother. Also nowhere seems to stream Super legally in the UK.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As TFS would say "support the official release".

But if there is no "official" release, support something else.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

Also nowhere seems to stream Super legally in the UK.

Daisuki has the rights for UK steaming.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Well I'll be damned.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

As TFS would say "support the official release".

But if there is no "official" release, support something else.
He just said that there's an official release.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
I think Toonami is also playing DBS at 8:00pm or something. I really need to figure out the not-late time.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Aurora posted:

Barry is totally voiced by Nobuyuki isn't he

Either him or the same guy as Champa. Either way, if Barry gets possessed by Watagash that's gonna be some good-rear end yelling.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god is that Axel as Barry :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJDlD8yY-Us

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jaco is really bad at his job.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Namtab posted:

He just said that there's an official release.

I posted that before Daisuki having it was said, but if something's unavailable in a region, there's no official release there, so nah.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I posted that before Daisuki having it was said, but if something's unavailable in a region, there's no official release there, so nah.

DVDs count as an official release, and he said there were discs. Therefore regardless of the online streaming status, there's an official release to support for kai.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

When I saw the idol character from this episode I thought maybe she was the same idol from the Jaco manga but she isn't. Actually that probably wouldn't make any sense because she'd be older than Bulma at this point but oh well

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the hell was that music playing at the space ramen cart?

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Yo I'm reading through the DBZ manga at the moment and I want to rewatch the anime in Proper Canon Form too, but it doesn't look like Kai is available to watch legally online anywhere and the blu rays are expensive as gently caress. Is Kai considered good enough to be worth dropping the cash on the discs? If it's still got some of the shittier elements of the original anime I wont bother. Also nowhere seems to stream Super legally in the UK.

I've been rewatching Kai recently and I think it's more along the lines of an alternative to DBZ rather than a definitive improvement. On the good side of things they really have done a great job when it comes to cutting out the more painful moments during the fights; attacks which do absolutely nothing are largely gone and bigger attacks no longer charge up for entire episodes. On the other hand, they've also cut out nearly all of the downtime between fights, jumping from one major villain to the next, so most of the less serious moments which give the series its sense of personality and help to separate it from more generic action shows are also gone. Basically, the question of if it's worth the money largely depends on if you want better fights and a much tighter sense of pacing (no fake Namek, no Garlic Jr., etc) at the expense of moments like Goku and Piccolo driving and Goku going to HFIL.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Seeric posted:

I've been rewatching Kai recently and I think it's more along the lines of an alternative to DBZ rather than a definitive improvement. On the good side of things they really have done a great job when it comes to cutting out the more painful moments during the fights; attacks which do absolutely nothing are largely gone and bigger attacks no longer charge up for entire episodes. On the other hand, they've also cut out nearly all of the downtime between fights, jumping from one major villain to the next, so most of the less serious moments which give the series its sense of personality and help to separate it from more generic action shows are also gone. Basically, the question of if it's worth the money largely depends on if you want better fights and a much tighter sense of pacing (no fake Namek, no Garlic Jr., etc) at the expense of moments like Goku and Piccolo driving and Goku going to HFIL.

Filler is filler. That all sounds good.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Plus you could always do what I did and watch the Goku and Piccolo driving episode during the spot it was at in Kai.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Also depends on of you want to watch Kai in English or Japanese. The dub of Kai is so much better than the original Z dub. For the Japanese version, I'd stick with Z and maybe just fast forward through the more tedious parts.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Aurora posted:

He totally did while talking about the Buu stuff which is the intro. It was great

No, he said "Previously on Dragon Ball Z," I'm almost certain, however my inner child only responds to "Last time on Dragon Ball Z" so there's a huge difference in my heart.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Anyone who wants to have less dragon-ball in their dragon-ball has my permission to enjoy Kai but idk why you'd ever want such a thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

reignofevil posted:

Anyone who wants to have less dragon-ball in their dragon-ball has my permission to enjoy Kai but idk why you'd ever want such a thing.

The definitive abridgments, full Sayin and Namick saga in 10 min!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo5Rhn8zuPA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESDAXKC2418

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

reignofevil posted:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

bulma_frog.jpg

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kai is a lot better than the original dbz

I can just watch the 1-2 good filler episodes separately

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Funky Valentine posted:

bulma_frog.jpg

Except Bulma as a frog is STILL in Kai.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Bulma's namek adventures are really good actually.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

projecthalaxy posted:

Bulma's namek adventures are really good actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YRkiJ21SiE

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

There's a Spanish guy who draws stuff in 80s Toriyama style. Pretty baller.

https://www.instagram.com/cerditosdeguinea/

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
I wish I could say for certain that an episode that heavily featured Gohan dodging something was just a coincidence but I literally can't tell how far deep the DBS creators are in anymore.

Also Videl is the best fight wife.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gohan beat up a tank because he thought his daughter would like it.

Gohan is the best dad.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
then he took home the costume cuz it made his wife's "heart pound"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Both fantastic pieces of story right there and definitely not nostalgia on my part no sir.

• Locked thread