Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Okay, my orders are in. I'm moving to 1106 and opening up with the lasers + SRM.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Guys, think this one through a little. How often has PTN served the players a light mech on a silver platter like that? Maybe all of you shouldn't shoot at it? Investigate the area a bit.

At the same time, we can't afford to let it live long enough for its friends with missiles to move up and fire. Next turn the Hermes and Mongoose are going to be on top of us with the Urbanmechs looking to snipe over the water and pin us down.

generally I prefer fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

quote /= edit

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Hmm... that is a good point DI, justice feet are at no penalty to hit.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Soylent Pudding posted:

I have no clue how sensor ghosts work, but is the raven actually on the hex the map shows or is that a ghost?

Sensor ghosts just make it hard to hit; it's not like a cloaking device.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Agreeing with the sentiments that the Raven should be shot down as quickly as possible, if only because of whatever bonus it gives to the Listen-Kill missiles. :ohdear:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Knowing PTN, there's probably a chance of ranged shots accidentally targeting your lancemates oh so conveniently located on the other side of the Raven. I think DI's Justice Foot with extreme prejudice is the way to go when E-War trickery is afoot.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Are we supposed to send physical attack orders in the same message as firing orders?

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Are we supposed to send physical attack orders in the same message as firing orders?

I assume yes since the subject line covers the entire turn.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Raven does not have jumpjets, you can surround it and force it into the water if it moves, and it has so little armor it will at least be holed if not dead after 3 justice feet.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Absolutely.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Whoops. Really not used to doing it this way! I'm still thinking "everyone moves, then everyone shoots, then if you're standing next to something that's not dead you can melee it."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
If it helps, the maps you see posted are actually a midway-point between turns not the state of things at the end of each turn.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
Oh boy, looks like the Raven's pilot knows how to actually use his EWar gear. It's still heinously heavy and bulky compared to doing EWar the proper way - Active Probe and ECM Suite - but hey, this is 3038, nobody else but ComStar and the Clans have any of that poo poo.

Now watch every single attack and justice foot miss, except for the Awesome's small laser, that hits, then rolls a TAC that blows off the Raven's left arm (if the ECM stuff is in the left arm) or holes the ECM suite (if it's in the LT).

I love seeing Small Lasers For Great Justice.

[e]PTN, I have a question. If they manage to blow off the arm the EWar gear is in, can one of the 'mechs with hands spend a turn picking that arm up to bring it back to House Marik as battlefield salvage to be reverse engineered?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

So what's the effect of the Raven generating those Sensor Ghosts anyway? Just a penalty to GoonLance in their attempts to shoot at the Mech?

Anyway, you guys definitely should waste the Raven with all due haste to minimize the time that his buddies can drop those Listen-Kill missiles on your head. And since the Raven is almost definitely spotting for his missile equipped buddies and using its EW equipment to help with their targeting, you guys are definitely going to eat some missiles this turn. The only question is how many...

Others have said it better than I can, but move into optimal weapons range and vape the thing. Or Justice Foot it, whatever kills it fastest.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 12, 2011

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Okay now that we're actually fighting something what should I do here? My first instinct was to walk to 0905 and plug him with... something (what should I fire?) and then punch/kick (can I do either of those?) Would I be blocking Guitar Hero's LoS by going there cause it would put me directly in between the Raven and where he's going?

Also how exactly does facing work for shooting, I assume they need to be in front of me if I want to shoot?

Is my idea for what to do stupid?

Okay orders are sent I'm walking to 0905, shooting everything except for one large laser and then punching.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 12, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

ActionZero posted:

Okay now that we're actually fighting something what should I do here? My first instinct was to walk to 0905 and plug him with... something (what should I fire?) and then punch/kick (can I do either of those?) Would I be blocking Guitar Hero's LoS by going there cause it would put me directly in between the Raven and where he's going?

Also how exactly does facing work for shooting, I assume they need to be in front of me if I want to shoot?

Is my idea for what to do stupid?

None of your weapons have a minimum range, so you can fire whatever you want. If you want to not overheat, your best bet would be to fire one Large Laser, one or two medium lasers, and the SRM (in that order). No worries about Line of Sight. BattleMechs can't block other mechs.

Anything in the front arc is fair game for all your weapons. Your arm mounted weapons can also fire on their side arc. If needed you can also torso twist one direction when you fire.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Your front arc is basically the three hexes in front of your machine and continues on from there like a cone. You can have other units between you and your target because hexes are 30 meters across, which is bigger than a mech. You just can't have two mechs finish in the same hex (they can both move through one, though, they just can't BOTH stop in it). You can torso twist one hex either way, which changes your arc, and the arc for arms goes one more hex in that direction (but you don't have arm guns, so no worries there).

As far as weapons go, you should keep conscious of your heat, but you can safely push to +5 with no consequences (for now. As you take damage the risk of losing heat sinks or taking engine hits goes up). I would fire both large lasers, or one large and the rest of your weapons. You don't have any arm weapons, so you might try punching him and see if you can't rip up his arms/torso/cockpit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That Raven's going to become a ghost mech soon.

alternate post: 'You cant grab those ghost mechs.'

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

You don't have any arm weapons, so you might try punching him and see if you can't rip up his arms/torso/cockpit.

This is good advice, but with everybody pretty much alpha-striking the Raven, there's a good chance he's going to eat pavement at the end of the firing turn assuming he's still alive. Everybody who's intending to punch him, specify to PTN that you want to punch - or kick if the target falls prone before the physical combat phase.

PTN is cool like that - if you give him contingency plans for events that could happen, he'll carry them out for you.

Remember, you can only punch or kick, not both. Your 'mech is not a martial artist.

[e]PTN, alternatively, if the Raven dies without getting its EWar gear smashed and the EWar gear is mounted in the arm, could one of the 'mechs with hands spend a turn carefully severing that arm and retrieving it? Seriously, taking that back to the FWL would be a major boon.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
They can't really know where the E-war gear is, but if they win and there's enough hands left, I think they could drag the raven onto the boat and sail away with it.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

This is going to seem rather random but a friend of mine drew a picture of a mech for me and it's absolutely bitching(no seriously, you'll believe me when you see it). But I need to know, will photobucket suffice for posting the image or should I use something else? I recall hearing that the forums don't support one site but I forget which one it was.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Just use imgur, it works fine and doesn't require an account or anything.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Angry_Ed posted:

I know "ghost images" probably refers to sensor ghosts but I can't help but be reminded of the Mechwarrior 3 level that had the random and unexplained holographic Battlemech projector.

Either way, that Raven is bad news and needs to be reduced to ashes pronto.
It was explained in the briefing movie.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I'm still floored by what she did. There's just dozens of little details if you're willing to look for them.

Edit: I think I'm going to use part of this as my avatar.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 12, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Okay, yes, that is a very rad picture. I thoroughly approve. Even down to the unit picture above the Wolf crest...

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

What does "Ghost Images" even mean? Are you certain that the Raven is where you think it is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbzEvr36wVQ#t=14m40s

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I approve of any picture that says gently caress Jade Falcon! in any way.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Rorac posted:

I'm still floored by what she did. There's just dozens of little details if you're willing to look for them.

Edit: I think I'm going to use part of this as my avatar.

This image is great, and definitely belongs in the art gallery post.

On a side note, I recently did an evil thing in SSW.

100 ton mech
Movement: 4/9
Armor: 38.5 tons Hardened
Weapons/Equipment: 4 SSRM-6 launchers, 2 tons SSRM-6 ammunition, 3 ERMLs, TC, MASC, Supercharger, CASE

For those reading the thread who don't know the details about Hardened Armor...

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

landcollector posted:

This image is great, and definitely belongs in the art gallery post.

On a side note, I recently did an evil thing in SSW.

100 ton mech
Movement: 4/9
Armor: 38.5 tons Hardened
Weapons/Equipment: 4 SSRM-6 launchers, 2 tons SSRM-6 ammunition, 3 ERMLs, TC, MASC, Supercharger, CASE

For those reading the thread who don't know the details about Hardened Armor...

BY GOD I LOVE HEAVY ARMOR BUT kill it kill it kill it it must not be.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

It was explained in the briefing movie.

It's been years since I played MW3 but I don't really think that was the case, considering that in the debriefing audio the MFB is all like "Sorry guys; had no idea that thing was there."

If I'm wrong then apparently I somehow blanked on the breifing for that mission in which case, oops.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Rorac posted:

It's... It's beautiful. And sad, too. Poor Timber wolf, it got an arm torn off!

Does your friend take commissions? I wish I had money to hire her, but I'm sure some of the people here do.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

This actually was a commission. You can get something like this for roughly 35 bucks, but if you really want to go all out, she does larger, more detailed things for up to about 210.

Also, Mukaikubo, that's not actually a unit crest, but a little bit of metal fatigue/battle scarring.

I also didn't realize it at the time, but, the setup shown here is actually doable, if you want it for a game or something.

2x ERPPCs, 2x LRM20's + 2tons of ammo, two ER small lasers on the torso sides, max armor and a fuckton of heat sinks. You can make the small lasers into medium ones if you want but I prefer the extra heat sink.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 12, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That is one classy picture.

On the topic of the Raven, these are apparently TacOps Probe/ECM abilities. Learn something new everytime you open a book.

Now, the question is does "amplify targeting" just mean the canon TacOps Probe "Targeting" ability (primarily about lowering woods-LOS modifiers, but for all weapons) or is this that special L/K booster theorized earlier?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Rorac posted:

This actually was a commission. You can get something like this for roughly 35 bucks, but if you really want to go all out, she does larger, more detailed things for up to about 210.

35 bucks for that? Wow. Your friend's up there in terms of quality-for-cash.

How much would she want for a clean-line black-and-white 'mech sketch, TRO style, would you reckon?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I may have gotten a bit more detail than normal because I'm a good friend of her(also I gave her a gift so consider the value/price ratio to possibly be slightly off). Still, 35 dollars should you a 6x8 of comparable quality

TRO style? I'd have to ask her. I can't imagine it would cost more than this picture but it depends on how much detail you want of course.

Edit: I did ask her. She says it would depend on the complexity of the design; the Atlas(which would be the most complex she's seen) would be 40, a Timberwolf would be about 30, a rather simple one would be about 25.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 12, 2011

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
I just started rereading Sword and Fire, so as a note to DI, if one of your lancemates should die in combat, I expect you to scream defiantly and blast the villain into a slag heap, heat levels be damned.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Battletech! :argh:

Anyways, next turn:
The reason why the Hermes is a thousand-times better than the Hermes II

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 12, 2011

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
LRM-eleventy billion needs 3 to hit: Rolls 2.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Okay, something awesome is about to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

AJ_Impy posted:

LRM-eleventy billion needs 3 to hit: Rolls 2.

Followed by five failed pilot checks, sending everyone face-first into the tarmac.

• Locked thread