Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

He doesn't have a wife b/c he's gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Groogy posted:

When an Artisan decide the ROI is not high enough on his current production he switches. When he does that whatever he had in his inventory gets magically transformed into whatever he needs to produce the new thing. This has the effect of leaking money from the vicky 2 economy and is one of the causes why it does break from time to time, like when all artisans ROI gets messed up by sphering China and millions of pounds get lost.

Why it leaks is because the ROI not being high enough means the price of the goods needed to produce have gone up, usually the artisan will then switch to something with a lot lower cost to buy in. And there, the super expensive fertilizer he just had became super cheap wool.

I was going through a lot of code I was curious about when I did the Christmas patch. There's quite a few "creative solutions". The fanatics on reddit saying vicky2 is perfect and not broken is either lying to themselves or delusional. Another example is what happens to money put into a project, the person asking me did not accept my answer of it vanishing into thin air if there were over investment in the project. Me and the code was apparently lying.

Holy poo poo that explains so much weird behavior in Vicky 2. Still love it though.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

That's why enlightened Paradox gamers graduate to playing groggier games like War in the East or Aurora, then Dwarf Fortress, and finally getting degrees in economics or sociology and building models to run on supercomputers.

All roads lead to Dwarf Fortress.

This thread is just support for those of us fighting this fact.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

VostokProgram posted:

He doesn't have a wife b/c he's gay

Never stopped me in ck2! best part is being gay and having my wife give birth to a courtier's baby and quietly pretending like it's mine

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never really managed to get into EU4. I got the game, poked around enough to realize that none of the mechanics really matched up to what I knew of either EU3 or CK2, and when I looked at the thread for what people were doing, they were talking about mechanics that apparently I still didn't have access to even after dropping more money than I was comfortable with onto DLCs. It also doesn't help that it seems like most LPs of EU4 I've seen are very light on actual mechanics and heavy on their out of game narrative.

From my experience with EU3, it's sort of trying to do the same thing as CK2 with carrying the great man theory of history, except where CK2 is all about the aristocracy and nobility creating states, Europa Universalis has states creating aristocracy and nobility to rule it. EU4 adds a bunch of more complicated things, but I'm not really sure what any of it represents for the simulation. It's anyone's guess what's going on for the populations of those states, it's all very abstract.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

They're more like really complex board games than they are realistic simulations, some concepts are pretty abstracted but that is what is going to happen when you want to make a fun grand strategy PC game. And yeah, if it seems complicated that's because it is, I think most of us are still learning new things about these games even after hundreds of hours played.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

CK2 is almost entirely about internal politics. EU4 is almost entirely about international diplomacy. Sure, there's some elements of nation management in EU4, and there's some attempts at talking to people outside your realm in CK2, but for the most part these features tend to feel a bit lacking in both cases.

You play CK2 when you want a game where you worry about the duke plotting to murder you in a bid to claim your throne, while you play EU4 for a game where you carefully dance on a web of alliances that allow you to keep those drat French off your back just long enough to consolidate power and crush them when the moment is right.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SickZip posted:

Illusion is an element of a game. Strip away all the graphics and context and turn a game into pure abstract number crunching and few would find it entertaining. Even ultra grognards who play glorified spreadsheets want their rows and columns to have meaningful names.

When you're min-maxing your lineage to CK2 to get claims or get better heirs, your actions maintain the illusion. You're engaging in a set of actions that make sense, that have actual historical resemblances. In EU4 when I'm min-maxing whether to spend monarch points on development or technology or buying a core, what the hell am I doing? This decision is complete untethered abstraction

you're deciding what to focus the man-hours of the state bureaucracy upon. monarch points are not a detached abstract value - they're an abstraction of the state's ability to do things.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Just say you like CK better, it’s not a crazy position so you don’t need to dress out up with silly bullshit

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I have no trouble roleplaying in EU4 whatsoever. It’s how I normally play it these days, and I think the abstraction makes it work better even; in CK2 the events basically define exactly how everything is happening, whereas EU4 lets you fit things to your imagination a lot more. Whenever I play CK2 for any chunk of time I end up modding a bunch of stuff so it stops explicitly contradicting what I was imagining to be going on, which is rarely a problem in EU4.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

even though i have 100-ish more hours in ck2 than eu4 i've only ever finished a game of eu4, which i think i can attribute to all the roleplaying immersion-y stuff of ck2 making it hard to get back into a run if i put it down for a week. i won't deny that that stuff isn't fun moment to moment but picking back up an eu4 save is a lot easier when you don't have to be all 'oh right which of these vassals did i hate? which of my five daughters was gonna secure alliances with which other countries? how was i roleplaying my current ruler?'

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

even though i have 100-ish more hours in ck2 than eu4 i've only ever finished a game of eu4, which i think i can attribute to all the roleplaying immersion-y stuff of ck2 making it hard to get back into a run if i put it down for a week. i won't deny that that stuff isn't fun moment to moment but picking back up an eu4 save is a lot easier when you don't have to be all 'oh right which of these vassals did i hate? which of my five daughters was gonna secure alliances with which other countries? how was i roleplaying my current ruler?'

It helps that a ck2 game is twice as long as an EU4 game if you're using all the expansions

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

It helps that a ck2 game is twice as long as an EU4 game if you're using all the expansions

i've almost never started a game before the 1066 start date because of that

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Really a game of CK2 "ends" when you get bored of it. You don't actually have to play all the way to the point that the game forces you to stop.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
When you realize that, starting in the Chucky era actually makes the game much shorter.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Really a game of CK2 "ends" when you get bored of it. You don't actually have to play all the way to the point that the game forces you to stop.

my games end when my family tree is a bunch of low-stat losers with the wrong culture who can't possibly hold together the conquests of their ancestors

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

my games end when my family tree is a bunch of low-stat losers with the wrong culture who can't possibly hold together the conquests of their ancestors

same but also irl

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

this is true but i'll never get cheevos if i keep just startging new games over and over and the cheevos in ck2 and eu4 give these sandbox-y games the closest thing to a win condition

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It was available for like six months though? I just don't understand the point of making franchise accessibility seasonal.

It's a sale's thing. Selling video games involves a lot of strategy. I mean there is a reason most sales run for a limited time.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Brother Entropy posted:

ck2 is good because it lets you pretend you have a wife and children and a worthwhile life

Absolutely this for me. I wonder whether there is a correlation between liking CK2 and liking games with significant companions, such as Bioware games.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Listening to podcasts while binging CK2 to get the full pretend socialized experience

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I like CK2 because it lets me do things besides conquering stuff like when my last character converted to Jainism and swore off violence and spent his time meditating and then he wrote a cookbook. :)

After I spent several hundred years conquering everything and building a massive empire of course

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I've also had several games where I deliberately stayed a vassal of some emperor or king and just did my thing. Once I tried to get as many people of my dynasty in power throughout Europe as the duke of Kent for example. Or when I played a duke in the Byzantine Empire, formed the kingdom of Taurica and then simply helped the emperor recover from the defeats Alp Arslan had inflicted on the realm.

In contrast to that, it's never fun to be a subject state in Stellaris for example.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Imperator DD for this week:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-20-8th-of-october-2018.1122975/

Governor policies, how they work and North Africa military traditions. Combat next week.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I guess it's better than nothing, but I'm gonna repeat the common complaint that it's just a list of contextless numbers again. And while we're still months if not years from release, all those specific numbers given are almost guaranteed to change anyways. North Africans being able to get "+15% Combat Bonus on Plains for Cavalry" as their second tribal tradition is meaningless to me, I have no idea what that actually means and also before release it will change to +10% in a balance pass and get moved to a different spot in the tree anyways.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Crazycryodude posted:

And while we're still months if not years from release

Wat?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperator:_Rome

quote:

which is expected to be released in early 2019.

We've been quite open that it's not a long time off for release.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

I guess it's better than nothing, but I'm gonna repeat the common complaint that it's just a list of contextless numbers again. And while we're still months if not years from release, all those specific numbers given are almost guaranteed to change anyways. North Africans being able to get "+15% Combat Bonus on Plains for Cavalry" as their second tribal tradition is meaningless to me, I have no idea what that actually means and also before release it will change to +10% in a balance pass and get moved to a different spot in the tree anyways.

Also given typical army sizes and compositions and terrain types in the game is 15% bonus to plains even something to remotely get worked up about? :iiam:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Groogy posted:

Wat?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperator:_Rome

We've been quite open that it's not a long time off for release.

0.3 years is technically still "years" :colbert:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Crazycryodude posted:

For the military traditions sure, but the governor policies is new and completely comprehensible even with what we know now.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the question isn't when it's releasing, but when it's finished

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Prav posted:

the question isn't when it's releasing, but when it's finished

it's spicy because it's true

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Crazycryodude posted:

0.3 years is technically still "years" :colbert:

My pizza is still 7.6104e-5 years away! :argh:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

So what though? Why do you need to know exactly how to game mechanics before even playing the game? You know that it means their cavalry is better on plains. What more do you want?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It looks like the trees are mostly minor numeric buffs here and there (I guess like how technology works in all other Paradox games), but there's a couple big innovations that'll have a bigger effect nested in there, like how the Romans had roads. If the combat system is much like CK2, Wild Charge could have a huge effect, although that would require paying attention to combat to notice differences. I wonder if you could maintain like a vassal state with different cultural advances so you could use their troops or hire them out as mercs.

"Repair at sea ability" makes it sound like there's some kind of naval attrition system or something. Could be nifty, could be really annoying.

How many provinces does a governor get control over at once? Is there a "demesne" of player control? And do kingdoms have to deal with the gubernatorial system?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

SlothfulCobra posted:

"Repair at sea ability" makes it sound like there's some kind of naval attrition system or something. Could be nifty, could be really annoying.

You not played EU4? I'm sure there's gonna be naval attrition, it's a significant system in that game.

one that the AI completely ignores though, which is extremely annoying and hopefully something they've worked out this time

also interesting comment from Johan on colonization:

quote:

There is at least 3 different ways of colonising an area. One even work on territories owned by someone else.

I was actually wondering about whether it'd be in at all; from the maps we've seen, am I just missing it or does it not look like there are any uncolonized provinces? Other than the Pontic Steppe, which I still can't work out if it's just uncolonized or if they're actually condensing the entire thing down to the coastline of the Black Sea for some reason.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 8, 2018

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
The Imperator dev diaries could definitely stand to be written a bit less like an Excel spreadsheet

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Flavius Aetass posted:

So what though? Why do you need to know exactly how to game mechanics before even playing the game? You know that it means their cavalry is better on plains. What more do you want?

I think it’s mainly that it’s a 1/2 of the dev diary to say ‘North Africa good at light horses, boats or land’.

It does seem a bit weird to mix Carthaginian and Numidian in the same tree, but the same was said about the tribal tree shown before as well.

The governor policies stuff was interesting and I look forward to wrangling with that.

I am curious if there’s a domestic equivalent to the military traditions, not sure if we’ve heard that yet. I’d expect trade to be a big Carthaginian focus.

On the positive side next week is combat, which surely must have some interesting content being as combat and characters have been toted as the things that make this different from eu4.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fellblade posted:

It does seem a bit weird to mix Carthaginian and Numidian in the same tree, but the same was said about the tribal tree shown before as well.
I think its a neat idea because it lets you pick your direction. Anyone in North Africa probably has that three-trunk'd tree and thus can pick their direction. Carthage could chose to go horse-heavy and ignore the naval stuff; an inland tribe could say that they want to civilize and be a trading power; some backwards goat herders could say fuckit we want to build a navy. Its better than "I am England, i r gud at botes"; it gives the player the choice and the game the ability to be a-historical, which Paradox knows many people are attracted to.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
The most important question for Imperator is will I be able to make love to a courtier by the river and get syphilis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Koramei posted:

I was actually wondering about whether it'd be in at all; from the maps we've seen, am I just missing it or does it not look like there are any uncolonized provinces? Other than the Pontic Steppe, which I still can't work out if it's just uncolonized or if they're actually condensing the entire thing down to the coastline of the Black Sea for some reason.

I'm assuming this means either moving pops into another province or making the pops already there more like your own culture / religion.