Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I give everyone the Goatse sign equally, motorbike or Jeep.

Edit: WHATTA SNYPE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I learned about the "Jeep Wave" well after I started riding motorcycles and was familiar with the Real Wave and was like awwwww. It's like a baby pretending to shave next to his dad

:lol:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Xakura posted:

It's like harley riders only waving to other harleys.

Hey, that was one thing about the early spring ride yesterday...even the baggers were waving.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I feel the urge to wave to “powersport” or otherwise “recreational” vehicles, which I guess include Jeeps, Can Am’s, etc.

Not scooters though, don’t know why, but they just don’t cross that threshold. Maybe because I’ve tried a bunch of times and usually get ignored.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jazzzzz posted:

Bit odd seeing motorcyclists of all people gatekeeping acknowledging someone else driving the same kind of vehicle as you, but OK.

A motorcycle is an entirely different kind of vehicle from an automobile. It requires different training and a different license and knowing how to ride one is relatively uncommon (in places like America where the wave is a thing). It's also riskier than driving a car and, I think, takes a higher level of skill to do well. Riding a motorcycle does make you a little bit special.

Owning a Jeep is no different from owning any other car.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Suffer not the car to live

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The motorcycle wave can exist because it’s an acknowledgement between two people at the mercy of other people in bigger vehicles (which is why it’s also mandatory to wave at scooters).

The jeep wave is an acknowledgement that you both get the quadratec catalog because you ordered one thing from them 11 years ago

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The motorcycle wave can exist because it’s an acknowledgement between two people at the mercy of other people in bigger vehicles (which is why it’s also mandatory to wave at scooters).

Do you wave at cyclist and pedestrians too?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No because cyclists are as dangerous as cars and pedestrians are generally on sidewalks

That’s my snarky answer and the real answer is “sometimes”

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wave at cyclists if they look like they give a poo poo about what they're doing or they're a kid. Potbellied men in lycra nursing ten thousand dollar carbon fiber racehorses down the sidewalk don't dignify acknowledgment even when I'm on a bicycle. Pedestrians, much like cars, are basically inanimate mobile obstacles with a primitive and potentially aggressive scripted AI - avoidance is the best cure.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I wave at anyone who waves at me.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Toe Rag posted:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Nobody waves at me

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I'm always worried people will think I'm being rude if I don't wave. That, and it feels cool when people wave to you so I want to let other people feel that. Half the other motorcyclists in my area just give me blank confused looks when I wave at them though.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jazzzzz posted:

It's the peace sign without letting go of the steering wheel.

I’m actually guilty of the moto version of this. If I’m riding all day, in the morning I’ll really lean into The Wave, but by the end of the day I’ll just be rolling my left hand barely off the grip instead of giving a proper The Wave.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

it’s also mandatory to wave at scooters

IDK how much this needs to be said. You aren't special because you have some metal between your legs. Or special at all. Wave at scooters.

Heck, wave at road going snowmobiles. They look fun.

Toe Rag posted:

Also this.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I wave at everyone except can am's and cops and cars. 2 wheels or less=good. 3 wheels or more=bad

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

I wave at everyone except can am's and cops and cars. 2 wheels or less=good. 3 wheels or more=bad

This means if you see a unicycle you wave with both hands out of solidarity

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Last summer, new to me bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dammit that’s good looking

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Slavvy posted:

This means if you see a unicycle you wave with both hands out of solidarity

But of course.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Xakura posted:

awesome fzr

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
don't wave at anyone hth

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Razzled posted:

don't wave at anyone hth

I ride with one hand on the throttle and the other constantly flipping the bird to everyone else occupying the road.

But seriously I just do a two-finger left-hand wave to other cool bikes. gently caress Can-Ams, T-Rexes, Slingshots and Harley trikes.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
if you need validation in the form of being waved at, get a sidecar and ride around town with someone in it, better yet with your dog in it

Multiple real live women (with small children) have asked me about the sidecar rig (can they get a picture of their kid in it for Facebook). For whatever reason sidecar = the tea cup ride at Disney, with wheels and a license plate, not a road-going suicide machine like the bike it's strapped to

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If my goal were attention on my ride I would do what I'm already doing: leave the motorbike at home, use the bicycle with the two year old child strapped to the back instead.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E: :wtc: I'm on a roll

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Xakura posted:

Duuuuuude i saw this exact model of bike, in the same great condition at a local high school, just weeks ago.

I've never seen an FZR like that in literal years before that. And suddenly it shows up twice in my life, albeit once online.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Xakura posted:

This was peak 90's graphics, beautiful!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Xakura posted:

So good. I'd wave to you.

Actually, I like waving to scooters and people on those weird trike things. Sometimes they get visibly excited and it makes me happy.

Did some work that I've been putting off:

Removed the exhaust servo and replaced it with a little eliminator dongle thing. Servo was, I think, a little out of sync and sometimes causing the bike to go into limp mode. Apparently super common. Hopefully this fixed it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Xakura posted:

:swoon:

Bring back 90s hyper neon graphics, marketing department cowards!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

:swoon:

Bring back 90s hyper neon graphics, marketing department cowards!

Every so often one of the Big 4 still manages to get it right

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

dema posted:

So good. I'd wave to you.

Actually, I like waving to scooters and people on those weird trike things. Sometimes they get visibly excited and it makes me happy.

Did some work that I've been putting off:

Removed the exhaust servo and replaced it with a little eliminator dongle thing. Servo was, I think, a little out of sync and sometimes causing the bike to go into limp mode. Apparently super common. Hopefully this fixed it.

Just KTM things.

I’ll repeat what I said last time we had the wave chat, wave at everyone y’all, the world is full of enough horrible poo poo right now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Russian Bear posted:

wave at everyone y’all, the world is full of enough horrible poo poo right now.

This is the right answer.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Except jeep people

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Except jeep people

The Jeep people are the horrible poo poo

dema
Aug 13, 2006

As a mechanically incompetent person, it's always exciting to do work on your bike and then have it function properly.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

FBS posted:

Oh drat forgot about the R3! Could not find any, used or new, last year when I was looking around for a 300 or 400 :(

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

FBS posted:

The only currently available colour schemes for the Ninja 400 in the UK are green/black or black/green. This is bullshit.

I know the USA gets it in some decent colours, but they're still not even close to Kawasaki's older stuff

Though I suppose this kind of thing doesn't really work with the modern love of putting angles and creases everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

The '04 Ninja 500 had a silver-grey and orange colorway I pined for. Yeah you can make your bikes look all classy and dignified in a way that will not offend most of the market or threaten anyone's toxic masculinity, or you can be fun and paint the toy like a toy, gently caress the haters.