Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
My S4 is starting to do weird things after 3 years. So I was looking at new phone options, but then I remembered none of these will offer voice and data concurrently (that's a big deal for me). Sprint's supposedly looking at VoLTE which would solve this, but there is no timeline for roll-out.

So I just purchased a non-spark S4 off ebay. #mediocre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
Just for grins I put a at&t prepaid sim in my phone just to see if my problems were with my phone or Sprint. After using at&t for a little while all I can say is Sprint's network just sucks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Swiller of Beer posted:

After using at&t for a little while all I can say is Sprint's network just sucks.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Swiller of Beer posted:

Just for grins I put a at&t prepaid sim in my phone just to see if my problems were with my phone or Sprint. After using at&t for a little while all I can say is Sprint's network just sucks.

Yeah, after recently switching to Verizon I just can't believe when I look at my phone indoors and anywhere I see 4g... It is magic, I have service pretty much everywhere now.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
I have a galaxy nexus (yes very old) and I am getting a nexus5x, I know I need to do something with the sim card, do I have to take it into the store to get it switched over?

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

Aeryk posted:

I have a galaxy nexus (yes very old) and I am getting a nexus5x, I know I need to do something with the sim card, do I have to take it into the store to get it switched over?

You'll probably need a new sim card anyway so a store trip will be necessary. Or you can call and get them to send you a sim if you don't need instant gratification.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
My current plan is a 3-line EPRP family plan. I recently got a Google Fi invite. All 3 lines are off contract, if I were to port my line (I'm the account holder/primary line) off to Google Fi what would happen to the other 2 lines?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
You'd be the account holder of a 2-line EPRP plan. They'd designate one of those lines as the primary.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

goku chewbacca posted:

You'd be the account holder of a 2-line EPRP plan. They'd designate one of those lines as the primary.

^ is exactly correct

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
How big a headache am I in for if I try to pay off an Easy Pay phone early?

I'm on Everything Data Share 1500 with 2 lines. My line is the main one, with a phone on it that was purchased subsidized last summer, so it has more than a year to go on its contract. That one isn't going anywhere (for a while.)

My ex is on the other, with a phone bought on Easy Pay in October. For obvious reasons, I want to get this line off my account soon. I don't see an option online to pay off the phone balance, so I guess that has to be done through Customer Care. She doesn't have control over the account, so what info would she need to port the number elsewhere?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

utonium posted:

I'm on Everything Data Share 1500 with 2 lines. My line is the main one, with a phone on it that was purchased subsidized last summer, so it has more than a year to go on its contract. That one isn't going anywhere (for a while.)

My ex is on the other, with a phone bought on Easy Pay in October. For obvious reasons, I want to get this line off my account soon. I don't see an option online to pay off the phone balance, so I guess that has to be done through Customer Care. She doesn't have control over the account, so what info would she need to port the number elsewhere?

She'd need the account number and PIN. She already has any other necessary info...namely, your full name and the phone number.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

utonium posted:

Call customer care. Make it ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that you want to pay off the Installment Billing balance on her line.

I cannot stress enough how important it is that you make it clear you are paying off the phone balance. If they gently caress it up it goes on your bill as a credit and takes around three loving weeks to get it where it needs to be.

So when you think you've made it clear enough, say it again and have them repeat it.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Wizard of Smart posted:

Call customer care. Make it ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that you want to pay off the Installment Billing balance on her line.

I cannot stress enough how important it is that you make it clear you are paying off the phone balance. If they gently caress it up it goes on your bill as a credit and takes around three loving weeks to get it where it needs to be.

So when you think you've made it clear enough, say it again and have them repeat it.
Yeah, I came across a couple horror stories along a similar theme. They were from a while back but it's not like things are going to improve with personnel cuts, so I'll just have to brace myself.

Thanks, all. I'm stoked about lowering my bill by over $100.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
I'm going to be getting a Nexus 5X in the mail tomorrow, and from what I've read there's some kind of SIM card incompatibility and I need to visit a Sprint repair store to get a proper one. It seems like a simple enough operation, but in my case, I'm on a family plan and the account holder (my dad) lives in another state. Am I going to need any info from him to be able to do this, or can I just walk in there with my current phone and be done with it?

I feel like this should be a simple thing, but on the other hand, Sprint.

e: if it helps, my Moto X also has a nano SIM. I thought it'd be great, my first Sprint phone with a nano SIM, no more needing to go to the store to activate a new phone...

e2:

Aeryk posted:

Just did this, you need the pin or password is all

Now I need to get my dad to remember a password. poo poo.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 25, 2016

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I'm going to be getting a Nexus 5X in the mail tomorrow, and from what I've read there's some kind of SIM card incompatibility and I need to visit a Sprint repair store to get a proper one. It seems like a simple enough operation, but in my case, I'm on a family plan and the account holder (my dad) lives in another state. Am I going to need any info from him to be able to do this, or can I just walk in there with my current phone and be done with it?

I feel like this should be a simple thing, but on the other hand, Sprint.

Just did this, you need the pin or password is all

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm going on a 2 week Panama Canal trip next month. I have the $50 SERO plan on a Nexus 6P.

I can switch to Google Fi for a month (I already have the SIM) and roam in all of the countries we'll be stopping in for an extra $10.

Can I activate my Sprint plan to do the same thing, for a reasonable price? What do I call and tell them? If I call up blind, they'll rape me for way more than I need.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

photomikey posted:

I'm going on a 2 week Panama Canal trip next month. I have the $50 SERO plan on a Nexus 6P.

I can switch to Google Fi for a month (I already have the SIM) and roam in all of the countries we'll be stopping in for an extra $10.

Can I activate my Sprint plan to do the same thing, for a reasonable price? What do I call and tell them? If I call up blind, they'll rape me for way more than I need.

Why not just turn on the Free International Roaming and just continue business as usual?

You might have missed out on the free 1G of Free Fast International Roaming, but you can still get on their free I think Unlimited 2G speed roaming I think.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anyone know why my Airave suddenly would have shown up as a $140 charge on my bill? I still actively have an account with Sprint so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Going to have to give them a call when I have the chance.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

e.pilot posted:

Anyone know why my Airave suddenly would have shown up as a $140 charge on my bill? I still actively have an account with Sprint so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Going to have to give them a call when I have the chance.

Have you been using your airave? I know when we moved and forgot to bring the device with us, they contacted us and told us if we didn't use it or return it within some timeframe it would show up as a charge.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

fyallm posted:

Have you been using your airave? I know when we moved and forgot to bring the device with us, they contacted us and told us if we didn't use it or return it within some timeframe it would show up as a charge.

I haven't, but I wasn't contacted either.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

e.pilot posted:

I haven't, but I wasn't contacted either.

I think I just got lucky about them contacting me. This is probably what happened.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure the answer is still no, but is there any way to get an originally Verizon iPhone 5S onto Sprint or do they still have a whitelist? The phone isn't locked or under contract, just wondering if I can help my mom out by giving her a newer (for her) device.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Hed posted:

... is there any way to get an originally Verizon iPhone 5S onto Sprint or do they still have a whitelist? The phone isn't locked or under contract...

You're in luck. Starting with the 5s/5c generation, Sprint allows iPhones from other carriers to be activated on Sprint post-paid lines. For the 5s, only the Verizon one has the CDMA compatibility necessary for Sprint.

You'll need a Sprint SIM card. You may have luck going to a corporate (including Sprint RadioShacks) or repair store. Otherwise they'll have to mail you one.

http://www.sprint.com/landings/bring-your-own-phone/

EDIT: Forgot to mention the Verizon 5s won't be Sprint Spark compatible, meaning it won't be able to make use of all of Sprint's major network improvements. It won't connect to Sprint's high frequency, faster speed band 41 (2600 MHz) and probably won't connect to its lower frequency band 26 (800 MHz) that's used for better building penetration and coverage in less tower-dense rural areas. It will operate on Sprint primary PCS 1900 MHz LTE band. Probably no carrier aggregation, so you won't see speeds better than 3-6 mbit. You can look on a Sprint coverage map to see what I mean. I think they still offer a tickbox to show LTE vs Spark coverage.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 21, 2016

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

So after downloading the newest iOS, a carrier update popped up on my iPhone. I installed it, Sprint 24.1, and now my LTE doesn't work anymore.Still says LTE at the top of my phone and there's nothing else indicating that it doesn't work... except for it not working. Any ideas?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
##UPDATE# in the dial paid to initiate a PRL and data profile provisioning. You can also try ##CLEAR# in the dial pad. There's also Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings, but that will probably delete all your saved WiFi keys and maybe some other network related preferences (Network location preferences, Ask to Join networks, auto sign on to public networks with captive portals).

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks very much goku chewbacca, I'm going to mail it to her and walk her through it now :cheers:

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

goku chewbacca posted:

##UPDATE# in the dial paid to initiate a PRL and data profile provisioning. You can also try ##CLEAR# in the dial pad. There's also Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings, but that will probably delete all your saved WiFi keys and maybe some other network related preferences (Network location preferences, Ask to Join networks, auto sign on to public networks with captive portals).

I tried the 1st and 3rd options with Sprint customer service as well as the ##CLEAR# just now, but no dice. Is there a strong possibility that the iOS update is the culprit here? I got this carrier update notice a month ago but dismissed it at the time. Then it randomly popped up right after I updated to iOS 9.3 and thought "sure, why not? since I'm already updating the OS..." What a mistake.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I tried the 1st and 3rd options with Sprint customer service as well as the ##CLEAR# just now, but no dice. Is there a strong possibility that the iOS update is the culprit here? I got this carrier update notice a month ago but dismissed it at the time. Then it randomly popped up right after I updated to iOS 9.3 and thought "sure, why not? since I'm already updating the OS..." What a mistake.

Is it just LTE? Do you get 3G data? What's on the top bar next to "Sprint"? Does it say LTE, but data tests time out? Do you have voice and SMS working? Try Settings > Cellular > toggle Enable LTE and Cellular Data off then on.

If it's just LTE data not working, try reseating the SIM cards. Eject it, give it a dry wipe, put it back in and soft reset the phone (hold power and home together for a few seconds).

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

goku chewbacca posted:

Is it just LTE? Do you get 3G data? What's on the top bar next to "Sprint"? Does it say LTE, but data tests time out? Do you have voice and SMS working? Try Settings > Cellular > toggle Enable LTE and Cellular Data off then on.

If it's just LTE data not working, try reseating the SIM cards. Eject it, give it a dry wipe, put it back in and soft reset the phone (hold power and home together for a few seconds).

Just LTE, no 3G. The story actually just got weirder. As I drove home from work last night, I noticed it was loading emails and my LTE was working perfectly again. Same on the way to work today. Then as I get in the office today, it stops working altogether again. My LTE doesn't work in certain parts of town (I live in a hilly part of L.A. where my LTE symbol turns into 1X and stops working ) but never like this where it continues to say LTE. And I've never had problem with LTE in this part of town until installing the carrier update and new iOS yesterday.

EDIT:

Went on walk at lunch to see how far my LTE deadzone is. After approximately .6 miles, my LTE turned to 3G and worked at that speed, then after 30 seconds switched to LTE and worked at those speeds. As I walked back, it died again, still with the LTE showing up.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 23, 2016

E-Diddy
Mar 30, 2004
I'm both hot and bothered
I'm limping along the best I can with my nearly two year old HTC M8 (won't charge, it's super slow now) and can't wait to be eligible for a subsidized upgrade. I'm still on my parents' Everything Data 1500 Shared plan and my dad absolutely refuses to budge because of the unlimited data.

I tried to sweet talk a Sprint CSR before the S7 Edge launched to try and get my upgrade date moved. They said it would be $100 to move the date from early-February (when I called) to whenever the S7 Edge came out. I really want the G5 now but whenever I try to check my upgrade date, I keep getting a message saying that I am eligible but for a 24-month lease. I don't want to do that. Is there another way of checking your real date besides calling? The call took forever last time and the dude had to call me back several hours later because it was taking so long.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

E-Diddy posted:

I'm limping along the best I can with my nearly two year old HTC M8 (won't charge, it's super slow now) and can't wait to be eligible for a subsidized upgrade. I'm still on my parents' Everything Data 1500 Shared plan and my dad absolutely refuses to budge because of the unlimited data.

I tried to sweet talk a Sprint CSR before the S7 Edge launched to try and get my upgrade date moved. They said it would be $100 to move the date from early-February (when I called) to whenever the S7 Edge came out. I really want the G5 now but whenever I try to check my upgrade date, I keep getting a message saying that I am eligible but for a 24-month lease. I don't want to do that. Is there another way of checking your real date besides calling? The call took forever last time and the dude had to call me back several hours later because it was taking so long.

On the website, if you check your contract end date, that date is the same as your upgrade date now.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I ordered an iPhone SE. While it's on the way, I thought I'd do a Domestic SIM Unlock on my iPhone 6 before I sell it. It turns out that they won't let you do it if you're still under contract. Fair enough.

I was told that when I call in to activate/swap my new iPhone onto my line, I should then immediately ask for an unlock on it, since the old phone won't be attached to an on-contract line anymore. I hope that works.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Just got an email that you can add Amazon Prime to your Sprint bill for $11 a month....uhhh April Fools?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Medullah posted:

Just got an email that you can add Amazon Prime to your Sprint bill for $11 a month....uhhh April Fools?

So I can pay $32 extra to get it through sprint instead of paying for it directly? That's a clever scam.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

corgski posted:

So I can pay $32 extra to get it through sprint instead of paying for it directly? That's a clever scam.

Or you can use it for $11 to get all your christmas shopping done. For an adhoc one month of prime, it doesn't seem so bad, if you only need it for a short time.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

corgski posted:

It is the whole pay monthly instead of paying a large lump sum up front philosophy. Honestly I am surprised Amazon hasn't tried this directly yet.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Ah. I figured you were still on the hook for a year, it was just amortizing it across 12 months with a 33% markup.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Medullah posted:

I think that the incentive is that it doesn't count against your data if you are on a metered plan.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bigpolar posted:

I think that the incentive is that it doesn't count against your data if you are on a metered plan.

I guess that and "Cancel any time" is nice, if you have need for Prime here and there but don't need it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

bigpolar posted:

I just found an article that said I was wrong. Guess I misread the email.

"Dealnews" [url=http://dealnews.com/features/Some-Shoppers-Can-Now-Buy-Amazon-Prime-by-the-Month-But-Theres-A-Catch/1640459.html[/url posted:

]
Unlike T-Mobile, Sprint is not planning to exempt music or video from customers' data caps. This practice is known as zero rating, and basically it means that in T-Mobile's case, music and video don't count against customers' data. Yet Sprint has decided it's not a priority for its customers, only saying they tend to have a large or unlimited data plan.

bigpolar fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 5, 2016