Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

It appears that EARONS/Golden State Killer has been arrested. 100% DNA match!

We have to wait until noon California time for the press conference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Metaline posted:

Was he before Ramirez? Were some of their crimes confused?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Metaline posted:

EARONS? Was this the guy who stalked the guy who said he'd shoot him at a town meeting?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Metaline posted:

Link?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hoooly poo poo. I was sure EARONS must be dead.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

glad she is dead posted:

Hoooly poo poo. I was sure EARONS must be dead.

Same :randstare:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rumour is he's a former cop named Robert Ruh. According to IMDB he appeared on an episode of 'Top Cops' in 1992. :stare:

Edit: Nvm, it's apparently not him.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 14:28 on Apr 25, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Milo and POTUS posted:

EARONS? Was this the guy who stalked the guy who said he'd shoot him at a town meeting?

I'm pretty sure that's who it was. God drat, that's absolutely insane.

glad she is dead posted:

Rumour is he's a former cop named Robert Ruh. According to IMDB he appeared on an episode of 'Top Cops' in 1992. :stare:

Even more insane.

I figured they'd never get him.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Metaline posted:

Does anyone have some background on the SA connection? I'm not finding anything in SAclopedia.

Quesselin
May 25, 2007

Men freely believe that which they desire
In would-be-serial killer-news, Peter Madsen, the submarine guy, has just been found guilty and sentenced to life in prison.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Metaline posted:

Whoa... I thought that dude would be dead by now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Whoa... I thought that dude would be dead by now.

Same, or in prison. I wonder what made him stop. Or maybe he just got waaaaaaaay better at it.

edit:
Just realized that not only is this person going to be outed as a horrible serial killer and rapist, but also for having a small dick.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 13:20 on Apr 25, 2018

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Wow, I'd filed him away with the zodiac as "probably dead, never going to be solved." That's crazy.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Quesselin posted:

In would-be-serial killer-news, Peter Madsen, the submarine guy, has just been found guilty and sentenced to life in prison.

Here’s an article about his sentencing.

As a reminder to everyone who hasn’t been obsessively watching how Denmark dealt with it, Madsen is the one who initially said Wall was fine when he last saw her, then changed the story to “she slipped and fell,” then “oh wait no the hatch fell down on her head,” to “okay I killed her but it was an impulsive decision,” to “okay okay I had brought along murder supplies and murdered her on purpose.”

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Peter Madsen got sentenced to life in prison.:toot:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/04/peter-madsen-life-sentence-kim-wall-murder-case-180425081225140.html

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

So apparently EARONS / the Golden State Killer might also be Mr. Cruel, the Australian serial rapist. I'm not sure if that news made it to the thread yet.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Goon Danton posted:

So apparently EARONS / the Golden State Killer might also be Mr. Cruel, the Australian serial rapist. I'm not sure if that news made it to the thread yet.

Jesus Christ.

I'm genuinely surprised (and glad) they caught him. I figured he'd be dead, then I go to his wiki and find out he called one of his victims in 2001?? This fucker deserves to rot for whatever time he has left.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This is gonna be one hell of a press conference.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.thedailybeast.com/joseph-james-deangelo-is-suspect-in-golden-state-killer-case-according-to-co-author-of-ill-be-gone-in-the-dark

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/Billyjensen/status/989112040160743427

🙈🙈🙈

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Goon Danton posted:

Wow, I'd filed him away with the zodiac as "probably dead, never going to be solved." That's crazy.

I feel like Zodiac is much more likely to be dead because there's about a ten year difference there between when the two were operating. ONS was, according to this new report, born in about 1945 and is now in his early 70's. Zodiac on the other hand would've been killing by 1966, so in order for him to be the same age as ONS he'd have to be only like 20 years old at the time of that first suspected Zodiac killing. Which isn't impossible, just unlikely, it's more likely he was like 30ish around that time, which would make him over 80 years old by now and possibly even 90.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hope Patton's wife's book helped make a connection for this.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like Zodiac is much more likely to be dead because there's about a ten year difference there between when the two were operating. ONS was, according to this new report, born in about 1945 and is now in his early 70's. Zodiac on the other hand would've been killing by 1966, so in order for him to be the same age as ONS he'd have to be only like 20 years old at the time of that first suspected Zodiac killing. Which isn't impossible, just unlikely, it's more likely he was like 30ish around that time, which would make him over 80 years old by now and possibly even 90.

Yeah, Zodiac's crimes are the work of an older, more mature man.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A younger murderer murders like this, but an older murderer murders like this!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

You joke, but it's generally true, especially in serial and/or sexually motivated murders.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah I know. I'm just kind of excited that they caught this rear end in a top hat. It sucks that he got to live nearly all his life free and who knows how many other people he hurt, but getting him hopefully will give some of the families closure.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Goon Danton posted:

Honestly I feel like this is more classic "Australian press trying to latch onto something that makes us globally relevant", but on the other hand I'd sleep better knowing it was one insanely hosed up person rather than two and as a bonus he's locked up on the other side of the world, so I'm torn.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

For Zodiac to have stalked and murdered Cherri Jo Bates in 1966, he'd have to be like 19 or 20 years old(assuming he's about the same age as ONS) at the time. And it's very unlikely that a crime like that would just come out of the blue, meaning that Zodiac would've been committing lesser but still very serious crimes(like the ONS and his Visalia burglaries) in the early 60s when he was like 13 or 14. Again, not impossible, just unlikely.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Whitlam posted:

Honestly I feel like this is more classic "Australian press trying to latch onto something that makes us globally relevant", but on the other hand I'd sleep better knowing it was one insanely hosed up person rather than two and as a bonus he's locked up on the other side of the world, so I'm torn.

Besides loving children, they both seemed to do a lot of things the same. Could very well be the same person.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I assume if they're linking him to crimes in Australia they've established him as having gone there around that time?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Besides loving children, they both seemed to do a lot of things the same. Could very well be the same person.

Mr. Cruel also popped up more or less exactly when the Golden State Killer went quiet. I'd be interested to see if the suspect they have in custody moved to Australia for a while, at least.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oh yeah I'm definitely not ruling it out (I mean if nothing else it's two supremely hosed up series of crimes solved, which is great) but the Australian media also has a tendency to latch onto any international solved crime with "WELL MAYBE THEY ALSO DID <notorious unsolved Australian crime>". Most recently to my memory was blaming some random English murderer for the Claremont serial killings (from what I recall) on little more than "he did a murder and had been to Australia ever" a few years ago (before they caught the guy who probably actually did it).

Afaik, there aren't any witness statements for either that mention an accent. To me that would be a giveaway (in addition to the EAR suspect being in Australia at the appropriate times, of course) - if it's an Australian in America, or an American in Australia, you'd think someone at some point might have mentioned an accent. Australian accents in particular are notoriously difficult to fake. That said I'd totally understand if, in the stress of the moment, the victim didn't notice or recall an accent, or if police wanted to keep that detail secret (although that seems like an identifying feature you'd probably share with the public).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Metaline posted:

Dude attacked my aunt but she survived, so I'm especially glad to hear this.

Quesselin
May 25, 2007

Men freely believe that which they desire

Busket Posket posted:

Here’s an article about his sentencing.

As a reminder to everyone who hasn’t been obsessively watching how Denmark dealt with it, Madsen is the one who initially said Wall was fine when he last saw her, then changed the story to “she slipped and fell,” then “oh wait no the hatch fell down on her head,” to “okay I killed her but it was an impulsive decision,” to “okay okay I had brought along murder supplies and murdered her on purpose.”

The fucker never admitted to killing her. After the hatch-explanation, they found Kim Wall's head without corresponding injuries, so he made up another story about poison gas accidentally killing her.

Which of course means he had to chop her up, donchaknow? As you do, when someone dies accidentally.

Piece of poo poo, I hope he loving rots.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
No idea if it's confirmed yet, but I've read in more than one place that he was rehired as a cop in Exeter after his initial firing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Dude attacked my aunt but she survived, so I'm especially glad to hear this.

You've told us this story before haven't you?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

Mr. Cruel also popped up more or less exactly when the Golden State Killer went quiet. I'd be interested to see if the suspect they have in custody moved to Australia for a while, at least.

No.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Solice Kirsk posted:

You've told us this story before haven't you?

Must've been in another thread.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

Same, or in prison. I wonder what made him stop. Or maybe he just got waaaaaaaay better at it.

edit:
Just realized that not only is this person going to be outed as a horrible serial killer and rapist, but also for having a small dick.

I'm interested to hear why he stopped as well. Maybe it makes me weird, but finding that out is more interesting to me than why serial killers kill. Maybe it is because I just mainlined Mindhunters on Netflix and they have scenes showing Dennis Rader, but the question was on my mind recently.

It seems that the general theory is that certain kinds of serial killers won't stop until they are caught, killed, or locked up on an unrelated crime, but there seem to be some holes in that theory.

Looking forward to finding out more details about who this guy is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
I might be confusing him with another guy but didn't a witness see him injuring himself shortly before he stopped?