Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Orv posted:

The possibility exists though that with a new engine and a new console generation they wouldn't be shackled and create a game that needs to be fixed by modders.

Ahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :smithicide:

The problem is that Bethesda doesn't know how to design games that well. A new engine won't help with the largest problems of Bethesda games at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Bethesda basically release a glorified SDK with prefab assets and lets other people make their games for them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Andrast posted:

The problem is that Bethesda doesn't know how to design games that well. A new engine won't help with the largest problems of Bethesda games at all.

That was the joke, yes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Orv posted:

That was the joke, yes.

Sorry, jokes are not allowed.

I want Bethesda to stay with gamebryo because I have memorised a shitload of console commands for that engine and I don't want to learn new ones.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Also if their new Gamebryo didn't support modding they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I could swear I heard that Bethesda wasn't going to be making anymore Fallouts; and it would seem to me that ESO is there so they don't have to make anymore single-player Elder Scrolls games (I guess?). So I wonder what they intend to release next.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Seventh Arrow posted:

I could swear I heard that Bethesda wasn't going to be making anymore Fallouts; and it would seem to me that ESO is there so they don't have to make anymore single-player Elder Scrolls games (I guess?). So I wonder what they intend to release next.

Nah, ESO was made by Zenimax, Bethesda will almost certainly make a new proper TES game.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Seventh Arrow posted:

Prey 2 :smith:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Seventh Arrow posted:

Bethesda spent tons of money in courts to keep the Fallout IP away from the remains of Interplay, while ESO was a gigantic failure, commercially and otherwise. There will be a Fallout 4 and TES6.

I personally only hope they get Obsidian to work on Fallout 4 otherwise it will be a trainwreck.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I enjoyed playing Fallout 3 and had more fun randomly exploring in it than New Vegas. :greenangel:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fallout 4 will be fine regardless.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'd rather Bethesda keep creating sprawling, massive, buggy piles of fun than something small and designed well.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

I'd rather Bethesda keep creating sprawling, massive, buggy piles of fun than something small and designed well.

Frankly, the more they try to create smaller, highly designed content, the worse it is. See: Any of Skyrim's questlines.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't get any of these mods to not instantly crash FO3 and the load order is what they're saying it should be and I have the unofficial patch and the FO3edit merged patched for FWEdit and I'm starting to remember why this was always a trainwreck for me and why I refuse to uninstall New Vegas. gently caress.

e: Oh good, FO3 won't launch with them all turned off either.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 31, 2014

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

EDIT: To the dude above me, have you limited processors in the documents/my games Fallout.ini or installed windows live?

So, speaking of Fallout 3, I got it and applied a load of fixes, got windows live, disabled it, large address aware, all the bells and whistles, great.

But the drat launcher is still hosed up, I can open the Options menu but I can't interact with the options menu, I had to change resolution using the .ini file. Plus the same thing happens with the Data Files popup. It pops up and... I can't close it, can't select anything.

I need to select the DLC in Data Files though as they are unchecked, but I can't interact with any options and the red x does nothing. So what would cause something like that?

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 31, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've got a steam-related problem.

My mom plays Zumba / Plants vs Zombies on my account in offline mode. As of yesterday, she claims logging in and going into offline mode does nothing - it keeps alternately logging each of us out.

What's up, and how do I fix it?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Xachariah posted:

So, speaking of Fallout 3, I got it and applied a load of fixes, got windows live, disabled it, large address aware, all the bells and whistles, great.

But the drat launcher is still hosed up, I can open the Options menu but I can't interact with the options menu, I had to change resolution using the .ini file. Plus the same thing happens with the Data Files popup. It pops up and... I can't close it, can't select anything.

I need to select the DLC in Data Files though as they are unchecked, but I can't interact with any options and the red x does nothing. So what would cause something like that?

No idea, but you can use the same tool you'd use to pick the load order to enable dlc stuff.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Doesn't Skyrim run on the Creation Engine rather than Gamebryo?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Doesn't Skyrim run on the Creation Engine rather than Gamebryo?

It's just gamebryo with a different name for PR reasons.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

EDIT: To the dude above me, have you limited processors in the documents/my games Fallout.ini or installed windows live?

The unofficial patch did that, but I think the problem may be that that only works with GFWL.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Andrast posted:

It's just gamebryo with a different name for PR reasons.
And the PR worked perfectly as illustrated by that post.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

No idea, but you can use the same tool you'd use to pick the load order to enable dlc stuff.

OK that sorted it, thanks.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Palpek posted:

And the PR worked perfectly as illustrated by that post.

I remember a month before the game came out I was trying to debate in a previous Steam thread that the game would be as usual junky and buggy as gently caress because it was still running Gamebryo. Gamebryo with a coat of paint and a new name, but Gamebryo. And people kept just quoting over and over the Bethesda's PR guy claiming it was a new engine (and thus lying), but them goons were ferocious. They really didn't want to believe it would be the same mess that Fallout 3 and Oblivion were.

At least the game was much more fun than Oblivion.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I loved those arguments because people would keep clearly pointing out stuff from say, the QuakeCon trailer a year beforehand that clearly showed it was Gamebryo and just no-one would believe it.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
drat there's a lot of hate for Bethesda up in this thread. I always enjoyed their games on console. Granted modding makes TES considerably more awesome, but it was still fun vanilla.

Except Oblivion. Oblivion was poo poo. :colbert:

Xander77 posted:

I've got a steam-related problem.

My mom plays Zumba / Plants vs Zombies on my account in offline mode. As of yesterday, she claims logging in and going into offline mode does nothing - it keeps alternately logging each of us out.

What's up, and how do I fix it?

Tell her to launch the games directly from her computer without going through Steam at all. If she's using Windows, should be located in C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/Common .

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
YMMV, but for me Skyrim was hardly the same mess as the Fallouts. I had literally crash-free experience and it was their first fantasy offering that I finished :shrug:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Keep in mind, it's not like Gamebryo is a monolithic block that's ever-unchanging. Bethesda did do a bunch of poo poo to it between FO3 and Skyrim.

Civ 5 runs on Gamebryo. so does Bully. So does Morrowind.

it's really Bethesda's particular implementation that's .... unusual.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Morrowind was as buggy as Oblivion, it's just all those other things were interesting enough to make people forget that.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Hey I just saw that extra copies of Risk of Rain from the Humble Bundle 4-pack must be redeemed before November 25th, sooooo take some more risk of rain

https://www.humblebundle.com/s?gift=sPkDn4quuWrDHZf6

https://www.humblebundle.com/s?gift=zvkeRkwK5mTb7TXS

Drunk Tomato fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 31, 2014

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Drunk Tomato posted:

Hey I just saw that extra copies of Risk of Rain from the Humble Bundle 4-pack must be redeemed before November 25th, sooooo take some more risk of rain

https://www.humblebundle.com/s?gift=PpmrzPV3dNsWUr8F

Nabbed this one. :cheers:

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Thanks! redeemed this one.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Some people have discussed Guild Wars 2 here in the past. It's currently on sale at https://www.guildwars2.com/ for $20. There is no sub fee, so you can get a hell of a lot of hours of entertainment for just $20. The Guild Wars 2 thread can fill you in on any changes better than I can.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

revdrkevind posted:

New Vegas:
-The final fight is still kind of bad

I don't know, being told over and over again what a terrifying monster the final bad guy was, only for the Courier to literally frighten him into running away like a scared child (and then shooting him in the back of the head as he ran) before turning around and telling the assembled sides,"Yeah, New Vegas is staying independent, anybody got a problem with that? :clint:" was a pretty amazing ending.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
At least Lanius actually put up a fight.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Bought a game for a dollar thirty, got a foil card selling for over 2 dollars. :toot: Continue feeding my addiction, steam!

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....

0lives posted:

Bought a game for a dollar thirty, got a foil card selling for over 2 dollars. :toot: Continue feeding my addiction, steam!

Who buys these things??? Are foils better for any reason other than rarerer?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

gently caress it I give up, installing even a single mod breaks it and it crashes on launch. I have all the dependencies in the right order with the merged patch and script extender and the moment I touch the files other than the ini it breaks so to hell with it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Floridiot posted:

there are separate foil badges that increase penis length by 2 inches each

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Floridiot posted:

Suckers Classy Gentlemen mostly, also you can a foil badge or something, I don't know, I sell all my cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
I would also take Gamebryo with some lovely duck tape around it for next gen and mods over much better engine and no mods. So will Bethesda of course since it gives them legs a mile long on PCs. However, a man can dream of something new/better and still be moddable.

Oh, and yes, Morrowind was buggy, but to this day it's still the best game Bethesda made. The setting was very interesting.

For Fallout 3 trouble, there is a thread for that. In general though, make sure the order is good, you ran the Boss, and ran archive invalidation. Plus install mods from mod manager not manually, otherwise you will have trouble.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713 - Modding thread.

• Locked thread