Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
What's interesting is that the most explicitly racist party (SD) hasn't really had any clear-cut positive messaging for the future. There's no obvious MAGA comparison to make here, because they don't peddle in the sort of "we will make life better for you!" other than extremely vague and frankly riksdags-wide platitudes (pensions! taxes!) Instead, they sell a vision of "brown people = bad and they need to be kicked home" which, while not something that is impossible for them to deliver to some degree, the results wouldn't be a substantially better life for the average Swede. It would certainly not be a noticeable trade-off for, say, oh, I dunno, rampaging power prices coupled with rising inflation. Them insisting that "these issues S left us can't be fixed in 4 years see ya in 2026" is not the talk of someone confident in their capability to deliver on promises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the hard-right parties get where they are by being the only ones willing to front a lot of moderately popular stuff and voice certain resentments

Frp in norway has as its long-standing strategy to find an issue where the population is divided ~30-70, pick the 30% position and then try to polarise the discourse around that issue - they did this with immigration and various culture war stuff, they (or rather ALP, the predecssor to Frp) did it with apartheid south africa back in the day, they do it with car issues, etc. if they can find an issue where there's elite but not popular consensus they'll try to capitalise on that differential. if you do this consistently enough, you build credibility and eventually you get a pretty devoted following.

unfortunately for them, this following actually expected them to deliver on some key issues once they got into government. some of it, they managed (more money for roads!), but it was often structured in such a way as to make it a loser issue: instead of taking the money from elsewhere in the budget, we will use a complicated joint funding scheme which involves toll station revenues to be abstracted into the general infrastructure package - this for a party which had clear and credible opposition to toll roads as a big strength. so as the room to do their own politics kept shrinking and other young parties - Rødt and MDG in particular - realised that they could do the same thing, they took serious blows and have had a hard time getting back to where they were. now they're trying to rebuild their credibility, but it's a much harder environment to do so and they keep having to balance stuff like outright climate denialism and the Weird Right with the finance capital interests backing them.

so long as you never have to deliver and have no principles, it's not *that* difficult to build a reasonably popular right-wing project. the right has a lot of cultural momentum and anxieties going for it. it *is* difficult to reconcile that with government, however, though they can cause a lot of damage (Nye Veier, for instance, is a complete disaster and it's going to be really hard to get rid of it) and in becoming popular they force some really unpleasant fringe stuff into the mainstream.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

V. Illych L. posted:

(Nye Veier, for instance, is a complete disaster and it's going to be really hard to get rid of it)

Oh god christ don't get me started on that motherfucker of a concept

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nice piece of fish posted:

Oh god christ don't get me started on that motherfucker of a concept

by all means, go off! i only just know enough to be horrified

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

E:

Disregard

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

DF dude is mad he can't use the hard R n-bomb on Facebook, but not to worry, TV2 has got his back and won't challenge his small revisions.

https://www.tv2ostjylland.dk/horsens/byraadsmedlem-er-vred-har-faaet-fjernet-opslag-med-pyrus-forsvar

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Not a good day for TV2 I guess, seeing as Thomas Kristensen also compared Lukaku to King Kong twice, during the world cup match.

But dont worry, he already cleared himself.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Moderates seriously need to stop proposing sensible policies, like decriminalizing all drugs, alongside the neoliberal garbage. I don't want to like anything Løkke touches.

Woodenlung posted:

Not a good day for TV2 I guess, seeing as Thomas Kristensen also compared Lukaku to King Kong twice, during the world cup match.

But dont worry, he already cleared himself.

Yikes.

Read the comments to die instantly.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Moderates seriously need to stop proposing sensible policies, like decriminalizing all drugs, alongside the neoliberal garbage. I don't want to like anything Løkke touches.

Giving people access to said drugs through organised means is not part of the package, though. And selling it would still be illegal, so what's the point, really.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

THE BAR posted:

Giving people access to said drugs through organised means is not part of the package, though. And selling it would still be illegal, so what's the point, really.

Not punishing people that need help?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

THE BAR posted:

Not punishing possession, for one. It doesn't really matter how they want to do it, anything is better than current practices and I don't see anyone else going far beyond "Let's trial run coffee shops".

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Not punishing people that need help?

SplitSoul posted:

Not punishing possession, for one. It doesn't really matter how they want to do it, anything is better than current practices and I don't see anyone else going far beyond "Let's trial run coffee shops".

It's a step in the right direction, but not nearly enough for me to throw them a vote, is what I'm saying.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Russia status, looks bad.

https://svenska.yle.fi/a/7-10023326

quote:

Väldigt lite tyder på att Ryssland var berett på att EU skulle ställa om sin energipolitik så snabbt och totalt som nu håller på att ske.

En annan fundamental förändring som har överraskat Kreml är hur snabbt Finland och Sverige bestämde sig för att ansöka om Natomedlemskap.

Lmao that they're surprised. When they stopped acting rationally was the day we stopped thinking we could reason with them.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

His Divine Shadow posted:

Russia status, looks bad.

https://svenska.yle.fi/a/7-10023326

Lmao that they're surprised. When they stopped acting rationally was the day we stopped thinking we could reason with them.

I, too, am surprised. I expect that the EU would appease Russia for many more years, so we could keep huffing their gas.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SplitSoul posted:

DF dude is mad he can't use the hard R n-bomb on Facebook, but not to worry, TV2 has got his back and won't challenge his small revisions.

https://www.tv2ostjylland.dk/horsens/byraadsmedlem-er-vred-har-faaet-fjernet-opslag-med-pyrus-forsvar

He should be deported for failing to use the proper Danish version of the word. It's not Engelsk Folkeparti.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ostburgare is very reasonable, ostmacka is probably technically correct but just adds a layer of confusion.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Ostborgare

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Googla litt og macka kommer enten fra tysk eller romanisk.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

If cheeseburger is good enough for norway, it's good enough for the sweedes. petition denied.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

sverigefolkmaktparti???

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Folkestyre has some use in Denmark :shrug:

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

teen witch posted:

sverigefolkmaktparti???

parti? are we in france? :argh:

sverigefolkmaktsfördelningen

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Feliday Melody posted:

I, too, am surprised. I expect that the EU would appease Russia for many more years, so we could keep huffing their gas.
Same, and I'm not convinced otherwise until we're past the winter.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

a lot of the economic damage has started being realised, and the line has been drawn very firmly. there's very little incentive for the europeans to restart gas imports from russia under the present circumstances - consumer prices seem more or less manageable for now, and policymakers are in a position where anything but a very clear hard line against russia is acceptable. the whole energiewende blueprint is gone and not coming back. the geopolitical ramifications of this war are going to be deep, long-term and probably very unpleasant for us.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

V. Illych L. posted:

a lot of the economic damage has started being realised, and the line has been drawn very firmly. there's very little incentive for the europeans to restart gas imports from russia under the present circumstances - consumer prices seem more or less manageable for now, and policymakers are in a position where anything but a very clear hard line against russia is acceptable. the whole energiewende blueprint is gone and not coming back. the geopolitical ramifications of this war are going to be deep, long-term and probably very unpleasant for us.

European LNG imports from Russia have increased by 46%, though.

https://www.politico.eu/article/russia-gas-europe-lng-putin/

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

SplitSoul posted:

European LNG imports from Russia have increased by 46%, though.

https://www.politico.eu/article/russia-gas-europe-lng-putin/

TFA posted:

Statistics shared with POLITICO by the Commission show that between January and September 2022, EU countries imported 16.5 billion cubic meters (bcm) of Russian LNG, up from 11.3 bcm in the same period last year.

The increase in LNG imports is small in comparison to the huge drop in Russian pipeline gas imports, which halved from 105.7 bcm in the first nine months of last year to 54.2 bcm in the same period this year, according to the Commission’s figures. But the LNG uptick cuts against the grain of EU rhetoric and is not without its own inherent risks, energy market analysts said.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Article confirms massive drop in gas imports but of course it needs to be sexy so they try to make it look like LNG is a problem to attract the uninformed.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

Article confirms massive drop in gas imports

And in part replacing it with gas from Azerbaijan (who's importing gas from Russia)

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Showing the Russians who's boss by buying the same product from them more expensively or through intermediary dictatorships.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Getting gas from Azerbeidzjan via the TANAP and TAP, which bypass Russia, and restructuring the EU gas market for more LNG from the world market are absolutely positive developments, and the best we can do in a world with Germans.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SplitSoul posted:

Showing the Russians who's boss by buying the same product from them more expensively or through intermediary dictatorships.

Did you check any actual data before posting any of this, my esteemed friend and fellow poster? A cursory Internet search leads me to think you did not.

So 30-80 million cubic feet a day from Russia, hugely down since 2021.

As you can see, the vast majority of gas is either Norwegian or LNG. I suppose the intermediary dictatorship passing on Norwegian gas is.... Denmark.

In 2022, the majority of LNG to the EU comes from the United Intermediary Dictatorship of America.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/infographics/lng-infrastructure-in-the-eu/

https://www.bruegel.org/dataset/european-natural-gas-imports

In summary, it does not, actually, seem like Europe is "
buying the same product from them more expensively or through intermediary dictatorships".

If you have data to support your bold claim, mayhap now would be a good time to produce it?

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 29, 2022

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

I suppose the intermediary dictatorship passing on Norwegian gas is.... Denmark.

Med plutoniumLNG tvingar vi dansken på knä

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

LNG is more expensive than piped gas in and of itself. Imports of that kind from Russia has increased, as the article I posted states, even if it, obviously, as the article I posted also states, doesn't make up for the shortfall on the other hand, which seems more our problem than the Russians'. Azerbaijan is a dictatorship and they're buying discounted Russian gas while selling Europe more of their own. We've also made a deal some Arab fascists, but we love sucking their dicks already, so no surprise there.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Groda posted:

Getting gas from Azerbeidzjan via the TANAP and TAP, which bypass Russia, and restructuring the EU gas market for more LNG from the world market are absolutely positive developments, and the best we can do in a world with Germans.
Is it positive for the Armenians? Do they matter? Does their democracy matter? Is it positive for the oppressed people in Azerbaijan who wants a democratic Azerbaijan? Does their yearning for a democratic country matter?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ted hitler hunter posted:

Is it positive for the Armenians? Do they matter? Does their democracy matter? Is it positive for the oppressed people in Azerbaijan who wants a democratic Azerbaijan? Does their yearning for a democratic country matter?

No, evidently.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SplitSoul posted:

LNG is more expensive than piped gas in and of itself. Imports of that kind from Russia has increased, as the article I posted states, even if it, obviously, as the article I posted also states, doesn't make up for the shortfall on the other hand, which seems more our problem than the Russians'. Azerbaijan is a dictatorship and they're buying discounted Russian gas while selling Europe more of their own. We've also made a deal some Arab fascists, but we love sucking their dicks already, so no surprise there.

Is there some reason you're ignoring the fact the USA and Norway both *massively* outsell the EU gas than every country you just mentioned?

USA LNG sales *doubled* in 2022. Azerbaijan is a *fraction* of Norwegian sales.

In reality, the *huge* drop in Russian gas sales was filled by Norway and the USA stepping up sales of gas and LNG. Not "Arab fascists" or Azerbaijan reselling Russian gas...

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Because it has nothing to do with my argument.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Groda posted:

our increased use of lng is hurting poorer nations reliant on it
we are more or less exporting our energy crisis to countries like pakistan and bangladesh

and replacing russia with azerbajdzjan is... not exactly an improvement on the whole 'dictatorship attacking a democracy' front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SplitSoul posted:

Because it has nothing to do with my argument.

Perhaps you should clarify exactly what point you were trying to make, because so far what has been shown is:
- huge drop in gas imports from Russia in 2022
- this drop was filled by Norway and the USA
- no significant "re-routing" of any Russian gas via third countries

And please provide some data to support your argument, whatever it is.