Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Betrayer. During the Crusade and the Heresy, the captain of Angron's flagship is a woman who shoots a World Eaters captain in the face and is buddies with Kharn.

She's also the only female character in that book.

The Mistress of the Vox was a hardwired-to-the-hololith teenage girl (Seriously, ADB), so was one of the moderati in the warhound titan that tagged along with the Shadow Crusade. There was also a lady general on Nuceria that did little else but wet herself, but was built up to be quite a competent badass elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Buddy cop movie with Grimaldus and Andrej.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Khizan posted:

Buddy cop movie with Shira Calpurnia and [Anonymous Dredd-clone #18].

FTFY

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Complaints from a vocal minority that doesn’t understand good storytelling, and should be rightly ignored.
Fans are dumb, catering strictly to the fans rarely works well unless there’s inherent mass-market appeal in doing so (Deadpool, Dredd). Catering “to the fans” can sometimes result in a legit great movie (Blade Runner 2049) but that doesn’t guarantee box office returns. The fans make you some box office money, but the real dollars come from literally everyone else.

I’d much rather see a well made movie with interesting characters and good writing, that respects the source material enough to recognize its storytelling limitations. Starting with Space Marines would get the fans onboard, sure, but they were already onboard to begin with and were going to buy tickets no matter what the movie ended up being, and will buy tickets for the sequel even if they vehemently hated the first one because that’s what fans do. They don’t need to be catered to.

Good points. I don't know if GW will see it this way but good points.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Khizan posted:

Buddy cop movie with Grimaldus and Andrej.

I'd watch it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH just do Helsreach. People area already broadly familiar with the concept of "Ork" so it'd work easily enough.

Of course, Helsreach itself would still work best as a HBO series so... :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or as a web series by Richard Boylan, because holy hell that guy is a good cinematographer. If he found a better way to do the MoCap than using his Kinect camera, he'd be unstoppable.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't know what GW or BL are thinking in NOT paying Richard Boylan to stop what he's doing and have him officially do Helsreach. Give him all the support and resources he could ever need and watch the popularity and sales sky rocket.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Dick Trauma posted:

This is the only 40k aviation movie I want to see...

A beat for beat remake of Top Gun but with Orks. Meg Ryans character can just be Goose's best bud and the kids just grots. Kelly McGillis can be a human "advisor" who just gets confused about the asexual Orks.

Playin' Wit da Boyz!!!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Foxtrot_13 posted:

A beat for beat remake of Top Gun but with Orks. Meg Ryans character can just be Goose's best bud and the kids just grots. Kelly McGillis can be a human "advisor" who just gets confused about the asexual Orks.

Playin' Wit da Boyz!!!

Everyone would just laugh and laugh when "Gooze" goes through the canopy and dies. And there would be a bunch of shirtless Orks playing beach squig-ball. And a Speed Freek racing down the tarmac with his kustom bike.

I would totally watch this movie.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

berzerkmonkey posted:

Everyone would just laugh and laugh when "Gooze" goes through the canopy and dies. And there would be a bunch of shirtless Orks playing beach squig-ball. And a Speed Freek racing down the tarmac with his kustom bike.

I would totally watch this movie.
Post-credits stinger: Gooze's head poking through the canopy, floating on an ocean somewhere, as he just sighs and floats away hoping to krump gits again when he finds land.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Moose-Alini posted:

Is there anything anywhere in fluff or codex to support this? I been searching since day one and can’t find it. This seems to come from a quote or Facebook comment by someone who may not know at GW during the primaris reveal festivities.

I wanna be wrong, but it seems that in universe there’s no reason to think you can biglyfye tiny marines.

Hmm, fair enough. It was talked about in the 40k thread at some point, and since I haven't really faffed about with the tabletop game since a few games with my brother in 7e, I assumed it was in something I hadn't read yet. Guess I'll correct that ol' misconception.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I would also watch Top Shoota.

"Mavrigg, it ain't yer flyin', it's yer addy-tude. The enemy's a bit of a 'azard, but you're zoggin' worse! [He pauses.] Yer my kinda git, ya know dat?"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MMAgCh posted:

I would also watch Top Shoota.

"Mavrigg, it ain't yer flyin', it's yer addy-tude. The enemy's a bit of a 'azard, but you're zoggin' worse! [He pauses.] Yer my kinda git, ya know dat?"

Instead of buzzing the tower, he smashes right into it, and everyone cheers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

berzerkmonkey posted:

Instead of buzzing the tower, he smashes right into it, and everyone cheers.
Blasts out the other side in just his chair, all scorched up and holding a steering wheel. Shrugs, hands it to a grot.

"Fix dat".

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Pyrolocutus posted:

Hmm, fair enough. It was talked about in the 40k thread at some point, and since I haven't really faffed about with the tabletop game since a few games with my brother in 7e, I assumed it was in something I hadn't read yet. Guess I'll correct that ol' misconception.

At this point it looks like GW are keeping some of the details of the Primaris creation process deliberately vague. In the Blood Angels codex, for instance, it talks about how after The Devastation of Baal the scout company is incredibly oversized as they try to recover. It's completely unclear if those scouts will eventually turn into Primaris marines though, with some people desperately grabbing onto a single sentence buried deep in the book that further muddied the waters. The to this particular question clearly that it would make no sense to keep making the old marines when they suffer from a flaw that was slowly destroying the entire bloodline while, at least as far as anyone knew at the time, the Primaris didn't have any such issue.

So in answer to your original question nobody knows and there's what appears to be a deliberate lack of information that would support either argument.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Pendent posted:

At this point it looks like GW are keeping some of the details of the Primaris creation process deliberately vague. In the Blood Angels codex, for instance, it talks about how after The Devastation of Baal the scout company is incredibly oversized as they try to recover. It's completely unclear if those scouts will eventually turn into Primaris marines though, with some people desperately grabbing onto a single sentence buried deep in the book that further muddied the waters. The to this particular question clearly that it would make no sense to keep making the old marines when they suffer from a flaw that was slowly destroying the entire bloodline while, at least as far as anyone knew at the time, the Primaris didn't have any such issue.

So in answer to your original question nobody knows and there's what appears to be a deliberate lack of information that would support either argument.

I really want old space marines to be able to be upgraded. There’s so many good characters that I don’t want to be left behind.

It’s just that most hams seem to take for granted that they can, while nothing says either way.

Edit: it says at the end of Baal that they get the setup needed to make new Primaris, at least from initiates. Lots of emotion about the prospect however.

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 27, 2018

CaptainAttitude
May 31, 2003

This haircut was a good idea.
I finished Red Tithe today and I swear there were hints that the Carcarodons are descended from loyalist Night Lords. Anybody else pick up on that?

CaptainAttitude fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 28, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Moose-Alini posted:

I really want old space marines to be able to be upgraded. There’s so many good characters that I don’t want to be left behind.

It’s just that most hams seem to take for granted that they can, while nothing says either way.

Edit: it says at the end of Baal that they get the setup needed to make new Primaris, at least from initiates. Lots of emotion about the prospect however.

I could be wrong but I thought the primaris geneseed could basically be applied as an upgrade to existing marines?

I'm sure popular characters will get extra organs at some point. Or maybe some custodes brand alchemy hand waving to make them sufficiently not-obsolete.

The trick will be making it an interesting narrative instead of "lol everyone got more space steroids, also lets play Kevin Siembieda's Rift RPG".

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

DancingShade posted:

I could be wrong but I thought the primaris geneseed could basically be applied as an upgrade to existing marines?

I'm sure popular characters will get extra organs at some point. Or maybe some custodes brand alchemy hand waving to make them sufficiently not-obsolete.

The trick will be making it an interesting narrative instead of "lol everyone got more space steroids, also lets play Kevin Siembieda's Rift RPG".
It would echo what they did with the people close to the primarchs, like Luther and Kor Phaeron, that was too old to become real space marines during the great crusade nicely.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CaptainAttitude posted:

I finished Red Tithe today and I swear there were hints that the Carcarodons are descended from loyalist Night Lords. Anybody else pick up on that?

They've been confirmed to be Raven Guard descendants. The pre-Corax Raven Guard were... not very nice people, and after the Heresy, Corax took everyone left in the legion who kept to the old ways and exiled them to hunt forever in the darkness above the ecliptic plane.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

They've been confirmed to be Raven Guard descendants. The pre-Corax Raven Guard were... not very nice people, and after the Heresy, Corax took everyone left in the legion who kept to the old ways and exiled them to hunt forever in the darkness above the ecliptic plane.

They haven’t been confirmed either way exactly there’s a bunch of fluff for the night lords theory and one of the Horus heresy black books just straight up says they are raven guard with the red tithe author saying in interviews maybe both are true and that his books will explore that.

The joys of vaguely conflicting canon!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It wouldn't be the first time that a chapter incorporated loyalists from legions that turned traitor, would it?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

DancingShade posted:

That's exactly it. I'm looking for anything in universe to support that. Not calling you out, but hoping you know where?

I hope I'm not coming off like a dick telling people they are wrong. I sincerely want the answer to this question, but as far as I can tell, there's no hint in canon that this is a thing, but a single off hand Facebook post started the whole belief.

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 28, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Randalor posted:

It wouldn't be the first time that a chapter incorporated loyalists from legions that turned traitor, would it?

Well if the Ultramarinea did it with the II and 19th......

(18th? Can't remember)

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Waroduce posted:

Well if the Ultramarinea did it with the II and 19th......

(18th? Can't remember)

2nd and 11th.

18th is Salamanders, 19th Raven Guard.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Groetgaffel posted:

It would echo what they did with the people close to the primarchs, like Luther and Kor Phaeron, that was too old to become real space marines during the great crusade nicely.

Multiple new Kor Phaerons :stonk:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Pyrolocutus posted:

Multiple new Kor Phaerons :stonk:

What could possibly go wrong? :pseudo:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Old Man Yarrick uplifted to a marine body would be fantastic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No it wouldn't. The we wouldn't have stuff like other marines calling a younger battle brother an idiot for trying to talk over Yarrick.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just don't want him to get older and die. :ohdear:

It would also prepare him for when Gazgul comes back and he's the size of Mortarion.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

moths posted:

It would also prepare him for when Gazgul comes back and he's the size of Mortarion.

I think in the current timeline Gazgul never left Armageddon so they are still duking it out now with a gently caress ton of world eaters hanging out also.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
also Yarrick is gay

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

moths posted:

The waaagh will keep him alive.
He's to good of a scrapper for the boyz to let him die

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

moths posted:

Father Time is the secret 5th Chaos God and he claims everyone, in the end.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

a lovely king posted:

also Yarrick is gay

Really? Didn’t think GW was willing to write a gay character

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yarrick has eyes only for Ghazzy

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya well have you seen the size of his Waaagh?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Has the 40k lore ever touched upon doing asteroid mining etc or has that just been wholly ignored due to utilization of space resources not being very conductive to tabletop spacemans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I know the Night Lord novels have a rogue trader crew mining an asteroid at one point (and then the Night Lords arrive and... yeah...). As far as large-scale mining officially sanctioned by the Imperium, probably not when they can just set up shop on a planet and stripmine it for all useable resources with less overall effort.