Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

FAUXTON posted:

grack dropping paperweights on pens to validate getting new pens

I just got it three days ago, that's the sad thing.

The nib isn't damaged, though, so I'll have to find a body to put it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

I just got it three days ago, that's the sad thing.

The nib isn't damaged, though, so I'll have to find a body to put it in.

Is that a Pilot? There should be a number of places selling wooden bodies that take Pilot sections.

Edit: https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/seller/fonglaiwoodworks here's a bunch using 743 sections.

Dad Hominem fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 17, 2022

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dad Hominem posted:

Is that a Pilot? There should be a number of places selling wooden bodies that take Pilot sections.

Edit: https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/seller/fonglaiwoodworks here's a bunch using 743 sections.

Thanks, but it's not going to help as I managed to crack the section as well. The nib is undamaged, but the rest of the pen is in pieces.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

heads up! there's two verrry nice Sailors over at Goulet Pens with what amounts to an $140 discount for what sounds like very minor reasons

https://www.gouletpens.com/collecti...=39926191947819
https://www.gouletpens.com/collecti...=39928275042347

also, i dropped a few hundos on fountain pen stuff that will hopefully arrive a little bit after my grad school graduation/new job start :kiddo:

i'll finally get to have an e95s! also, i can't stop showing off and i got 3 people to consider getting a pen, and 2 of them seem like a sure thing. turns out poets like having nice writing implements :v:

i'm going through my Goulet samples and Robert Orsted African Gold made my sink look like i milked Shrek in it. hilarous ink. in the right lighting it looks like a subdued gold, in others it looks like stale piss.

Monteverde Keylime Pie is a bit too ghostly and watery, but maybe that was just the Jinhao Medium making it look like that. i got a new Jinhao and a 1.5 nib on the way, anyway (i busted the last one while trying to remove the nib)

Diamine Cocoa Shimmer and Enchanted Ocean are gorgeous, and they go particularly well together too. highly, highly recommend them.

edit: i keep getting ads for Colorverse SM1 & COSTAR and it is tortorous. genuinely testing me

Ramie fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 26, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'll be buying one of those Jinhao 100 Centennial pens they're proably not great but The rainbow one sure is pretty. It's also super hard to find but whatever. I found on on aliexpress and can't not order it.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

my X750 was punching way above its weight in terms of feel. lovely weight, and i miss it enough to gamble on the QA again with a Shimmering Sands version. there aren't a lot of rainbow pens at these pricepoints, are there?

meaning, shimering and such. like raden pens

Ramie fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 26, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My shimmering sands should come out of hiding, I currently only have my Moonman C1 with reindeer on it which is a solid pen for the 12 bux I paid for it. My other pens are in a box in the basement because I bought a house and moved before I went back into the office so I just have that one out and in my work bag. they also could probably use a cleaning.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

This month's Delta

It's very orange, and celluloid! And bloody rare

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

tater_salad posted:

I'll be buying one of those Jinhao 100 Centennial pens they're proably not great but The rainbow one sure is pretty. It's also super hard to find but whatever. I found on on aliexpress and can't not order it.

I've got one. I only inked it the once so far, but it was annoyingly picky about rotational angles. Eventually I'll try another type of ink in it to see if it just hates iroshizuku, but I haven't managed to empty enough pens to ink another one up yet… Certainly looks nice, though. Hell of a lot cheaper than a Duofold, too.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/ has 20% off everything today due to it being Kings Day.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
I penabled my Dad last year and I think I created a monster, but it's a lot cheaper for him to indulge in this hobby than his other one - guns & ammo. On the fun side, we've been writing letters since January and it's cool to be able to share a hobby with him.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh I got my 2 brothers into pens... Now we enable each other. My one rear end in a top hat brother will send me links to poo poo Goulet email it Facebook posts talk about. I didn't subscribe for a reason. Oh pretty pen. Oh under $50 oh I'll order one.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

i ordered two X750s so i could give one as part of a birthday gift, im giving my lightly dinged Metro to a friend, and im giving a Hongdian to another friend because on second thought i don't trust the $5 Hero i gave her before. i got one for myself and it was a bitch to clean. the fude nib was real nice though

giving people introductory pens is almost as fun as buying them for myself tbh. turns out the secret to emptying ink bottles is to become your local ink sample dealer

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

catgirlgenius posted:

i ordered two X750s so i could give one as part of a birthday gift, im giving my lightly dinged Metro to a friend, and im giving a Hongdian to another friend because on second thought i don't trust the $5 Hero i gave her before. i got one for myself and it was a bitch to clean. the fude nib was real nice though

giving people introductory pens is almost as fun as buying them for myself tbh. turns out the secret to emptying ink bottles is to become your local ink sample dealer

I bought a bunch of shark pens from aliexpress and hand them out when someone expresses interest.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The stub cap of my ohto tasche is now getting reliably stuck in the pen cap and I have to find a way to keep it from doing that. Since the pieces are machined so finely, it rules out tape. I'd like to be able to remove the cap at some point so it rules out glue.

I'm thinking that the next best solution is using mounting adhesive or poster adhesive putty. I can remove the cap and clean off the putty if I need to, and it should be able to stick together otherwise.

Does anyone see this as an incredibly bad idea, or have a more sensible recommendation (besides glue)?

I dunno why they didn't just allow it to be screwed on.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I don't have that pen, but the reviews I've seen of it says that the body that the cap posts on screws onto the section. Did you pull off the back and sheer the threads off?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Chip McFuck posted:

I don't have that pen, but the reviews I've seen of it says that the body that the cap posts on screws onto the section. Did you pull off the back and sheer the threads off?

No. There don't seem to be any threads on that section.

The only part with threads is the one that has the cartridge, which is working just fine. Unfortunately, the troublesome part is at the extreme end of the pen. I think it held together with just friction but I guess it smoothed out or something. I got the pen 2nd hand so I dunno if something else was there that's missing now.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bought a jar of Noodler's Air Corps Blue Black recently but something seems wrong:

It starts off beautiful after filling a pen (Lamy Safari 1.5mm) but quickly gets lighter until it doesn't flow at all.

What is going on here?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You may have another ink in the pen that it's reacting with and getting gummed up. Try rinsing the pen out thoroughly with a little bit of dish soap in mildly warm water, and if you have a nib flosser available, clean between the tines. You may also pull out the feed and let it soak in the soapy water for half an hour, give it a good rinse and refill the pen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I bought a jar of Noodler's Air Corps Blue Black recently but something seems wrong:

It starts off beautiful after filling a pen (Lamy Safari 1.5mm) but quickly gets lighter until it doesn't flow at all.

What is going on here?

Ink starvation. The pen is laying down so much ink so quickly that the air exchange in to the reservoir can't keep up. It creates a vacuum in the reservoir, impeding ink flow.

Choices are to make the pen write drier, modify the feed, or use different ink.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

So a while ago I bought that Capless LS that was later recalled and was in contact with Pilot, who told me to get in touch if it developed the problem for which they recalled it.

Fast forward to some time ago where I notice the exact rust that caused the recall. I get in touch again, and they tell me to ship the pen to their Germany HQ, whence they'd forward it to Japan to get fixed and return it to me.

I did so, and about a month later, they called me to say "you know what, this is taking too long, what if we just sent you a brand new one? Also what if we threw in some extra stuff for your trouble?"

Possibly the best customer service I've ever received, given that I can, to them, only be some rando who bought a pen? I'm very impressed.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Something new today, but not a Delta

A lovely Filcao "Silvia" in green ripple ebonite and black celluloid. It's a button filler as well. Too bad this company went out of business when the owner died.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

It's here and the boys are back together.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Having read a few pages here, a few weeks ago I bought a Lamy Safari with an EF nib, and I hadn't read a lot about ink but picked up a bottle of Pilot shin-kai ink.

I really love the combination, I plan each day in a notebook and take notes on what I'm doing because it helps my brain. The ink is such a beautiful colour and I love the variation in intensity. ❤️

I have a 1990s Sheaffer Balance which I was bought as a kid, but haven't used it for years because it puts out a lot of ink and bleeds through the paper. Maybe it would be better with nicer ink than Sheaffer cartridges.

I was thinking about buying a "nice" pen but might just get another Safari and put different nice ink in it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

knox_harrington posted:

Having read a few pages here, a few weeks ago I bought a Lamy Safari with an EF nib, and I hadn't read a lot about ink but picked up a bottle of Pilot shin-kai ink.

I really love the combination, I plan each day in a notebook and take notes on what I'm doing because it helps my brain. The ink is such a beautiful colour and I love the variation in intensity. ❤️

I have a 1990s Sheaffer Balance which I was bought as a kid, but haven't used it for years because it puts out a lot of ink and bleeds through the paper. Maybe it would be better with nicer ink than Sheaffer cartridges.

I was thinking about buying a "nice" pen but might just get another Safari and put different nice ink in it.

Get a TWSBI Eco!

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

get 10 Chinese pens on ebay :getin:

but seriously, ebay is very much worth keeping an eye on. the other day i saw someone selling a brand new Wing sun 698 + 50ml iroshizuku bottle for $26 + shipping. i'm burning through my 15ml bottles quite fast so hey, it's a reasonable expense that comes with a free pen!

"mcq1954" was the seller's name and they had good feedback, so. we'll see.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My pen collection is mostly cool looking cheap pens. And some vintage ones. And one $100 new pen. I usually use my cheap pens.. there's nothing wrong with filling your drawers with tons of moonmen or jinhaos

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

First the most important thing: shin-kai was also my first bottled ink, you chose well. Keep with the iroshizuku inks and it will be hard to go wrong.

The sheaffer likely has an underlying problem and would be in need of service.

A nice pen... as you might have read, I really like the TWSBI 580. An F is good, an M is very smooth. I also have an Opus 88 Koloro with a B which is a super smooth and wet writer, I might get another in M as they are pleasant to hold. The TWSBI Vac700R Iris in M is just a dream https://www.gouletpens.com/products/twsbi-vac700r-fountain-pen-iris?variant=32951089922091

So yeah, I get mostly €80~€100 pens that I rotate between. You do you!

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
As I was running out of ink when travelling, I just added some water to have at least something. Worked okish for that, but later on of course came out terribly light. For some strange reason, I thought that adding a little black would make it more readable, even though the original was blood red. What I did not expect was that the two, even though water soluble, are not immiscible with each other.. Now I get sometimes black, most of the time pale red. Not sure if this is a good thing or not, but it is interesting. It is hard to photograph, but apparent live..

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
That looks pretty cool!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

knox_harrington posted:

What size nib is the sheaffer? Also what kind of paper are you using? If you're not using something meant for ink pens then that could be it. The kind of paper in most notebooks will not hold up especially well with anything but the smallest fountain pen nibs, of which your Lamy's EF would be one. If that is indeed the case, try it on something like Rhodia paper. If that is what you've been doing then ignore this, it's probably in need of some adjusting or repair.

Its also possibly the ink. Some inks seem to just... explode out. I like pilot black for a cheap black ink but I've found it will murder paper if I'm not careful.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Sheaffer is an M. I had been using it on Moleskine notebooks which had the biggest bleed through issues, though most recently have been using Leuchtturm. It isn't going through the paper, now but I think just needs more real estate for my writing than the dotted format of the pages allows.

The first 3 lines of my messy notes here are with the Sheaffer M and blue/black cartridge ink, the last 2 lines are the Lamy EF with Iroshizuku shin-kai.

I'll try and get a converter for the Sheaffer and try some nice ink.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

knox_harrington posted:

The Sheaffer is an M. I had been using it on Moleskine notebooks which had the biggest bleed through issues, though most recently have been using Leuchtturm. It isn't going through the paper, now but I think just needs more real estate for my writing than the dotted format of the pages allows.

The first 3 lines of my messy notes here are with the Sheaffer M and blue/black cartridge ink, the last 2 lines are the Lamy EF with Iroshizuku shin-kai.

I'll try and get a converter for the Sheaffer and try some nice ink.

You can also buy a syringe or a bunch of little disposable pipettes and put nice ink in an empty cartridge, which is what I do with all my Pilot cartridge pens because the Pilot converter is awful.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
What are my options if I wanted to teach myself a handwriting... script? for everyday writing? I'd like to write pretty but not take an hour for a single line. I know that 'just practise' is the answer, but what do I use as a 'source'? Just look for books/exercise workbooks?

My current handwriting is not terrible, I did a whole bunch of 'technical writing' in high school, which is meant for blueprints and technical stuff I mostly write in block; perfectly legible but kinda scrawly if I don't make a deliberate effort.

This is what I was taught (I don't write exactly like this, of course, but I practised this for years so I incorporated it)

I was thinking of trying to pick up an italic script since I think it'd mesh well with what I'm currently doing (I also love stub nibs) I've had "Tom Gourdie" written down for a while now but his stuff seems to be from the 80s and I can't find anything to actually buy, so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Also feel free to throw in some recommendations for cursive (Spencerian?) script, the years of technical writing overwrote my primary school cursives but I'd love to get it back at some point.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Goulet sells a couple books on cursive that could be worth a look.

knox_harrington posted:

Moleskin paper is notoriously terrible for fountain pens, so yeah the Leuchtturm is a much better choice, though I'm not much of a fan, too toothy imo.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Andersonpens is having a fire sale on Noodler’s ink due to a recent Reddit post about Tardiff’s politics/Bernanke Red. Looks like most bottles are going for half off. They won’t be restocking. Goulet also looking at their relationship with Noodler’s.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
...oh, wow, yeah, it looks like Noodler's has decided to go full mask-off anti-Semitic (as opposed to 'wow, I really hope you're just a guy with weird opinions about economics, let me check your Twitter for Opinions'), which is very probably the end of him, especially now that he's decided to rebottle the offending color as Censor Red.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Who could have possibly seen THAT coming?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

gschmidl posted:

Who could have possibly seen THAT coming?

Nobody, this is a complete shock to the community. How could he have betrayed us like this? Now where do we go for reasonably priced inks while pretending everything is cool?

Abyss posted:

Andersonpens is having a fire sale on Noodler’s ink due to a recent Reddit post about Tardiff’s politics/Bernanke Red. Looks like most bottles are going for half off. They won’t be restocking. Goulet also looking at their relationship with Noodler’s.
I'd love to have a link to the thread by the way so I can forward it to lacouronne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:ughh: