Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
everyone's job is to kill everyone*, once they have located and stood on the payload.

i have solved overwatch

*else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

actually d/va's job is to fly around and then blow up

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Mei does not need a buff on consoles. On PC, eh, go ahead but add a trade-off that her invincibility mode doesn't keep the overtime clock maxed. Overtime in general is bad poo poo, people being able to sit there and keep it refreshed while invincible blowing raspberries at everyone should be an ultimate move like Zenyatta.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Countblanc posted:

They absolutely are not hard counters or else Pharah wouldn't be dominating the comp scene which almost always has a 76 or Mccree (or both) on every team. They're decent checks though.

*A Pharah with a mercy glued to their rear end to prevent them from instantly dying the moment they go airborne

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Tanks synergize very well together, so two tanks working in tandem will get poo poo done. Doesn't really matter which, either.

Reinhardt advances your team forward. If there's a lot of damage classes on the enemy team, Reinhardt is good. He also has the ability to throw down when it's required. A few pointers:

1. If your damage dealers are moving consistently infront of your shield, chances are good that you're not actually being aggressive enough and your shield placement is such that they're having a hard time getting anything done where it is. Move forward with them.
2. Don't charge the first person you see. If you have to absolutely charge, then make sure the following two things are true: There's nobody squishy behind your shield, and there is a solid object between you and your charge target that is close by. Don't be the Reinhardt that charges all the way to the enemy and gets murdered.

Winston pushes the enemy team back and softens them up for a push to come in and clean up.

In the ideal Winston scenario, you jump in, drop your barrier projector, lightning gun as many people as you can (focusing on supports) then when poo poo goes down you either jump back out (always have an escape plan handy) or you activate primal rage to become super gorilla and extend your disruption even further.

That's sort of all there is to Winston, really. He can also be useful for dealing with Genjis and Tracers who are aggravating your other tanks/supports.

Roadhog punishes aggressive enemy behaviour by turning minor overextends into death spirals. That person who gets too cocky and comes to close to the push gets pulled in and murdered, etc.

Roadhog is also very good at keeping Mercy away from frontline damage dealers, as very few would risk coming into heal them while Roadhog is still alive as getting close to them would put her within range of your hook, which is instant death for her.

Roadhog is also a big meaty target for ultimates. There is nothing a Soldier/Reaper hates more than a Roadhog waddling infront of everyone and pressing E and eating their entire ultimate.

D.Va isn't actually a tank, she's a flanker with a large health pool and worse tools. There's really no serious scenario in which you'd want to use her over any other tank, so maybe if you've already got a tank then go for it, otherwise pick any other.

Zarya is a hybrid tank who works well with every other tank in the game, even D.Va (if she's going to get blown up, might aswell charge your gun at the same time)

Zarya allows your team to be much more aggressive than they otherwise would be, and if Roadhog is designed to prevent overextending, Zarya is designed to encourage it by being able to punch through defenses very easily and allowing other people to do that aswell.

Her cannon is one of the most powerful things in the game and you can easily push people all the way back when you're at 80+ charge because nobody wants to get near that, and her secondary fire will deal huge damage and knock people senseless.

Basically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaw7kcR_hMA

A few Zarya pointers: Shield people who are taking damage and aren't retreating. Also know what your team is doing and when they're doing it. Shielding people going in for ultimates is an excellent way to build up charge.

Shielding Reinhardt while his shield is up means any damage done to his shield is transferred to your gun. You also laugh at any ultimates as they're free charge for you.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Countblanc posted:

this is an insane oversimplification and either you know that and you're just doubling down or you dont play comp

Is it more of an oversimplification than saying that because both Pharah and S76 are being run in comp, S76 isn't a counter to Pharah? Obviously it's a team game so there are multiple responsibilities and dynamics going on, but like when Seagull is playing S76 for LG his #1 role is counter Pharah, and if you have a Pharah terrorizing and a S76 teammate then it's reasonable to tell him to focus her.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ddraig posted:

Shielding Reinhardt while his shield is up means any damage done to his shield is transferred to your gun.

Wait what really?? :psyduck:

I've put so much time into Zarya and didn't know that. Here's also maybe a dumb question, but does m1 go through Genji's block? I know it doesn't reflect but I can't tell if he's actually taking damage or not--then again it's hard as hell to tell when M1 is doing damage to begin with.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 2, 2016

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ddraig posted:

Shielding Reinhardt while his shield is up means any damage done to his shield is transferred to your gun. You also laugh at any ultimates as they're free charge for you.

fairly sure its only if they hit his shield center of mass that she generates charge

Xaris posted:

I've put so much time into Zarya and didn't know that. Here's also maybe a dumb question, but does m1 go through Genji's block? I know it doesn't reflect but I can't tell if he's actually taking damage or not--then again it's hard as hell to tell when M1 is doing damage to begin with.

yes and also dvas defense matrix

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Papercut posted:

Is it more of an oversimplification than saying that because both Pharah and S76 are being run in comp, S76 isn't a counter to Pharah? Obviously it's a team game so there are multiple responsibilities and dynamics going on, but like when Seagull is playing S76 for LG his #1 role is counter Pharah, and if you have a Pharah terrorizing and a S76 teammate then it's reasonable to tell him to focus her.

seagull would be the pharah

soldier is good because he's hitscan dps that takes the place of widow. being good at killing pharah is important right now but it's not the only reason they use him. he's fantastic at holding high ground for one thing, and hitscan dps is just good to have. he can plink shields and hold down long sightlines against just about anything and it's pretty drat hard to dislodge him. people would run him whether pharah existed or not

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Xaris posted:

Unless they patched it out recently, it's definitely the case. People just don't shoot Reinhardt's shield.

You can see it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FejcaA2Ai70

10 seconds in, Zarya bubbles Reinhardt. Soldier fires his helix rocket/fires at Reinhardt's shield (he doesn't actually hit Reinhardt or Zarya) and it instantly rockets Zarya up to 94 energy.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Ddraig posted:

Unless they patched it out recently, it's definitely the case. People just don't shoot Reinhardt's shield.

10 seconds in, Zarya bubbles Reinhardt. Soldier fires his helix rocket/fires at Reinhardt's shield (he doesn't actually hit Reinhardt or Zarya) and it instantly rockets Zarya up to 94 energy.

This is amazing and I have recently started picking up Zarya..may make her one of my mains. She is really strong for sure!

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
zarya's the best, play more zarya

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Zarya owns, but she is bugged at the moment and I'd rather not taint my experience of her by playing a bugged character, so I'm probably going to hold off playing her until it's either fixed or confirmed to be working as intended. It's rather minor in the greater scheme of things, but lack of clarification is bad.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
What exactly is the Zarya bug? Is it to her advantage or disadvantage?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What exactly is the Zarya bug? Is it to her advantage or disadvantage?

Advantage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZNdYw-I8Mc

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Ddraig posted:

The gently caress? This makes no sense to me. I could see if maybe her bubble extends out in front of the shield a bit it MIGHT work, but how this should work is that people that WOULD get hit by damage instead give power to Zarya. Shielded Rein is not taking damage with his shield up. Even if the bubble is poking through.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Her right click on any given person is locked into the highest energy value she was at when she hit them with it. So if she's at 80 energy and hits someone with the right click, all future hits with right click will be at 80 energy against the person, unless the energy goes higher (at which point it will lock to that value), Zarya reaches 0 energy, or either die.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

No one has confirmed if it actually snapshots in a multi-target scenario. So yeah it's bugged in a 1v1 situation, but as someone who plays a loving shitload of Zarya, it sure as poo poo doesn't feel like the snap shot works in a multi-target situation

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Essobie posted:

The gently caress? This makes no sense to me. I could see if maybe her bubble extends out in front of the shield a bit it MIGHT work, but how this should work is that people that WOULD get hit by damage instead give power to Zarya. Shielded Rein is not taking damage with his shield up. Even if the bubble is poking through.

if the zarya shield was actually popping through, it'd be taking damage. much like you'd take damage if you walked through the reinhardt shield yourself. it's not about hitting reinhardt, it's about hitting the bubble he's encased in

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Essobie posted:

Looks like it was a bug of some sort since it no longer works! Just tested it out in Temple of Anubis. Junkrat was spamming Reinhardt's shield, threw a barrier on him, it didn't work.

So looks like at least one tank synergy is hosed.

e: By the way, the bubble itself has always been a purely cosmetic effect. Here's Winston enraged, who is much larger than the bubble, and the bubble itself still protects the exposed parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X13uwg_F-oI&t=42s

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 2, 2016

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

It was the same bug that allowed mercy's to charge ult off of damage boosting people shooting his shield :v:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Is there a map exploit on Nubani? On the second map with the pit the enemy team kept dropping in the little alcove to the side of the capture point instead of coming down one of the ramps.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Holy gently caress, I've ended the worst slump ever. I did my 10 ranking games and ended up at 50 after first going 4-0 and then 1-5. But after that I lost game after game after game, dropping down to rank 42. It took a 68/10 game with 20k damage as Soldier 76 to turn this loving trend around with my first ranked win. I really hope tomorrow will be better.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I started playing competitive mode today and I have lost 3 out of the four placement matches because people have left. I really don't understand why those are considered to be losses? It's also a really unfun experience to be spawn camped because you are only one of two people on your team.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Proposition Joe posted:

I started playing competitive mode today and I have lost 3 out of the four placement matches because people have left. I really don't understand why those are considered to be losses? It's also a really unfun experience to be spawn camped because you are only one of two people on your team.

Because if they threw the matches out, then as soon as you start losing your teammates would be incentivized to be as nasty to you as possible in order to get you to leave and thus make the loss not count for them.

And, alternatively, coordinated teams would be incentivized to rotate leavers in order to negate losses while delaying any individual member getting hit by the penalty.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Fibby Boy posted:

Is there a map exploit on Nubani? On the second map with the pit the enemy team kept dropping in the little alcove to the side of the capture point instead of coming down one of the ramps.
Wait, you mean the Nepal inner sanctum map? There's a drop above the alcove that's a legit flanking route

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Mechanism Eight posted:

Wait, you mean the Nepal inner sanctum map? There's a drop above the alcove that's a legit flanking route

Where? All I've seen back there is a health pack and two closed off windows.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

It's also a great place to get the gently caress out of dodge as Lucio

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fibby Boy posted:

Where? All I've seen back there is a health pack and two closed off windows.

across from the health pack there's a drop that leads to the room next to the point

KomradeVirtunov
Sep 14, 2007
After being super iffy on playing competitive mode and worried about getting my poo poo wrecked, did placements today and went 8-2. 61.

I love the dramatic prelude music that plays.

KomradeVirtunov fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 3, 2016

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Is XP for Comp KOTH still bugged? That was one of the things that's got me hesitant to do it.

KomradeVirtunov
Sep 14, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Is XP for Comp KOTH still bugged? That was one of the things that's got me hesitant to do it.

No, fixed on Thursday/Friday iirc.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
I started playing Reinhardt in competitive and started winning. Coincidence?

Are a Rein and Mercy both basicly mandatory for competitive? (on payload maps)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Stupid question, is there any hint on the initial select screen whether it's a payload, 2-cap or KotH map that I can use while still learning the mapnames?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Bruceski posted:

Stupid question, is there any hint on the initial select screen whether it's a payload, 2-cap or KotH map that I can use while still learning the mapnames?

No. Maps only have one mode to them, but there's nowhere that tells you what mode before you actually start.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Elentor posted:

3) Which tanks are good in which situations? This might be a broad question, I'm asking it more about how to fit your comp/counter the enemy comp rather than which tanks fit in each stage.

Both Roadhog and Zarya are meh as solo tank, are good with 1 other tank, and are fantastic with each other. All other tanks have ways to block incoming damage, which isn't great for Zarya shield. Roadhog just soaks it all.

Reinhardt is the best tank for pushing payloads or capping points. He can be useful on defense if the team is set up for it.

Winston shits all over symmetra and her turrets and really anything that is a "choke hold" where he can dive over/around it and disrupt back lines while everyone pushes.

Dva is just outclassed by another tank in whatever she's being picked for. edit: that being said, she's better than no tank.

FranktheBank fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 3, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Grammaton posted:

I started playing Reinhardt in competitive and started winning. Coincidence?

Are a Rein and Mercy both basicly mandatory for competitive? (on payload maps)

I haven't played a single competitive game yet but I'm just not sure you can be competitive without a Mercy unless the other team doesn't have one. The targeted healing to keep someone who is being focused up seems too powerful. At least from the Quick Play games I've played in groups.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Internet Explorer posted:

I haven't played a single competitive game yet but I'm just not sure you can be competitive without a Mercy unless the other team doesn't have one. The targeted healing to keep someone who is being focused up seems too powerful. At least from the Quick Play games I've played in groups.

Lucio can handle it by himself if your team has lots of health and knows how to get out of the line of fire every once in a while.

EDIT: Both is best though.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
I hate not having a Mercy on defense or pushing payload. Defense without a Mercy is tolerable... if I am (or we have a good) symmetra.

Strobe posted:

EDIT: Both is best though.

I don't think I have ever lost a match when we had Mercy and Lucio and at least 1 tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Internet Explorer posted:

Depends on the map but Lucio can work very well (and better on KoTH). Ideally though I've had best luck just running both--it almost always guarantees a win (presuming rest of the team isn't tracer/hanzo/genji/reaper).

It sucks that people on Defense seem to think you can get away without a Mercy/Lucio though