Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?i...-24009910-S2A1A

This dude's been looking great and I was already gonna buy it and then I got a deal on it. I'm gonna use it to play video games with a GTX 1060, is there anything at all you dudes might see that's wrong with it? I don't wanna have trailing effects of anything and I hear good things about free sync so is this a winner?

Freesync only works with AMD cards. G-sync is the Nvidia version. Which adds a lot of cost to the monitor.

edit: That being said I'm really tempted by that monitor too. Goddamnit. I want to use an Nvidia card with the shitshow the 480 has been so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

sout posted:

Unfortunately GTX cards don't support FreeSync, only G-Sync which tends to carry a price premium.
Also it's a TN panel, which is apparently less good than IPS but I'm not sure I've even looked at an IPS panel before so I wouldn't know.

i have an IPS display next to a TN, the difference is absolutely night and day

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I thought FreeSync was compatible with both cards, G-sync is the one that's locked to NVIDIA?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I thought FreeSync was compatible with both cards, G-sync is the one that's locked to NVIDIA?

Nvidia hardware is technically capable ("G-Sync" is implemented on Nvidia laptops using what is essentially FreeSync), they just haven't implemented it on desktops because divide and conquer etc

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SwissCM posted:

Nvidia hardware is technically capable ("G-Sync" is implemented on Nvidia laptops using what is essentially FreeSync), they just haven't implemented it on desktops because divide and conquer etc

That is so retarded, ugh. Buying monitors is like walking through a minefield only instead of losing your legs, you just kind of have a pretty great monitor instead of a great one.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

ddogflex posted:

Freesync only works with AMD cards. G-sync is the Nvidia version. Which adds a lot of cost to the monitor.

edit: That being said I'm really tempted by that monitor too. Goddamnit. I want to use an Nvidia card with the shitshow the 480 has been so far.

I said gently caress it and got the gtx 1060 with a ViewSonic XG2401 (FS, 144 Hz) recommended earlier in the thread. Will report back on whether I'm an idiot. Though I doubt it, since I don't buy PC games until Steam sales. It's like living in 2013 with hardware from the future.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ddogflex posted:

The 480 in its current state is an acceptable way to turn dollars into framerates, the aftermarket cards should be considerably better, and freesync is good enough that the 1060 would have to be massively better for the overall experience.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1060 seems like a bad buy if you want adaptive sync. 480+freesync will be considerably cheaper and only marginally worse performance.

wicka fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 22, 2016

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Has anyone here ever bought an "Open Box" monitor from Best Buy?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My new build is going to use the GTX1070, and it seems like I can consistently either hit 4K@30fps or 1440p@60fps with high AAA games.

So that means I'm torn between getting a 4K 60Hz monitor and a 1440p 144Hz monitor. I do play some twitch shooters, but they don't make up too much of my playtime, which is more towards slower RPGs and strategy games. So what's better in the long term, if I'm aiming to use this monitor for 6+ years? I know people say that the benefits of 144 Hz are super significant in everyday use, even if I'm not pushing past 60fps in games.

I am living in a 1080p 30fps medium world right now, so anything will be a huge step up, but I don't know which axis to push on to get the best bang for my buck.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Enigma posted:

I said gently caress it and got the gtx 1060 with a ViewSonic XG2401 (FS, 144 Hz) recommended earlier in the thread. Will report back on whether I'm an idiot. Though I doubt it, since I don't buy PC games until Steam sales. It's like living in 2013 with hardware from the future.

If it were me I'd return the 1060 if you can to get the 480. They're close enough in price/performance for it not to matter much and Freesync really is a game changer in these situations where you are running a midrange card and your fps dips from time to time.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

What is it like if you have a 4k monitor but game at 1080p res? Can someone explain the downsides of doing so in terms of graphical fidelity, as compared to a 1080p native res monitor?

Edit: At a not-insane monitor size. Let's call it under 30 inches.

I'm gaming at 1080p on a 27" 4k monitor and to me it looks just fine - sure small text is soft/blurry looking but that's fairly rare in games and everything else looks fine.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

dissss posted:

I'm gaming at 1080p on a 27" 4k monitor and to me it looks just fine - sure small text is soft/blurry looking but that's fairly rare in games and everything else looks fine.

Cheers, that's really helpful. I couldn't find any comparison images online and was wondering specifically about blur.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Anyone have any opinions on the Dell S2716DG?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Great if you are OK with TN monitors.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Stumpus posted:

Anyone have any opinions on the Dell S2716DG?

I was all set to buy one and then Best Buy sold out :mad:

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I'm looking at the LG 34UM67 and the Acer KN242HYL on Newegg right now. I'm thinking of getting them both and trying to find a dual monitor stand that will let me put the Acer above the LG. Any thoughts on this? I'd be sort of okay with sticking with my current monitor (Samsung S22E310) as a secondary instead of getting the Acer, but I don't think I could stand having a TN right next to an IPS, and with the sale right now, both monitors would total a mere $500.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Just scored a XR341CK for $500 because it doesn't have a stand. Here's hoping that the reports of it dropping frames with NVidia cards above 60Hz are overblown :ohdear:

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

DrDork posted:

Just scored a XR341CK for $500 because it doesn't have a stand. Here's hoping that the reports of it dropping frames with NVidia cards above 60Hz are overblown :ohdear:

Thats a great price and a monitor arm wont be too pricy either.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Thought better of my dual monitor stand plan. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced (under $100) desk mount that will give me the clearance to hold the KN242HYL above the 34UM67? Also, are there any glaring issues with either of those monitors? I'm pulling the trigger tonight, so please let me know soon if there are.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Do you still need to use vsync while freesync is active? The windmill demo works but I am still getting tearing within the variable refresh range on my monitor during games. No amount of fiddling seems to make it work. I've made sure freesync is active on my monitor and the Crimson panel and my games are in dedicated full screen mode. Also am hooked up through DisplayPort. Nitro Fury with a Samsung S24E370.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Is something like this,
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2414H-24-Inch-Monitor/dp/B00GTV05XG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

just a bad idea for gaming? The only competitive thing I play are fighters which are locked to 60 FPS anyways.
Crisp clear colors during game play are much more important to me.

Also sticking to 1080p, because I just ordered a GTX 1060.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Mortal Combat at 54.71Hz on a *sync monitor is marvelous.

So important for emulation and older games.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 24, 2016

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Is there such a thing as a 24 inch 1080p IPS monitor with *sync? One with a refresh rate that would make *sync worthwhile? 1440p IPS monitors seem common enough, but none of my searches have turned up a HD equivalent.

I've an old TN monitor next to an IPS and it looks pretty poor in comparison, but I understand TNs are a lot better these days. Is something like the ViewSonic XG2401 going to look that much worse than a 60Hz IPS (LG 24EA53)? I'll be running them side-by-side so it'll be obvious if so.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Thoughts on this Samsung 27" curved 1080p monitor? Right now I'm running a 23" ASUS IPS panel that I have been very happy with, but it lacks FreeSync. I'm also looking for a bit more real estate for MMO UIs and such. I've read that the complaints about 1080p pixellating on large screens mainly affects desktop usage and isn't so much of a problem in gaming? Curved screen looks like it would be nice/immersive for games, although I really have only seen them on TVs in passing at retail stores.

How do Samsung's "PLS" panels compare to standard IPS?

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 24, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Is there such a thing as a 24 inch 1080p IPS monitor with *sync? One with a refresh rate that would make *sync worthwhile? 1440p IPS monitors seem common enough, but none of my searches have turned up a HD equivalent.

According to the AMD website: http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/freesync

LS24E370
24MP68VQ
VE240Y

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Gray Matter posted:

Thoughts on this Samsung 27" curved 1080p monitor? Right now I'm running a 23" ASUS IPS panel that I have been very happy with, but it lacks FreeSync. I'm also looking for a bit more real estate for MMO UIs and such. I've read that the complaints about 1080p pixellating on large screens mainly affects desktop usage and isn't so much of a problem in gaming? Curved screen looks like it would be nice/immersive for games, although I really have only seen them on TVs in passing at retail stores.

PLS is just what Samsung calls their IPS variant, there's effectively no difference to the end user.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Xeom posted:

Is something like this,
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2414H-24-Inch-Monitor/dp/B00GTV05XG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

just a bad idea for gaming? The only competitive thing I play are fighters which are locked to 60 FPS anyways.
Crisp clear colors during game play are much more important to me.

Also sticking to 1080p, because I just ordered a GTX 1060.

There are advantages to 144hz even if you can't play above 60 fps. Namely, you can use low frame rate compensation which repeats the same frame if you drop below 60 fps. But to do it the native refresh rate has to be more than 2x the current refresh rate. It ends up complimenting the *-sync solution. The AOC 144hz monitor I just got has it and it really makes gameplay flow a lot better even though I can't drive 144 fps on most games.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KingEup posted:

Mortal Combat at 54.71Hz on a *sync monitor is marvelous.

So important for emulation and older games.

:aaaaa:

Dammit, I've been able to dismiss *sync for this long by just tweaking settings to keep my framerate high, but that's legitimately awesome to think about those arcade titles with weird refresh rates actually being right without having to configure special monitor modes for each of them and hope everything cooperates.

Now I'm really hoping Freesync over HDMI leads to some Freesync-capable TVs I could use with a 470 or something in an arcade cabinet build.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Gray Matter posted:

PLS is IPS, IPS is the copyrighted named lg has.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Nice list. Turns out wikipedia has an equivalent for gsync.

The 24" IPS monitors all top out at 75Hz - is it standard operating procedure to push that up by overclocking?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

wargames posted:

PLS is IPS, IPS is the copyrighted named lg has.
So turns out this monitor is not PLS, but VA (vertical alignment). Never seen one in person, but I ordered the monitor and from what I've read VA supposedly combines the good parts of both TN and IPS? I convinced myself that getting FreeSync was worth the upgrade =)

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 25, 2016

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Gray Matter posted:

So turns out this monitor is not PLS, but VA (vertical alignment). Never seen one in person, but I ordered the monitor and from what I've read VA supposedly combines the good parts of both TN and IPS? I convinced myself that getting FreeSync was worth the upgrade =)

well its better then tn! Also report back.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Gray Matter posted:

VA has no backlight bleed, and pretty drat good color accuracy. I find it superior for day to day use than IPS, because it retains the main benefit over TN (no color shifting), has superior black levels to IPS, while having more than adequate color accuracy.

I have grown completely irritated with IPS glow, which people accept and live with like they did with TN color shifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWqD1zb9tvc

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 25, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The VA issue is that the wait time for a frame is generally really long.

Some are totally acceptable though.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

xthetenth posted:

The VA issue is that the wait time for a frame is generally really long.

Some are totally acceptable though.

Jesus if that video above is any indication, VA monitors look poo poo for twitch gaming.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Worse than IPS? Are VA monitors acknowledged as being poor for twitch gaming?

I don't think there are any quite as good as the best IPS. I think a good VA vs a decent IPS is reasonably close, just see if you can get a number for input lag. Less good ones are dominated by the scaler so they're all equally out of the running for twitch.

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
I'm looking for a single monitor to replace my current setup. I have two 1920x1200 24" monitors currently and would like to downsize to one but keep the amount of usable screen space. What should I be looking at? Ultra wide? What res? I play the occasional game but it's very low on my priority list. Currently running a GeForce 770.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ray_finkle_himself posted:

I'm looking for a single monitor to replace my current setup. I have two 1920x1200 24" monitors currently and would like to downsize to one but keep the amount of usable screen space. What should I be looking at? Ultra wide? What res? I play the occasional game but it's very low on my priority list. Currently running a GeForce 770.

I don't know if you can really call a 34" 3440x1440 ultrawide "downsizing" but it would be a near superset of your current screens and all one screen. 240 pixels taller and 400 narrower, and no bezels in the middle. Also wide as hell. No idea if you actually want physically smaller or just want to be on one screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Wasabi the J posted:

VA has no backlight bleed, and pretty drat good color accuracy. I find it superior for day to day use than IPS, because it retains the main benefit over TN (no color shifting), has superior black levels to IPS, while having more than adequate color accuracy.
What they don't have is high resolution.